Start by marking “Winter of Secrets (Constable Molly Smith #3)” as Want to Read:
Winter of Secrets (Constable Molly Smith #3)

Winter of Secrets (Constable Molly Smith #3)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  304 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Siblings Wendy and Jason Wyatt-Yarmouth and their friends are in the peaceful mountain town of Trafalgar, B.C. enjoying a two-week vacation. Tragedy strikes the group of privileged students when two of them crash through the ice into the frozen river.
Paperback, Large Print, 400 pages
Published November 1st 2009 by Poisoned Pen Press

To ask other readers questions about Winter of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter of Secrets

Donna
Dec 09, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, canadian, 2013, pulse
After the first three books, I am really and truly a fan of this series. The characters are so well developed that I feel as though they are friends/acquaintances and that Trafalgar is my second home. All the books, but this one especially, were so well paced and plotted that I lost myself in them for hours at a time. Plus, this series is so well written that I've read the first three books one-after-another, a very rare thing for me since I usually tire of an author's voice fairly quickly.

If yo
Aaron Lazar
Jun 20, 2012 Aaron Lazar rated it it was amazing
I must have loaded this onto my Kindle a while ago - I happened upon it way down in the archives, and I don't remember, but I think I bumped into Vicki on Twitter, checked out the book, and bought it on the spot.

I"m so glad I did! I thoroughly enjoyed the story set in a mid-winter BC town, told primarily through the POVs of two local cops, Winter (male) and Smith (young newbie female cop). The characters were well-rounded and beautifully done. A GREAT winter mystery!

Top notch writing, solid sus
Jun 15, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
A car flies into the river in the middle of winter in the peaceful mountain town of Trafalgar, B.C. However, one of the bodies recovered turns out to have been dead before the crash. Detective John Winters is called in to investigate and, as usual, calls on Constable Molly Smith because of her familiarity with the local scene. The plots in this series have become a bit formulaic and rely on Molly making mistakes due to her youth and inexperience. However, the mistake in this story is so overblow ...more
 Olivermagnus
Apr 25, 2016 Olivermagnus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2016, canada
While working the Christmas Eve shift in the small town of Trafalgar, British Columbia, Constables Molly Smith and Dave Evans are summoned to the scene of a car accident. Two young men are dead after crashing their car into the river. At first, it appears to be an accident, but the autopsy reveals evidence that turns this into a possible murder investigation. Sergeant John Winters and new constable, Molly, start to interview the victims' family and friends and those townsfolk who interacted with ...more
Kim
Mar 05, 2016 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 3rd book in the Molly Smith series and it's a series I really enjoy. One of those series where you not only get to meet your main characters, Sgt. John Winters and experienced detective and young Constable Molly Smith, you get to meet the people in the community they live in and that is what makes this book a lot of fun. Love them or hate them and you'll have the chance to do both the people make this book. Give it a try if you have a chance but as always I recommendreading this seri ...more
Tina Siegel
Passable mystery, loveable (or despicable) characters, sloppy writing. There are places where Delany's syntax is so poor you have to read a sentence twice, sometimes three times, to make sure you've understood her meaning. That's the mark of bad writing choices. And I enjoy her descriptions of the natural world - and of people - but she seems to fall back on lists. Just rhymes off everything she wants to tell you and moves on.

I'll probably stick with the series, because I'm quite charmed by the
Cathy Cole
Jun 18, 2015 Cathy Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Readers are faced with a story of wealthy, entitled people and how they can so easily and carelessly destroy lives. It didn't take long for me to see that Winter of Secrets isn't really a case of whodunit, but of why and how.

As usual, Delany's excellent cast made me forget that I don't particularly care for books that prominently feature the rich and shameless. Constable Molly Smith has good instincts, but she's still learning and still making mistakes. These blunders can infuriate her mentor,
Kathleen Hagen
Winter of Secrets, by Vicky Delany, b-plus, Narrated by Carrington MacDuffie, Produced by Blackstone Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

Sometimes the smallest towns have the darkest secrets.Siblings Wendy and Jason Wyatt-Yarmouth and their friends are in British Columbia, enjoying a two-week
vacation. Tragedy strikes the group of privileged students when two of them crash through the ice into the frozen river.It's Christmas Eve and the snowstorm
of the decade has settled over the peaceful Canadian
Reba
Jan 03, 2015 Reba rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reba-raves, canadian
I'm really enjoying this series. I love Molly Smith, and Detective Winters, not to mention Molly's Mom Lucky (well kind of a love-hate thing going on with her). Having just been on a project at work for 16 months where I dealt with folks from British Columbia almost daily, I'd say Vicki has captured their unique, paradoxical culture beautifully. The relationships between her characters are so real and natural as well; that brings a whole extra level of depth that I love.
Val
Nov 10, 2015 Val rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Constable Molly Smith and Sergeant John Winters return to solve another murder in quiet Trafalgar, BC. It's the Christmas season and the snow has arrived with a vengeance, causing accidents and even death. But were all the deaths accidental? Molly has finally moved out of her parents home and into her own apartment. I'm enjoying the development of the characters and of the town.
Rage
Feb 08, 2015 Rage rated it it was ok
I wish there had a been a character I could actually like, but for some reason, the author dwells on what is annoying, inconsiderate, or downright appalling about her characters. The friends of the two dead guys are all self-absorbed and gross, and there's no tension about who killed two sleazy dudes that we never have any reason to care about. The story is told from multiple perspectives, but the main character has such a bland personality that I think it would have been better to spend more ti ...more
Joshua
Mar 16, 2015 Joshua rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Constable Molly Smith has finally finished her probationary period and is a full constable. Now she's looking into the death of two tourists during the winter holidays. Molly and John find that they must first determine what happened and then try to catch the killer before it's too late. The minor twist at the end may leave the reader feeling somewhat unsatisfied.
Kyla Squires
This was a pretty satisfying story. There are some over the top characters but worth the read over all.
I listened to the audio version though and the reader clearly wasn't Canadian. She gave the Québécoise character a France French accent which I found really off putting as that's not at all how French Canadians speak, and then she mispronounced toque! Didn't they have someone checking on these things?
Nancy Omsamir
I listened to it as an audioBook. It was a very interesting book and very well written. This is about Constable Molly Smith and Book 3 of the series. She is a Canadian Policewoman, and has finally moved out of her parents home but she's not dating yet as it has been only a short time since her fiancee's murder and the assault she suffered a year later. It is now winter and all kinds of issues have arisen not least the death of 2 vacationers.

Amazon's Description.. Siblings Wendy and Jason Wyatt-Y
Mantelli
Jan 06, 2016 Mantelli rated it it was amazing
This is a well-written series, with good recurring characters and gripping situations. The author even managed to keep my attention through a book filled with winter sports. I want more!
Stacy
Mar 17, 2011 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the last 2 Smith mysteries out of order, because my husband buys them for me and couldn't find this one at Christmas in hardcover. When I started this, I thought it was a shame not to have had it at Christmas, since the story takes place then. After a while, I just thought it was a shame - a shame that Delany made a kind of nothing story drag out. I found the next one to be better and it's a good thing, or I might have stopped reading the series! There was just not enough plot and too muc ...more
Peggy
Mar 28, 2010 Peggy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, canadian
This was my first Molly Smith mystery, although it is the third in the series. At first it was confusing to have so many characters (many, presumably, from the earlier books), but then everything sorted into place and I quite enjoyed it. The resort town setting is good (I think based on Nelson in southeast B.C.) Although Molly is the main character, the text shifts occasionally to other characters' points of view. Molly has just passed probabtion as a constable, but through circumstances, has be ...more
Kim
Dec 16, 2014 Kim rated it liked it
Good plot. I will keep reading the series because it is light and entertaining. And there is just enough going on in the lives of the characters to make me want to see how that all pans out.
Elaine
Nothing unusual about a vehicle plunging into the water on a very slippery snowy night; it happens. What is unusual however is that one of the victims, it is learned, was dead several hours before the vehicle made the plunge, killing the second. Questions arise as to the driver's involvement in the death of the other. Ya, what's up with that?

While the story held my interest and I hadn't guessed either the perp or the motive, I wasn't particularly fond of any of the characters. There also seemed
Nov 25, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-canada
Jason Wyatt-Yarmouth drives his SUV, and his friend Ewan, into the river on Christmas Eve, leaving Trafalgar (BC) constable Molly Smith and her boss, Sergeant John Winters, a real holiday mess. Jason and his friends had rented a bed and breakfast for the holiday break, and set about skiing, seducing the local girls, and fighting with the local men. When the autopsy reveals something strange about the accident, Winters must deal with Jason's influential parents, as well as the mystery itself. A t ...more
Melissa
Mar 21, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
Normally I never read books about winter in the winter...I have enough cold and snow in real life, so I thought about putting this away to read in the summer. Once I got started, I had a hard time putting it down. The characters are quirky and likable-and I can't wait to see what happens in the next book!

"Siblings Wendy and Jason Wyatt-Yarmouth and their friends are in the peaceful mountain town of Trafalgar, B.C. enjoying a two-week vacation. Tragedy strikes the group of privileged students whe
MJ
Jul 13, 2011 MJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-canadian
Well damn. Read this one out of order. I hate that. So I'll go back and catch up.

I like this series because Canadian constable Molly is a beginning police officer who wants to eventually become a detective. She makes mistakes and learns from them whenever she works with the irascible older John Winters.

This installment was particularly interesting because she spends time skiing black diamond slopes and questioning suspects in the ski lodge. As a former downhill skier I know the author caught t
Natacha
Jun 07, 2013 Natacha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, crime
Carol
Aug 08, 2011 Carol rated it liked it
I like this series of books OK about young Constable Molly Smith. I'm getting to know the characters. I'm reading them more for the interaction between the characters than the mysteries themselves. The location of the books is set in British Columbia, so reading about the weather, the mountains, and RCMP seems exotic to me. The author does seem to toss in a lot of extra characters and sometimes it's hard to tell which ones you need to pay attention to.
Mar 26, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading this author's books. I never quite figure out who the villain is till she tells us. Her characters are very interesting. Some are even quirky.
Eva
Dec 17, 2010 Eva rated it liked it
Constable Molly Smith is called to the scene of an accident late one snowy night in the tiny town of Trafalgar, BC. Two tourists skidded off the road and landed in the river. Both are pronounced dead at the scene, however, further examination proves that one of the two was dead at least a day before the accident.

Vicki Delany provides an enticing mystery as each detail is revealed. This is a quick to read story with a satisfying ending.
Janet
Oct 21, 2012 Janet rated it liked it
I liked it......but more a 2-star than 3. Almost NONE of the characters are people that one would like. In fact, for a small town, Trafalgar has more dysfunctional, crabby, problem-children than the population in general. Even the visitors are dysfunctional. There may be no 'normal' citizens there, except the Mountie and his dog, and we don't know him (the Mountie) that much, yet.
Grey853
Dec 15, 2009 Grey853 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
This one seemed a little more disjointed than IN THE SHADOW OF THE GLACIER by the same author. In that one the main character had a stronger connection to the storyline and it was more personal. In this one, the point of view shifts stay with other characters more than it stays with her. It's hard to be interested since I didn't like the other characters much.
Booklover
Feb 13, 2016 Booklover marked it as to-read-owned
Shelves: ebook
tbr
Francine
Oct 08, 2013 Francine rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Good and interesting story, Cst Molly Smith is thrown into another weird incident. Was it really just a crash through the ice into the frozen river ? A bunch of privileged group of skiers are not all they seemed to be. Another Trafalgar mystery.
  • Statute Of Limitations (Posadas County Mystery, #4)
  • The Old Buzzard Had It Coming (Alafair Tucker, #1)
  • Forbidden Fruit (Corinna Chapman, #5)
  • Camp Follower (A Mystery of the American Revolution, # 3)
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
  • Desert Wives (A Lena Jones Mystery #2)
  • Murder in the Air: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #17)
  • Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)
  • All My Enemies (Brock & Kolla, #3)
  • Corridors of Death (Robert Amiss, #1)
  • A Famine of Horses (Sir Robert Carey, #1)
  • The Missings
  • Echoes of Pemberley
  • Christmas at High Rising
  • Bones of Contention (A Dinah Pelerin Mystery, #1)
  • Mad Dog & Englishman (Mad Dog & Englishman, #1)
  • Past Imperfect: A John McIntire Mystery
  • Dial Emmy for Murder (Soap Opera Mystery, #2)
“It’s a crime not to read Delany,” so says the London Free Press.

Vicki Delany is one of Canada’s most varied and prolific crime writers. Her popular Constable Molly Smith series (including In the Shadow of the Glacier and Among the Departed) have been optioned for TV by Brightlight Pictures.

She writes standalone novels of modern gothic suspense such as Burden of Memory and More than Sorrow, as w
More about Vicki Delany...

Constable Molly Smith (8 books)
  • In the Shadow of the Glacier (Constable Molly Smith #1)
  • Valley of the Lost (Constable Molly Smith #2)
  • Negative Image (Constable Molly Smith #4)
  • Among the Departed (Constable Molly Smith #5)
  • A Cold White Sun (Constable Molly Smith #6)
  • Under Cold Stone (Constable Molly Smith #7)
  • Unreasonable Doubt (Constable Molly Smith #8)