Start by marking “A Pussycat's Christmas” as Want to Read:

A Pussycat's Christmas

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Christmas Is in the Air

But how can you tell?
Does the air smell of tangerines?
And Christmas greens?
Can you feel it in the wind? Or hear it in the sound of a song?

Experience the beauty and mystery of Christmas in this classic story told by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated with charming paintings by Anne Mortimer.
Published September 22nd 2009 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about A Pussycat's Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pussycat's Christmas

Ann
Jan 02, 2010 Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ann by: Katie, since it was a Christmas gift last year - thanks!
A cute story about preparations for Christmas from the eyes of the cat!

What really won me over here were the adorable illustrations! The beautiful colors and the wonderful expressions!

The text was, for me, just okay. I wasn't always captivated by the word choices, and more so the flow seemed wrong (wasn't the cat just taken OUT of the room with the Christmas tree and now it's back there?)

So, three stars for the story, but five for the illustrations. If you happen across this title, I'd suggest p
Miriam
Aside from a couple nice lines the prose was not too striking, but the illustrations were lovely and tender. Also, it was nice to see a story with a cat actually enjoying the Christmas preparations rather than being frightened or disturbed (although I did love Mog's Christmas anyway).
Julia Brumfield
A beautiful intake on the Christmas season with the senses of hearing and smelling being emphasized more than some of the other senses within the book. Along with the beautiful illustrations you will be transported back to some of your own Christmases to think in what senses you actually celebrate the holiday.

The pictures are beautifully done with Anne Mortimer doing a wonderful job in both catching the colors of the season as well as the curious cuteness of Pussycat. And so for the person who
Mallory (Leaning Tower of Tomes)
Originally published on my blog The Leaning Tower of Tomes: http://leaningtoweroftomes.wordpress....

A Pussycat's Christmas a beautiful, heartwarming children's classic (in my opinion). Margaret Wise Brown wrote the classics Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny, too; her poetic-like writing enchants you and lulls you. My mother would read A Pussycat's Christmas to me every night on Christmas Eve. Even now I still like to read it on my own around the holidays. It's just such a magical, enchanting
Dolly
Dec 28, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've loved Margaret Wise Brown's books for young children and have read Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny over and over until the board book bindings fell apart. So when we saw this book at our local library, we just had to check it out. It's a sweet look at Christmas from a cat's perspective and alhtough I think the narrative is a bit rambling, the illustrations more than make up for it. We enjoyed reading this book aloud together.
Gretchen
This is a beautifully illustrated story that explores the sights, sounds, and smells of Christmas as seen through the eyes of a cat. I loved the pictures. It helps that the cat looks a lot like my two kitties!
Margaret
An extremely cute Christmas picture book! I loved the illustrations!
Lori
What a captivating little Christmas book. The illustrations are marvelous & colorful. Illustartor Anne Moritmer really captures the nature of Pussycat & cats in general. I also love the smaller touches of showing the same scene from different perspectives and having a snowman pop up in different scenes throughout to book. I even read it to my dog with this morning's coffee beside our tree & he seemed to enjoy it's sweet story. It transports you to the excitement and also the calm of ...more
Rachel
I liked it. ...more
Meg McGregor
Pussycat associates certain sounds with Christmas...

the rustle of tissue paper,
the smell of the Christmas tree,
the falling of the snow.

What is the one thing that tells Pussycat it is Christmas Eve?

Your little ones will love the sweet sentimentality of this story.
Kelsey
A beautifully written book that is clearly creatively thought out and will draw the attention of children. This is a book I think children can definitely relate to, while also being enchanted by the beautiful illustrations.
Alamoliz
Another beautiful kitty book by Anne Mortimer, with Margaret Wise Brown's innocent feline enjoying the sights, sounds, and weather of the winter holiday. Spotting Santa's sleigh in the sky is only a part of the kitty's joy.
Jobiska (Cindy)
To me there is osmething of a disconnect between Margaret Wise Brown's text (and usual style) and Anne Mortimer's sweeter-than-sweet illustrations, but since I am fond of both, I can overlook it.
Kayla
Beautiful illustrations, but the writing is clunky and disjointed. The story seems to go on and on without actually telling a story. Not super entertaining for my kiddos.
Michelle
The cat is drawn so realistically! The only thing I didnt like was how the author said the cat "wanted" to break Christmas ornaments, when al cats want is to play
Skylar Burris
The poetry of the narration was decent, but there wasn't enough "story" to hold my daughter's interest, and I don't think it would hold up well to repeat readings.
Kathryn
My favorite part was when Pussycat rolled in the snow. The illustrations wer wonderful. Pussycat resembles our kitty. I would buy this book.
Lea
This book has really marvelous illustrations that are remarkably accurate at capturing the posture and facial expressions of cats.
Anna
Beautiful pictures. C enjoys looking at the cat. Sweet story, but the writing doesn't hold C's attention.
Chechoui
Gorgeous illustrations that perfectly capture the movement and expressions of cats!
Ruth Ann
Ooh boy, I hope I still have this one - I may have given away too many....
David
Beautiful book, but it didn't need the one random page with Santa.
Mckinley
Updated illustrations for an older story.
Lisa
very realistic drawings. nice story.
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Erica
Erica added it
May 06, 2015
Celeste Goldie
Celeste Goldie marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • Christmas Tapestry
  • Shall I Knit You a Hat?: A Christmas Yarn
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Night Tree
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
  • Santa's Book of Names
  • Humphrey's First Christmas
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p
More about Margaret Wise Brown...
Goodnight Moon The Runaway Bunny Big Red Barn Home for a Bunny The Color Kittens