Start by marking “The Heroes” as Want to Read:
The Heroes

The Heroes

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  308 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Stories of the heroes of ancient Greece, told in fine poetic prose. Includes accounts of Perseus who slew Medusa the Gorgon, Jason who sought the Golden Fleece, and Theseus who slew the Minotaur. By preserving the Greek spirit in the retelling of these myths, Kingsley gives us plain strength and seriousness, courage, steadfastness, and beauty. Dozens of attractive illustra ...more
Paperback, Illustrated Edition , 240 pages
Published January 23rd 2009 by Yesterday's Classics (first published December 1855)

To ask other readers questions about The Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heroes

Amber
This was a very detailed and in depth look at a trio of Greek Heroes. Occasionally Kingsley nicely ties in a Christian perspective although it is random and unexpected and therefore loses some of it's charm. Additionally, there he sometimes seems to go off on tangents, providing us with too much detail about a very minor character and possibly confusing the reader. By pointing out that this is so and so from the story so and so where such and such happens in the middle of his narrative about ano ...more
Kacie Drake
Judged this book by its lovely antique, red, falling-apart Victorian looking cover. It was basically just going to be a home accent, and then I started reading the preface and it hooked me.

Taken with the grain of salt that anything can be better conveyed and all things will have holes in the narrative, Kinglsey did a magnificent job at speaking so plainly about his Christian perspective on the Greek heroes. It was absolutely delightful.

The read was smooth and easy. The characters were gripping
Michael
I read this book when I was in the fourth grade , and fell in love with it . I read it over and over until I graduated high school . It's still one of my most prized possessions , even though the pages are falling out .
Beverly J.
A somewhat dry retelling of mythos. A veritable antique, I was intrigued by that alone. Would probably have read further than I did if I had had more time with it.
Maya
This was a nice little book, which I read in a 1920's edition - I've always had a fondness for the Greek myths and this was such a sweet looking book. It's certainly packed full of information and contains the stories of Perseus, The Argonauts, and Theseus. However, being of such an age, I did find it very dry and the writing rather unexciting. I would recommend it to anyone looking to build their knowledge of the myths because it has plenty of helpful footnotes and is quite brief, but fir anyon ...more
Leah Beecher
Once again as home schooling time is limited when it comes to the reading of whole books to accompany our unit study of Ancient Greece, we only read the introduction and the first "Hero" story. But both my daughters {5th and 6th} and myself enjoyed the stories. I think the drawback for reading these ancient tales, obviously adapted for children, is that they read a bit like those primary grade "easy reading" works of classics. Instead of getting drawn into an exciting story the tales are told si ...more
David
This is such a great book! I picked up a copy, illustrated by Sir W. Russell Flint, and (oh my god) the illustrations - watercolor over drawings, are just absolutely beautiful. Not only are the illustrations great, but Kingsley's renderings of the three stories from Greek mythology (Perseus, The Argonauts, and Theseus) are likewise flawless and beautiful.

The stories are abridged; a godsend compared to reading the (very long poem) 'Argonautica' of Apollonius Rhodius, which I did before reading K
Lara
Peggy
This was an enjoyable book to read at a time when I didn't have time to indulge in a real page turner. Written in stories and segments that were easily taken on for a short sitting, the book is written in delightfully lyrical language with a certain simplicity and pace that takes one right through the old classics in a nice review of name dropping. Since the copy of the book I read is the 1895 first edition from my grandmother's library, I had not expected to find it still among modern reprintin ...more
Jodi
I have extensively studied Greek Mythology and this wasn't terrible. I'm not sure if is is suitable for children in modern times as sometimes the language is a bit dry.

Sneh Pradhan
This is a pleasant book to read , and would have been delightful if I had found it in my childhood , as I was a big fan of Greek mythology . Nevertheless , this doesn't take away from the fact that the book fluidly expresses the wondrous imagination of the Greeks , their heroes , monsters , damsels in distress et al . It's a special treat as always to trace the origins of several commonplace terms of our English lexicon like Atlas , Icarian , Achilees heel ......just to name a few ...... The boo ...more
Carolyn B.
AMAZING

I think it is a good book for kids who like to learn about mythology because it has the main stories in mythology.
fennie
i love greek mythology. so it pains me to say that despite knowing the stories of perseus, jason & the argonauts and theseus, i have never actually read their stories in their entirety. thanks again to the kindle app, i have filled a hole in my mythology knowledge.

what i found most interesting about these tales weren't the stories themselves, but the way the author writes them from a christian perspective. though part of the book title is 'for my children', i never considered that he would s
Kay
My 9 year-old daughter has been tremendously enjoying these greek mythology stories and can't wait until we pick up the book to read the next chapter. I would agree with another reviewer that mentioned that there are times the author adds in too many details about a location or a minor character that really should have been more of an "in-passing' piece of trivia. It's almost as if he wanted to include more stories, but didn't want to flesh each one out completely, so just included it in the mid ...more
Rob
A collection of stories from mythology I.E. Hurcules
Lawrence
Feb 23, 2014 Lawrence marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
TRUE
Lexi
I would have given this 4 stars, however I'm listening to it on my iPod. And the readers are pretty much terrible. One lady, speaking of the kings and hero's of Greek Mythology has a terrible, nasal, Southern accent. And instead of sounding impressive, her sections sound ridiculous. Another reader, sounds like cross between David Schwimmer (Ross from Friends) and Bullwinkle (yeah, the moose). Terrible.

But the stories themselves, wonderful.

I hate audio books.
Katie
Though I understand the importance of a good foundation in Greek myth, it's never been a joy for me to read, hence the three stars. Kingsley does a good job of introducing kids to mythology. The stories are well written and held my eight year old's interest. My main criticism is that he sometimes gives too much information about the backstory of a minor character, and this can cause some confusion.
Laura of Lurking
I picked this up free on Amazon after having watched an Atlantis based series on TV and wanting to know more of what the myths looked like in the more traditional sense.

This more than covered my expectations. It was written in nice, simple language. Had I found this book as a kid I think it would have been one of my favourites, but even now it held a distinct charm, and I didn't want it to end.
I loved the style in which Charles Kingsley organized this book. The way he really truly wrote it for his children and you could almost imagine him just speaking this story aloud to them. Of the three stories, Perseus and Theseus were my favourites. I found the Argonauts story rather long and confusing (mostly because of all the names - too many names). All in all it was nice though.
Rob
Loved this book as a kid. It was this book that actually got me reading so it will always hold a special place in my library. Mine is a semi-illustrated edition that has little explanatory illustrations down the side of the page.
A.R. Jarvis
Dull. Without realizing it I tried twice to read this book, and both times I barely made it a third of the way through before giving up. It's just not worth the effort to read this tediously flowery version of the Greek myths.
Miriam
Kingsley clearly has a good sense of mythology and the heroes, but the writing style is plodding and old fashioned, and his Christian religious spin on the myths is downright jarring.
Rosina.almonte
I enjoyed a lot that book because in each adventure that he participed he was the hero.He had to fight with many monsters however he always wan.
Rokey Ge
I did not know gods could die in so many ways. Where are their power apart from looking pretty?
Olivia Rose Cairns
Charles Kingsley is my great uncle he writes the best books and I wish I could read his works
hissi
informative but the stories were a bit too long, too detailed maybe?
Rebecca (everyday reader)
A good collection of well loved fairy tales. Good read!!
Catherine
I enjoy a lot reading Greek tales!
Partridge Public
Oct 02, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: JF Kin
Shelves: juniorfiction
Kingsley, Charles
  • Bard of Avon: The Story of William Shakespeare
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • The Story Of The Greeks (1896)
  • Pagoo
  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold
  • The Little Duke
  • Old Greek Stories
  • Augustus Caesar's World
Charles Kingsley was an English clergyman, university professor, historian, and novelist, particularly associated with the West Country and north-east Hampshire.

He was educated at Helston Grammar School before studying at King's College London, and the University of Cambridge. Charles entered Magdalene College, Cambridge in 1838, and graduated in 1842. He chose to pursue a ministry in the church.

More about Charles Kingsley...
The Water Babies Westward Ho! or, the Voyages and Adventures of Sir Amyas Leigh, Knight, of Burrough Hypatia Alton Locke, Tailor and Poet: An Autobiography Hereward, the Last of the English