Start by marking “Ribblestrop (Ribblestrop, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ribblestrop (Ribblestrop, #1)

Ribblestrop (Ribblestrop #1)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A dilapidated school with the most unpromising of pupils and eccentric of teachers, led by an educational maverick, must unravel the mystery of what is going on in its secret cellars if it is to avoid complete ruin.
Published April 6th 2009 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Ribblestrop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ribblestrop

Maharet
Questo libro è completamente folle: è un trip di acido (non che ne abbia mai sperimentato uno, ma immagino quali possano essere gli effetti di tale pratica) lungo 439 pagine e Andy Mulligan secondo me è un genio.
Sui social network mi è capitato di definire questo libro “un Harry Potter sotto LSD” e devo dire che la definizione calza, anche se tra HP e questo libro ci passa un oceano: è un libro fuori di testa, in cui succede di tutto e di più e in cui i colpi di scena si susseguono a ritmo serra
Candy Wood
Andy Mulligan's Ribblestrop is a very strange take on the boarding-school story, partly updated to the 21st century with "cellphones" and partly a throwback to James Bond spy stories with evil mad scientists and improbable gadgets. Add to all that a huge volume of violence, not just the bruises and scrapes of an accident-prone schoolboy but life-threatening injuries realistically described (with some hints of cartoon exaggeration). As often in the school-story genre, the characters are more ster ...more
Wandering Librarians
Ribblestrop is a school like no other. There is no roof. The teachers are a bit odd, and strange things are going on in the secret underground labyrinth of the building. The students are an unusual mix as well, from Millie, an arsonist who's been kicked out of her other schools, Sanches, the son of a Colombian gangster, to Sam, who's had the bad luck to fall into the middle of it all.

I did not enjoy. My expectations were high because Ribblestrop was actually published in the UK in 2009 and won T
Monica Edinger
Since I read this after the second one I do have to admit my preference for it over the first, but liked this one too. Now can't wait for the final in the trilogy.
Rachael
Welcome to the wacky world of Ribblestrop!

Ribblestrop is a boarding school set in the lovely English countryside in Devon, but all is not what it seems. With an air of the movie Hot Fuzz things slowly unravel as you meet the characters and arrive at the school.

With day to day school life, a sweet but zany headmaster, a deputy head mistress who enforces the rules, a building which was burnt down in the last school year and a laboratory and catacombs underneath the school, things are about to get
Becky B
Let me preface this by saying I usually heartily enjoy British humor, so I went into this book with high hopes. However, it took me forever to get into Ribblestrop. In fact, I usually devour a book this size in 2-3 days and I was so not grabbed by the characters or plotline that I dropped it to read not once, not twice, but about 6-7 times to read other books and thus stretched this thing out for almost a month. Finally, about 2 chapters from the end (about 300 pages of forced reading) I got int ...more
Spock
la parte iniziale del libro (il treno, l'incontro con i compagni, la scuola strana, ...) ricordano volutamente Harry Potter. E gi�� questa captatio benevolentiae verso il lettore target non mi piace.

La storia tuttavia non riesce a catturare il lettore: la storia procede in modo alquanto incongruo e poco coinvolgente. Gli studenti sono curiosamente borderline: un gruppo di orfani provenienti da una non meglio definita regione Himalayana (!?!?!?) dai nomi improbabili; la ragazzina problematica; du
Mary
The publisher says this book is for 8 to 12 year olds. I'm thinking 12. There were parts that were so violent I started to think I was reading an adult book.
But it is oh-so-British. I got this book at a Book Buzz I attended recently and the publisher said it was a book you can't stop reading. She's right - it's a real page-turner.
Zee
The plot is very promising here, so it's a shame that it's so badly executed. The lack of a single main character is this book's main stumbling point; no character is actually fleshed out enough for the reader to sufficiently invest in the story emotionally, and when there are as many as ten POVs in one chapter it becomes very difficult to place yourself at the scene or care what happens at the end. Books with multiple points of view are fine if written well, however this does not carry it off a ...more
Hebe Young
It was pretty good but I think it is more aimed at younger boys than my age group and gender.
Mary
This book is so, so British. There were parts of it that were just a bit too gory and violent for my taste. But the parts about learning were wonderful.
Lily
totally wacky, with really weird characters and a very well thought out plot. Really enjoyed it
Nic
I liked it but not as much as the other books in the series.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
I'd love to give this 4 stars because I enjoyed it so much, but it does bear some marks of a first novel - uneven charaterisation, a sometimes directioness plot and a very few instances of clumsy phrasing. Other than that it's a gloriously nerve-wracking romp in the most haphazard and hazardous school ever.
Kriselle
Could've been an interesting story, but everything had been rolled out in such an unpleasant pace that made it difficult to read. Especially the 'climax'. Took me longer to finish this compared to other books with the same difficulty.
Rahul
Slow start. Picked the book for its cover (Whoops!! Really loved the colors and illustration). Didn't like it so much at first. But gets really interesting in the middle and not bad in the end. Will be reading the next book also.
James Albia
This is highly unusual for a children's fiction. I don't even think children should be reading this what with the violence in it. But sure as hell I loved reading this one.
Read_it
This book will shock you surprise you and do all manner of things.In this take on boarding school you won't know what to do laugh cry or have a heart attack.(just laugh) : )
Catherine
This was horrible. So horrible I had no clue what was going on. So horrible that I didn't finish it. And that is saying something.
Lara
This book is fantastic and funny it's such an amazing school too I love it
Emma Tate
Crazy book, but I'd like to go to this school! Good reading for kids.
Natasha
this book was a bit too realistic for me I prefer fanticy
Tina
Crazy and hilarious!
moonlight
those orphans! xD FTW!!!
John Zeleznik
John Zeleznik marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
  • Iris: Fiori di cenere
  • The Scarecrow and His Servant
  • The Ogre of Oglefort
  • The Vacation
  • Christmas Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror)
  • Ministry of Pandemonium
  • Clemency Pogue: Fairy Killer (Clemency Pogue #1)
  • Leaving the Bellweathers
  • Кладбищенские истории
  • Demonkeeper (Demonkeeper, #1)
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • The Death-Defying Pepper Roux
  • Half a World Away
  • Everything Breaks
  • The Order of Odd-Fish
  • Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms: Magic, Mystery, & a Very Strange Adventure
  • The Wikkeling
  • New Lands (The Chronicles of Egg, #2)
Andy Mulligan was brought up in the south of London. He worked as a theatre director for ten years before travels in Asia prompted him to retrain as a teacher. He has taught English and drama in India, Brazil, the Philippines and the UK. He now divides his time between London and Manila.
More about Andy Mulligan...
Trash Return to Ribblestrop (Ribblestrop, #2) The Boy With Two Heads Ribblestrop Forever (Ribblestrop, #3) A Kidnapping