Start by marking “Lily Chin's Crochet Tips & Tricks: Shortcuts and Techniques Every Crocheter Should Know” as Want to Read:

Toss Lily into your project bag and bring her stitching savvy, troubleshooting techniques, and no-frills know-how wherever your crocheting takes you!

Every crocheter, from the newest beginner to the most versatile expert, needs an accessible technique guide. And who better to compile one than Lily Chin—the author of four hugely popular knitting and crocheting manuals, a ve
Published October 13th 2009 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Lily Chin's Crochet Tips & Tricks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lily Chin's Crochet Tips & Tricks

Lil' Grogan
Oct 11, 2011 Lil' Grogan rated it it was ok
Shelves: handmade
Good as refresher for some techniques. But..where were the tricks? Most things I had seen elsewhere, and the last time I looked at crochet books was before this one was published. Word heavy, prefer illustrations.

On edition: big white borders on pages also mean the book is a lot thicker than it has to be. If I were using this as a follow-along guide for some illustrated techniques, would not be convenient to keep flipping pages.
Robin
Dec 07, 2010 Robin rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
Advertised as a book for beginners to experts I found it quite lacking. It may be an excellent book for those starting out but does not really offer much for those who know their way around a hook. I found the formatting of the pages quite off putting. (Why soooo much space in the margins and cram the text right next to the spine??) As well some real photos would have been nice.
Jessica
Jun 02, 2010 Jessica rated it it was ok
www.2thepointbooks.blogspot.com

Whenever I'm not reading, I'm crocheting. And I love it. It keeps my hands busy while I watch a movie, you know, instead of eating ice cream or popcorn or some such. I call it my "Crochet Diet." So I try to check out any book that will help fuel my yarn addiction. I thought this book fit that bill.

Unfortunately, I was underwhelmed with it. Although this book contains a few good tricks, if you've been crocheting for a while at all, they aren't that great. Plus the w
Jayme
Jan 20, 2010 Jayme rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafting, 2010
Perfect for anyone starting out in crochet. The diagrams and instructions are very easy to follow. Goes from the very beginning of how to hold your needle and start your first chain, to things you'll need to know to follow a pattern, and finally all the finishing techniques you could want. Great to refer back to as you're working through your first (or 101st) pattern.
Poppy Square
Dec 28, 2011 Poppy Square rated it liked it
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this book. My expectations were really high considering what I hear of her class but the book seemed to lack something. Most of the tips in the book were not new to me (I'm not a beginner so maybe that is why) but there were some tips in the back of the book that I found interesting and will try to use - mainly with gauge and sizing of garments.
Amber Koppenhofer
Feb 28, 2011 Amber Koppenhofer rated it really liked it
Not an interesting read, but full of helpful tips for all those crocheters out there. I've seen many of the tips in other sources, but it's nice to have them all in one compact volume, especially for people like me who take long breaks from crocheting and need some refreshing now and then.
Jan 21, 2010 Jennifer marked it as taking-a-break-from-it
Her section on yarn weights and how they are determined seems too esoteric. It's not information that "every" crocheter should know--it's rather information that is very obscure and unnecessary, in my mind.
Courtney Vick
Jul 22, 2013 Courtney Vick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crochet
I really like this book as a good reference for different yarn size classifications systems, repair advice, stitches and finishing tips, among other things. It is a book I always have in my crochet bag now.
Adri Guadron
Jul 09, 2014 Adri Guadron rated it it was amazing
Great book, well written and many AHA moments. I like it and I will re read it.
GoldenjoyBazyll
May 04, 2013 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
Beginner or in need of a memory jolt this is a quick refresher. Definately a great reference book. So glad my crochet teacher this introduced me to this resource book.
Sally
Nov 25, 2009 Sally rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sally by: Crochet Today magazine
Shelves: crafts
Fun book - great tips - a wonderful resource for crocheters.
Mar 17, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, crocheting
I like this one, it is very clear and concise and tells you how to fix your mistakes and helps you with tips for blocking. I like her writing style.
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Two Readers in Love
Two Readers in Love rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Vangie Deleon
Vangie Deleon rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
Kati
Kati rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2012
Kirsten Lansberry
Kirsten Lansberry rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
Kathy Deppe
Kathy Deppe rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Shelly Crawford-Stock
Shelly Crawford-Stock rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2011
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2012
Laura Brewer
Laura Brewer rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2014
Erja
Erja rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Connie
Connie rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2010
Norma
Norma rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2012
Sherry Baker
Sherry Baker rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Kris
Kris rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Published as Lily M. Chin and Lily Chin

Lily Chin, named a “Master Knitter” by Vogue Knitting International, has designed knitwear for magazines and yarn companies for nearly 25 years, and she has worked with designers Ralph Lauren, Vera Wang, Diane von Furstenberg, and Isaac Mizrahi. Her work has been on the backs of celebrities and super models, from Racquel Welch and Vanna White to Cindy Crawfor
More about Lily Chin...