Start by marking “The Family Tree Problem Solver: Proven Methods for Scaling the Inevitable Brick Wall” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Complications arising from incomplete or missing records, census irregularities, and individuals of the same name occur more often than non-genealogists might think. Respected genealogist and author Marsha Hoffman Rising helps beginners break through these "brick walls" by breaking down each researcher's common problem into a chapter with straightforward solutions. Readers ...more
Published January 2nd 2005 by Family Tree Books (first published January 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Family Tree Problem Solver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Family Tree Problem Solver

JanieceK
Apr 12, 2009 JanieceK rated it really liked it
This is a textbook. It is not for the beginning genealogist but is very helpful for organizing your thoughts, your files, and planning the next steps. Marsha Rising writes from her experience which is considerable.
Kendall
Feb 21, 2016 Kendall rated it liked it
Well written and interesting aide - a consistent methodology/approach to problem solving
Rachel
Jul 14, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
A bit of a hard book for me to review, just because it's not a novel. I think this is a neat resource for genealogists, but it's not for the beginner. It's about once you've done all the normal research, and now you are stuck in places. It gives lots of hints and case studies on what to do when you run into missing census, burned courthouses, using newspapers, land records, and other things that you don't think of right off. Will probably pull this one back out when I get more of the "easy stuff ...more
Louise
Sep 16, 2014 Louise rated it really liked it
Extremely informative, but I wish I'd read some of the other reviews before tackling it -- this book is not for the beginner. It is for genealogists who are ready to tackle some serious brick walls. I learned a lot from this book and I know I'll need to read it again someday, but I guess I'm not quite far enough along in my research to get much more than a few bits of interesting advice out of it.
Dayna
Feb 19, 2011 Dayna rated it really liked it
This only helps with research problems - unfortunately it is no help with actual problems within one's family tree! I recommend this for the intermediate to advanced researcher - it helped me think beyond my usual strategies. Many times genealogy how-to books are simplistic, but this is written by a respected professional and has valuable research techniques using helpful case studies.
Sharil
Jul 17, 2015 Sharil rated it really liked it
Shelves: genealogy
This is just an earlier edition of, "The Family Tree Problem Solver: Tried-And-True Tactics for Tracing Elusive Ancestors", published in 2011, so don't let the title fool you. The newer edition has some additions including information on DNA testing. This book format is larger than the newer edition, so if your eyes bother you, this edition may be for you.
Brenna
May 21, 2014 Brenna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It had a ton of examples and they were interesting to read how he 'connected the dots' but I was also hoping that he would have included how to obtain documents that he talked about.
Mitzi
Apr 27, 2013 Mitzi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: genealogy-books
This is a great resource for anyone who is dealing with troubling ancestors. A lot of helpful tips from an experienced genealogist!
Magda
Oct 09, 2013 Magda rated it it was amazing
My favorite genealogical writer who is now deceased .
The best of the best problem - solving Early American and interesting cases.
Marion Vermazen
Apr 25, 2015 Marion Vermazen rated it really liked it
Very useful and inspiring for genealogists
Kristine
Apr 02, 2008 Kristine rated it really liked it
I LOVE reference books & this is a great one!
Janet Collum
Janet Collum marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Richard
Richard is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2016
Mary Kay
Mary Kay marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Ariana
Ariana marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Andrew K.
Andrew K. rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Sheila
Sheila rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Kristal
Kristal rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Kim Hollstein
Kim Hollstein marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Nanci
Nanci added it
Jan 23, 2016
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
dp7
dp7 rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Lucy E. Goff
Lucy E. Goff rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Catherine Gall
Catherine Gall marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Linda Serna
Linda Serna marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace
  • The BCG Genealogical Standards Manual
  • The Source: A Guidebook of American Genealogy
  • Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy
  • Your Guide to Cemetery Research
  • Trace Your Roots with DNA: Using Genetic Tests to Explore Your Family Tree
  • They Came in Ships: A Guide to Finding Your Immigrant Ancestor's Arrival Record
  • How to Do Everything Genealogy
  • Shaking the Family Tree: Blue Bloods, Black Sheep, and Other Obsessions of an Accidental Genealogist
  • Finding Family: My Search for Roots and the Secrets in My DNA
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Genealogy
  • Everyday Life in the 1800s: A Guide for Writers, Students & Historians
  • Genealogy Online for Dummies
  • Deep Ancestry: Inside the Genographic Project
  • The Journey Takers
  • Metallurgy Fundamentals
  • Karen's School Mystery (Baby-sitters Little Sister, #57)
  • Legacy: A Step-By-Step Guide To Writing Personal History