Winter of Secrets (Constable Molly Smith #3)

Winter of Secrets (Constable Molly Smith #3)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Siblings Wendy and Jason Wyatt-Yarmouth and their friends are in the peaceful mountain town of Trafalgar, B.C. enjoying a two-week vacation. Tragedy strikes the group of privileged students when two of them crash through the ice into the frozen river.
Paperback, Large Print, 400 pages
Published November 1st 2009 by Poisoned Pen Press

Tina Siegel
Passable mystery, loveable (or despicable) characters, sloppy writing. There are places where Delany's syntax is so poor you have to read a sentence twice, sometimes three times, to make sure you've understood her meaning. That's the mark of bad writing choices. And I enjoy her descriptions of the natural world - and of people - but she seems to fall back on lists. Just rhymes off everything she wants to tell you and moves on.

I'll probably stick with the series, because I'm quite charmed by the...more
Kathleen Hagen
Winter of Secrets, by Vicky Delany, b-plus, Narrated by Carrington MacDuffie, Produced by Blackstone Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

Sometimes the smallest towns have the darkest secrets.Siblings Wendy and Jason Wyatt-Yarmouth and their friends are in British Columbia, enjoying a two-week
vacation. Tragedy strikes the group of privileged students when two of them crash through the ice into the frozen river.It's Christmas Eve and the snowstorm
of the decade has settled over the peaceful Canadian...more
R.
I wish there had a been a character I could actually like, but for some reason, the author dwells on what is annoying, inconsiderate, or downright appalling about her characters. The friends of the two dead guys are all self-absorbed and gross, and there's no tension about who killed two sleazy dudes that we never have any reason to care about. The story is told from multiple perspectives, but the main character has such a bland personality that I think it would have been better to spend more ti...more
Donna
After the first three books, I am really and truly a fan of this series. The characters are so well developed that I feel as though they are friends/acquaintances and that Trafalgar is my second home. All the books, but this one especially, were so well paced and plotted that I lost myself in them for hours at a time. Plus, this series is so well written that I've read the first three books one-after-another, a very rare thing for me since I usually tire of an author's voice fairly quickly.

If yo...more
Nancy Omsamir
I listened to it as an audioBook. It was a very interesting book and very well written. This is about Constable Molly Smith and Book 3 of the series. She is a Canadian Policewoman, and has finally moved out of her parents home but she's not dating yet as it has been only a short time since her fiancee's murder and the assault she suffered a year later. It is now winter and all kinds of issues have arisen not least the death of 2 vacationers.

Amazon's Description.. Siblings Wendy and Jason Wyatt-Y...more
Aaron Lazar
I must have loaded this onto my Kindle a while ago - I happened upon it way down in the archives, and I don't remember, but I think I bumped into Vicki on Twitter, checked out the book, and bought it on the spot.

I"m so glad I did! I thoroughly enjoyed the story set in a mid-winter BC town, told primarily through the POVs of two local cops, Winter (male) and Smith (young newbie female cop). The characters were well-rounded and beautifully done. A GREAT winter mystery!

Top notch writing, solid sus...more
Stacy
I read the last 2 Smith mysteries out of order, because my husband buys them for me and couldn't find this one at Christmas in hardcover. When I started this, I thought it was a shame not to have had it at Christmas, since the story takes place then. After a while, I just thought it was a shame - a shame that Delany made a kind of nothing story drag out. I found the next one to be better and it's a good thing, or I might have stopped reading the series! There was just not enough plot and too muc...more
Peggy
This was my first Molly Smith mystery, although it is the third in the series. At first it was confusing to have so many characters (many, presumably, from the earlier books), but then everything sorted into place and I quite enjoyed it. The resort town setting is good (I think based on Nelson in southeast B.C.) Although Molly is the main character, the text shifts occasionally to other characters' points of view. Molly has just passed probabtion as a constable, but through circumstances, has be...more
Elaine
Nothing unusual about a vehicle plunging into the water on a very slippery snowy night; it happens. What is unusual however is that one of the victims, it is learned, was dead several hours before the vehicle made the plunge, killing the second. Questions arise as to the driver's involvement in the death of the other. Ya, what's up with that?

While the story held my interest and I hadn't guessed either the perp or the motive, I wasn't particularly fond of any of the characters. There also seemed...more
Susan
Jason Wyatt-Yarmouth drives his SUV, and his friend Ewan, into the river on Christmas Eve, leaving Trafalgar (BC) constable Molly Smith and her boss, Sergeant John Winters, a real holiday mess. Jason and his friends had rented a bed and breakfast for the holiday break, and set about skiing, seducing the local girls, and fighting with the local men. When the autopsy reveals something strange about the accident, Winters must deal with Jason's influential parents, as well as the mystery itself. A t...more
Melissa
Normally I never read books about winter in the winter...I have enough cold and snow in real life, so I thought about putting this away to read in the summer. Once I got started, I had a hard time putting it down. The characters are quirky and likable-and I can't wait to see what happens in the next book!

"Siblings Wendy and Jason Wyatt-Yarmouth and their friends are in the peaceful mountain town of Trafalgar, B.C. enjoying a two-week vacation. Tragedy strikes the group of privileged students whe...more
MJ
Well damn. Read this one out of order. I hate that. So I'll go back and catch up.

I like this series because Canadian constable Molly is a beginning police officer who wants to eventually become a detective. She makes mistakes and learns from them whenever she works with the irascible older John Winters.

This installment was particularly interesting because she spends time skiing black diamond slopes and questioning suspects in the ski lodge. As a former downhill skier I know the author caught t...more
Natacha
Carol
I like this series of books OK about young Constable Molly Smith. I'm getting to know the characters. I'm reading them more for the interaction between the characters than the mysteries themselves. The location of the books is set in British Columbia, so reading about the weather, the mountains, and RCMP seems exotic to me. The author does seem to toss in a lot of extra characters and sometimes it's hard to tell which ones you need to pay attention to.
Eva
Constable Molly Smith is called to the scene of an accident late one snowy night in the tiny town of Trafalgar, BC. Two tourists skidded off the road and landed in the river. Both are pronounced dead at the scene, however, further examination proves that one of the two was dead at least a day before the accident.

Vicki Delany provides an enticing mystery as each detail is revealed. This is a quick to read story with a satisfying ending.
Janet
I liked it......but more a 2-star than 3. Almost NONE of the characters are people that one would like. In fact, for a small town, Trafalgar has more dysfunctional, crabby, problem-children than the population in general. Even the visitors are dysfunctional. There may be no 'normal' citizens there, except the Mountie and his dog, and we don't know him (the Mountie) that much, yet.
Grey853
This one seemed a little more disjointed than IN THE SHADOW OF THE GLACIER by the same author. In that one the main character had a stronger connection to the storyline and it was more personal. In this one, the point of view shifts stay with other characters more than it stays with her. It's hard to be interested since I didn't like the other characters much.
Francine
Good and interesting story, Cst Molly Smith is thrown into another weird incident. Was it really just a crash through the ice into the frozen river ? A bunch of privileged group of skiers are not all they seemed to be. Another Trafalgar mystery.
Judith Martin
Small town Canadian Constable Molly Smith untangles the unexplained deaths of two of a group of spoiled rich kids, between runs on the ski slopes. Favorite quote, ''Someone might have stolen all the colors from God's crayon box...''
Lona Graybeal
Two rich kids are dead. Why? Molly and Winters are trying to figure out if it was murder or not. Molly is becoming involved with Mountie named Adam. It is a mystery but no clues-turns out to be an accident but covered up.
Ruth
2 tourists are dead in SUV in river, but one was dead 24 hours before plunge under freezing water. But det Winters and Molly aren't certain if crime or accident. Like characters, setting, sensible plot. Good read.
Kim Garza
I love this series and am so glad I finally read this one. The Canadian winter is a character in this book, and it actually takes place at Christmas so it is perfect to read during the holidays.
dollhousebunny
I was not crazy about this book. It was my first Constable Molly Smith book and probably my last. I thought the plot was very dull and the ending was ridiculously boring.
Shirley
Will probably stop reading this series for a bit. I just had been in the mood for a cozy, and this filled the bill. Best to read in order, I've learned, since I didn't.
Jan Nix
If you enjoy the Constable Molly Smith series, this one is well worth the time. It's well written, and almost painful in it's realistic portrayal of characters at times.
Lynn Stadel-Paterson
Aug 04, 2010 Lynn Stadel-Paterson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good murder mystery.
The book starts off with an accident that turns into a murder investigation. who killed them and why? You have to read to the end to find out the whole story.
Carol
Action takes place in British Columbia in local town and ski resort. Interesting main character - I would read another by this author.
Deena Scintilla
Really liked this book but need to go back to the beginning of the series. This book can stand alone, however.
Ruth
Takes place in small resort town near Vancouver. I like the setting and Molly, the constable.
Nancy Martin
how can you NOT like a novel with the main character named Constable Moonlight Legolas Smith?!!
  • A Famine of Horses (Sir Robert Carey, #1)
  • The Old Buzzard Had It Coming (Alafair Tucker, #1)
  • Effigies (Faye Longchamp, #3)
  • Red, Green, or Murder
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
  • Drop Dead Divas
  • Forbidden Fruit (Corinna Chapman, #5)
  • Too Many Cooks (Angie Amalfi, #2)
  • Murder in the Palais Royal (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #10)
  • Blackman's Coffin (Sam Blackman, #1)
  • Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1)
  • Sticky Fingers (A Roxy Abruzzo Mystery #2)
  • Strong Spirits (Daisy Gumm Majesty, #1)
  • The Coffin Trail (Lake District Mystery #1)
  • Another Man's Treasure
  • Death at Rottingdean (Kathryn Ardleigh, #5)
“It’s a crime not to read Delany,” so says the London Free Press.

Vicki Delany is one of Canada’s most varied and prolific crime writers. Her popular Constable Molly Smith series (including In the Shadow of the Glacier and Among the Departed) have been optioned for TV by Brightlight Pictures.

She writes standalone novels of modern gothic suspense such as Burden of Memory and More than Sorrow, as w...more
More about Vicki Delany...
In the Shadow of the Glacier (Constable Molly Smith #1) Valley of the Lost (Constable Molly Smith #2) Among the Departed (Constable Molly Smith #5) Negative Image (Constable Molly Smith #4) A Cold White Sun (Constable Molly Smith #6)