Start by marking “James Joyce” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
James Joyce

Edna O'Brien

James Joyce

The fifth book in the bestselling Penguin Lives -- Penguin Lives pairs celebrated writers with famous Great writers on great figures individuals who have shaped our thinking.

With all the earthy sensuality and majestic storytelling that have made her one of Ireland's preeminent writers, award-winning novelist Edna O'Brien paints the most passionate, personal, and sensuous p
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published December 21st 1999 by Books on Tape, Inc. (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about James Joyce, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James Joyce

Justin Evans
An odd experience this: in college, I apparently loved Joyce. I read his works, I read Ellmann's biography, I thought Joyce was right about more or less everything.

Here I am, less than 15 years later, reading O'Brien's short life in anticipation of re-reading Joyce's work (other than the Wake), and I've come to almost exactly the opposite conclusion: that Joyce is wrong about more or less everything: an awful human being who hid behind tiresome romantic cliches about Truth and Beauty, a man who
Bookthesp1
Jan 23, 2012 Bookthesp1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
O'brien writes like an angel ( okay an angel who swallowed a big plate of oirish blarney)
And this is truly brilliant. Lyrical, informative and rich prose that makes you smile as you read- fab.
Frank
Jul 21, 2011 Frank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish-authors
Hardly a standard biography and not quite literary criticism either, though there are elements of both here certainly: it would perhaps be too glib to call this a portrait of the artist. O’Brien assumes her readers have a familiarity with both the outline of Joyce’s life and his major works, she dives right into the story, parodying Joyce’s style:
Once upon a time there was a man coming down a road in Dublin and he gave himself the name of Dedalus the sorcerer, constructor of labyrinths and make
Ed
Nov 28, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O'Brien's style, while clearly her own, echoing her short stories and novels, takes on the diction and rhythm of her subject as the biography moves through his career from "Stephen Hero" to "Finnegan's Wake". While her bookl stands on its own as a work of art, O'Brien is neither particularly exact regarding dates nor is she interested pining down when and why the Joyce family moved, for example, for the 11th time while Joyce was still living with them in Dublin--it is enough for her to point out ...more
K
May 01, 2010 K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
So this book is clearly written by a writer (and one with a phenomenal vocabulary at that), which, obviously, is great because you get to see a writer thinking about one of her heroes. This also becomes a problem, mostly because I don't agree with O'Brien that a genius is required to be an asshole because of his lack of presence in the real world (among the mere mortals such as Stanislaus, his brother). This is a great fantasy, and perhaps a strange way to put someone on a pedestal, but I have t ...more
Joan
Nov 20, 2008 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O'Brien channels Joyce's ecstatic language and produces a vivid portrait of the man and his city in this fabulous SHORT biography. I am now a huge fan of the Penguin Lives series.
Peter Pinkney
May 29, 2017 Peter Pinkney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, but very good biography of the author James Joyce. Written in the same playful prose that Joyce wrote in.
Joyce was a brilliant author, but it must be said, not a very nice man.
Magdalena
Biography is a tricky art, no less in need of writerly skills than novel writing. The subject is a character who needs to be fleshed out and developed, with conflict and resolution picked from the myriad trivia of day to day activity, into a plotline. What we end up with is not the sum of a life, but a perspective; as much fiction as fact. So it makes sense that the Penguin Lives series uses well-known novelists to create their short biographies. As with Jane Smiley’s Dickens: A Life, Edna O’B ...more
Bob R Bogle
Jan 04, 2013 Bob R Bogle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-things-joyce
Edna O'Brien's book about James Joyce in the Penguin Lives Series is short, sweet, and devastating in its sorrowfulness.

Having now racked up quite a few words in the fiction game myself, I can now relate to this book in a very different way than I would have a few years ago. This book will mean something quite different to another writer as opposed to a reading fan of James Joyce. The fact that O'Brien is herself a writer means this slender volume contains certain natural insights that another m
Viviane Crystal
Oct 30, 2011 Viviane Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emotionally bereft, haunted by poverty, cynical of religion and politics, James Joyce spends his whole life determined to grasp every experience to its dregs. Edna O'Brien masterfully conveys how these attitudes and consequent behaviors both attracted and repulsed professional and consumer readers throughout Joyce's stressful, conflict-ridden life. In the beginning of his life, he moves from being an ardent Catholic to one who projects his hatred of his own lusts upon the priests who formerly in ...more
Olle
Mar 03, 2017 Olle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: läst-2017-03
Ganska välskriven och intressant
Petra
Dec 25, 2011 Petra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this on the last day of the year.
All in all, I enjoyed this book. It assumes that the reader has read Joyce's works (there are spoilers throughout; some in detail) and knows about Joyce's life. I came in only having read one book and not knowing anything about his life.
In those terms, the book skips through Joyce's life, highlighting the details and important events, without analysis or explanation. None are really needed. Some questions were raised because of my lack of knowledge so
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
I love writers on writers. O'Brien's biography of James Joyce is as boisterous and playful as Joyce's own prose. This is a reader's biography, full of fantastic vocabulary and mischievous, serpentine phrasing. Those familiar with Joyce's life will likely learn nothing new, but the passion and joy O'Brien has for Joyce makes revisiting his life exciting; for those new to James Joyce, this biography is a bit like baptism-by-fire. The reader is plunged in to Joyce's life with little explication of ...more
Marcie
Nov 26, 2011 Marcie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Joyce was an author who could easily have been classified as mad or brilliant or perhaps both. Edna O'Brien gives us a glimpse into James Joyce's unconventional life in her novel, James Joyce: A Life. I wanted to read this book because James Joyce is on my list of authors whose books I need to read. I've had Dubliners sitting on my shelf unread for the longest time. However I have managed to read a few of his works so I didn't feel totally unprepared.
Edna O'Brien touches on various points
Maggie
Apr 27, 2013 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
no doubt in my mind that james joyce was a genius. and an uncontrolled genius when it came to language play. what i can not yet decide is if this uncontrolled genius of jj's was/is good for literature or not. i may never come to a firm conclusion nor do i need to. his work stands alone.

edna o'brien's review of joyce, his life, and his major works helps me to understand the irish genius shot through and through with language play and story telling.

i remain convinced however that i would not have
James
Nov 04, 2015 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't enjoy this book all that much, but it was short enough that I finished it anyway.

In short, the subject matter (James Joyce's life) was not compelling- he was a raging jerk, and seems to have done nothing but torment the people around him. That's probably why, no matter how well written the book could have been, it just sapped my energy trying to get through it. Ironically, although he is apparently a remarkable author, this book had the effect of making me *not* want to read his work. O
Barbara Backus
Jul 06, 2014 Barbara Backus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edna O'Brien's treatment of James Joyce assumes you've read his works. Her own brilliance comes through as she dissects how he came to produce Ulysses, Finnegan's Wake and his other works. In the hands of a lesser writer, I believe it might have been an easier read, but one without a deep insight into Joyce's manner and style of writing and his inspirations.

But it is the depiction of Joyce's life that is disturbing. Was he a madman or just eccentric? How could he have treated so badly those who
Steven
O’Brien’s biography of Joyce is written in a Joycean style: when she is writing about his life while he was working on Ulysses her narrative mimics the style of Ulysses, and when she writes about his life when he was working on Finnegan’s Wake she mimics the style of that book. The technique is good because it gives a sense of the work with the life. O’Brien’s book is also well balanced: despite being an avowed fan of Joyce the author, she is unflinching in revealing what a lousy person he was. ...more
Charlene
This cannot have been an easy book to write. Distilling a major author (maybe The author of the 20th century) down to 178 small pages, covering his difficult relationships with family, friends and native country and talking about his books . . . I was impressed with how well Edna O'Brien did. It's a short book but not an easy one -- not in vocabulary, style or depth.
Probably better appreciated by a more literary minded person than myself but I still enjoyed it and found it interesting.
Alan
Aug 27, 2016 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back to back Edna O'Brien. Penguin Lives is a series where writers do shrt page biographies, usually of other writers. Since I plan to go back to the Joyce Museum in Dublin and to do my Bloomsday walk, this seemed a perfect read fort for me, and it was. It gives you a sense of hte novels, the life in exile, his love /hate affair with Ireland, and his tumultuous relationship owth Nora- all in 150 pages. But its not like a Cliffs Notes, as O'Brien writes in both his style and hers to good effect.
Gregory Rothbard
Edna O'Brien does a good job of giving an introduction to Joyce (the complicated author). Joyce was a genius beyond his period or our period of understanding. The genius probably frustrated the author. The book shares the man, who was profound and challenging to the modern man. We love Joyce even when he might make us mad. He was a critical author who's writing was a paragon of free verse and feeling of home. Edna O'Brien shows us why Joyce's writing is worth the time and effort to make understa ...more
Decbres
Dec 31, 2012 Decbres rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The good old indo has been doing their biography of great Irish persons again and there are quite a selection available. Edna'O Briens book on Joyce I found a wonderful read. She adopts some of his stylistics and mingles his own story with the narrative of his incredible work. It is a wonderful insight into the mind of a genius and having lived in Dublin for mnay years one can get a sense of the city from O'Brien as one does from Joycer. Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Jacq Jardin
Nov 19, 2015 Jacq Jardin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a short biography of James Joyce. the life, the brilliance, the genius, the cruelty, the arrogance. the more i read about the man, the more disappointed i become. he not only sat down with his demons, he let them devour and consume him altogether. and while there's no denying he was a literary genius, i think he was also a horrible human being.
thoroughly enjoyed the way O'Brien writes, although she is clearly a Joyce fan.
Greta
Oct 23, 2016 Greta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edna O'Brien gives a compassionate look at the troubled and tortured life of James Joyce, his wife, children, parents and siblings. Almost without exception the details of his books are drawn from the lives of these loved ones, his friends, competitors, foes and Dublin. Alcoholism, guilt, mental illness, failing eyesight and other undiagnosed health problems are among his personal challenges, and yet he writes great stories.
Lealdo
Feb 11, 2016 Lealdo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Essa curta biografia, como tantas outras, é um pouco idólatra demais para o seu próprio bem. Porém, O'Brien consegue criar uma boa hi(e)stória a partir desse culto, e nem esconde o sujo - James Joyce era, em boa medida, um escroto.

Mezzo-sincero. mezzo-apaixonado, o livro é envolvente, informativo e, caralhos me partam, emocionante.
Esoldra
Feb 14, 2011 Esoldra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, insightful and as close to Joyce as you will get through a biography. O'Brien writes in the style of Joyce, interconnects the man to the works that he breathed, and he lived. The style of writing, the brevity of the chapters and conciseness of detail makes this also a good book for those who have no interest in Joyce, due alone to the style of writing of O'Brien.
Carol
May 16, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read Irish novelist Edna O'Brien fairly recently, I was interested in her perspective on Joyce. This biography taught me many things about him and it was an engaging read. Of course, not being a Joyce scholar of any kind, I can't really have an informed opinion about what she writes of him. Still, this may give me the courage to tackle Ulysses again in time for Bloomsday.
Patrick
Jul 21, 2007 Patrick rated it did not like it
Shelves: penguin-lives
Perhaps the most frustrating of all the books in the Penguin Lives series...occassionally there is good factual material on Joyce, but the style of writing is almost unreadable...i think the author was trying to use the same Joyce might have used had he written this book...but it would work for Joyce, whereas it doesn't for Edna O'Brien...
Lady Drinkwell
Jan 16, 2016 Lady Drinkwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This biography of Joyce read like a novel.. or poetry in parts. In fact there were times when, not having read Ulysses, I was unsure whether Edna O'Brien was quoting or paraphrasing. A biography of Joyce really needs to be written by an Irish man/woman. O'Brien, in a warts and all description of his life, helps us to understand that his inadequacies were part and parcel of his genius.
Dayla
Mar 03, 2013 Dayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, the bio of Oscar Wilde, and "Angela's Ashes" describe so clearly the affects of alcoholism on the body, that it is a wonder that detox centers don't use them more often as conversation starters.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • James Joyce: A Biography
  • Nora
  • Ulysses And Us: The Art Of Everyday Living
  • The Bay of Foxes
  • Charles Dickens
  • A Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake: James Joyce's Masterwork Revealed
  • Fires of London (Francis Bacon, #1)
  • Marcel Proust
  • James Joyce
  • A Man of Parts
  • Lola Montez Conquers the Spaniards (Whip Smart, #1)
  • The Complete Novels
  • Irrepressible: The Life and Times of Jessica Mitford
  • Stalking Nabokov: Selected Essays
  • Re Joyce
  • A Future Arrived (Passing Bells, #3)
  • Selected Letters of James Joyce
Edna O’Brien (b. 1930), an award-winning Irish author of novels, plays, and short stories, has been hailed as one of the greatest chroniclers of the female experience in the twentieth century. She is the 2011 recipient of the Frank O’Connor Prize, awarded for her short story collection Saints and Sinners. She has also received, among other honors, the Irish PEN Award for Literature, the Ulysses Me ...more
More about Edna O'Brien...