Start by marking “Little Lit: Strange Stories for Strange Kids” as Want to Read:
Little Lit: Strange Stories for Strange Kids

Little Lit: Strange Stories for Strange Kids (Little Lit #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The second groundbreaking anthology from the "New York Times" best-selling team of Art Spiegelman and Francoise Mouly is here The everyday world is turned upside down and the ordinary becomes extraordinary in this collection of the strangest tales. From Art Spiegelman's "The Several Lives of Selby Sheldrake" to Maurice Sendak's "Cereal Baby Keller "to Jules Feiffer's "Trap...more
Published September 18th 2001 by Joanna Cotler Books

To ask other readers questions about Little Lit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Lit

Aili
Jan 06, 2008 Aili rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Serious comics fans with $20 to burn
A lovely anthology of art by lots of really famous folks -- many of them famous for excellent reasons. This book is real purty. It's also neat to see non-comics folks like Paul Auster and David Sedaris try their hand at working with artists and telling a story visually, and to discover the gorgeous work of several underground, foreign (non-U.S.) artists.

Unfortunately the book isn't really sure what it is. The stories and activity pages are very narratively and thematically simple (in contrast to...more
Bruce
Aug 05, 2008 Bruce rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Many art styles by many critically-acclaimed 'underground' authors -- Kim Deitsch, Art Speigelman, Jules Feiffer, Crockett Johnson... what, were Robert Crumb and Bill Griffiths unavailable? A few duds, but 90% of the book was an enjoyable page-turner for my kids and I both. Lots of visual inspiration (layout and storytelling) here as well, especially in the story about 'Katropolis.' Nary a work which my 8 y.o. didn't 'get.' As fun to read aloud and cuddle behind as to enjoy silently and independ...more
Josephus FromPlacitas
Beautiful comics, amazing art, kid or grown-up you can lose yourself completely in the huge, ornate images by brilliant artists. One thing to review before giving it to a little kid might be to decide whether some of the more intense and grotesque images will jive well with your little brain-voyager's personality. Not that kids can't or shouldn't handle weirdness, but it's worth feeling out beforehand.
Jen
Dec 07, 2012 Jen rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: pb, middle
I read this because I recognized a couple of the names attached to it. I'm sure some people would appreciate it, but I didn't. There are 15 comics in this anthology all with different authors/illustrators. Some are better/more clever than others.
Derek
Bought this for my three year old and seven year old as their Father's Day present from me. Fantastic entree for the under-ten set to graphic novels and some surprising appearances by some authors and illustrators familiar to that crowd.
Nancy
I love this book. It has some offbeat stories and the illustrations are great. I still find my kids reading it sometimes even though they are older. Comic book fans will enjoy this book.
faelinwolf
I especially enjoyed the "comics" where you had to find different objects in them. :)
Moe
This was the best one out of the three books.
Kayleigh
Funky stories by graphic novel artists. awesome.
Emelia
My favorite Little Lit book EVER!
Shawn Thrasher
Love this series.
Kathleen Kenny
Kathleen Kenny marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Joshua
Joshua added it
Sep 03, 2014
Maria Gem
Maria Gem marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Angel O,
Angel O, marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Helena
Helena marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Dhwani
Dhwani added it
Jun 24, 2014
Robin
Robin added it
Jun 05, 2014
Rishi
Rishi marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Samanda
Samanda marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Art Spiegelman (born Itzhak Avraham ben Zeev) is New-York-based comics artist, editor, and advocate for the medium of comics, best known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning comic memoir, Maus.
More about Art Spiegelman...
Maus, I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History (Maus, #1) Maus, II: And Here My Troubles Began (Maus, #2) The Complete Maus (Maus, #1-2) In the Shadow of No Towers MetaMaus: A Look Inside a Modern Classic, Maus