Start by marking “All by Myself” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
All by Myself
Mercer Mayer

All by Myself (Little Critter)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  6,420 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
All the many things a young child can do independently are demonstrated, (tying shoes, riding bike, kicking ball), but there is one thing one cannot do alone.
Published October 1985 by Random House (NY) (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about All by Myself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All by Myself

Jason Koivu
Sep 21, 2013 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Read by me, reviewed by my niece*

All by Myself is the day-in-the-life story of a young, scruffy monster-boy, who shall go nameless, because his name was never given. He gets up, gets himself dressed and fed, "helps" feed and play with his sister, plays by himself, "helps" his parents, then hits the hay. Not a lot of nail-biting excitement here, but there's some laughs to be had.

Niece Emma (who turned 4 on Saturday with an off-the-chain party...yeah, there was face painting) didn't want to read
Oct 11, 2011 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, picture-books
It's a terribly cute little story about a little guy trying to go through his day doing everything by himself. The illustrations are funny and cute. You have the added bonus of having the child reading along find the mouse in most of the illustrations. On my color Nook, you can touch the pictures and the word of the item touched will pop up with audio of the word being said. The mouse hunt is also by touch and tallied for you; the book tells you how well you did at the end in finding them all. A ...more
Trisha Stragand
This book is about how little critter can do many things independently. I read this to my kindergarten class to help them learn what the word independent means, so that they could learn how to be like little critter and be independent learners.
Rebecca RDG 3320
I love this whole collection of stories...they are great...lots of activites to do with them.
This is one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors Mercer Mayer. I like this book because my mom read this series to me as a child.
good afternoon!my name is kang da hyeon.
today i read 'ALL BY MYSELF' by MERCER MAYER.
this is a fiction story.
the character is Little Crittler.he can do things by him self.
I gave a rating of 3 stars out of 5.
Tamera Fleming
Oct 24, 2016 Tamera Fleming rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-summaries
1) Book summary: Al by Myself demostrate how little Critter can do everything on his own while having little slip up here and there. You have to read the book to learn the things he was able to do without his parents.
2) Grade level, interest level, lexile : The grade level for this book is kindergarten to the 2nd grade. The interest level for this book I would recommend for the ages 2-5 years ago. I still love the Mercer Mayer books! The lexile for this book is AD370L.
3) Appropriate classroom u
Maritza Trujillo
Sep 27, 2016 Maritza Trujillo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-230
This book is great for younger kids who are in the stage of "I want to do it by myself!". It teaches them that they can't always do everything by themselves. They will learn that they will need a parent for certain things.
Grace Bradley
Apr 26, 2014 Grace Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
"All by Myself" tells the story of a little boy critter who is exploring all the tasks he is able to do on his own. It takes you through a series of household tasks that can make a young kid feel very independent from buttoning his own overalls, to helping his mother frost a cake. The critter gives his best effort despite not being able to complete the tasks perfectly. I really liked this book because it highlighted the effort of a child and even though he didn not complete the tasks very well, ...more
Kyounga Kim
Oct 28, 2015 Kyounga Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a review of the digital version of the book: all by myself. I found this app in apple app store. When we appreciate apps or want to use as a children's literacy material, we should consider if it is a quality electronic text, or not. One of the important elements that makes good app is the quality of image. The appreciation of how well little critter can do all of the things that he can do by himself is only fully realized when text and image are considered together. We can see the importa ...more
Justina Servantes
May 17, 2010 Justina Servantes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng-353

Little Critter is proving that he can do things like brush his fur, brush his teeth, ride his tricycle and put himself to bed all by himself. This is a great book with a character is very determined to prove that he can do things without any help. This shows how children are when they reach the age where they want their own independence. The age appropriate would be kindergarten where the child is now learning how to do multiple things like writing their names, reading and dressing themselves. I
Fabida Abdulla
In this book, Little Critter attempts to do a lot of stuff by himself, even things he can’t actually do, which leads to a few funny situations. This is a great book for toddlers/preschoolers who are now in the ‘I’ll do it alone’ stage. It’s a nice way to differentiate between what they can do and what they can’t do without making a mess. The book is supposed to foster independence (not that kids need any help there :-)) and encourage little ones to be safe while exploring their skills.
The Critte
Brent Rogers
This book is about a character that goes by “Little Critter” in most books by Mercer Mayer. Littler Critter lists all the things he can do by himself in this book. It proves to little children that they can do simple tasks by themselves and not always rely on their parents. Some tasks he can accomplish are: brushing his teeth, comb his hair, put himself to bed, and watch his little sister. One thing he can’t do is go to bed without a story. It’s very important that parents read to their children ...more
Iman Tabbaa
Sep 19, 2012 Iman Tabbaa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-about-me
Little Critter demonstrates all of the things he can do by himself. HE can ties his own shoes,pour his own drink, brush his own fur, etc. Even though he spills a little or ties his shoes together, he's still independent and does the best he can.

I would use this book to encourage independence. Children feel confident when they can start to do things on their own. This would be a way to get children thinking about what they can do by themselves. I think this book would go well in a house play cent
Aug 28, 2009 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I didn't want to rate every Mercer Mayer Little Critters books so I thought I'd mark just one of the favorites. I admit that these books weren't on my top ten shelf despite the illustrations but I gave them a 4 star rating not because of my personal feelings but because of the boy's love for them. These books are in high rotation at our house. The boys often repeat the stories to themselves, look at the illustrations, and reference the stories during the day. Who can complain about a book that h ...more
Carissa M
"All By Myself" by Mercer Mayer, is a perfect book for parents to read to their children. The book relates to kids at that age where they think they can do everything on their own without any help. It also pushes for parents to read to their children before bed, "I can put myself to bed... but I can't go to bed without a story" (Mayer). The author in her other books addresses a lot of issues that kids face growing up. I highly recommend these books, they're a fun way to help kids and their paren ...more
Aug 31, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've bought a number of Little Critter books for my nieces, because they really like them.

And anyway, they're short, they're funny, they're topical, and they're cheap.

In this one, Little Critter details all the things he can do "by himself". Of course, the illustrations give the lie to his words - sure he can pour his own juice, but he doesn't say that he spills, that sort of thing.

Anyway, he very cutely does a lot of things "by himself" before reading that he can't tuck himself into bed - he n
Amanda Kolar
Mayer(1983) tells a story about a Little Critter that can do things throughout the day by himself to help his parents out but there is one thing he can’t do. He can’t go to sleep without a story begin read to him. I would use this in my classroom. It would help me teach my children the things they can do to help their parents out as they get a little older and are able to do a few things around the house.
Jul 21, 2009 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Next to "Where the Wild Things Are," the Mercer Mayer Little Critter books were my son's favorite bedtime reading when he was little. I probably read this one and other Mayer books to him a hundred times. Personally, these were also my favorites to read to him. I'm going to include reviews on those that I particularly remember.

This is a book about Little Critter's independence, although it all happens in a very funny way.
Christie rdg3320
Jun 29, 2008 Christie rdg3320 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is good for K-1st because it talks about learning to do things on your own. It teaches them that though they want to do everything on their own there are still some things you need help with and thats okay. The things discussed in this book are simple things that students of this age are trying to do on their own so they can relate to it. I would use this book at the beginning of the year to help them understand that they will begin to learn to do things on their own.
Lauren Derosa
I thought that this book was very simple yet it was funny in its own way. I thought it was amusing that the main character in the book showed us of all of the things that he can do by himself and how helpful he can be, yet the pictures show that he is still a young child and messes up when he thinks he is being helpful. I think that this book would suit readers ages 0-5 as a picture book because it has big pictures with just a few words on each page.
Rosa Cline
Feb 24, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Mercer Mayer's Critters are such a cute group of characters to read about and the illustrations are always so nice. This book helps encourage younger children to do things on their own and 'by myself' but also in the end makes them realize that its still okay to have help on some things too :) Cute little book (we read it several times in the week we had it checked out from the library)
This story has given me a glimpse at what my 8 month old will be like in a few years. Even now, he squawks at me when I try to do anything for him that he thinks he can do himself (eat, stand, read). He loves to grab the book from my hand, flip the pages, and babble nonsense at the top of his lungs. This is a great book for independent kids!
Linda Branich
Aug 22, 2014 Linda Branich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This is one of Mercer Mayer's Little Critter series books that talks about all kinds of life issues and experiences. All By Myself is a book about growing up and all the different things that Little Critter can do at this particular stage of his life. Younger children will be inspired to see if they can do all the things that Little Critter can do by hhimself and be more independent.
I like how this book realistically shows what it looks like when the child helps out at home. I feel like quite a few of my students will be able to relate to the story. this story would be nice for a circle time about how they help out.

Interest Level
Grades K - 2
Reading Level
Grade level Equivalent: 1.9
Lexile Measure: AD370L
DRA: 8
Guided Reading: E
My first graders love Little Critter. We read this story and then made a writing extension where they then wrote about situations in which they wanted to do something independently and might have gotten into a bit of trouble for doing so. We talked about what was appropriate for children to do on their own and what definitely was not.
This book really captures toddlers and preschoolers well. Critter does all sorts of things by himself. He boasts about all of them, even though they are not all done exactly right. Like most of the critter books we've read, there is lots to look at and talk about that young children are familiar with.
Nicole Flores
This is another Little Critter story "I can do it all by myself" story. This can be especially good for children that are 4 or 5 because it is things that they begin doing and things they can conncet with. It wouldn't be appropriate for older kids because they wouldn't be able to relate and could get bored.
Sherry Thornberry
This time our little critter is telling us of all the things he can do himself from getting out of bed to watching his little sister. This book repeats the words "I can" over and over which are two sight words. This repetition leads to a good literacy bases for early readers.

Read aloud at
Megan Chonczynski
This book can be a big help for younger children learning how to do things themselves. It shows this critter doing things by himself, like making his bed and combing his hair. The illustrations show great examples of this. The words often above or below the illustrations. This is a great book that can encourage children.
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Habit
  • In a People House
  • A to Z
  • The Three Billy Goats Gruff
  • My Tooth Is About to Fall Out (Hello Reader! Level 1)
  • Just a Bully
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad