Start by marking “Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion” as Want to Read:
Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion

Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  16,048 Ratings  ·  769 Reviews
Do you have a hobby you wish you could indulge in all day? An obsession that keeps you up at night? Now is the perfect time to take that passion and make a living doing what you love. In Crush It! Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion, Gary Vaynerchuk shows you how to use the power of the Internet to turn your real interests into real businesses. Gary spent years ...more
Published October 14th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published 2009)

Alice
May 12, 2010 Alice rated it did not like it
I will now save you $10.99:

1) Figure out what your passion is. Examples from the book: wine, baseball cards, worms, gardening, accounting, candy, soccer, marketing, business development, tech. (My current passions are Diet Coke, Fringe, and napping, none of which I think I can monetize.)

2) Come up with a catchy name and register it on every social media site.

3) Write a bunch of tweets/blog posts or make video blogs. Work your ass off (he suggests not spending any time with your family-- although
Jeff
Sep 14, 2012 Jeff rated it it was ok
I heard many good things about Gary Vaynerchuk and when I did finally get my hands on Crush It I was looking forward to learning more about how Gary built his empire.

Gary has put together a book with advice that sounds great from a stage but is hardly something you would want to put into action.

Including, “What kind of business did you plan on starting, a mediocre one or one that’s kick-ass? You know the answer.”

Or, “It’s never a bad time to start a business unless you are starting a mediocre
Kelly Newton
Nov 20, 2012 Kelly Newton rated it really liked it
I avoided this book for a long time because I expected it to be about money money money. To my surprise though, it wasn't about that as much as I expected.
I'm working toward making a brand for myself, but my motivation is not money. And, Gary makes a HUGE deal on following your passion and living your passion and sharing your passion (and of course, cashing in on your passion) but never wasting your life on something that isn't your passion in order to make money.
This book gave clear and pract
Chad Warner
Jun 26, 2010 Chad Warner rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs, business owners
Recommended to Chad by: Leo Laporte
Gary Vaynerchuck is widely considered a web celebrity and social media expert. He used social media and online video (WineLibrary TV) to gain incredible exposure and propel his wine business to unprecedented success. Gary's secret isn't social media, however; it's his passion. Social media is just the tool he uses to share his passion and connect with others. As he states in chapter 9, the best marketing strategy ever is simple: care.

The main premise is that life is too short to do work that you
Natalia
Jan 03, 2010 Natalia rated it did not like it
Recommended to Natalia by: I'm planning to read a couple of career-motivation books this ye
Shelves: ebook, 2010, library
I was on page 26 of 100 non-appendix before the author started actually started giving the advice the book was about. The prior 25 pages (a full quarter of the book!) was a sales pitch for how the book would change your life. What the heck do I need a sales pitch for when I am already holding the book in my hands?

Vaynerchuck is going for some weird work-as-leisure premise, where if you are "living your passion" you don't need to look forward to vacations, or hobbies or anything, because you will
Anita Campbell
Aug 20, 2011 Anita Campbell rated it liked it
I know this book has been wildly popular, and Gary V has many fans. I happen not to be a huge fan of his style, either in his videos or this book. I think his excited, sometimes over-the-top style that focuses on HIM, has to appeal to you. It's not my style.

This book is very much about Gary and HIS successes -- not necessarily the kind of information that others can easily apply to their situations. The reality is, most of Gary's successes won't be replicable by the typical entrepreneur or small
Carrie
Jul 30, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
I'm generally not interested in the slightest in the business, make money now! genre of books. But my love for journalism, news, and information has definitely generated a strong interest in entrepreneurship. Given that this little book will only take you about an hour to read, I found it pretty worthwhile as a very simple, straightforward guide on how to leverage the Web and social media to build a sustainable business that allows you to do what you love. There's nothing "new" here, but yet it' ...more
Dvir Oren
Dec 21, 2014 Dvir Oren rated it really liked it
Good stuff, lots of practical advice.

I specifically liked being authentic, and mingling with your community online answering questions and building a reputation. And not neglecting social media of course!
Melissa Jill
Jun 25, 2010 Melissa Jill rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Occasionally I talk to photographers who have been in business since before the digital revolution and the growth of the internet. They all sound the same. They grieve the changes that have caused business to slow - or in some cases - come to a grinding halt. They grieve the fact that clients are hiring newer, less-experienced photographers than them. And they're largely oblivious to how powerful the internet is and how drastically it has changed the game. They want to keep doing the same things ...more
Andy Whyte
Dec 27, 2010 Andy Whyte rated it it was amazing
Review taken from my blog @ AndyWhyte.com

Crush it! By Gary Vay-Ner-Chuk is an informative book about how to use modern technology primarily the internet to exploit a passion you may have for anything and turn it into a credible perhaps hugely successful future career for yourself.

This review is going to be as much about how the book proved its worth prior to me even buying it as it will be about the book itself.

The book is a victim of it’s own preaching as there is absolutely no reason why I sho
Alex
Jun 01, 2013 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: business
This 3 stars are for the audiobook. If you are going to get this, get the audio book. It has updated info (even though now some of it is again outdated) and he often goes off-script, which I wish more audio books would do. It is read by the author. Some may not like his hyper-ness, but I think it helps convey his enthusiasm.

So the idea of the book is to show how the use of social marketing can greatly benefit your business, and how it and the Internet can act as "great equalizers" of sorts. It k
Toni Conn
Sep 17, 2016 Toni Conn rated it really liked it
Gary's no-nonsense approach about how to use your passion to start your own business is gold! Although it's from 2009, he says in the last chapter to go with your gut and not take him word for word. I appreciate that. I highly recommend it if you're looking for tools on how to hustle with your passion or your business!
Marian
Dec 11, 2009 Marian rated it it was amazing
This book made me VERY happy. Gary has a no-nonsense attitude that I love. His "stop whining and just do it" approach is a breath of fresh air. That attitudes is not for everyone though. However, he gives some great tips regarding social media and personal branding. I consider myself pretty well informed, but he gave suggestions I'd never thought of and some excellent short cuts.

This is not a "do what you love and everything will fall into place" kind of book. He doesn't b.s. and doesn't hide th
Abbe
Sep 20, 2012 Abbe added it
Shelves: in-library
SUMMARY: Do you have a hobby you wish you could do all day? An obsession that keeps you up at night? Now is the perfect time to take those passions and make a living doing what you love. In CRUSH IT! Why NOW Is The Time To Cash In On Your Passion, Gary Vaynerchuk shows you how to use the power of the Internet to turn your real interests into real businesses. Gary spent years building his family business from a local wine shop into a national industry leader. Then one day he turned on a video cam ...more
Jed Langdon
Aug 24, 2011 Jed Langdon rated it it was amazing
Passion, hard work and hustle

These are some of the lessons that are packed into this book.

In “Crush It!” Gary Vaynerchuk reveals that we can all cash in and make a living by building a business around our greatest passion or hobby. He enthusiastically explains that the rising power of the Internet has enabled anyone to build a highly profitable business if they are truly passionate about it. For those with enough hustle and determination, there is also the opportunity to go beyond making a livi
Lee G
Jun 07, 2016 Lee G rated it it was amazing
Seems like this was the perfect book to read right now. I'm a late bloomer in learning about internet promotion and branding and this book was a GREAT start. Short, to the point, giving you a step by step plan to build a social media presence. Planning to read more of his stuff and putting it into action. It's a long haul kind of hustle that this book prescribes. One of the things Gary said that makes a lot of sense is that posting content is just the beginning-the majority of time should be spe ...more
Leora Wenger
Nov 05, 2010 Leora Wenger added it
Shelves: business
When you are working on/in/at a small business, there are no shortcuts. You can take some of Gary's ideas and apply them to your business, but to succeed, you have to do it your way, because we are all unique. Network, blog(use social media), have a good business idea, listen to others and refine your skills are all important to small business success.
Devin Ambron
Feb 13, 2017 Devin Ambron rated it liked it
Gary's entrepreneurial story is an interesting one that I imagine few people directly empathize with. A few great takeaways from this book were his emphasis on personal branding. If you're in a career or situation that prevents you from marketing yourself then it's wise to get out as soon as possible. Since this book was written there have been changes to the workplace and "death to the salaried employee" which seems to become ever present in blogs of the 2017's. Selecting a medium that works fo ...more
GateGypsy
Definitely enthusiastic. Gives some generalized but clear advice that I think is totally worth following up. I guess we'll see how it works for me :-)
John
Oct 23, 2009 John rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wanted to start their own business, follow their passion
Recommended to John by: Tom Ortega
I'm about 70% thru as I write this and am really impressed. I'm always kinda torn when it comes to Gary V. Sometimes he's really inspirational as an entrepreneur, and sometimes I just wanna sock him, and most of the time I don't pay attention to him. BUT this book is pretty remarkable.

There's some internet 101, which I could do with out, but I suspect that part of the book isn't meant for me. The rest is quite interesting and really helps get the entrepreneurial juices flowing. I suspect anyone
Brian
Jan 04, 2010 Brian rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, business
At best, this book serves as a good resource for social media and web tool sites. At worst, it is a braggadocios, poorly conceived sales pitch attempting to inspire its readers to just Crush It (yeah baby!). I usually research books prior to reading them. If you read at the same rate as a 5th grader, you have to choose your reading material wisely. This book was more of an impulse buy spurred by a somewhat interesting description of the book. Deviation from a solid game plan is a mistake.

In retr
Leah Petersen
Apr 05, 2010 Leah Petersen rated it it was amazing
In short, precise sentences, Vaynerchuk illustrates the digital age as the entrepreneurs wild, wild west. He made me a believer that with my mouse as my pan, the river that is the internet can bring gold. Beyond gold, the communication powers of the internet have always interested me due to it's enlightening and empowering powers. I think often of Martin Luther offering a mind-blowingly powerful method of transferring knowledge and know that we live in a special time.

As I myself am taking a pro
CV Rick
Aug 23, 2014 CV Rick rated it liked it
This book felt like a business book.

It also kind of felt like shoving a square peg into a round hole.

The homilies about working hard, learning to become the expert, developing passion - those things are common sense and can be learned anywhere.

The parts about his own story: learning about wine, getting good at expressing preferences, starting a vlog, gaining viewers, followers, and fans, and moving from there to monetizing his dream - that was fascinating, but his approach wasn't portable, and
TarasProkopyuk
Feb 06, 2012 TarasProkopyuk rated it really liked it
Shelves: startup, business
Увлечение — это бизнес, во-первых, очень увлекательная книга.

Автор делится с читателями своим опытом, как из практически любого увлечения можно создать очень успешные бизнес проекты. Он раскрывает много основополагающих принципов, указывает посредством каких инструментов можно этого достичь, дает общие инструкции к действии, и ещё в книге есть много хороших советов.

Ну а, во-вторых, энергетика автора настолько заразительна, что просто невозможно устоять перед искушением и попробовать реализовать
Joana Botelho
Mar 20, 2014 Joana Botelho rated it really liked it
Gary Vaynerchuk, na obra Vencer na vida fazendo o que mais gosta, identifica três regras para atingir o sucesso pessoal e profissional: “Ama a tua família. Trabalha arduamente. Vive com paixão.”
Estamos numa época de oportunidades ímpar, com paixão e trabalho árduo e usufruindo de todas as oportunidades que o mundo online nos trouxe, podemos fazer o caminho da criação de uma Marca Pessoal de sucesso.
Leia tudo em: http://blogbuythebook.wordpress.com/2...
Douglas Wilson
Mar 16, 2010 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it
I bought this because a friend (Steve Hayhow) reviewed it, and it looked interesting. And it really was. You have to discount and overlook the motivational-speaker, business-guru, rah-rah stuff, but if you do, there is a wealth of information here. Everybody knows we are in a new world, which will only be getting newer (he wrote on his Goodreads site), and a lot of people are working hard at getting left behind.
Mihai Alexandru
Aug 18, 2016 Mihai Alexandru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how this books pumps up the entrepreneur in me. I disagree with some of the work/life balance disruptions that he is proposing, and I do believe that hustlers alone would have a difficult time building great things—it's a model we'd need to put to the test—, but at the same time I have to agree it's a good model.
Dave
Oct 31, 2009 Dave rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT! I follow Gary very closely so I have already heard him say many of the things in this book, but there was even a ton of stuff new to me. If you want to build a business around your passion, and want to use the web to build it, read this book. Gary lays out the perfect plan. Quick easy powerful read!
Avdi
Aug 14, 2010 Avdi rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
A little light on concrete steps. Not that it doesn't have them, but they are really just enough to get you started. But apart form that, this is a great call to action for building your personal brand. Not a get-rich-quick book at all. More a make-a-living-doing-something-you-love book. Recommended.
Mike Vardy
Nov 28, 2013 Mike Vardy rated it liked it
Shelves: paper-library
I wish I'd read this eons ago, but took the time to pour over it in one sitting. I'm doing a lot of what Gary mentions in the book already, but was also able to grab some other gold throughout. If you're looking to take your passion to heights that will allow you to make a living pursuing it (and perhaps even go further than that), then this book is definitely a worthwhile read.
Does it hold up? 2 12 Nov 18, 2014 08:52PM
  • Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust
  • Six Pixels of Separation: Everyone Is Connected. Connect Your Business to Everyone.
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • Engage: The Complete Guide for Brands and Businesses to Build, Cultivate, and Measure Success in the New Web
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
  • The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
  • Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself
  • Unleashing the Ideavirus: Stop Marketing AT People! Turn Your Ideas into Epidemics by Helping Your Customers Do the Marketing thing for You.
  • Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and Actions
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
  • Anything You Want
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • The Intelligent Entrepreneur: How Three Harvard Business School Graduates Learned the 10 Rules of Successful Entrepreneurship
Gary Vaynerchuk is the ultimate businessman. Born with an entrepreneurial spirit, Gary is a proven investor and advisor in the world of startups, and now an expert on the Fortune 500 world, through is work as CEO of Vaynermedia, a social media marketing agency. Having two bestsellers under his belt doesn't hurt either.

Thirty-three years ago, Gary got his start in business by ripping flowers out of
More about Gary Vaynerchuk...

“Love your family, work super hard, live your passion.” 19 likes
“It (Twitter) closes the six degrees of separation to one degree of separation” 8 likes