Start by marking “The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories and Legends” as Want to Read:
The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories and Legends

The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories and Legends

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Veteran ghost hunter Michael Norman uncovers almost three dozen stories of Minnesota eeriness–just in time for Halloween.
Published September 1st 2009 by Minnesota Historical Society Press

To ask other readers questions about The Nearly Departed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nearly Departed

Erik
I love a good ghost story, and this book is filled with them. A few of the stories are a little weak, but most of them are spooky and entertaining. Living in Minnesota I now want to visit some of the haunted places that are open to the public. Anybody who lives in MN and likes stories of the paranormal will enjoy this book.
Kasey
The only reason I am giving this three stars is because of the Minnesota history told in the book. The ghost stories were true so they were rather boring but what can you do? Overall it's just a book that I would recommend reading if you are bored. I don't recommend reading it all unless you really want TO.
Karen
Fun ghost stories set in Minnesota. Sometimes the stories seemed a bit flat, as the author was trying to be accurate and authentic. I tend to like some exaggeration in a ghost story from time to time.
Leah
Spooktacular!

Well, not really. It was a fun, silly read. Everyone likes a ghost story, so it's extra fun when it's set in your hometown.
Strawfoot
Really 2 1/2 stars for gathering ghostly tales of Minnesota. I liked the history of buildings etc but it got a little dull.
Nancy
It's okay. Seems overly long-winded and ponderous for a book that could be scarier.
Valerie
This was terrible. I couldn't even finish it.
Amanda Jackson
Amanda Jackson marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Rain
Rain marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Kristal
Kristal marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Mewmew
Mewmew added it
Mar 12, 2015
Kristen LOF
Kristen LOF marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Megan Canny
Megan Canny is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2015
Tammy Hill
Tammy Hill marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Katie Fox
Katie Fox marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Liz
Liz added it
Nov 28, 2014
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Heather Loucks
Heather Loucks marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Jamie
Jamie added it
Nov 13, 2013
Emily Walz
Emily Walz marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Adriana
Adriana marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Michael Norman is a writer who makes his home in Western Wisconsin.

He is the author most recently of "The Nearly Departed: Minnesota Ghost Stories and Legends," published in 2009 by the Minnesota Historical Society Press.

He is the co-author with the late Beth Scott of the popular Haunted America series of ghost stories, and the co-author with writer Carol Roecklein of two vocabulary books written
More about Michael Norman...
Historic Haunted America Haunted America Haunted Heritage: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories Haunted Wisconsin Haunted Homeland: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories