Start by marking “Learn to Program (The Facets of Ruby Series)” as Want to Read:
Learn to Program (The Facets of Ruby Series)

Learn to Program (The Facets of Ruby Series)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  348 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
For this new edition of the best-selling Learn to Program, Chris Pine has taken a good thing and made it even better. First, he used the feedback from hundreds of reader e-mails to update the content and make it even clearer. Second, he updated the examples in the book to use the latest stable version of Ruby, and also to use code that looks more like real-world Ruby code, ...more
Paperback, Second Edition , 192 pages
Published April 4th 2009 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published January 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Learn to Program, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learn to Program

Katy
May 22, 2007 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: smart kids, programmer's wives, CS students
I *ahem* know the person who wrote this, so... just so you know. But I think it's a great book, and I know how much time, thought, and effort he put into it. I served as a guinea pig of sorts through all the drafts and earlier versions. I was a non-programmer to begin with, and Chris actually tried to teach me to program a couple of other times before he started writing the book. The book worked! I don't program by myself these days, but I got enough understanding from the book to be able to lis ...more
K. M.
Jul 10, 2009 K. M. rated it did not like it
Rather lazily written intro to programming through ruby. Bizarre examples and sample code that one gets bored of sorting through.

Beginners won't find it very difficult, but there isn't enough time spent on flow control or classes or basic OOP concepts for it to be that useful.
Eden
Sep 24, 2012 Eden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I wish I had read this earlier in my career. Absolutely recommended for anyone getting started with programming or anyone who thinks maybe they could be - you won't be intimidated by this book. It truly is for beginners and it lays an excellent foundation to build on.
Mary Dickson
Nov 05, 2015 Mary Dickson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I wrote a Chris Pine Appreciation Post here: http://marydickson.com/chris-pine-app.... This is a great teaching companion. For one, the book has great examples and challenge problems — they’re fun, whimsical, not too easy or difficult, and reinforce key ideas from the chapters. What’s more, they’re the type of programing challenges that a more advanced student could take and build on (make it better, make it live on the web, etc). I also especially admire the way he introduces an ...more
Rosa
Mar 31, 2013 Rosa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Verme ahora leyendo este libro explicara lo mal que me va con mi proyecto fin de carrera, claro. Si tras 4 aos en Ingeniera Informtica an necesito leer eso, tengo definitivamente serios problemas.

Todo parti de un pedido que iba a hacer a Amazon.com. Estaba echando un vistazo al catlogo de The Pragmatic Bookshelf, que son unos libros muy chulos de programacin, y me detuve en ste (en gran parte porque sala fruta en la portada). Le la descripcin y me llam la atencin la parte en la que hablaba del

Melody
Jan 20, 2015 Melody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for any newbie Rubyist! No previous experience required. The best part in my opinion is the answer key that provides two versions of scripts! One that the reader could write with the knowledge they've read from the book thus far and another version which the author as an experienced programmer would write. The author's version motivates me by reminding me how much more is there to learn ahead of me.
Krista
A very non-programmer friendly introduction to the Ruby programming language, as well as some common programming concepts. However, you'd certainly need to read through other material because this is just the tip of the Ruby iceberg.
Mike Riess
Jun 18, 2012 Mike Riess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best tutorial- print or electronic- I've found for beginning coders. Clear explanations for those without a tech background and practical application of ideas with exercises that include 'how you could do it' and 'how I [the author] would do it' that demonstrate better/best practices. The book is humorous, entertaining, and engaging such that it never overwhelmed me as a student. Not only does the book cover the basic science of code, it also gives the reader a sense of how code can be beaut ...more
David Rojo
Oct 01, 2014 David Rojo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tecnicos
Después de leer el tutorial gratuito en línea (del cual realicé una traducción disponible en http://goo.gl/3UcZi), quede realmente complacido por el acertado manejo de la complejidad que se da al tratar los conceptos de cda capítulo. Encontré en el libro varios ejercicios y temas que complementan el tutorial en temas de manejo de archivos. Aunque algunos de los últimos problemas sugeridos son bastante desafiantes y probablemente no son aptos para personas que tengan con éste libro su primer cont ...more
Matias Fernandez
The exercises in this book are very well balanced and entertaining. I would recommend this book to anyone getting started in the world of Ruby.
Miloš Sutanovac
Nov 09, 2014 Miloš Sutanovac rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite books to recommend to any student or person who is getting started with programming.
Peter Tucker
Jan 21, 2015 Peter Tucker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learn to Program is a great book. A solid foundation in Ruby. Thanks Chris!
Austin Archibald
Short and simple for most of it, but was pretty lost by the end.
Oxana Udodova
Jul 07, 2015 Oxana Udodova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Прочла за пару дней, проста для восприятия.
Joshua
Jun 22, 2014 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
best into to Ruby for the non programmer
John
Aug 23, 2015 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book I read on programming.
Hanan A.S.
Oct 16, 2014 Hanan A.S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
such a great book for beginners!
Arturo
Jan 17, 2016 Arturo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and enjoyable.
Ahmad  Aljazzar
Dec 21, 2015 Ahmad Aljazzar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
من النادر أن تقرأ كتاب برمجة موجه للمبتدئين بهذا المتسوى، أغلب الكتب الأخرى تعتمد أسلوب التبسيط في طرح الأمثلة على عكس الأمثلة والتمارين التي يطرحها هذا الكتاب والتي تعتمد على “ تشغيل الدماغ “ لفهم الفكرة.

الكتاب جميل ومليء بالتحديات.
Jesús Abarca
Jan 17, 2015 Jesús Abarca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for introduction to programming in general and a plus for its applications to Ruby.
Rich Fuller
Jan 23, 2013 Rich Fuller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great intro book to programming in general with a Ruby focus. I loved the author's tone and writing style. Chapter 9/10 seemed to take a pretty big jump and I found myself struggling to understand the concepts though. Overall great intro book, gets you writing some code and feeling the sense of excitement at making some things happen with programming.
Devon
Jul 23, 2014 Devon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
I can't say enough good things about this book, about the way it teaches programming, the examples it gives, the approach it takes.

It made programming about solving puzzles, word problems and challenges- not about crunching numbers. I wish there were more in this series, as I have yet to find more advanced books that follow the same approach.
Art
Jan 09, 2016 Art rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ruby-ror
It's an ideal book to start with, especially when we are talking about Ruby. However, this book is an introduction-type, so be ready to read a couple of others for getting the ground.
I found it a bit too easy for me, but it is so well written that I just couldn't put it aside.
Andreas Ernst
Jul 08, 2014 Andreas Ernst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great quick intro to Rails. The book focusses on the ruby fundamentals and does a great job with that!
Colin Dabritz
Oct 15, 2013 Colin Dabritz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
An excellent introduction to programming, through Ruby. It's concise, so you have to unpack concepts, but he does a great job of introducing things and covering related ground, while sticking to a single topic at a time.
Kerri
Nov 24, 2013 Kerri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It never occurred to me that a book on programming for beginners could be as approachable and engaging as this one is. Its one of the first two textbooks we use at Ada Developers Academy. Highly recommended.
Peter Baker
Oct 27, 2008 Peter Baker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comp-sci
Used this book to help a friend learn to code. Reminds me of the Learning Perl series. Good examples of Ruby. Good explanations of basic constructs. Not the greatest to teach some of the core CS theories.
Enrique Sánchez
Nice and fun introduction to the basics of programming and Ruby. That being said, you're gonna need more than this book to start writing real programs.
Chris
Dec 10, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Clear, funny, effective, and it progresses at just the right pace to challenge the reader, without plunging you into despair.
Sepideh
May 12, 2015 Sepideh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to, programming
This was a good introduction to the Ruby programming language. The examples in this book are funny and keep the reader engaged.
  • Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • Rails Recipes
  • Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional
  • Mastering Regular Expressions

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »