Start by marking “Red, White & Dead (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Red, White & Dead (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #3)

Red, White & Dead (Izzy McNeil Mystery #3)

A few short months before, I’d juggled three men in my life, and then suddenly there were none. Today, one was staging a comeback, and I wasn’t sure what to do about that. In the meantime I was free to date whoever I wanted. Even a ranking member of the mafia as part of a part-time job.

Izzy McNeil is hot on the trail of one of Chicago’s most notorious gangsters. Not that h
Published July 21st 2009 by Mira

To ask other readers questions about Red, White & Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red, White & Dead

Linda
Dec 07, 2009 Linda rated it it was ok
Shannon
Feb 14, 2010 Shannon rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers.
Shelves: 2010
I did not like this third book in the Izzy McNeil trilogy as much as the first one. This took me FOREVER to finish (I've been working on it since the day after Christmas), but, in all fairness to me, I am visiting family and have had a sick husband and twins in the intervening time and been unable to stay up much past 8 p.m.! I am not so sure that that has much to do with the story or writing being any less good, but rather my inability to read more than a couple of pages at a time.

One thing tha
Meigan
Jan 02, 2013 Meigan rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This one just didn't knock it out of the park for me. I really liked the previous two in this series which I read concurrent to this one, so maybe I'm just "Izzy'd" out for the moment.

This one lacked the quirkiness and the humor of the previous two. It was more focused on the mystery and not so much on the relationships between the characters this time around, which necessarily isn't a bad thing providing the mystery is good. This mystery was strange. It was like a bad mash up of Ally McBeal me
Cecile Volten
Jul 31, 2016 Cecile Volten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leest lekker weg en is pakkend door de verassende wendingen in het boek. Sommige dingen zijn absoluut met veel fantasie bedacht maar desalniettemin heel leuk om te lezen
Kristen
Nov 17, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it
In the third installment of Laura Caldwell's Izzy McNeil legal thriller series, Red, White and Dead, Izzy McNeil was on an adventure of her life. Umemployed and looking for work, she always wondered about the mystery of her father's death. Little did she knew, it would take her to Italy to search for answers from her own aunt. The more she discovered the truth behind it and the Camorra mob connection, the more perilous she and her family would be. And in the end, there was an explosive ending th ...more
Becky
Feb 23, 2016 Becky rated it liked it
Not as good as the others, but still entertaining. Difficult to believe, and a bit predictable. Just found out there are 3 more books in this series, can't wait for a vacation to read them!
Teena in Toronto
Jul 04, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it it was ok
This is the third in the series ... I still have to read the second one.

This isn't a bad story and I liked Izzy's character. A lot of it is far-fetched and could never happen but you just have to go with it.

Though I enjoyed the writing style, I found it odd that most chapters were written in Izzy's voice ("I") and others which included her weren't (she is referred to as "she").

The story wrapped up really quickly and predictably and left a lot of loose ends for me.
Kathy
Dec 25, 2009 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
three parts of this story... Izzy catches the eye of a gangster (in a bad way)... her relationship with a younger man develops... and she becomes embroiled in discovering family secrets - her father (whom she thought died when she was 10) is actually alive; as a double agent with the FBI and his mafia family, he faked his own death and continued to work against them.... and his sister (Izzy's beloved aunt) is the family mafia head...
Patt
Nov 13, 2011 Patt rated it really liked it
This was the third book in the Izzy McNeil series. Ir was interesting, but not as good as the first two. In this book she travels to Italy to solve the mystery of her father's death. I think I enjoyed the others more because of the Chicago location, but this book did tie up some loose ends from the first two in the series.
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
Jun 08, 2010 Liberty Abbott-Sylvester rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
I hate that this is a trilogy! I love Izzy and want more!!! Of the three books, this was the best in my opinion. It was full of sex, mystery, heartache and more! The ending surprised me and that always makes for an excellent book. If you haven't had a chance to meet Izzy McNeil, I highly suggest it!
Barbara
Apr 17, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-romance
Best of the three books. Very suspenseful ad intriguing. Lot of surprises in the story as well. Leaves you hanging a bit at the end and I don't think there are any plans for more in this series, so you're not sure how some of the subplots are resolved, but that's okay, I can live with that.
Ruth
Sep 27, 2009 Ruth rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this series of 3. They read quickly and you love the redheaded lawyer without a job. She lives in Chicago, but manages to see other places in her quest to find answers. I think it is a fun read.
Kimberly
Oct 13, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it
I didn't realize this was the third book in a mystery series. It was fun with just the right mix of humor, suspense, surprises and mystery for a good read. Can't wait to go back and read #1 and #2.
Cheryl Karkoff
Oct 02, 2009 Cheryl Karkoff rated it liked it
The third book in the series about Izzy Mcneil. This time she gets involved with the Mafia while trying to find out if her father is really dead. Pretty good fast reading.
Brooke
Dec 23, 2010 Brooke rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Cute mystery novel.....wish I had started with the first one even though they are written to be stand-alone books (this is book #3)
Sharon
Nov 13, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it
This is the third and final book in a series. while it had enough going to keep me reading overall I thought all three books were average.
Norma
Jul 07, 2011 Norma rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-2011
Chicago to Rome to Chicago - I didn't want to put the book down. Izzy McNeil certainly knows how to get into and out of trouble.
Michelle
Dec 13, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
This was a fun, fast, action packed read. It has me wanting to read the other Izzy McNeil novels.
Cora
Aug 02, 2009 Cora rated it really liked it
Third book in the Izzy McNeil series, just as good as the first two books in the series.
Janetlee
Jul 16, 2009 Janetlee rated it it was amazing
Best of the trilogy! Can't wait to see what Izzy McNeil does next!
Melissa Wehunt
Red, White & Dead (Izzy Mcneil) by Laura Caldwell (2009)
Corryn
Mar 19, 2016 Corryn rated it really liked it
A fun mystery that keeps you glued to the book!
Sally
Sep 21, 2009 Sally rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction, series
A satisfying conclusion to this trilogy.
Tiina
Vanessa
May 27, 2010 Vanessa rated it really liked it
VERY GOOD
Rachelle
Rachelle rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
  • Let Me In
  • Witness: Defending His Own\Guarding Jeannie
  • Warwick the Kingmaker
  • At Sword's Point (Knights of the Blood, #2)
  • On Maggie's Watch
  • Abandon the Dark (Watcher in the Dark, #3)
  • Stein, Stoned (Harry Stein, #1)
  • Deadly Silence (Jackson Hole, #3)
  • Carthage Ascendant (Book of Ash, #2)
  • Killer Summer
  • Shades of Passion (SIG, #3)
  • The Fury (Henry Parker, #4)
  • Whirlpool
  • The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1)
  • The Second Perimeter (Joe DeMarco, #2)
  • Fire and Ash
  • Mercy (Beartooth, Montana, #5)
  • Upon a Winter's Night (Home Valley, #4)
Laura Caldwell is a Chicago-based lawyer turned novelist. Her first book, Burning the Map, was selected by Barnes & Noble.com as one of The Best of 2002. Following that, A Clean Slate received a starred review from Booklist. The release of The Year of Living Famously and The Night I Got Lucky prompted Booklist to declare, “Caldwell is one of the most talented and inventive...writers around.”

La
More about Laura Caldwell...

Izzy McNeil Mystery (6 books)
  • Red Hot Lies (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #1)
  • Red Blooded Murder (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #2)
  • Claim of Innocence (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #4)
  • Question of Trust (An Izzy McNeil Mystery, #5)
  • False Impressions