Start by marking “Yarn Bombing: The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti” as Want to Read:
Yarn Bombing: The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti

Yarn Bombing: The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  250 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
As seen in The New York Times and The New Yorker

On city street corners, around telephone posts, through barbed wire fences, and over abandoned cars, a quiet revolution is brewing. "Knit graffiti" is an international guerrilla movement that started underground and is now embraced by crochet and knitting artists of all ages, nationalities, and genders. Its practitioners crea
Published September 1st 2009 by Arsenal Pulp Press

To ask other readers questions about Yarn Bombing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yarn Bombing

The Little Grey Flannel Book by Stephen  OsborneWith a Rough Tongue by Amber DawnBlue is the Warmest Color by Julie MarohGender Failure by Rae SpoonFist of the Spider Woman by Amber Dawn
Arsenal Pulp Press
73rd out of 89 books — 3 voters
1000 Ideas for Creative Reuse by Garth Johnson1000 Jewelry Inspirations (mini) by Sandra SalamonyFa la la la Felt by Amanda CarestioLearning to Weave by Deborah ChandlerColor Works by Deb Menz
CREATE!
117th out of 127 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathleen Dixon
Jul 05, 2012 Kathleen Dixon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
What fun!

Now, I know I'd never have the courage to start up a yarn bombing group, but if I heard of one locally, and if I had stashes of yarn available that I didn't have to pay for, then I'd be in like a shot.

Yarn bombing is the act of knitting or crocheting coverings for trees or poles or . . . in public places. This book is excellent. These are the chapters:
Why Yarn Graffiti is the Bomb = a history of yarn bombing, which includes illustrations of an intricately covered motorbike, and a covere
Leslie
Jun 15, 2010 Leslie rated it liked it
Read the interviews with yarn bombers and look at the pretty pictures; skip the self-important nattering about how to pick your yarn bomber name and how you should deal with people who "don't understand the importance" of yarn bombing -- especially since the authors don't make much of a case for it themselves.
jess
Dec 22, 2009 jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, craft
My wife was suspicious of this book when I picked it up from the library. Since we live someplace that is so rainy, yarn bombing sounds like a pretty bad idea. However, some of these knitters live in Vancouver, which is pretty rainy too. I think acrylic yarn would hold up well enough even to our weather, and if you used a natural fiber, it would biodegrade (eventually) even if it didn't hold up as well to the elements. Whether you become a knitting graffiti artist after reading this book or not, ...more
Danielle
Aug 18, 2010 Danielle rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-read, crafting
An interesting book, full of beautifully-shot photos for inspiration. Though I don't much see the point in the few detailed 'patterns' for creating what is such an individual 'art'. The photos themselves were enough inspiration for me, without needing patterns.

The latter part of the book gets into some really LARGE projects and ideas, which are beyond my interests.

The authors also went over-long into how to gather a crew, how to name it, and how they're just 'so misunderstood' (my paraphrase).
Bronwen
Feb 07, 2010 Bronwen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in knitting/crochet and street art
Recommended to Bronwen by: My Mum (she saw it in a catalogue)
Shelves: non-fiction, craft
I have fallen in love with this idea! I feel really inspired and excited by the whole concept. I originally borrowed this book from my local library but I enjoyed it so much I've ordered my own copy from an online store. In the meantime I've started planning ideas for yarn bombing in my suburb! :D
Haley Mathiot
Nov 16, 2009 Haley Mathiot rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Yarn Bombing—the art of crochet and knit graffiti by Mandy Moore and Leanne Prain
Genre: craft/art
Rating: 4/5

Yarn Bombing is an extremely inspirational and creative book. It got my knitting juices flowing and made my hands itch for the needles when I saw pictures of colorful yarn knit into… beautiful graffiti?

Yes, yarn graffiti. Yarn Bombing is a rather large thing in big cities and even other countries where knitting is prominent, especially Sweden (see links below).

Yarn Bombing has many fa
Cheryl Gatling
I picked this book up because it looked fun, and it is fun. Yarn bombing is knitting or crocheting "sweaters" (the book calls them "tags") to decorate lamp posts, trees, fences, or statues, any public site. The book is filled with photographs from all over the world, from projects as small as a knitted finger cot for a statue's hand to as large as a cover for a bus. The book makes a great deal of the subversive nature of yarn bombing, making a statement about adding a personal touch to our soull ...more
Sonia Mcintosh
Feb 05, 2012 Sonia Mcintosh rated it really liked it
In the area where I live yarn bombing is becoming quite popular. Fences, bike racks, poles, parking meters and trees are all being decorated by yarn graffiti. It has even come to the attention of the local newspaper. Being an occasional knitter, and having some extra time up my sleeve the idea of beautifying the council with knitted handiwork is appealing.
Yarn Bombing by Mandy Moore and Leanne Prain is just what I need to get some inspiration and get started. Like regular paint graffiti, yarn g
Naomi
Jul 06, 2011 Naomi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: rogue knitters
Shelves: knitting, 2011
What a little gem, a fun and interesting introduction to the world of yarn bombing, or knit graffiti, or installation art. This book describes the history and evolution of this cultural phenomenon, and introduces us to some of the artists at the epicenter. I loved all the pictures, and the interviews, and even the patterns, although the patterns were really secondary. I think the patterns were more an effort to reach beginners than the primary goal of the book, and it was reiterated frequently t ...more
jen
May 11, 2010 jen rated it liked it
Shelves: activism, artists
This is a fun book for fans of street art in addition to knitters. It does not skimp on the photos, showing many examples of knit graffiti and related knit and crochet art projects around the world. Several yarn bombing artists and groups are interviewed in the group and provide inspiration for other interested in yarn bombing. It is very thoroughly researched nicely designed. As with books I have read on guerrilla gardening, this book had perhaps a bit too much how-to information for my liking. ...more
Joshua Gage
Sep 27, 2014 Joshua Gage rated it really liked it
Shelves: crochet
I like the idea of this text, and it explores the culture of Yarn Bombing quite well. However, while it's certainly fun, the very concept of yarn bombing seems wasteful to me, as there are so many better things one can make/do with the yarn (blankets for the homeless, hats and gloves for women's shelters, etc.). I like the concept, the idea to make crochet and knitting somehow rebellious, but I also find myself questioning it.
Emily
Apr 08, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
It has pretty pictures, some nice patterns, and good interviews. It has one of the better cardigan designs I've seen. There is a wonderful sense of humor throughout the book - even in the pattern instructions. It's a library rental I'll probably go out an purchase.

My only caveat is that it ignores a lot of the issues of class appropriation happening in knit graffiti (which some people did bring up when they saw me reading this). I don't think it's wrong to yarn bomb. I've been considering starti
Cindy
Dec 01, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing
So it's not great literature. But boy, is it inspiring. I showed it to a client that suffers from depression and she was tickled by all the pictures. Yes, it's true many of the "sneaky" patterns seem a bit useless, but I really love the chainlink weave pattern (one of the few useful ones) and am going to give it a try.

Inspired to start a crew. Yep. Not bad for a book.
Ybgenny
Jan 21, 2014 Ybgenny rated it really liked it
This book introduced me to yarn bombing. And through yarn bombing I've met and worked with amazing people and have really enjoyed my time in the fiber community.

A great book with quiet a bit of humor and some fun patterns.
Mortira
Mar 18, 2012 Mortira rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ptah
Even though I'm not a knitter, I can't imagine a more enjoyable book. Yarn Bombing chronicles the history of street art, graffiti, knitting and crochet, and the sudden and fantastic merging of the genres into a modern art form. Following this in depth look at the world of tagging with string, readers are treated to fantastic instruction, patterns and inspiration for joining the movement. Novice crafters will need to go elsewhere for knitting and crochet basics, but everything else you need to ta ...more
Katie King
I am using this in my Women, Art and Culture class.

Like many things about it, and about its discussions of street art especially.

Love the artists included! The web stuff is excellent too.

Am slightly taken aback by the commercialism of it? is that the right word? or maybe it just shows how narrow my range of act activisms is, or radical action, or feminisms. I would like to understand this aspect better. And perhaps I am not smart enough about commercial success and also about how to include pe
Carolyn
Apr 14, 2012 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Although I don't expect to get caught up in the fiber graffiti craze anytime soon, this was a fun book with lots of great photos of a large variety of yarn bombing projects from simple swatches wrapped around poles to oversize landscape-filling or tank-covering endeavors. Includes a good how-to section (knitted sneakers that you can throw over telephone lines?) and interviews with participants in the movement. OK, I skimmed more than read because really all you need to do is look at the pictures ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 03, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Yarn domination!

All over the place yarn graffiti artists are leaving their art around trees, chain link fences, parking meters, and the like. Some yarn artists tag street lights and others public monuments. Some yarn art is political (The Pink M.24 Chaffee) while other rather cheeky (like Chelsea Gunn's "Monster Feet").

Best of all- yarn graffiti is unexpected and fun.

Read this book for inspiration and pick up your needles (or hooks) stat!
Mary
Oct 18, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading how yarn bombing came about, I am not so certain I would go out and put something I worked so hard on something where people would take it and destroy it because they don't like it, but I would be interested in making a sweater for my tree out front...it is looking a little cold some days. I would also love to make some elf shoes to hang in my trees, So I would have fun putting these things in my yard. Now to start planning.
Savannah
Dec 03, 2011 Savannah rated it really liked it
Delightful: just my kind of projects. This is a very inspiring book, with brief profiles, interviews and tips from established and formal yarn bombers, plus patterns and lots of photos of basic tags. The instructions don't assume any particular skill level, but they're good about providing links to more information where needed. I hope the book proves popular in the library-we've certainly got plenty of yarn users in town who might be inspired.
Kate
Jan 10, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
I am in love with this book, and quietly dreaming of knitting a sweater for the tree in my front yard, just as soon as it warms up enough for me to stitch it up without my hands going numb!
Tuck
Sep 17, 2012 Tuck rated it really liked it
prain's first award winning, sort of how-to but more so art and creativity book. very inspiring, expect for the stupid cover. white people going ghetto is just blah/ . here second award winning book is the "hoopla" Hoopla: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery
christina
Nov 05, 2009 christina rated it it was amazing
Yes, Shane the term itself has an irritating quality, but I am an unapologetic fan,none the less.

I prefer to think of it in the growing movement is what I know think of as Fancyfying! Fancyfying combines all impulses to decorate the world around us, for no other reason than the satisfaction of doing so!

Fancyfye somewhere near you soon.
RH Walters
Jun 15, 2011 RH Walters rated it it was ok
Terrifically fun idea, and I love the plea for unity between knitters and crocheters. I don't think the sweet and folksy nature of yarnbombing needs so much mock street attitude to be entertaining, but a lot of people are obviously having fun and the pictures are great.
Amy Pool
Apr 16, 2013 Amy Pool rated it it was amazing
This book should be considered the Bible of Yarn Bombing. Who would have thought there would be a book on such a subject? It's fun, engaging, straightforward, concise, and entertaining. In fact, it's so good it is overdue at the library. I can't seem to let it go.
Lisa
Dec 06, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, knitting
It's not my thing, but very interesting to read about. Also, I love the crocheted flowers near Denver's Union Station construction project, so it was worth the read to learn a little more about that group.
Rebecca
Aug 24, 2010 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: fiber
To me this was more of a coffee table book. Definitely nice to look through, but didn't catch my attention to really read. Having said that, I now desperately want to try my hand at yarn bombing.
Lisa
Feb 08, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
Again, I was mostly in it for the pictures, but the interviews with different groups out there bombing were pretty cool. I had no idea how widespread the bombing was. Pretty awesome.
Erika
Nov 11, 2010 Erika added it
I absolutely adore this book! The interviews are interesting, it offers a wide range of answers to questions about yarn bombing, and the patterns are creative.
Mckinley
There are a few patterns but overall this is about the knitting movement of 'decorating' the outdoors both urban and rural around the world.
  • KnitKnit: Profiles + Projects from Knitting's New Wave
  • Hoopla: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Superstar Knitting: Go Beyond the Basics
  • Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials
  • Craft Activism: People, Ideas, and Projects from the New Community of Handmade and How You Can Join In
  • The Knitter's Life List: To Do, To Know, To Explore, To Make
  • Knitting Beyond the Edge: Cuffs and Collars*Necklines*Hems*Closures - The Essential Collection of Decorative Finishes
  • Knitting for Good!: A Guide to Creating Personal, Social, and Political Change Stitch by Stitch
  • Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting
  • Hip Knit Hats: 40 Fabulous Designs
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • 2-at-a-Time Socks: Revealed Inside. . . The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle Works for any Sock Pattern!
  • Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects
  • Knitting Nature: 39 Designs Inspired by Patterns in Nature
  • Sew Subversive: Down & Dirty DIY for the Fabulous Fashionista
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
  • Knitting 24/7: 30 Projects to Knit, Wear, and Enjoy, On the Go and Around the Clock
  • Woodland Knits: 20 enchanting projects to make and share