Start by marking “The Heroes” as Want to Read:
The Heroes

The Heroes

Stories of the heroes of ancient Greece, told in fine poetic prose. Includes accounts of Perseus who slew Medusa the Gorgon, Jason who sought the Golden Fleece, and Theseus who slew the Minotaur. By preserving the Greek spirit in the retelling of these myths, Kingsley gives us plain strength and seriousness, courage, steadfastness, and beauty. Dozens of attractive illustra ...more
Paperback, Illustrated Edition , 240 pages
Published January 23rd 2009 by Yesterday's Classics (first published December 1855)

To ask other readers questions about The Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heroes

Dec 12, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, mythology
I read this book when I was in the fourth grade , and fell in love with it . I read it over and over until I graduated high school . It's still one of my most prized possessions , even though the pages are falling out .
Jun 30, 2010 Rosina.almonte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed a lot that book because in each adventure that he participed he was the hero.He had to fight with many monsters however he always wan.
Jul 14, 2010 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
Loved this book as a kid. It was this book that actually got me reading so it will always hold a special place in my library. Mine is a semi-illustrated edition that has little explanatory illustrations down the side of the page.
Jul 29, 2011 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, sy11-12
This was a very detailed and in depth look at a trio of Greek Heroes. Occasionally Kingsley nicely ties in a Christian perspective although it is random and unexpected and therefore loses some of it's charm. Additionally, there he sometimes seems to go off on tangents, providing us with too much detail about a very minor character and possibly confusing the reader. By pointing out that this is so and so from the story so and so where such and such happens in the middle of his narrative about ano ...more
Aug 14, 2011 Lexi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this 4 stars, however I'm listening to it on my iPod. And the readers are pretty much terrible. One lady, speaking of the kings and hero's of Greek Mythology has a terrible, nasal, Southern accent. And instead of sounding impressive, her sections sound ridiculous. Another reader, sounds like cross between David Schwimmer (Ross from Friends) and Bullwinkle (yeah, the moose). Terrible.

But the stories themselves, wonderful.

I hate audio books.
Jan rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2012
My 9 year-old daughter has been tremendously enjoying these greek mythology stories and can't wait until we pick up the book to read the next chapter. I would agree with another reviewer that mentioned that there are times the author adds in too many details about a location or a minor character that really should have been more of an "in-passing' piece of trivia. It's almost as if he wanted to include more stories, but didn't want to flesh each one out completely, so just included it in the mid ...more
A.R. Jarvis
May 14, 2012 A.R. Jarvis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales
Dull. Without realizing it I tried twice to read this book, and both times I barely made it a third of the way through before giving up. It's just not worth the effort to read this tediously flowery version of the Greek myths.
Jul 18, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great book! I picked up a copy, illustrated by Sir W. Russell Flint, and (oh my god) the illustrations - watercolor over drawings, are just absolutely beautiful. Not only are the illustrations great, but Kingsley's renderings of the three stories from Greek mythology (Perseus, The Argonauts, and Theseus) are likewise flawless and beautiful.

The stories are abridged; a godsend compared to reading the (very long poem) 'Argonautica' of Apollonius Rhodius, which I did before reading K
This was an enjoyable book to read at a time when I didn't have time to indulge in a real page turner. Written in stories and segments that were easily taken on for a short sitting, the book is written in delightfully lyrical language with a certain simplicity and pace that takes one right through the old classics in a nice review of name dropping. Since the copy of the book I read is the 1895 first edition from my grandmother's library, I had not expected to find it still among modern reprintin ...more
Beverly J.
Dec 28, 2012 Beverly J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
A somewhat dry retelling of mythos. A veritable antique, I was intrigued by that alone. Would probably have read further than I did if I had had more time with it.
Dec 22, 2012 Miriam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Kingsley clearly has a good sense of mythology and the heroes, but the writing style is plodding and old fashioned, and his Christian religious spin on the myths is downright jarring.
i love greek mythology. so it pains me to say that despite knowing the stories of perseus, jason & the argonauts and theseus, i have never actually read their stories in their entirety. thanks again to the kindle app, i have filled a hole in my mythology knowledge.

what i found most interesting about these tales weren't the stories themselves, but the way the author writes them from a christian perspective. though part of the book title is 'for my children', i never considered that he would s
Mar 25, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the style in which Charles Kingsley organized this book. The way he really truly wrote it for his children and you could almost imagine him just speaking this story aloud to them. Of the three stories, Perseus and Theseus were my favourites. I found the Argonauts story rather long and confusing (mostly because of all the names - too many names). All in all it was nice though.
Sneh Pradhan
This is a pleasant book to read , and would have been delightful if I had found it in my childhood , as I was a big fan of Greek mythology . Nevertheless , this doesn't take away from the fact that the book fluidly expresses the wondrous imagination of the Greeks , their heroes , monsters , damsels in distress et al . It's a special treat as always to trace the origins of several commonplace terms of our English lexicon like Atlas , Icarian , Achilees heel ......just to name a few ...... The boo ...more
Laura of Lurking
Nov 07, 2013 Laura of Lurking rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up free on Amazon after having watched an Atlantis based series on TV and wanting to know more of what the myths looked like in the more traditional sense.

This more than covered my expectations. It was written in nice, simple language. Had I found this book as a kid I think it would have been one of my favourites, but even now it held a distinct charm, and I didn't want it to end.
Deb Allinson
Deb Allinson rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Kacie Drake
Mar 08, 2014 Kacie Drake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judged this book by its lovely antique, red, falling-apart Victorian looking cover. It was basically just going to be a home accent, and then I started reading the preface and it hooked me.

Taken with the grain of salt that anything can be better conveyed and all things will have holes in the narrative, Kinglsey did a magnificent job at speaking so plainly about his Christian perspective on the Greek heroes. It was absolutely delightful.

The read was smooth and easy. The characters were gripping
Leah Beecher
Once again as home schooling time is limited when it comes to the reading of whole books to accompany our unit study of Ancient Greece, we only read the introduction and the first "Hero" story. But both my daughters {5th and 6th} and myself enjoyed the stories. I think the drawback for reading these ancient tales, obviously adapted for children, is that they read a bit like those primary grade "easy reading" works of classics. Instead of getting drawn into an exciting story the tales are told si ...more
Jul 23, 2014 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have extensively studied Greek Mythology and this wasn't terrible. I'm not sure if is is suitable for children in modern times as sometimes the language is a bit dry.

May 12, 2015 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I understand the importance of a good foundation in Greek myth, it's never been a joy for me to read, hence the three stars. Kingsley does a good job of introducing kids to mythology. The stories are well written and held my eight year old's interest. My main criticism is that he sometimes gives too much information about the backstory of a minor character, and this can cause some confusion.
Carolyn B.
Sep 28, 2014 Carolyn B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I think it is a good book for kids who like to learn about mythology because it has the main stories in mythology.
Oct 06, 2016 Lekeshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
I read this aloud to my son as one of his lessons. He really enjoyed the story of Perseus. He was inspired to complete a written and drawn narration to show to Daddy, when he returned home for work. Often I will hear him today mention Perseus or recall bits of the story. Love it when children make connections to stories and tales on there own. It only took us a couple of episodes of reading to grow accustom to the language. I am not in the least bit surprised that my 8 year old son was able to e ...more
Cecille Hillman
Cecille Hillman rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Apr 18, 2015 Maya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice little book, which I read in a 1920's edition - I've always had a fondness for the Greek myths and this was such a sweet looking book. It's certainly packed full of information and contains the stories of Perseus, The Argonauts, and Theseus. However, being of such an age, I did find it very dry and the writing rather unexciting. I would recommend it to anyone looking to build their knowledge of the myths because it has plenty of helpful footnotes and is quite brief, but fir anyon ...more
Sep 21, 2015 Lara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, read-bookcase
Jan 29, 2016 Lekeshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Pretty good. Some stories hard to get onto because of all the Greek names. My son really loved Perseus. Great precursor to Mythology by Edith Hamilton.
Oct 17, 2016 Jana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost 4 stars, except that it is a bit confusing at times. I suppose that's just how mythology tends to be, but there are parts that just don't flow with the narrative & sometimes too many details or names just make it more confusing. However, the stories were, overall, told very well & were very interesting. I learned a lot right along with my son. He enjoyed it quite a bit, I think. I look forward to reading more mythology with him.
Jun 24, 2016 Erik rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I do have some interest in Greek mythology, and it's good to see the stories written down so people could read them! But I think the title is misleading, as myths are different from fairy tales, and Greek myths don't count as Greek fairy tales. (There are a number of books that have actual Greek fairy tales that come from post-classical Greece, such as some of Andrew Lang's Colored Fairy Books.)

Sorry if that's a little off-topic...
Sep 07, 2016 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found an ancient copy of this text in my mum's antique store.
Note: I am not an English major, nor mythology expert, but simply a reader. Personally, I think Kingsley does quite a good job making Greek mythology approachable and digestible for children. The stories are simplified, well-written, and retain their charm and appeal. The cherry on top of the book is the beautiful pictures. I cannot comment on any illustrations in newer editions, but those in my book are remarkable.
It's true as othe
  • Bard of Avon: The Story of William Shakespeare
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • Pagoo
  • The Story Of The Greeks (1896)
  • Dutch Fairy Tales for Young Folks
  • Folk-Lore and Legends Scotland
  • American Tall Tales
  • English Fairy Tales
  • Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare for Children
Charles Kingsley was an English clergyman, university professor, historian, and novelist, particularly associated with the West Country and north-east Hampshire.

He was educated at Helston Grammar School before studying at King's College London, and the University of Cambridge. Charles entered Magdalene College, Cambridge in 1838, and graduated in 1842. He chose to pursue a ministry in the church.
More about Charles Kingsley...