Start by marking “The Art of the Start: The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything” as Want to Read:

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  16,295 Ratings  ·  342 Reviews
What does it take to turn ideas into action? What are the elements of a perfect pitch? How do you win the war for talent? How do you establish a brand without bucks? These are some of the issues everyone faces when starting or revitalizing any undertaking, and Guy Kawasaki, former marketing maven of Apple Computer, provides the answers.
Unknown Binding, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2009 by Findaway World (first published September 9th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of the Start, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of the Start

Chad Warner
Sep 23, 2012 Chad Warner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: Momentum MI
An excellent handbook for those starting a business or non-profit, stressing function over form and action over planning. The lessons apply to organizations whether they're bootstrapping or seeking funding from venture capitalists or angel investors. Kawasaki includes plenty of historical examples and firsthand experience, making this a practical real-world resource that's more valuable than a simply conceptual textbook.

Guy Kawasaki is a respected serial entrepreneur whose articles I've read in
Quinn
Apr 15, 2011 Quinn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmm... Pretty boring for a book that is suppose to light a fire. The real art of starting is starting, which I did, I just couldn't finish it.
Conrad Zero
Nov 19, 2012 Conrad Zero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business start ups planning to use venture capital to grow into a megacorp
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Not bad, but focused on a very niche market. The Art of the Start by Guy Kawasaki is subtitled "The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything." Unfortunately, that isn't entirely true, unless you consider reading only the chapters that pertain to you. The book does have a very specific audience in mind, and the subtitle should have been "How to take your start-up-business-idea and use venture capital to become the next Apple/Nike/Coke/Microsoft."

Like I said, pretty niche,
John Montgomery
A book by Guy Kawasaki is always a fun read. Kawasaki has a great sense of humor and is not afraid to speak his truth. The Art of the Start and Rob Adams' A Good Hard Kick in the Ass are two of my favorite books about the process of starting a company. Both authors speak their truth.

Kawasaki has an innate sense of how much information the brain can absorb at any one time. This book is composed of lots of digestible nuggets of advice, which he brings to life with stories and quotations. Kawasaki'
Anita Campbell
Aug 20, 2011 Anita Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is one of the best startup books out there -- and Kawasaki's best book. But it's not a book for everyone.

The focus is on tech entrepreneurs. While much of the advice is applicable to other industries, the book will hit the bullseye specifically with those starting technology businesses.

Another thing about this book: parts of it contain advice for those seeking funding from angel and VC investors. Since that covers a tiny percentage of the entrepreneurial population, it's really targ
Lance
Feb 26, 2011 Lance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up earlier in the year while browsing in the bookstore. That's partly why I picked up the book; I succumbed to a dangerous moment. Putting me in a bookstore is like putting an alcoholic in a bar -- we're both going to get something.

Yet I also found the subtitle enchanting. "The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything." I was initially intrigued by the idea of starting my life over again, so I sat down on the floor in the bookstore aisle to see what this
Emily
Jun 06, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Fun, informative read from someone who knows what he's talking about. He includes interesting and memorable stories to illustrate his points. He also provides enough examples and details that you feel that you have a chance of actually implementing what he suggests without belaboring it or overgeneralizing to the point of uselessness.

Particularly liked the chapters on "being a mensch" and rainmaking. He advocates a boot-strapping, "get it done" business mentality with a solid core of integrity.

C
TarasProkopyuk
Довольно хорошая книга.

Она особенно будет полезна для начинающих предпринимателей так как она достойна стать путеводителем в бесконечном мире лабиринтов.

Для тех кто уже не первый день в бизнесе должен признать, что книга может не оправдать ожиданий.

Особенно радует легкий стиль автора, так как он очень редко встречается в бизнес литературе.
Jessica
Jan 14, 2009 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I'd heard good things about this book, but ultimately found it disappointing. Might be ideal for someone just entering the business world, but as the owner of a small design studio I found much of the advice to be useless or outdated.
Heba
Mar 02, 2015 Heba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the most beautiful stories in this book "Daniel J. Simons of the University of Illinois and Christopher F.
Chabris of Harvard University ran an interesting experiment that has
rainmaking implications. They asked students to watch a video of
two teams of players throwing basketballs to one another. The students'
task was to count how many passes one team made to their
teammates.Thirty-five seconds into the video, an actor dressed as a gorilla
entered the room the players were in, thumped his chest, and
Alison P
May 12, 2014 Alison P rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read the first 20 pages of a lot of supposedly similar books and given up on them. Time, after all, is one of the most valuable assets to an entrepreneur, and I won't have mine wasted. But with The Art of the Start I was learning and thinking on every page, and genuinely got excited about my own business by reading this book; it doesn't get much better than that.

Guy Kawasaki has a gift for getting right to the heart of an issue, in a no-nonsense way, which of course every entrpreneur needs;
Lynn
Dec 24, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The draw back of listening to this on audiobook as opposed to reading it in print was that I didn't do the exercises or write down ideas of things that I really thought were important ... it is hard to do when driving 65 miles per hour down the highway!

But it is my hope to re-listen to this book soon so that ideas can percolate in my head and turn into action.

This breaks the project into many points. If you are starting a business or a church group or a new hobby; you need a plan. All projects s
ShaiMaa
Apr 17, 2013 ShaiMaa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entrepreneurship
كتاب جاي كاواساكي ”فن البداية – الدليل المثبت بالزمن والمحسن بالتجربة لأي شخص يريد أن يبدأ أي شيء“، يعد من كلاسيكيات الكتب التي تحدثت عن ريادة الأعمال، وهو دليل مبسط مباشر يسعى لتحفيز رواد الأعمال الجددد على البدء فوراً، من خلال أحد عشر فصلاً، تفصل المعارف الأساسية اللازمة لقيادة العمل التجاري الناشئ نحو النجاح.

حيث يقودك المؤلف إلى مغامرة مثيرة، في عالم أنشاء الأعمال التجارية، يغلب فيها الطابع الفني على الجانب العلمي، بداية من جمع المال، وحتى توظيف العمالة المناسبة، وذلك في شكل دليل أساسي لأي شخ
kareem
Aug 27, 2007 kareem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
original review:

I first heard of Guy Kawasaki when his brilliant college graduation speech passed through my email client several years ago. His speech impressed with his practical insight, entertainment value, and conciseness. I later learned that he had evangelized the original Macintosh while at Apple, which made his book on startups a no-brainer read for me.

The Art of the Start is a quick read, and is written in Kawasaki's entertaining and informative
Alena B.
Jan 13, 2016 Alena B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To start your business first of all you need the idea that will change the world. If you have it, this book will help you to represent it in the right way. The advises are simple and obvious but nonetheless are still brilliant. This is a desk book for all beginners
Herve
Sep 21, 2011 Herve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Art of the Start is a great book because it inspires. Guy Kawasaki, the author, does tell you how to build a convincing vision, a convincing pitch. It is not about writing a 40-page business plan. It is about the “value of making meaning” which may induce making money. The book is clear, simple and once you have read it, you will not see things the same way… go, run and buy it!

A brief quote from the book which illustrates why start-ups are important.

“Innovation often originates outside exist
Ray Jackson
Jun 22, 2015 Ray Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The GIST of this book is that it’s about the PURPOSE of everything an entrepreneur experiences in building a successful startup. This book is clearly exclusive as it is written to address key issues of entrepreneurship for many reasons briefed below. Guy Kawasaki has used his expertise on this subject from various aspects of his career being an evangelist, an entrepreneur & a venture capitalist. This gives Kawasaki the perfect leverage to attract and give the reader an interactive experience ...more
Jonathan Brooker
Oct 04, 2014 Jonathan Brooker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though this book is primarily geared towards those starting a business venture, it was nice of the author to even include church workers in his audience in the beginning to make sure I felt like I belonged. And I say it that way because Kawasaki really did work (and worked successfully, I'd say) at keeping a conversational and friendly demeanor to his writing. All the way to the Foreword he was showing that he'd written the book simply to help the reader succeed, and I like books that humbly hop ...more
Charlie Hecke
Jul 31, 2014 Charlie Hecke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the Art of the Start to be a valuable reference in different phases of start up. In the beginning, you may be preparing a business plan. There are tips about how to make your plan stand out and common mistakes to avoid. Later, you may be looking for funds. There is an entire chapter on raising capital.

The way I had to tackle this book was to read one chapter at a time. This is not just a "How to Book." It is like a bible. Have you ever read the bible from start to finish? Rather, I wait
Dave Charbonneau
One of four books I recommend for taking ideas from mind to market. Kawasaki breaks things down into simple steps. This is the "How-To" outline to start any project; as well as how-to present the project to prospective partners, investors, or customers. Combined with the right philosophy, this book should help any project get off the ground without all the useless rhetoric.

You can see this book in action as I move projects forward at http://SelfEnterpriser.com
Joe Robles
Dec 27, 2011 Joe Robles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: executive-shelf
There's a reason this book is recommended reading for anyone thinking of starting a business! It has great ideas that even an existing company could use to help make their business better.

The book is primarily focused on tech start-ups, which makes sense, but even if you're planning on starting a brick and mortar store you can adapt the ideas to fit your business.

Definitely read whether you're planning on selling cupcakes or software.
Bert Cattoor
Jan 01, 2016 Bert Cattoor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very readable text, with more than a few good insights. Some will come across as quite obvious, but it's good to hear them again. It's a good book to read if you are contemplating on making your startup idea into a reality, offering do's and don'ts.
The book is littered with anecdotes that serve to illustrate Kawasaki's point. Did you know having Aeron chairs in your office before your startup gets traction is a good indicator of failure? While there's certainly a lot of tongue-in-cheek copy, the
Todd Ramsey
Mar 27, 2010 Todd Ramsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are very few books that I've read in one day. This is one of them. Simple, practical and incredibly valuable, this book is a straight forward guide to starting a company, non-profit or church – though the latter group will have to drawn some conclusions of their own, as the book is definitely targeted to those looking to create a new product or service.

I strongly recommend this book.
Tucker
Aug 09, 2014 Tucker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Despite the subtitle, this is not really relevant to "starting anything"; it is more specifically about starting a company in a way that involves pitches to venture capitalists and so forth.

The book makes the observation that some novices set a goal to convince 1 percent of a giant market to buy their product. It sounds good, because "1 percent" of any population sounds like an easily attainable sales target, and yet it would translate to an enormous amount of sales revenue. The problem is that
Ilona
Dec 29, 2015 Ilona rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a book for those who have no real interest in starting an entrepreneurial adventure, but likes to talk about their yet non-existant but definitely huge app idea over latte with like minded procrastinators. (Case in point: me)
It might be useful for real entrepreneurs, but 10 bucks say that those dudes and dudettes just do their thing and don't read dead-end motivational literature.
Everyone loves the Guy and let him pass this as a real book, but the advice here is similar to content generate
Riley
Feb 04, 2016 Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Art of the Start, is for anyone looking to start anything. The author says the book is for anything from an internet business, to managing a church group. I like how the author focused on a lot of the core skills needed for starting a business. He writes about how to properly pitch to potential investors or people of that sort. One of the key things that he writes about is how staying positive and listening to your consumers are the main points of starting a business. The writing was effecti ...more
Kelly Lynn Thomas
The narrator for this audiobook is not the best. He pronounces some things strangely and his voice is very nasally. The content itself is pretty solid, but saying it's for anyone starting anything is really not true. It's for people starting businesses who plan to raise a shit load of venture capital and people who are already in giant business who want to start a new product/department/whatever. It's not really for people who want to start small businesses; there's pretty much zero info on how ...more
Aaron Maurer
Dec 01, 2014 Aaron Maurer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Who doesn't love Guy Kawasaki? I read this book with the idea of taking the business ideas and applying to the education world. This was not as easy as I had hoped. A lot of great content with many exercises and questions to process. I took away some key ideas that apply to anyone, anywhere. Mostly, have a plan, but don't wait for a perfect plan to get started. You don't have to wait until you are big and massive to get organized. Do this right away. Find the right people. Get Started. Most impo ...more
Jonathan
A must read for anyone looking to start a business or looking to start a new business within an existing organization.

His writing on the topic of "internal entrepreneuring" is pretty insightful and right on the mark. The long list of recommendations suggested for internal entrepreneurship highlights why large companies struggle with true innovation, particularly when innovation isn't a personal pet project of a powerful CEO (for example, Steve Jobs...). But if you're interested in pushing an inn
Josh McConnell
Feb 26, 2012 Josh McConnell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Some interesting concepts are given here, I suppose. But to be honest, most people (especially those in academic fields) hype this one up way too much. There are plenty of better business books to help you in your career and/or startup than The Art of the Start. The models (aka "lenses") in the text are too rigid and step-by-step to be useful, as you are boxed into one-way of thinking. In addition, the category names within "lenses" are so off the wall that you spend half the time looking backwa ...more
Started on whereas you know got IRA has to 1 2 Dec 30, 2015 11:03PM
  • Principles of Statistics
  • Getting Started in Consulting
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Lucky or Smart?: Secrets to an Entrepreneurial Life
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • The Knack: How Street-Smart Entrepreneurs Learn to Handle Whatever Comes Up
  • The Sales Bible: The Ultimate Sales Resource
  • The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully
  • The Bootstrapper's Bible: How to Start and Build a Business With a Great Idea and (Almost) No Money
  • Ready, Fire, Aim: Zero to $100 Million in No Time Flat
  • The Myths of Innovation
I was born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1954. My family lived in a tough part of Honolulu called Kalihi Valley. We weren’t rich, but I never felt poor-because my mother and father made many sacrifices for my sister and me. My mother was a housewife, and my father was a fireman, real estate broker, state senator, and government official during his long, distinguished career.

I attended Iolani School where
More about Guy Kawasaki...

“The next time you think that there's something that you "can't live without", wait for a week and then see if you're still alive or not” 13 likes
“Successful companies are started, and made successful, by at least two, and usually more, soulmates.” 1 likes