Start by marking “Edmund and Rosemary Go to Hell: A Story We All Really Need Now More Than Ever” as Want to Read:
Edmund and Rosemary Go to Hell: A Story We All Really Need Now More Than Ever

Edmund and Rosemary Go to Hell: A Story We All Really Need Now More Than Ever

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  193 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
One Sunday afternoon, an ordinary couple named Edmund and Rosemary decide to go for a walk in their Brooklyn neighborhood. Within moments, they are plunged into a wonderful, nerve-racking, hilarious, unique adventure that begins with a cell phone and ends in a jungle halfway around the world.In Edmund and Rosemary Go to Hell, famed New Yorker cartoonist Bruce Eric Kaplan u ...more
Published May 22nd 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Edmund and Rosemary Go to Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Edmund and Rosemary Go to Hell

Ian Vinogradus
L'Enfer, C'est les Autres à Huis Clos

Bruce Eric Kaplan's
Drawings prove Hell is our view
Of other people.

Inconsequential Perplexity

As some people know,
It's not overstood, unless
You underthink it.

Consequential Simplexity

The black on white line drawings and lay out are superb. The text is equally subtle and economical. It's tempting to criticise the text for its implied or inferred politics, but to do so might comprise overthinking. It's best just to enjoy the beauty.
Seizure Romero
Apr 10, 2008 Seizure Romero rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: you. Unless you're a humorless douche.
Shelves: humor, art, library
This book is most excellent and takes all of 20 minutes to read (and that's if your ADD is acting up and you keep wanting to go ride bikes or maybe the cat keeps making that horking sound and you have to keep getting up to see if the pointy little furbag is actually puking behind the couch or just rehearsing for some bizarre vomit opera to be performed later while you sleep). You should read this book. Everyone should read this book. Our president should read this book. Granted, it won't teach h ...more
Kate
Dec 07, 2007 Kate rated it really liked it
More adult picture book than graphic novel. This is a pretty neat book. If the world is just getting you down, you should read it.
The Bookloft
Bookseller: Mark

Edmond and Rosemary Go to Hell--a New Yorker cartoon expanded into a graphic novella--is an hilarious, deadpan look at modern life by one of the best, acerbic comic artists now writing & drawing. His characters look pretty vacant, but--gulp--they also look disquietingly like us. Ed & Rose feel assaulted (&, more, insulted) by popular culture, reaching a crisis point where they try to do something about it. This modern-day INFERNO also has its Purgatorio & Paradiso
Becca Loo
Jul 24, 2011 Becca Loo rated it really liked it
cute. a total impulse buy after a night of good tips. it's short and sweet, maybe taking 15 minutes to read in all. depressed about the state of their lives and the world around them edmund and rosemary convince themselves that they are in fact living in hell. after a long search for evidence leads them to a high ranking official in washington their fears are confirmed. he admits that they are in fact in hell and offers them the winning numbers for a lotto. after indulging in their spoils and tr ...more
Trebro
Nov 16, 2007 Trebro rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
Edmund and Rosemary, two very ordinary people, realize that their life and all the annoyances we wish didn't exist, from too many loud cell phone users to box stores that carry everything but what we need, are a clear sign that they're really in hell.

Through a series of funny drawings and sparse text, our heroes ferret out the truth from the Feds--who else could be behind such a plot?--and are bribed into silence.

But what good is money if you know you're in hell? And what about the devil you kno
Sara
Dec 29, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
Bruce Eric Kaplan's New Yorker cartoons were often some of my favorites, so I expected to find the book clever and witty, but I was surprised to find several quite sweet and touching details as well.

This is a very quick read - but in not many words or images, Kaplan manages to convey a lot of feeling. Some of it, like Edmund and Rosemary's disdain for cell phones, movies, Pop art and all the rest, is frequent complaint fodder and although you've heard it before, the frustrating realization mome
Elizabeth Desole
Dec 20, 2014 Elizabeth Desole rated it really liked it
It's a cute 5 minute read. Seriously, 5 minutes. But in that 5 minutes it deals with struggling to be content, even happy with what you have instead of focusing on what you don't like. It's an funny, silly, optimistic book that takes place in hell. Go figure
Sarah Ride
Aug 07, 2015 Sarah Ride rated it liked it
A very quick read. I didn't like the first half very much, because the characters were so negative about literally everything, but then the second half was better. The ending was very sweet and the characters developed a better mindset.
Kirsti
"Pets are so interesting, even though they never really do anything, which is the exact opposite of people."

Entertaining complaining.
Colin
Jun 06, 2012 Colin rated it really liked it
I am familiar with the artists work from the New Yorker but this is the first thing of his that I have read that is longer than one panel.

This is a very quick read but lots of fun. It kind of feels like it was written by/for octogenarians because of all the griping about the modern world but I could still connect with it. On bad days it feels like I am in hell (as protrayed here) and even on good days I can sympathize with many of the issues Edmund and Rosemary must endure.

This is a fun read a
É F.K. O'Conghaile
Sep 17, 2013 É F.K. O'Conghaile rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All ignoramii
Recommended to É by: Boyfriend
Now I know what to call the world I live in.

If it weren't for quite a bit of misogyny toward the Rosemary character, I'd give it 5 stars. Example would be when Edmund is given an envelope: "Edmund quickly gave it to Rosemary to open, in case it was a bomb" ...What the hell? Also, the art style is pretty bland and simple. Which seems to reflect the author's simple-minded views against cis-women.

All in all, despite missing some important elements of not being oppressive and ignorant, this is an im
Kevin McGuire
May 16, 2016 Kevin McGuire rated it really liked it
A great story about restlessness in the modern world.
Diego Ospina
No está mal para pasar un rato agradable.
Mike Dettinger
Dec 21, 2014 Mike Dettinger rated it liked it
Quick thoughtful book, and who is to say?
Judith
Mar 17, 2016 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Might need a humor shelf. Holy funny.
Sandra Ramirez
Jan 17, 2016 Sandra Ramirez added it
Shelves: panels
"'I think maybe we should try to be less negative', Rosemary said, but didn't really mean it."
Abraham
Feb 19, 2011 Abraham rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A cute short graphic novel(story?) about some middle class new yorkers who discover that this is Hell, the place itself. I rather enjoyed the opening when they get all uppity about the same middle-class complaints that are inevitable these days (too many people on cellphones, too much traffic, tv sucks, etc.) It could go further, maybe, or maybe it went as far as the idea could take it. This is the guy who does all those New Yorker cartoons.
Diana Jou
Mar 10, 2008 Diana Jou rated it liked it
It was the title that first attracted me to his comic/graphic mini novel. It's a tale about a couple that is exasperated from senseless consumerism, felt that there is a diminishing return from humanity, and an ailing planet that is doomed. All these problems are made trivial when it ends up being the background for a simple love story between Edmund and Rosemary. The story is anti-climatic, but the drawings are endearing.
Elizabeth Olson
Apr 18, 2010 Elizabeth Olson rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Bruce Eric Kaplan's illustration style is instantly recognizable to anyone who's read one of his "New Yorker" cartoons. Less familiar -- and previously unknown to me -- is his fiction. I was charmed by this deadpan funny, low key fable about how the experience of being in Hell (or Heaven) is determined by your thoughts, expectations and interpretation of circumstances.
Christiane
Dec 20, 2011 Christiane rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Um, I didn't get it. I liked the artwork (particularly their cat) and I loved how they gradually came to the realization that they must be in hell (I feel like that all the time...WHY is everyone and everything so bloody annoying?!??). And I certainly wouldn't mind the winning lottery ticket. But the ending did not make sense to me.
Christine
Apr 14, 2011 Christine rated it liked it
Short and sweet. Lacks the strange pungency of his best NY'er cartoons, and of his excellent book of cartoons (the name of which currently escapes me), but as a fable, it made me smile while reaching for the next book on the bedside table.
Peacegal
Mar 10, 2014 Peacegal rated it really liked it
This breif graphic novel tells the story of a quiet couple who go out for the evening and make a very startling discovery. Rude cell-phone screamers, endless traffic jams, big box stores--clearly, they are living in Hell!
Jacobi
Jan 31, 2015 Jacobi rated it it was ok
Shelves: trades-read
Super dry humor, which worked well. I liked the message of the book, but it didn't jive with my tastes as much as I would have liked.

Still, it can be read in less than 5 minutes, so there is no harm in trying this out.
Paquamelo
May 23, 2009 Paquamelo rated it liked it
Short graphic story about a couple realizing the world they live in is hell. If the author's goal was to comfort me...it didnt really hit the mark. Its cute but it doesnt really question "our hellish society".
Kate
Aug 17, 2010 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This pessimistic couple discovers the life they lead is the best life for them in this sweetly sparse graphic novel. If you liked The Little Prince or The Alchemist, this might appeal to you.
Julie
Jul 04, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
There are several things I like about this book: the idea we live in hell, the assertion Arizona is full of ugly t-shirts and the possibility fear can keep us from heaven.
Jay
Nov 07, 2013 Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, 2013
Very interesting little book - a great doom of gloom description of modern day society, with a surprise romantic ending. Definitely taking 30 minutes to read this story.
Jennifer Daniel
Jan 14, 2009 Jennifer Daniel rated it liked it
A couple look around at all the rude people on cell phones, tons of traffic, bad television, etc. and realize they are in HELL. I have often thought the same thing.
Kirsten
Jan 30, 2008 Kirsten rated it liked it
Recommended to Kirsten by: Librari-Dan
This is a funny little book by a popular New Yorker cartoonist. It's amusing and parts of it made me laugh out loud, but overall it's pretty slight and forgettable.
  • Slow News Day
  • Jack the Ripper: A Journal of the Whitechapel Murders 1888-1889
  • The Shape of Things to Come
  • 99 Ways to Tell a Story: Exercises in Style
  • Archer & Armstrong, Vol 4: Sect Civil War
  • You Are a Miserable Excuse for a Hero!: Book One in the Just Make a Choice! Series
  • Middletown, America: One Town's Passage from Trauma To Hope
  • Behind Bars: The Straight-Up Tales of a Big-City Bartender
  • Cat Getting Out of a Bag and Other Observations
  • The Varieties of Romantic Experience
  • Ten Men
Bruce Eric Kaplan, known as BEK, is an American cartoonist whose single-panel cartoons frequently appear in The New Yorker. His cartoons are known for their signature simplistic style and often dark humor. Kaplan is also a screenwriter and has worked on Six Feet Under and on Seinfeld (funnily enough, one of his most well-known episodes is one where Elaine becomes increasingly frustrated over what ...more
More about Bruce Eric Kaplan...