Start by marking “Lobster Johnson: The Satan Factory” as Want to Read:
Lobster Johnson: The Satan Factory

Lobster Johnson: The Satan Factory (Lobster Johnson novel)

Where greed and the occult walk hand in hand where mobsters and monsters prowl the streets none escape the justice of Lobster Johnson! In the years before World War II Jonas Chapel was a respected physician until his appetite for vice got the best of him and he found himself on the run from one of New York s most powerful mob bosses. On the lam in Mexico Chapel stumbles ...more
Paperback, First Dark Horse Books Edition, 208 pages
Published July 21st 2009 by Dark Horse Books (first published June 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lobster Johnson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lobster Johnson

J.M.
Sep 11, 2009 J.M. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, pulp fiction fans, Hellboy fans, comic book fans
Let me make it clear that I am a huge HUGE fan of writer R.E. Howard (1906-1936), and I have a deep fascination with all the pulp fiction of the '20s-'50s Weird Tales variety. This includes the works of Ashton-Smith, Leiber, Bradbury, C.L. Moore (Lovecraft not so much).

That said, regarding Tom Sniegoski's work on Lobster Johnson: The Satan Factory, I have to say "wow!" Allow me to repeat: "WOW!" Mr. Sniegoski had me hooked from the get-go, opening up right away with a doctor by the name of Ch
Travis
Jan 15, 2010 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-book-books
Great pulp styled adventure, featuring Mike Mignola's masked mystery man from the 30's, Lobster Johnson.
The lobster and his crew deal with a mad doctor that has acquired a formula to turn normal people into monsters, but the source of the formula is even more sinister than anyone knows.
Great action and perfectly captures the gritty, over the top feel of the pulps.
Only gripe is that Lobster is so stoic and mysterious that he comes across as a bit flat, as we don't get even the tiniest hint of who
Quentin Wallace
Nov 30, 2016 Quentin Wallace rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one, and to me it was everything a "pulp fiction" story should be. Action and adventure with a decent plot but not necessarily the deepest story. Lobster Johnson seems right at home next to Doc Savage and the Shadow.

A demon's blood transform people into monsters, and the demon attempts to take over the criminal underworld and move on from there. Thankfully, Lobster and his team are there to thwart them.

Fans of pulp adventure should really check this one out, as it was surp
Paul
Nov 17, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: pulp-fantasy
"The horned mastermind of this entire affair wasn't where the Lobster had left him. The creature wasn't dead, and now the Lobster was on the hunt. He hated when things he thought were dead didn't stay that way. It was a problem that seemed to be happening far more frequently these days than it had in the past."

An excellent tribute to pulp fiction, with a nod to fantasy.
Scott Waldie
Nov 28, 2016 Scott Waldie rated it liked it
Solid novel adaptation, really nails the feel of the Lobster comics and Mignola's pulp action horror universe. Fast, concise read and I'd say just as good as any of the LJ arcs I've read in their native graphic format.
Skjam!
Jun 19, 2016 Skjam! rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mike Mignola fans, pulp hero fans
Recommended to Skjam! by: 50% off
Disgraced doctor Jonas Chapel, on the run from the mob in Mexico, stumbles across a mysterious skeleton dripping a fluid that turns humans into monsters. Soon thereafter Chapel’s back in New York, teaming up with the very gang boss who’d ordered the hit on him to take over all the gangs in the city. Or so mobster Rocco Fazzina thinks, but Dr. Chapel’s ambitions are larger than that. Only the masked man known as the Lobster and his few agents are aware of the Satan Factory and the threat it poses ...more
Tamara
Aug 27, 2009 Tamara rated it liked it
I saw Mike Mignola at the Emerald City Comicon and he was talking about how he was interested in seeing what Thomas Sniegoski did with the Lobster Johnson character since so much of his background is a mystery. Sniegoski handled the story admirably, giving us the viewpoint character in the form of one of the Lobster's team, Jake Hurley, a disgraced former NYC cop.

The action is fast-paced, the descriptions suitably gory and the Lobster remains a mysterious figure. Not that he doesn't loom large i
Orrin Grey
Aug 04, 2011 Orrin Grey rated it liked it
Shelves: mignola
Of all the various Hellboy spin-off properties, the novels are the ones that have most often failed to really connect for me. Something about the magic of the Hellboy comics is always missing from the prose interpretations, and while there have been some pretty good stories come out of them, none of them are ever really what I'm looking for.

This one's no exception. Tackling the Lobster Johnson character instead of Hellboy or any of the B.P.R.D. members, Thomas Sniegoski does a pretty admirable j
Matt
Jul 08, 2015 Matt rated it liked it
I struggled with this book. I believe the main reason was this was a comic book in text form. Good old fashioned pulp comic. I think part of it was we never delved into the main character too much, we learned mainly about a few of his sidekicks and the main bad guy but not really too much about The Lobster (such a stupid name btw). I am a fan of Hellboy but not read too many comics in the last two or so decades so I was not really up on who this character was or why he was so damn invulnerable ...more
Russell Grant
Feb 27, 2012 Russell Grant rated it it was ok
Lobster Johnson get's his own novel. It's clearly a tribute to the pulps, but this one just never quite worked. It's presented as a lost manuscript from the 40's, but is clearly written in a modern style so it never feels right. The story is decent enough, but in the end, Lobster is a real puss. You're better off checking out a Doc Savage or other novel from the period that this one is trying to hard to emanate.
Damon
Jun 28, 2011 Damon rated it liked it
This was okay - very plausibly pulpy, but that brings some bad with the good. The plot was fairly basic and entertaining, but also had some holes and inconsistencies, and the overall writing was none too great. Not a bad summer read - it was short, and moved along at a good pace - but there wasn't really too much to get excited about. Also, for a book about the Lobster, he really doesn't do a whole lot, or even really appear in that much of the book.
Noah Soudrette
Sep 06, 2009 Noah Soudrette rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
A great idea this. A honest to god "lost" pulp novel about the fictional pulp hero Lobster Johnson, torn from the pages of Hellboy. This is a fun little read, written in the style of the old pulps. I'd give it an extra star if you're a Hellboy fan, and one less if your not. It's pretty much for die hards only. Still, I hope they put out more.
Craig
Dec 05, 2009 Craig rated it liked it
A very fast-paced, action-packed story told as a 1930's-era pulp hero adventure. The Lobster would've been at home on the newstand racks next to The Avenger and Doc Savage. Lots of fun for fans of the genre.
Tyler
Jul 17, 2014 Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mike-mignola
Awesome book. Love the Lobster. Sniegoski really nailed it and really got the Lobster. Wouldn't mind seeing a comic adaptation of this, simply to see how Sneigoski might lay it out in panel form. If you love the Mignolaverse as much as I do, definitely check this out.
Mary
Jan 19, 2010 Mary rated it liked it
Interesting, but there was nothing about Lobster Johnson. Doesn't he have some kinds of back story?
Erik Carl son
Aug 04, 2012 Erik Carl son rated it it was amazing

Pulpy goodness. Sadly Dark Horse didn't want to invest any time or money into a second volume.
Michael
Jun 20, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it
A action packed noir/pulp thriller in the style of old pulp novels starring one the greatest characters from Hellboy!
Hannah Kane
Apr 26, 2014 Hannah Kane rated it really liked it
Definitely a solid piece of storytelling -- super quick, highly enjoyable read -- but I kept picturing it in graphic form and really wishing there were pictures. That's just me, though. :)
John
John rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2016
Larry Jones
Larry Jones rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2011
James
James rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2013
Randell Wolff
Randell Wolff rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2011
Jeremy Spaulding
Jeremy Spaulding rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2009
Dan Perkins
Dan Perkins rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Fray Parabellum
Fray Parabellum rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2011
Bryson Kopf
Bryson Kopf rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Cody Goodfellow
Cody Goodfellow rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2014
oeniadaeowl
oeniadaeowl rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2010
Matthew Dame-Brusie
Matthew Dame-Brusie rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Hellboy: Oddest Jobs
  • Lobster Johnson, Vol. 2: The Burning Hand (Lobster Johnson, #2)
  • Hellboy: The All-Seeing Eye
  • Hellboy: The Fire Wolves
  • Hellboy: Emerald Hell
THOMAS E. SNIEGOSKI is the author of more than two dozen novels for adults, teens, and children. His teen fantasy YA series Fallen was adapted into a trilogy of monstrously successful TV movies by ABC Family Channel. His other books for teens include Sleeper Code, Sleeper Agenda, and Force Majeure, as well as the upcoming series The Brimstone Network. The author's first adult novel, A Kiss Before ...more
More about Thomas E. Sniegoski...

Lobster Johnson (4 books)
  • Lobster Johnson, Vol. 1: The Iron Prometheus (Lobster Johnson, #1)
  • Lobster Johnson, Vol. 2: The Burning Hand (Lobster Johnson, #2)
  • Lobster Johnson, Vol. 3: Satan Smells a Rat (Lobster Johnson, #3)
  • Lobster Johnson, Vol. 4: Get the Lobster