Start by marking “Malice (Malice, #1)” as Want to Read:
Malice (Malice, #1)

Malice (Malice #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  2,304 ratings  ·  395 reviews
Once you get into the story, there's no way out.

Everyone's heard the rumors. If you gather the right things and say the right words, you'll be taken to Malice, a world that exists inside a horrifying comic book. It's a world that few kids know about...and even fewer survive.

Seth and Kady think it's all a silly myth. But then their friend disappears, and suddenly the rumor
Published October 1st 2009 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Malice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Malice

Kelli Lee
Did you think Jumanji was the bomb? Did you think Never Ending Story was practically perfect in every way? Yeah, me too. Well, Malice is a hybrid of the two.

I will not recap the description, you’re welcome. But know this. Malice’s opening is beyond brilliant. It’s enchanting, arresting, pure funivity at its finest. Malice is completely immersive. As close as you can get to a movie experience, IMO. A total page-turner. Unputdownable. Did I mention that I really liked this tome? Sometimes I’m not
Maud
I think I liked the synopsis more than the book. The synopsis sounds very exciting, it sounds like Malice is going to be an exciting and slightly creepy book. But in my opinion, Malice itself is actually a bit of a slow read. It's not as exciting and creepy as I hoped and thought it would be. The idea is pretty cool and it could have been a very cool read but in the end I feel like it's just an okay book.
Watch my full review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btgFL...
Mitchel Broussard
I never thought a book aimed at such a young audience could be as dark, smart and exciting as Malice. Combining elements of both the comic and novel mediums, Malice thrusts us into the sinister world of the evil comic; a place where nothing is as it seems.

The book opens with a very Jumanji-like scene where a guy tries to impress a girl he has a crush on with a neat, but somehow creepy object he's found. Here it's Malice, a creepy comic that details the trials of children being chased, maimed and
Erin
Oct 12, 2009 Erin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
I cannot tell you how fantastic this teen read is. I LOVED it - was totally creeped out, couldn't put it down, can't wait to tell all my students to read it. I can barely wait for the sequel.

Part graphic novel - part all out teen terror, this book has something for everyone. My favorite part is knowing that there are whole sections of Malice we have yet to explore! Havoc is coming, and I wish I were a part of it!
Cait Grace
This was so so different. It's mostly a normal novel, but then it'll suddenly split into 3 or 4 pages of graphic novel illustrations. I LOVE THAT MIX. Especially when the action scenes were graphic-novel...because, eh, I don't know why, but pictures make more sense than words sometimes. So I enjoyed this a lot.

The story is really unique and different...probably not "my" kind of story, but I enjoyed it! It had an MG sort of feel to the writing style, but I think it's YA. (I'm actually not sure ho
I_heart_snape
I'll admit the cover is what drew me to the book but I bought and read it because I had absolutely loved Poison, one of the author's other novels.

I'll have to say Malice did not disappoint. It was engaging, interesting, and it even took me by surprise once or twice. My only beef with it is that for me it's slightly difficult to tell exactly what's going on in the comic only scenes. But that could be just a me thing. Other than that, I had no complaints. It was a great read through and through a
Grace
Christy Stewart
This book was really adorable and I love the format of the half novel half comic style. It isn't particularly stimulating to me as an adult, but if I was a kid I would love it.
Elii Vela
Cuando el río suena...
Como nadie experimenta en cabeza ajena, Luke decide probar suerte con el misterioso cómic en cuyas páginas aparecen niños... Chicos que también, por alguna extraña razón, son reportados como desaparecidos. Y él no piensa quedarse con las ganas así que invoca a Jack el largo y días después desaparece.

Los verdaderos amigos...
Seth supo que Luke estaba actuando raro, pero el día que habían quedado de verse para discutir su extraño comportamiento, que tenía relación con Malice,
Alison
So scary and so much fun!

Remember when we would dare each other at sleep-overs to look into a mirror in the dark and say "Bloody Mary" three times? Well, such is the urban legend of Tall Jake in Malice.

Imaginative, suspenseful, original, exciting, and, yes, a wee bit scary!

I really enjoyed Chris Wooding's Malice, a story about an underground comic book named Malice and an urban legend called Tall Jake. All the kids have heard about Malice and Tall Jake, but few took the journey to the comic book
Krista Stevens
Loved this series. Very dark and scary (ok - for me who does not like any horror, but also thought it would be better for Grade 8 and above. I was surprised to see in a review a Grade 5 student reading this, but I could be over-reacting). An alternate world exists in the dark comic of Malice and kids keep disappearing into it. It's up to Seth and Kady to try and do something about it, but this journey may be more than they can handle. Great, tight writing and characterization (though the bad are ...more
Myckyee
First of all I have to say that the cover of this book is startlingly creepy. It’s bold red with the title and an antagonist in eye-catching relief. I love it! I’ve traced the lines of that character (Tall Jake) a hundred times while reading it!

The description on the back cover pretty well sums up the plot of this YA horror novel. It says: “Once you get into the story, there’s no way out.” Well, the truth couldn’t be any plainer. Malice is the name of a comic book but it’s also the name of the p
Cathe Olson
It took me almost a week to finish this book--but that's only because my 5th grade daughter kept sneaking it away from me and when we took a car trip with friends, the 5th grade son of my friend kept sneaking it away from her. Of course the flashy 3-D cover caught their eyes right away but it was the inside that hooked them. This book starts right out so creepy and mysterious that it pulls you right in. The mystery of the comic book featuring kids from missing children flyers and the chant to ha ...more
Ch_jank-caporale
Have you seen the film "The Ring?" Do you remember summoning "Bloody Mary" at sleep-overs? Well this hybrid horror genre graphic novel is about a mysterious underground comic book that is obtained by curious and adventurous teens who disappear after reading it. When one of the boys disappears, his friends find him in the pages of the next comic. Hoping to help him come back, they search for him by invoking the magic chant. There are dangers lurking on either side of the world- on the comic pages ...more
Jada
Malice is basically a bout a horror comic that is entirely real. Do the ritual, say the chant and you'll find yourself inside it.
We're your only goal is to survive and escape.

I don't know how he did it but Chris Wooding managed to write my favourite book of all time. It was uncharacteristically dark for s middle grade novel and i loved it. I loved the whole world he created that I could get lost in forever. He had me hooked from the first chapter. Especially with all the little graphic element
Stephanie
Wow. A very creative premise--and well executed, too! Minus one star for the graphic panels of the story. They were hard to see and therefore confusing, and a bit ridiculous sometimes with the ugly creatures, in my opinion (I'm thinking particularly of the last creature in the shrine).

However, aside from this, Wooding has created a unique story that is just frightening enough to scare you, but not scary enough to put me off (I have a low tolerance for horror).

The book is also notable for its de
Micah
THIS IS THE BEST BOOK EVER. malice is about a legendary comic that says if you burn cat hair your hair a tear drop a black feather and a twig and chant TALL JAKE COME AND GET ME 6 times Tall Jake the guy on the cover he will take you to malice but only when your alone. this book gave me a nightmare that i was in malice and fell in to one of tall Jakes traps.I would recommend this book to anyone that likes horror.this book has a equal called havoc i look forward to reading this book. this book is ...more
Jennifer Boyce
This was a surprisingly intense and enjoyable book. This is definitely a well done book- with a combination of comics and story that play off each other nicely. I will say that this is my favorite age range of books and this one was one of the better middle grade stories that I've read- I will actively seek out the next in the series.
Drake
A well written book with great events. Great concept of part novel part comic book. This book will keep you turning the pages and you won't want to put this book down. Overall this book is a great story for people who like new books. The only problem that some of the comic book section is not clear on what is exactly happening but you get the main idea. With that minor problem the book will be a great read for young adults.

Once Luke disappears and everyone expects he ran away from home Seth know
Amey Gupta
This review is a spoiler

When I read the ending I was so surprised when he remembered what Kady had said while hypnotising him.i just lay there on my bed taking it all in.i can't wait to read havoc.the second and final book in this series.i just don't know when Kady was taking that thing which shard was inside why Anderson said not to.
Myriah Perth
>*Finished
i loved this book, but i wouldnt say that this is my top 10 books. i felt ( at times ) the author put to much detail into the much into the book about one topic which made it a lil boring. though dont get me wrong i love details.
Nicole
Nov 21, 2010 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Last Apprentice and Neil Gaiman fans
Super suspenseful. Kind of _Last Apprentice_ meets _Coraline_. Uncanny at it's best. Loads of boy appeal.

Very dark, full of actual kids dying in a sort of parallel world...and yet, there is a decided lack of blood and guts. They are alive and then they are not without graphic detail. It's a sanitized death that somehow makes it all the scarier. The language is rather young (ie- not too many touch vocabulary words) but the subject matter is older.

My only complaint is the art. Sometimes it was har
Raymond
Overall i greatly enjoyed the book, it was interesting and entertaining and had a lot of action. The book is about a comic book that comes to life once the character Luke is sucked into it, his friends soon join him and they go on an insane adventure through the comic book. "The books were legends and tales, stories from all over the Realm" that shows that they went on a wild adventure, the book had a lot of action and was easily enjoyable.
Marsha
In the age-old tradition of children running away from home to seek excitement, danger or adventure comes Malice. The titular comic is whispered about in the comic geek world and children only learn about it through rumor, whispers and online gossip. Some go on a dare. Others, out of curiosity. And some, like Seth, go out of boredom.

While the initial terror of the world of Malice is exciting enough, what happens outside of its comic book frames is just as compelling. The figures twining through
Aurora Dimitre
This is a re-read - as implied by the 'childhood revisited' shelf, this is a book that I checked out over and over and over from the children's library.

I'm not going to say much, I don't think, for a few reasons. First of all, this is a childhood book that I re-read about once a year, because I just love it so much. I love how it's done, I love the characters, I love the comic portions, I love the writing, I love everything. I also love how, on the hardcover, Tall Jake on the front is like, po
Sindre Ellingsen
"Malice" is the sort of book that leaves you on a cliff, where you only have one foot on the cliff and the other outside it!

I've had Malice on my shelf for 3 years now, and I finally picked it up for BookTube A Thon! I'm so happy I did because this book was so so good! I feel so sad that none of my BookTube friends on GoodReads have read it! They definitely should!

I started this book, and it gave me a sense of some sort of Middle grade story. It took about a hundred pages to get me really hooked
Tasha Robinson
Interesting concept—a kids' horror adventure about an evil comic book that draws kids in, traps them, and often kills them—and the book itself is part novel, part comic, with much of the buildup written out in prose, and the action scenes more often illustrated via comics panels. The problem is that both halves feel a little amateurish—the comics are sketchy, and it can be hard to tell what's going on, or to tell the generic-looking characters apart, while the prose is pretty basic. The villains ...more
Noelle
Malice by Chris Wooding is a fantasy novel with a horror element that combines writing and pictures into one. The novel starts out with two friends named Luke and Meghan. Luke was always the tough guy at school, and Meghan was always the shy one, but somehow the two were the best of friends. Luke and Meghan have both heard the rumors about Malice; if you gather the correct materials and do a special ritual, you’ll get taken away to a land called Malice that exists inside a comic book. The story ...more
Delaney Andrews
I gave Malice three stars instead or four only because it is obviously geared toward teenagers, so sometimes the very basic verbiage turned me off. However, my thirteen-year-old brother really took to jargon. The characters can be exhausting, but only because they are very accurately written teenagers who think their lives are just too mundane and that most adults are pseudo-zombies controlled by their need for paychecks.

What I love most about Malice is how frequently is gave me chills. There w
Troi
I was at the library with my mom and was waiting to leave with her when I happened to look down and noticed a rather thick, hardback book with quite a few black pages in between the many white pages. Without even really thinking about it, I pulled it off the shelf. The cover instantly intrigued me. Not because it looks like the Grim Reaper is inviting you inside or something, but because the title and the creepy looking guy are raised. I've never seen a book quite like that before.

Then, when I b
Superheroes and C...: Malice by Chris Wooding 2 10 Jul 01, 2014 10:56AM
Does Seth ever know that Kady has been to Malice before? 3 12 Jan 10, 2012 05:39PM
  • Hoodoo Money, First Edition
  • Curse (Wicked, #2)
  • As You Wish (Time of Transition, #2)
  • Azufre y Sal
  • Stealing Kevin's Heart
  • The Black Diamond (Black Diamond, #2)
  • Settling (Solid, #2)
  • Reign of the Dead
  • El complot mongol
  • Hungry For You
  • Shadow Touch (Shadow Touch, #1)
  • Diario de una volátil
  • Maybe: A Little Zen for Little Ones
  • Streamline
  • Total Abandon
  • Instructing Adam
  • Quiéreme cinco minutos
  • The Mercenary's Marriage
Chris Wooding grew up in a small town in Leicestershire, where not much of anything happened. So he started to write novels. He was sixteen when he completed his first. He had an agent by eighteen. By nineteen he had signed his first book deal. When he left university he began to write full-time, and he has been doing it professionally all his adult life.

Now thirty-two, Chris has written sixteen b
More about Chris Wooding...

Malice (2 books)
  • Havoc (Malice, #2)
Retribution Falls (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #1) Poison The Black Lung Captain (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #2) The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray Storm Thief