Wish on a Unicorn

Wish on a Unicorn

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Now I didn’t believe a broken-down old unicorn could make wishes come true . . . not for a minute. But what if it could?

Mags has a lot to wish for—a nice house with a mama who isn’t tired out from work; a normal little sister; a brother who doesn’t mooch for food; and, once in a while, she’d like some new clothes for school. When her sister Hannie finds a stuffed unicorn,...more
Published March 17th 2009 by Square Fish (first published April 1st 1991)

لیلی
Oct 19, 2013 لیلی rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to لیلی by: Rana Heshmati
یعنی اینو که می خونی دلت می خواد یه آدم معلول داشته باشی نزدیکت قشنگ. یعنی اصن عشق است این هنی. ولی به همه ی آدمایی که این فکرو می کنن می گم که زود قضاوت نکنن و اول "تابستان قو ها" را نیز بخونن. نظرشون عوض می شه کلا! البته من 6-7 سال پیش خوندمش، ولی یادمه که بعدش اصن نظر مثبتی نسبت به برادرِ معلول داشتن نداشتم!
ولی واقعا واقعا خوب بود این کتاب و خوشحال کننده؛ و حال خوب کننده و کوتاه در عین حال.
مرسی از رعنا در ضمن:)
Armina
Nov 07, 2013 Armina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Armina by: Rana Heshmati
هَنیِ عزیز... :)
خیلی کتاب کوچولو، دوست داشتنی و خوبی بود! :> خیلی اون تیکه هایی رو دوست داشتم که می گفت:«از وجود تک شاخِ تمیز و سفید در نزدیکی خانه مان، احساسِ خوب و خوشایندی داشتم...» احساسش خیلی خوب و گرم بود و حس می شد از ورای کتاب...یادِ همچون ستارگان میفتادم! :>
Bao
I have finished reading the Wish on a Unicorn by Karen Hesse, and it’s a non-fiction book. The book’s theme is to love what you have in hand right now and don’t wish more than what you have and its will turn out very bad.
Wish on a Unicorn is about a family in Newell’s field. The main character name is Maggie. She lived with her mom, step sister, step brother, and step dad. Her step sister names Hannie and her step brother names Mooch. At the way when Hannie and Maggie going home from school an...more
Saundra
Books Kids Like
Mag lives with her mother, brother and sister in an old trailer near the highway where her father was killed. At twelve years-of-age, she shoulders the responsibility of caring for Moochie and Hannie each night while their mother goes to work. They live a scant existence so when Hannie finds a beat-up old stuffed unicorn and declares that it’s magical, Mag wants to believe that it can bring them more food or better clothes. Mag knows it can’t, but as she wrestles with life’s daily struggles, she...more
Gale
"Finding the Source of Real Magic"

Teenage Mags has a tough life; considered Trailer Trash by their country neighbors, she is embarrassed by not having a father, having to wear hand-me-downs, a sister who is developmentally slow and a kid brother who is branded a local thief. Working two jobs Mama doesn’t have time to be there for her kids or be sympathetic to a teen’s social problems.

One day after school the sisters discover a dirty, stuffed unicorn leaning against a fence post in a field. Im...more
Linda Lipko
Written with clear insights into the world of poverty and its impact, Hesse once again wrote a stellar tale of a young woman who is weary of clothes that don't fit, a fatherless household, a mother who works menial jobs that don't net enough for food, housing, clothes and simple necessary items, a brother who reminds her how hungry they are and a sister who is developmentally challenged.

Hesse accurately portrays the feelings and thoughts of Mags who simply wants to fit in with her sixth grade cl...more
Mrs Bond
Mags desperately wants to fit in with the other children in her school. The only thing that stands in here way is family: a father who died when she was 2, a mother who works the night shift, a younger brother (Mooch) who has has a history of stealing, and a mentally challenged sister (Hannie) who clings to Mags. It doesn't help that the boy down the street despises the family and takes great joy in pointing out all of their flaws. When Hannie comes across a 'magic' unicorn and insists on keepin...more
Susan P
This is short but sweet. It reminded me a lot of The Hundred Dresses. 6th grader Mags and her two younger siblings live with their single mom in a trailed across the freeway from their school. Money is tight, and mama works nights at the mill, leaving Mags to supervise her brother and sister. One day on the way home from school her sister Hannie finds a stuffed unicorn in a field. Hannie insists on taking it home, and she also insists that the unicorn is magic. Mags makes a wish upon Hannie's re...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I had a group of students who recommended this to me and I read it while waiting for an appointment. I like Karen Hesse's work but I did not feel like this was one of her stronger pieces. I did like the way she dealt with the sibling/family issues for the most part. However, the book seems too short to really develop anything. It seemed over before it really started. I wonder if it was intentional (making it so short)?!
Aimee Brown
:) I really enjoyed this book. I keep trying to get the school library to buy it for the students but I guess they think that it might be for people a bit younger.
Whatever - I loved it.
Chante'
I LOVE this book. I cried at the end but i was in 4th grade. But i know this is the book that actually made me like start to read
Lindsay Collett
3.5 stars. Great story, but the use of regional dialect bothers me, especially since it's mostly used by the poorer characters.
Gina
Really easy read. Good book for younger readers 4th grade and up that are getting started with more realistic fiction.
Kesha
Beautiful, quick read that explores classism, family, and special needs.
Melody McMahon
Definitely not my favorite karen hesse book.
Jill
Jill added it
Apr 13, 2014
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Lucia
Lucia marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Harun
Harun marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
Aenna
Aenna marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Desiree Frias
Desiree Frias marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2013
Zahra Rashidian
Zahra Rashidian marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Karen Hesse is an American author of children's literature and literature for young adults, often with historical settings. Her novel Out of the Dust was the winner of the 1998 Newbery Medal and the Scott O'Dell Award for Historical Fiction. In 2002, Hesse was a recipient of the MacArthur Fellowship.

For more information, please see http://us.macmillan.com/author/karenh...
More about Karen Hesse...
Out of the Dust Letters from Rifka The Music of Dolphins Witness A Light in the Storm: The Civil War Diary of Amelia Martin, Fenwick Island, Delaware, 1861 (Dear America)