Start by marking “Streetlights and Shadows: Searching for the Keys to Adaptive Decision Making (Bradford Books)” as Want to Read:

An expert explains how the conventional wisdom about decision making can get us into trouble--and why experience can't be replaced by rules, procedures, or analytical methods.

Published September 4th 2009 by The MIT Press

To ask other readers questions about Streetlights and Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Streetlights and Shadows

Scott Ford
Mar 28, 2010 Scott Ford rated it it was amazing
Wouldn't it be great if we could make decisions within the same vacuum that many advice gurus use to establish their theories! Unfortunately, mere mortals have to contend with ambiguity, contradiction and redundancy on a regular basis. Gary Klein places the whole process of decision making into context. A great book.
Christopher Widjaya
good book regarding human thinking on decisions. but too draggy at parts with countless rereferences to anecdotes, sort of beating around the bush for a good bit, but never fails to put the points down in the ground firmly. a good read, but a hundred pages less is possible and maybe more is less is really the best.
Jeff
Jul 10, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
Klein's discussion of ten common claims relative to decision-making in organizations is an interesting take on a frequently-covered topic. The author goes to great lengths to indicate a state of 'partial disagreement' with the claims, noting that most work in well-ordered situations yet break down in complex and/or ambiguous environments. Rather than writing a handbook on decision-making, what Klein is really doing is lending support to the notion that humans and the sciences that study them ...more
Yadira  Denisse
I actually could not finish reading this book. I read 3/4 because my brain got tired of trying to interpret what it was saying. I think is a great read!!!! It basically explains everything you think you know and then tells you not to believe it and why...it makes perfect sense but it's academically written. I was trying to read it for pleasure and my brain couldn't handle it!

Nevertheless, I should also mention that as a Law Enforcement Officer most of his theories about why I should deny the in
Muhammad al-Khwarizmi
Very decent book though the author gets overly verbose at points. In the chapter on risk management for example it was very obvious that he was talking about so-called "Knightian" uncertainty and I wished he would just come out and say it. I would say Klein certainly mounted an illuminating challenge to conventional decision and management theory anyway. I'm loath to quote John Lennon but "life is what happens when you're making other plans". That being said, I still am not fully convinced of th ...more
Ben Pratt
Jul 12, 2016 Ben Pratt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding insight into problem solving under complex conditions

Walks through the most common assumptions about what should be done to solve problems and drive continuous improvement, showing how these generally hold up well under simpler, more straightforward conditions (solving puzzles) - and it so well in more complex situations (solving mysteries). Very pragmatic and useful knowledge managers and leaders in all walks of life...
Joan
Feb 23, 2013 Joan rated it really liked it
I refer to this book all of the time in training colleagues in incident response. Especially his study of pilots, when hijacked, are not able to consult their manual. Instead, they must rely on training, instincts, and adaptive decision-making to aid in mitigating serious consequences is something everyone can appreciate and practice.
John
Dec 12, 2011 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trading, reread
Every teacher should read this book. Great examples of feedback and understand how people learn and challenges simplistic concepts of learning and teaching. But great book for people that love understanding decisions and pitfalls.
Louise
Jul 02, 2013 Louise rated it it was amazing
This is an important book for those who are administrators in education. Teaching is a complex task in a complex system.
Johnny Bennett
Jul 14, 2014 Johnny Bennett rated it liked it
This was way better than Thinking Fast and Slow. Much more directly applicable to life. Better writing too.
Kendra
Aug 26, 2010 Kendra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: class-y-reading
This is a GREAT book on decision making and sensemaking. It is written for a general audience, using a wide variety of examples to make his point. I highly recommend it!
Laura Quinn
Laura Quinn rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Dawne
Dawne rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Chrcgr
Oct 21, 2014 Chrcgr rated it it was ok
Some thought provoking content, but could easily have been condensed to about a dozen pages.
Rei
Rei rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2011
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2014
Joey
Joey rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
Len O'Kelly
Len O'Kelly rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Kevin P
Kevin P rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Richard Witwer
Richard Witwer rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Erika Refsland
Erika Refsland rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2015
Joshua Bennett
Joshua Bennett rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Kevin J
Kevin J rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2014
Gojko Adzic
Gojko Adzic rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2014
Wayne
Wayne rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2015
Sigurdur
Sigurdur rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2011
Armina
Jan 06, 2015 Armina rated it it was amazing
awesome book. mindblowing :)
Gabriel Raoni
Gabriel Raoni rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The 100 Simple Secrets of Successful People
  • Thinking and Deciding
  • How to Get Lucky: 13 techniques for discovering and taking advantage of life's good breaks
  • Simple Heuristics That Make Us Smart
  • Caffeine for the Creative Mind: 250 Exercises to Wake Up Your Brain
  • Exploiting Chaos: 150 Ways to Spark Innovation During Times of Change
  • Cognition in the Wild (Bradford Books)
  • The Art of Problem Solving: Accompanied by Ackoff's Fables
  • Programming the Semantic Web
  • Imprudent King: A New Life of Philip II
  • The Manga Guide to Calculus

“Complex and unpredictable
The claims work best in well-ordered situations. Well-ordered domains are structured and stable. We know what causes the effects we want to achieve. We can think systematically about well-ordered domains because we know how they work. We can calculate what decisions to make and how to predict the future.
However, we don't usually live in that world of clarity. Much of the time we find ourselves in a different world-a world of shadows where we don't know all the causes or how they work, we can't pin down all the knowledge we need in order to be successful, and we aren't sure we understand the goals.”
0 likes