Start by marking “Flowers for Elvis” as Want to Read:
Flowers for Elvis

Flowers for Elvis

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Flowers For Elvis is quirky Southern fiction with a literary edge, surprising humor and an uplifting spirit. In 1956, Olivia and her twin sister are born to a nun an old auto parts store turned convent in rural Mississippi. Little Olivia doesn't survive the day, but her spunky spirit hangs around and takes on the role of ethereal watchdog over her twin. When the Reverend M...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Bell Bridge Books

To ask other readers questions about Flowers for Elvis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flowers for Elvis

Mermaids in the Basement by Michael Lee WestFeeling Sorry for Celia by Jaclyn MoriartyMoonlight on Linoleum by Terry HelwigSweet Talk Me by Kieran KramerHalf Moon Hill by Toni Blake
Swings
22nd out of 60 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

SenoraG
This was not one of my favorite books or one of the best that I've read but it held my attention. I liked the concept, twins born, one doesnt make it and becomes the self appointed guardian angel for her sister.

The secrets, the hiding, the fakeness of the characters was really hard for me to read and relate to. I understand all families have their secrets but there was just something about this story that I can't really put my finger on that didn't sit well with me.

It's quirky, funny and heartw...more
Denise
This is definitely a very quirky southern story. It takes place in the 60's and early 70's in Memphis and Iuka, Mississippi. A set of fraternal girl twins are born to a novice nun in a remote cloistered convent located in an old Auto Parts store. One twin dies and the other survives, the babies' complexions are very different, one appears to be white and one appears to be black. At this point, I was already a bit disenchanted....

The story is then narrated by the spirit of the dead twin, Olivia....more
Julie
This was a 3 1/2 star read for me. I really enjoy Southern fiction, and this was quite Southern. The perspective from which the story was told was unique and interesting. At times it was heart-warming and at other times it was heart-wrenching. I grew quite attached to the characters. The mystery kept me guessing until the very last page, and I loved the twist at the end. I would recommend this story for anyone that loves a good, Southern story.
Sidna
I bought this book at a luncheon where the author was present and signed the book for me. I almost didn't buy it because I thought the title was too hokey.

The title is misleading. That is not what the book is about. One of the lesser main characters owns a flower shop and has flowers delivered to Elvis every day because she is a big fan, but that is minor part of the story. She has twin daughters (what is it with books about twins,lately?) and the book is about their lives as they grow up.

The bo...more
Sue
This book almost received 4 stars with the caveat that it's really a 3.5, but... one of my oddball criteria for four stars is whether I would tell one of my daughters that I think they'd enjoy it. (For five stars, I have to insist my daughters would read a book.) So this one, no - I can hear my oldest daughter's voice now (if she were to read this book) saying, "What's the point, mom?"

I think "Flowers for Elvis" is supposed to fall into the category of "magical realism," told in the voice of th...more
Aerin
FIRST LINE: "Elvis Aaron Presley was born to Vernon and Gladys Presley on January 8, 1935 in a two-room house in Tupelo, Mississippi."

"I came into this world and left it on the same day."

Set against the backdrop of the 1960s South, Flowers for Elvis tells the story of fraternal twin girls. One of the babies, Olivia, dies immediately after being born. Meanwhile, her sister continues to be raised as the twin sister of her cousin, born three days later. Olivia's spirit, however, lingers, observing...more
Diane
A strange story with a lot of strange twists and turns. Twins are born in a convent, one lives the other doesn't. The one is raised with her cousin as her cousins twin while the spirit of the dead twin hangs around to watch over the girls. The title is totally misleading, and Elvis is a minor part of the story. All through the story family secrets are revealed and in the end it is finally revealed which of the girls is the deceased twins sister. The whole story is told from the view point of the...more
Angie Brill
Flowers for Elvis is everything you could want from a Southern Gothic novel and told from such an interesting POV. Rich, interesting, insane, poignant, and flawed-but-you-love-them-anyway characters combined with such a wonderfully Southern setting makes Flowers for Elvis a real gem.I hope there is another novel in the works .These characters are too interesting to leave behind after just one story.
Doingitwritenow
Good read

I honestly enjoyed this book. I wasn't alive in Elvis' day but I've always been a fascinated fan of his. This book starts out slow but I would encourage you to push through. I love her descriptive writing style but it lost a star because I never connected to any of the characters. I would still recommend...
Kathleen J McKamey
Hard to put down.

Enjoyable book that was full of twists and turns. Assorted group of family members, affected by the sordid choices of the relatives before them. This book was totally enjoyable with twist and turns, keeping you guessing at every turn. Very difficult to put down. I would highly recommend.
This was a great summer read to pick up and just do over the 4th of July weekend. Once again loving from whose perspective it was written, but yet there was so much tragedy in these girls lives, over and over again all the way to the end, and how some people deal with these events in their lives. . .
Jenny
Michelle Johnson
The pace of this book changed throughout. At some times I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next, at others, I didn't want to pick it back up.

I barely started the thing. Picked it up a few months ago, it was slow going so I put it down. Tried again a second time and while I didn't like the beginning and found it quite corny, I did continue.

I actually thought the girl/ghost character was a sorry way to write a book. Which is why I only gave it three stars. The book would have been bette...more
sheila m rudicel

Good read

very complex book but kept my brain engaged....good ending but complexes. life has a way of righting the wrongs. recommended
Jan
This a strange story set in the 1960s South, a set of twins is born, one white, one black in a nun's convent. One of them is stillborn and is stuck nearby like a ghost/guardian angel following the other twin and some relatives around through out the whole story. Lots of twist and turns, if you can get past the fact most of the story is this ghost's view of things you might enjoy reading it. Lots of sorrow due to childhood abuse has set things up for all of their live's story. Elvis is kind of in...more
Peggy
Another freebie picked up on the Kindle. I've had this for awhile and then a review on it caught my eye - I went back and started reading, half fascinated - half repelled by the opening but then had to keep reading until finished. Without giving away anything - the author does a great job dealing with topics such as abuse, physical and mental; family disfunctions and the secrets kept - some which needed to be kept due to social mores and others kept because of choices made that would affect othe...more
Jovita
Flowers for Elvis is a heartwarming story about a very dysfunctional family, set in Mississippi during the 1950s up to the year of Elvis Presley's death in 1977. I was captivated by this story and I couldn’t stop reading. Flowers for Elvis is filled with quirky twists and characters you’ll never forget. Every chapter is headed with an Elvis reference, and while the King never makes an appearance, Genevieve does regard him as her patron saint and her ultimate love interest. I loved the ending; it...more
Nana333
This was a better book than I expected.
Stephanie
From page one, I dove right into this book, I am finding it hard to put it down, but some places seem rushed espically when describing how a character felt about certain situations occuring, casuing me to have to go back and reread. However, I do not think I would want to finish this story if there was not so many layers packed together to form this wackey, disfunctional family. I would recommend this book to someone who ponders the after life in a non-religous way.
glitrbug
Aug 14, 2010 glitrbug rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Southern fiction, mystery, quirky
Recommended to glitrbug by: Kindle Nation Daily
Shelves: kindle
The story is told by the twin that is still-born. That took some getting used to, but the characters are so quirky and the family is so dysfunctional, I had to keep reading it to find out what the heck was going on. There are layers and layers to this crazy Southern family. Kind of like a car wreck you can't look away from. Somehow it's not depressing. It doesn't feel hopeless. I don't know how the author managed that but I will be looking for more books by Ms Schuster.
Molly
While I didn't have a lot of patience for the girls' mom I was still interested in the life of the girls. The pace of the book seemed to waiver between interesting and eventful to drab babbling. I guess if you like reading about dysfunctional families you'll love this, but I just found myself wanting to slap the Mom and shake the girls to make them see her for who she really was.
Lindsey
Fantastic book! This is the story of a family full of secrets and tragedy. A nun gives birth to twins in the 1950s. One of the girls survives, the other doesn't. The twin who doesn't make it sticks around to watch over her twin sister and the rest of the family. Along the way, the twins learn a lot of life lessons and pull at your heartstrings the entire time. A very touching book.
Colleen Craig
A bit slow to start and at times in need of a good editor for word choice or an odd description (pentacle for pinnacle, for instance) the twists and underlying faith and themes were wonderful. Aside from the editing, the writing was very readable and kept me moving forward. Definitely a lot to contemplate on a higher level, woven in between a plot full of family secrets.
Kat
This book was extremely slow to start, and I almost put it down numerous times. However, once I got about 10-20% through it (sorry, I have a Kindle, so I don't know page numbers, just percentages) it got amazing. You really have to be patient and give it a chance, but once it gets going, it's impossible to put down. Give it a chance- it's worth it!
Emily
Yikes... not a fan of this at all. I had to quit after a few chapters. The writing style drove me nuts! It would be about 2 pages of pointless expounding, then 2 lines of dialog or action, and then 2 more pages of pointless expounding... (Okay, we get it! You're a ghost, and it stinks because you can't feel anything! Can we move on now?)
Nicole
A very interesting and compelling book. Quirky, precocious, and unique. What should have been an endlessly depressing coming of age never once felt so. Macabe without being disturbing. Spiritual without being preachy. An interesting story born of heartfelt curiosity and sympathy after the author overheard a conversation.
Alison
It was an easy read, and engaging, but I felt like this book had been re-written or edited too many times. It was uneven in its pacing. Parts were slow and too descriptive and other parts that could have been elaborated on were truncated. It was a free download so certainly worth what i paid.
Shonda Jefferis
I loved that the story was told by the dead twin; it was different and I thought it worked well. I cried for and really cared about Louisa and Anna Beth; and, even as I thought Genevieve was despicable, I kept hoping that she would somehow redeem herself.
Kristy
This book had all the drama a southern family could ask for. I had to pick up the book when I read about a nun having illegitimate twins with a black man in 1956 Mississippi. The book had me in tears by the end. A great piece of work!
Ellen
This was a great read. I enjoyed the spiritual side of the story. At the same time it wasn't overly religious. The interweaving of the characters lives and the sudden revelations, made the story enjoyable and easy to read.
  • The Ocean Inside
  • The Goddess of Fried Okra
  • Mourn The Living
  • Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #1)
  • Sweetie
  • Primitive
  • Mozart's Blood
  • Raising Jake
  • Falling Out of Fashion
  • Eternity's Edge (Echoes from the Edge, #2)
  • Soul Catcher (The Outsider #1)
  • Once Around the Track (St. Dale, #2)
  • Only You (Angel Ridge, #1)
The Ingredients of Gumbo: Funny, loving stories about a Southern family On Grandma's Porch: Stories and True Facts about Growing up Southern in the Good Old Days