Start by marking “Teach Yourself Urdu Complete Course Package (Book + 2CDs) (Teach Yourself Language Complete Courses)” as Want to Read:

Bestselling language courses now with audio CDs!

From Danish to Spanish, Swahili to Brazilian Portuguese, the languages of the world are brought within the reach of any beginning student. Learners can use the Teach Yourself Language Courses at their own pace or as a supplement to formal courses. These complete courses are based on the very latest learning methods and des

Published March 27th 2003 by McGraw-Hill (first published 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about Teach Yourself Urdu Complete Course Package (Book + 2CDs)

Meera
In my quest to learn Hindi and Urdu to fluency, I have used many different textbooks. But both the Teach Yourself Hindi and the Teach Yourself Urdu are two of the best I have used for these languages. This book is an outstanding introduction to the Urdu language. Before starting I would recommend "Teach Yourself Urdu Script" before starring this, although this also teaches the script, the script book is a lot clearer and teaches actually how to write the script. This textbook has a dialogue in ...more
Joe
Mar 28, 2008 Joe rated it liked it
Highly recommended to anyone with no hobbies, no family, and a curious desire to learn a South Asian language.
Peggy
Jan 12, 2014 Peggy rated it it was amazing
If you are a beginner learning Urdu, this is the book to get. Though I am lucky that I have an Urdu-speaking husband and spend time in Pakistan and with Pakistani relatives, this book will give you 'the ground-work', the vocabulary, the grammar.

The book comes with a CD which I did not get as my husband is able to assist with pronunciation, so I have to exclude this in my review, but would obviously say - get the CD if you don't have CONSTANT access pronunciation / speaking help.

The book starts b
Agustinus Wibowo
Feb 02, 2010 Agustinus Wibowo rated it it was amazing
good book to grab urdu. i learned from this book for only 2 weeks before practicing in nepal, india, and pakistan. i was overwhelmed how i could survive with just basic knowledge from this book, then eventually i learned deeper from the conversation with the locals. i just wished there would be more complicated grammar explanation, as after finishing the last chapter i still couldnt make myself understood when making complicated sentences.
Cody
May 27, 2010 Cody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: south-asia, languages
The best godamn reference book on urdu I have found yet. Explains the important aspects of urdu grammar in easy to understand, well laid out format with supplemental "conversations" between fictitious characters to see the grammar in usage. HIGHLY recommended for someone starting out with basic grammar and can already read the nasta'liq script (otherwise, you'll flounder). I still use this book to refer back to for clarification!
Jamie
Apr 27, 2013 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: study
Good intro but lacking in a methodical introduction to grammar. I think it will continue to be a good reference to look back to as I learn.
Agata
Agata rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Nick M
Nick M rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Nouman
Nouman rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Ero Sennin
Ero Sennin rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2014
Lily
Lily rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2013
Jason S. Parker
Jason S. Parker rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2015
Lamellong
Lamellong rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2009
Nora
Nora rated it liked it
May 16, 2016
Joerg
Joerg rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2008
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2013
Nick Conlan
Nick Conlan rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2015
Mehrunissa Owens
Mehrunissa Owens rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Dïa TheQueen
Dïa TheQueen rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Eva Ali
Eva Ali rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Elise
Elise rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2008
Gan Sharma
Gan Sharma rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
Willem Van
Willem Van rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Sakib Moghal
Sakib Moghal rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Gan Sharma
Gan Sharma rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
Azraa
Azraa rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2009
Ryan Moniz
Ryan Moniz rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Arshad Hameed
Arshad Hameed rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2013