Start by marking “The Twilight Zone: The Midnight Sun” as Want to Read:
The Twilight Zone: The Midnight Sun

The Twilight Zone: The Midnight Sun

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  160 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
In a time not unlike our own, two women are among the last people left behind in New York City, struggling to survive as the thermometer reaches an unbearable 140. Almost overnight, modern-day conveniences have become luxuries and humans are pushed to their limits. As the climate grows more hostile, could these be the final days of life on Earth?

One of most ground-breaking
Published May 26th 2009 by Walker & Company (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Twilight Zone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twilight Zone

John Defrog
Jul 05, 2016 John Defrog rated it liked it
I came across this on sale in a children’s book store in my village – it’s one of a series of nine graphic novels from Walker Books adapted from select episodes of The Twilight Zone, authorized by Carol Serling and using the original scripts written by Rod Serling. In this episode, in which the Earth is getting hotter as it slowly orbits into the sun, artist Norma and her landlady Mrs Bronson struggle to survive as society collapses around them. Mark Kneece takes a couple of liberties with the s ...more
Mariah
Apr 28, 2014 Mariah rated it it was amazing
I'm surprised how much I really liked this book. The story is very unique in how it portrays the time old tale of how the world is to end. The way that it is illustrated to show the insanity brought on as the sun shines twenty-four hours a day increasing the global temperatures with each passing day is truly intriguing. Not to mention the incorporation of the original narrator from the show is quite adorable in my book. The plot twist at the end is equally as enjoyable.

The art style in this sto
Ralph McEwen
Dec 18, 2013 Ralph McEwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying that I am not a great fan of graphic novels, but this one has done a bang up job. I read it and thought boy that seemed real close to the Twilight Zone TV series. Then I found and watched the episode on IMBd "www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi4191921945/" and saw that it was really close with a few extras. The graphics are well done and reflect the characters accurately. I will gladly read others as I come across them. ...more
Amber
Aug 26, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it
Oh wow, that was phenomenal. I just found these at the library, apparently people are making eight episodes of the classic Twilight Zone series into graphic novels - and if they're all like this, what an incredible achievement! Great foreword talking about how the TZ was ahead of its time in many ways, and able (like all good SF) to raise issues in a fantastical context that censorship would forbid in a realistic one. This novel takes the Robert Frost poem "some say the world will end in fire, s ...more
Janie
Jun 14, 2012 Janie rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic
I liked it better in black and white.
Joseph R.
Jan 24, 2013 Joseph R. rated it really liked it
The Twilight Zone is a classic science fiction television series from the 1960s. It was produced and hosted by Rod Serling who wrote more than half of the 156 episodes. The stories are so well told that the show is still repeated and readily available today. It was also a training ground for many actors and directors, including Robert Redford, Charles Bronson, Ron Howard, and William Shatner. A series of graphic novels were developed based on script episodes. This particular book comes from the ...more
Jason C.
May 19, 2011 Jason C. rated it really liked it
Twilight Zone the Midnight Sun is a very good comic. Of course it is the twilight zone so it will have lots and lots of suspense. You illusions and a lot of other stuff. These are nice easy to read books that will take you thirty minutes or less to read. I know that there are some of you out there that think comics don’t really tell that good of a story you just get it to look at pretty pictures and I am one of those people but this series was able to tell a really good short suspense story. Mat ...more
Tyler
Mar 09, 2012 Tyler added it
The sun is hot in the Twilight Zone-The Midnight Sun, by Rod Serling. Norma and Mrs. Bronson are the only ones left in their apartment building and have decided to stay together. Everyone else has left the Twilight Zone to find someplace cooler. The water is extremely low and people are now just breaking into stores, taking as much as their arms can carry, and running away. After a man breaks into Norma and Mrs. Bronson’s apartment building and takes their water, Mrs. Bronson begins to go crazy. ...more
Avtar Dhaliwal
This book that I read is probably one of the most exciting and interactive book other than bobobobobob anime. This book is a graphic novel was making me rooting for one person and hating the other. This book is a huge roller coaster. I really liked the part when everything was burning because it was so hot and then everyone died, and then she wakes up and it’s the complete opposite its really cold. Also I really didn’t like one of the characters Mrs. Bronson she was so dumb and made me want to n ...more
Julia
Dec 10, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it
‘The Twilight Zone’ episode was aired in 1961, the graphic novel was published in 2009 This is not a ‘Twilight Zone’ I remember well, I got it because it’s the first ‘Twilight Zone’ I’ve seen adapted into a graphic novel. The television episode stars Lois Nettleton as a New Yorker living through the end of the world. But does the world here die in fire or in ice?

I borrowed this novel from my local public library, but they had borrowed it from interlibrary loan.
Sam Quixote
Sep 19, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
"The Midnight Sun" is a comic book adaptation of the Twilight Zone episode of the same name. In this alternate universe the sun shines continuously and the heat is rising with each passing day. As a result, water is scarce and civilization comes apart as people lose their minds, deprived of sleep and hydration. The story is told with a painter as the main character who observes the destruction from her apartment trying to survive but ready to face the inevitable.

It's a sharply realised story wi
Brian Rheinhardt
Dec 17, 2010 Brian Rheinhardt rated it really liked it
"They" took some of Rod Serling's Twilight Zone stories and converted them into graphic novels. There are about six titles so far. This one is my favorite.

The sun never sets, resulting in a gradual increase in temperature. When the story opens, things are becoming desperate: people are fleeing north for cooler weather, water is becoming more and more scarse, the electricity is beginning to falter, etc. The plot follows two woman who are the only ones left in their apartment building. Everyone ex
Austin Phadoungsyavong
I have no idea and this hot day but no night or cool because someone who can't sleep or can't drink water make they sweat and slow but how many long someone can alive while area hot sun or without dead than food and water?
Gabbi
Dec 18, 2012 Gabbi rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Imagine a world with nearly no water, blazing sunlight even at midnight, and people trying to escape the terror. This is the time of the The Midnight Sun also known as the apocalypse for our world. It starts with two women living together in a small apartment in New York. They are low on water and are wearing the coolest clothes as possible. Norma one of the women paints to cheer herself up. All she can paint is the sun because that is all she sees. Her friend is going crazier by the minute and ...more
Moe
Oct 07, 2011 Moe rated it really liked it
Shelves: duh-6th-grade
Very fascinating about how the earth got too close to the sun. And everyone began to cook eggs on the sidewalk. It was more of a quick read than a chapter book. Could you imagine? Having it so hot that plastic bottles would melt on the sidewalk? This shows that people would want snow if it was really hot out but if it were to snow, they would want heat.
Stephanie
Just Twilight zone being twilight zone. The ending was a complete plot twist.
Taylor
Apr 19, 2012 Taylor rated it it was amazing
As soon as I opened this book and read the little intro that always happens in the beginnig of the Twilight Zone I got Sterling's oice in my head and it was like I was watching the original t.v. series but in color. I loved how he had his own pannels so it kept to the old school structure that you would expect. The twist that comes packaged with the Twilight Zone was like usual a shocker and was just a Holy Crap that was epic moment and if your a fan of theoriginal Twilight Zone you should read ...more
Jess
Jun 23, 2012 Jess rated it really liked it
Just when I was having one of those moments of "Kids today and all the mindless garbage that is given to our children as so called entertainment. What will become of them?" before I lost hope in the younger generation; A ray of light appeared. I talked with a 11 year old girl who was looking for books and mentioned she loved The Twilight Zone. So she was over the moon when I told her we had graphic novels based off the show.

Gripping, Intense, Eerie...and who says the Twilight Zone it old school?
Kelly Waldschmidt
Oct 03, 2014 Kelly Waldschmidt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
I wanted to teach this story in my sf class this semester; even had it on the syllabus, but then could not find the short story in an easily accessible place. So I came across this and ordered it. I am really glad that I did. I thought this was a neat adaptation of the story. I usually have a difficult time with graphic novels, as I find them overwhelming, but this was a great read: suspenseful, but not overdone. I am absolutely putting this version on my winter syllabus.
Kris
Sep 29, 2009 Kris rated it really liked it
Recommended for gr. 6-12. Graphic novel version of an episode of the original Twilight Zone series. A woman suffering from a fever believes that the world is burning up. The author’s note indicated that he attempted to stay close to the original visual impact of the television series. It seems to be well-drawn, and the story has an unexpected and thought-provoking ending. (cue spooky Twilight Zone music) Recommended for MS and HS graphic novel collections.
Jj
Jun 22, 2013 Jj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Twilight Zone has always been a weird tv show then to find the animated comic book, ess like wow!! Lol. I found this book in my local library and at first I ess like man I don't want this to be stupid or weird. But it wasn't either one, it held my attention pretty good. The ending was like aww man really. But Orr all a great book.
Richard
Nov 06, 2009 Richard rated it it was ok
One in a series of comics adaptations of Serling's Twilight Zone scripts. This series seems like a good enough idea, but presumably the goal is to do something to the script with comics that couldn't be done with television. Didn't really happen so much with this one, but I'm sure I'll read more of the series.
Susan Rose
Apr 27, 2012 Susan Rose rated it it was amazing
This is the first of the twilight zone graphic novels I have read and it is fantastic. The story is good, it is illustrated really well and a great bonus is that in the front and the back there is a page of information firstly about the twilight zone original tv series and about how they adapted it.
Amina
Apr 05, 2011 Amina rated it liked it
The first graphic novel I've read... I like it! I'm gonna get some more. The story is.... realistic, if anything. I love the illustrations. The part where the man thinks glass is ice is dreadful. And the ending is just so extreme! I love it!!!
Sara
Apr 13, 2012 Sara rated it it was ok
It's not a bad story, but it's so short that you don't have time to get into it. Also, the the dialog is a little choppy and sometimes the pictures are confusing and you can't tell exactly what is happening. Overall I was not impressed.
Jason
Jan 15, 2010 Jason rated it it was amazing
This adaptation really seemed to capture the essence of a TZ episode. I really enjoyed the story & artwork. And, of course, the plot twist at the end allowed for an entertaining & creative resolution...or a pleasant lack thereof.
Lucy (Talk Less, Smile More)
This was just an okay story. I thought the illustrations were beautiful, but I wasn't impressed with the overall plot. Hopefully I'll like the other books in the series a lot better than this one.
Keith
Feb 11, 2012 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting adaptation of a Twilight Zone story. The artist plays fast and loose with the perspective and characters but it doesn't really hurt the comic as a whole.
Ms. Patterson
Aug 12, 2014 Ms. Patterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another one of the TWILIGHT ZONE episodes retold in a graphic format. Not my favorite of the three I've read, but still worth the read. B- rating.
Marts  (Thinker)
May 18, 2011 Marts (Thinker) rated it it was amazing
An adaptation of Rod Serling's Twilight Zone episode 'Midnight Sun' first aired November 0f 1961...
  • New Stories From the Twilight Zone