Start by marking “A Pussycat's Christmas” as Want to Read:

A Pussycat's Christmas

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  278 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Christmas Is in the Air

But how can you tell?
Does the air smell of tangerines?
And Christmas greens?
Can you feel it in the wind? Or hear it in the sound of a song?

Experience the beauty and mystery of Christmas in this classic story told by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated with charming paintings by Anne Mortimer.
Published September 22nd 2009 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about A Pussycat's Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pussycat's Christmas

Ann
Jan 02, 2010 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ann by: Katie, since it was a Christmas gift last year - thanks!
A cute story about preparations for Christmas from the eyes of the cat!

What really won me over here were the adorable illustrations! The beautiful colors and the wonderful expressions!

The text was, for me, just okay. I wasn't always captivated by the word choices, and more so the flow seemed wrong (wasn't the cat just taken OUT of the room with the Christmas tree and now it's back there?)

So, three stars for the story, but five for the illustrations. If you happen across this title, I'd suggest p
Miriam
Jan 05, 2012 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, holidays
Aside from a couple nice lines the prose was not too striking, but the illustrations were lovely and tender. Also, it was nice to see a story with a cat actually enjoying the Christmas preparations rather than being frightened or disturbed (although I did love Mog's Christmas anyway).
Mallory (toweroftomes)
Oct 25, 2015 Mallory (toweroftomes) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1c-2014-log
Originally published on my blog The Leaning Tower of Tomes: http://leaningtoweroftomes.wordpress....

A Pussycat's Christmas a beautiful, heartwarming children's classic (in my opinion). Margaret Wise Brown wrote the classics Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny, too; her poetic-like writing enchants you and lulls you. My mother would read A Pussycat's Christmas to me every night on Christmas Eve. Even now I still like to read it on my own around the holidays. It's just such a magical, enchanting
Jane
In A Pussycat's Christmas the author presents the sights and sounds of Christmas through the eyes of a cat. The sound of being outside in the snow, the sound of wrapping packages and the smells of the treats for Christmas give a picture of Christmas that is often forgotten in appreciating the simple side of the holiday. The illustrations are beautiful to match the beautiful story.
Rosa Cline
This is a children's book but it's more for an older one than the younger one. It is a cute story written from a cat's point of view for Christmas. It is full of descriptions which at times was a bit much. I feel if it hadn't had all the descriptions it did then it would have flowed better. But over all was an okay book, nice idea.
Dolly
Dec 28, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've loved Margaret Wise Brown's books for young children and have read Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny over and over until the board book bindings fell apart. So when we saw this book at our local library, we just had to check it out. It's a sweet look at Christmas from a cat's perspective and alhtough I think the narrative is a bit rambling, the illustrations more than make up for it. We enjoyed reading this book aloud together.
Olivia
Nov 21, 2015 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story written for cat people by cat people. The story itself is cute, but nothing special. What wins me over is the illustrations. Every face that cat makes is dead-on for the expression a cat would make in such a situation. Too cute.
Gretchen
Nov 12, 2014 Gretchen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, christmas, cats
This is a beautifully illustrated story that explores the sights, sounds, and smells of Christmas as seen through the eyes of a cat. I loved the pictures. It helps that the cat looks a lot like my two kitties!
Amy
Dec 09, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-pictures
Multi-sense description of a cat's Christmas experience with short sentences. Not my favorite Margaret Wise Brown story. But the cat drawings are magnificent. I love the pictures of the fluffy black and white cat.
SouthWestZippy
Very cute book about what a cat must be thinking around Winter and Christmas time. I love the illustrations. One to read year after year.
Marg Corjay
Nov 26, 2015 Marg Corjay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Christmas classic from a loved children's author. The illustrations are so lifelike you can actually feel the cat purring next to you.
Marita
Dec 29, 2015 Marita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-c, christmas
Read this book in Finnish. Great pictures, story so and so. MariAnna's pick to learn some Finnish vocabulary.
Julia Brumfield
Aug 27, 2015 Julia Brumfield rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, book
A beautiful intake on the Christmas season with the senses of hearing and smelling being emphasized more than some of the other senses within the book. Along with the beautiful illustrations you will be transported back to some of your own Christmases to think in what senses you actually celebrate the holiday.

The pictures are beautifully done with Anne Mortimer doing a wonderful job in both catching the colors of the season as well as the curious cuteness of Pussycat. And so for the person who
Margaret
Dec 16, 2014 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely cute Christmas picture book! I loved the illustrations!
Lori
Dec 30, 2010 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday
What a captivating little Christmas book. The illustrations are marvelous & colorful. Illustartor Anne Moritmer really captures the nature of Pussycat & cats in general. I also love the smaller touches of showing the same scene from different perspectives and having a snowman pop up in different scenes throughout to book. I even read it to my dog with this morning's coffee beside our tree & he seemed to enjoy it's sweet story. It transports you to the excitement and also the calm of ...more
Diana
Such a cute story and gorgeous illustrations.
Meg McGregor
Pussycat associates certain sounds with Christmas...

the rustle of tissue paper,
the smell of the Christmas tree,
the falling of the snow.

What is the one thing that tells Pussycat it is Christmas Eve?

Your little ones will love the sweet sentimentality of this story.
Kelsey
A beautifully written book that is clearly creatively thought out and will draw the attention of children. This is a book I think children can definitely relate to, while also being enchanted by the beautiful illustrations.
Alamoliz
Jun 18, 2008 Alamoliz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Another beautiful kitty book by Anne Mortimer, with Margaret Wise Brown's innocent feline enjoying the sights, sounds, and weather of the winter holiday. Spotting Santa's sleigh in the sky is only a part of the kitty's joy.
Jobiska (Cindy)
To me there is osmething of a disconnect between Margaret Wise Brown's text (and usual style) and Anne Mortimer's sweeter-than-sweet illustrations, but since I am fond of both, I can overlook it.
Kayla
Dec 19, 2012 Kayla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful illustrations, but the writing is clunky and disjointed. The story seems to go on and on without actually telling a story. Not super entertaining for my kiddos.
Michelle
Oct 22, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
The cat is drawn so realistically! The only thing I didnt like was how the author said the cat "wanted" to break Christmas ornaments, when al cats want is to play
Skylar Burris
Dec 16, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The poetry of the narration was decent, but there wasn't enough "story" to hold my daughter's interest, and I don't think it would hold up well to repeat readings.
Kathryn
Dec 12, 2011 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite part was when Pussycat rolled in the snow. The illustrations wer wonderful. Pussycat resembles our kitty. I would buy this book.
Lea
Dec 29, 2011 Lea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has really marvelous illustrations that are remarkably accurate at capturing the posture and facial expressions of cats.
Anna
Beautiful pictures. C enjoys looking at the cat. Sweet story, but the writing doesn't hold C's attention.
Chechoui
Gorgeous illustrations that perfectly capture the movement and expressions of cats!
Ruth Ann
Ooh boy, I hope I still have this one - I may have given away too many....
David
Dec 17, 2008 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book, but it didn't need the one random page with Santa.
Mckinley
Jan 27, 2014 Mckinley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, christmas, cat
Updated illustrations for an older story.
  • Shall I Knit You a Hat?: A Christmas Yarn
  • The Trees of the Dancing Goats
  • The Mouse Before Christmas
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Paddington Bear and the Christmas Surprise
  • Snow
  • Cobweb Christmas: The Tradition of Tinsel
  • Moonlight: The Halloween Cat
  • Santa's Book of Names
  • Can You See What I See?: The Night Before Christmas: Picture Puzzles to Search and Solve
  • Fletcher and the Snowflake Christmas
  • Santa Mouse
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...