Start by marking “Ticket to Ride (Sam McCain, #8)” as Want to Read:
Ticket to Ride (Sam McCain, #8)

Ticket to Ride (Sam McCain #8)

For small-town Iowa lawyer Sam McCain the year 1965 is not a sweet one. His father is gravely ill. His elitist boss is just now coming out of rehab. The brilliant lawyer he'd hoped to start a relationship with has gone back to her husband in Chicago. And first young soldier from Black River Falls returns home from a strange place called Viet Nam. In a coffin.

Against this b
Published December 15th 2009 by Pegasus Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Ticket to Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ticket to Ride

James Thane
This is the eighth entry in Ed Gorman's series featuring Sam McCain, a small-town lawyer/P.I. in the fictional town of Black River Falls, Iowa. The first books in the series were set in the late 1950s, in a time and place that seemed (and were) impossibly innocent. The violence was minimal and scarcely believable; the characters, charming, goofy or both. McCain himself was a straight arrow who loved his mom and dad, who had terrible luck in love, and who, in the end, always outsmarted the ...more
Mary
Jan 27, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I love Gorman's Sam McCain series which is set during the 1950's/1960's in the fictitious town of Black Falls,Iowa. The mysteries aren't all that complex it's the setting and the characters as well as Gorman's writing that makes the series for me. And who couldn't like Sam McCain--the nerd from high school and the wrong side of town who becomes a lawyer and solves the cases the inept Chief of Police cannot.
Randy
Sep 17, 2013 Randy rated it really liked it
It's 1965 and lawyer/P.I. Sam McCain has a client he doesn't like: his ex-girl friend's current boy friend. That's not the reason though. Not entirely. He's a phony from the word go. He's accused of murder because he was punched out by the victim at a peace rally protesting America's presence in Viet Nam. A rally Sam himself helped organize.

The man turns up dead later that night and his client was seen outside the house shortly before the body was found. That was all "Cliffie," the incompetent p
Daniel DeLappe
Feb 11, 2010 Daniel DeLappe rated it it was amazing
Ed Gormon never misses. Great and crisp writing. Characters you care about and more then everything else. Mister Gorman always writes a good story (though I do have to say this McCain novel was a bit thin, but still worth the time.
Michael Schramme
Feb 01, 2015 Michael Schramme rated it it was amazing
This is a very special 'private eye' series built around a lawyer and special court investigator, Sam McCain, in a small town in the midwest (Iowa) in the fifties and sixties. I absolutely love this series for several reasons:

1. the wonderful immersion into a different time, spanning a decade from the late fifties to the late sixties. The descriptions are detailed, evocative, engaging and realistic. They are exceptionally well done.
2. The protagonist is a likeable average joe, who is easy to ide
Louis
Dec 28, 2015 Louis rated it really liked it
The eighth Sam McCain mystery is set in 1965. This is not a happy time for him: his father is dying, his boss is dealing with alcoholism and his girlfriend has moved away. To add to his misery the body of the town's first Vietnam casualty has just come home. As the arguments over the war are gaining steam two of Sam's old friends turn up dead. As he investigates the murders Sam sees the end of the world as he has always known it. The best part of the story is the growth as a character Sam shows. ...more
Amanda Meggs
Apr 20, 2014 Amanda Meggs rated it liked it
I have missed a few books in the series and picked it up again here with no. 8. Sam is 28 now and still single, he is still generally disapproved of by a lot of the town. The series is not as light hearted as when it started out, there is the war in Vietnam going on, his boss has been in a clinic for alcoholism, his father is sick. Also there were such a lot of characters that I had trouble keeping track of who was who and eventually decided just to read without worrying about it. I do prefer to ...more
Jeff Dickison
Dec 30, 2012 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it
Another Good Sam McCain tale by Gorman. It's the mid-sixties and the town of Black Rivers Falls is having rallies against the Vietnam War, the local preacher is burning Beatles, Stones and other devil worshiping rock music, and citizens are being murdered. Perfect for Chief Sykes to screw up and Sam McCain to save the day. Recommended.
Metagion
Another winner from Mr. Gorman...I love reading stories that take you back to a time when things are exactly how they seem...or are they? Sam McCain is a winning character, and I promise you will love this book!
Melodie
Oct 11, 2010 Melodie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Absolutely my least favorite of this series. A Vietnam war peace activist is arrested for the murder of a former war hero. Sam is pretty sure the guy is innocent......even if the guy stole Sam's girlfriend. The murderer seemed to come out of left field.
GIZMO
Nov 26, 2013 GIZMO rated it it was ok
disappointing...working my way through the series and is the one I really didn't like...the writing was fine but I'm tired of Sam seeing every single woman as nothing but boobs and butt
Al Stoess
Oct 29, 2014 Al Stoess rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Gorman fans. Sam McCain fans.
The first of Gorman's anti-Vietnam War novels. It was o.k. I became confused trying to separate the characters in this and previous books.
Jane Brant
Oct 15, 2012 Jane Brant rated it liked it
I had higher hopes for this mystery based on time period and historical references. While it is not bad, it is "light" and "thin" in character development and complexity of human actions.
Richard Miller
Apr 21, 2016 Richard Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book that truly deserves the definition - novel

This book carried me back to an era that I remember well. I also enjoyed the small town characters and politics.
Standish
Standish rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Cassidy
Cassidy rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2011
Dan McGrew
Dan McGrew rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
The Top Suspense Group
The Top Suspense Group rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2012
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2015
Mary Cannon
Mary Cannon rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2009
Heniz Doofenshmirtz
Heniz Doofenshmirtz rated it really liked it
May 04, 2011
Curtis Padgett
Curtis Padgett rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Patti Abbott
Patti Abbott rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2011
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2013
Mcgranes
Mcgranes rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Robert James
Robert James rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Carla Langston
Carla Langston rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Edward Joseph Gorman was born on November 2, 1941 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He spent 20 years in the advertising industry before leaving to write full-time in 1984. Since then, he has been incredibly prolific, averaging 2-3 novels a year in addition to many short stories, editing anthologies, and founding and editing Mystery Scene, the new magazine of the mystery field. He has written in many genres, ...more
More about Ed Gorman...

Sam McCain (10 books)
  • The Day the Music Died (Sam McCain, #1)
  • Wake Up Little Susie (Sam McCain, #2)
  • Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? (Sam McCain, #3)
  • Save the Last Dance for Me (Sam McCain, #4)
  • Everybody's Somebody's Fool (Sam McCain, #5)
  • Breaking Up Is Hard to Do (Sam McCain, #6)
  • Fools Rush In (Sam McCain, #7)
  • Bad Moon Rising (Sam McCain, #9)
  • Riders on the Storm (Sam McCain, #10)