Start by marking “A Project Guide to UX Design: For user experience designers in the field or in the making (Voices That Matter)” as Want to Read:

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  611 ratings  ·  37 reviews
“If you are a young designer entering or contemplating entering the UX field this is a canonical book. If you are an organization that really needs to start grokking UX this book is also for you. " -- Chris Bernard, User Experience Evangelist, Microsoft

User experience design is the discipline of creating a useful and usable Web site or application—one that’s easily navigat
Published (first published January 12th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Project Guide to UX Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Project Guide to UX Design

Tom Panning
This is a pretty good introduction to the usability process and methods, but if you're a "user experience designer in the field", you probably won't get much out of it. So for the "UX designers in the making", this gives enough of an overview of the methods to know when and why you would use a particular method. It also includes enough of the "how" that you could get by on a smaller project (or a larger project with a mentor). But if you need to be a self-taught UX designer, you'll need to find ...more
Wendy White
I used this book along with Steve Krug's publications on web usability to conduct my first usability testing sessions early this year. I would definitely recommend it to people starting out on UX looking for a bit of structure, or those with a moderate amount of experience who are interested in fleshing out their processes a little more.

The writing is straightforward, clear, and examples are well-laid out, with many opportunities for deeper reading online. I found myself diving in and out of thi
Jess
The greatest value of this book, at least upon a cursory skim-through, seems to lie in how it gives the completely lost UX newbie a practical framework for actually starting work on a project. That alone may be reason enough to buy this book. I will update this review when I have completed a UX={IA,IxD,webdesign} - project with reference to the process and ideas in this book.
Adam Wiggins
The emphasis is on project management of content websites, rather than information about user experience or interaction design as I had been hoping. Gave up halfway through.
Rafael Bandeira
Mar 17, 2010 Rafael Bandeira rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: designers, web developers, programmers, product managers, marketers
Recommended to Rafael by: Rafael Lüder
Here is part of my review, there's more in http://wp.me/piW5A-4A.

The book brings the entire environment and life cycle of a web application project to discussion, showing how each piece connects with others and where the UX Designer role fits into it. It also details how particular activities and tasks look like and what are the best practices for them.

But it doesn’t stop there, it goes way beyond, really deep into what a UX Designer really needs to know and do to become a proficient and useful
Graham Herrli
This book is abysmally written. At points, it takes full pages to say what could easily have been expressed in a single sentence. The visuals make me want to gouge my eyes out. However, the content makes up for the terrible writing. This book contains numerous essential details of how a UX Designer fits into a work environment--what the workflow is, the roles of coworkers, what tasks need to be performed, and when, and how. This book scopes itself ambitiously, attempting to serve as a guidebook ...more
Jennifer Hogan
A Project Guide to UX Design provides a basic overview for designers new to the UX field. Unger reviews several process of UX design including how to gather business requirements, user research, wireframes, protoypes as well as SEO considerations and how they are integrated into projects. Unger also includes many references to other books and online resources throughout for further reading.

The book's description states that it is "for user experience designers in the field or in the making," how
Marcel
Fantastic. From the perspective of a startup founder and engineer, this book provided the perfect level of detail without getting bogged down in the nitty gritty of design, statistics, or any of the other topics that deserve full books of their own.
Seriously, I couldn't have asked for a better guide through the UX landscape and how it integrates with real projects.

Highly recommended!
Sean Yo
I was not impressed by this book. At it's best, it provides useful advice on how to manage the non-UX work of being a UX Professional. At it's worst, it gets lost in vague suggestions that seem to be more about surviving office politics as a freelancer, rather than how to be awesome at UX Design or being an awesome design professional.

At a minimum, the fact that the cover design calls out the words "UX" and "Design" is a poor User Experience, in that it presents the book as being about UX Desig
Leandro
Guia de referência com dicas sobre documentação e processos básicos.
Paul Baldowski
I suspect this is one of those books that warrants a second read or finds greatest value as a springboard for projects in progress. In first read, I found value and left a lot of bookmarks, but didn't come away feeling overwhelmed with ideas and enthusiastic urgency.
Dustin
Great overview of the field, very easy to read. It'll also make a great reference book for all those UX tasks I don't do every day. There were times where I wish it was a bit more detailed or prescriptive, but I understand that it isn't the true aim of the book. Plus, there are plenty of sidebars suggesting further reading in the form of books, articles, and blog posts. Definitely recommended to anyone who does UX work or who works with people that do.
Gary Schroeder
Somewhat basic. If you already have some experience managing a web team, building websites according to customer specifications, or managing the process of helping the customer define the problem in the first place, you may not need this book. If, on the other hand, you're a newbie, you could do worse than to spend a weekend with this book. Its list of online resources alone are worth it
Becca
UX design 101; user studies, personas, business strategy, project management, client management, etc. Good reference for those who would like to know the basics of what UX designers are doing - also gives in-line recommended further reading. Not as much info on integrating UX ideas into the visual design side; an interesting read nonetheless.
David Golden
Comprehensive overview of the UX process

This book gives a process-centric view of UX projects. It's good intro material and chock full of links and references, but is inherently a mile wide and an inch deep. Fabulous if you're new to UX, but might not have lasting value.
Autumn
An essential book for digital marketers working with users, clients, and customers. Taught me in 2 weekends an entire course's worth of information, all without being overloaded. Plus it has bonus resources easily categorized for your convenience. Seriously recommend!
Rajesh Satyarthi
It has been popular and recommended books among UX Leaders but i find book to be saying most of stuff already said by other books. However if you've read any other UX book yet, i suggest start with this because it is truly comprehensive book about UX at Practice.
Gaby Prado
It was a really good book back then, it has falled behind quite a bit. Wouldn't recommend it now, but still has some basic concepts (possibly found elsewhere too).
Above all, it is focused on a waterfall-type of approach
Jaret Manuel
This is a go-to primer & all encompassing resource for new UX designers. I would highly recommend this book for those setting out in the agency & corporate design. I would not recommend this for startup hackers.
Erik
Not that the book wasn't interesting, but...I discussed it with some fairly intelligent UX folks and while they agree that there is value, this book is not the best guide for getting into UX.
Sandro
Well written and with some good insights in the planning and process from start to end of an UX Project.

It's easy to understand why is one of the most recommended books in the area.
Matt
Excellent quick overview of UX and the staple methods and processes. Not enough detail for a practitioner to use as a reliable reference book, however.
Kostiantyn Hladkov
If you can stomach such vague language, you will be disappointed with the content. The actual content regarding UX design is barely fifty-something pages
Michelle
It is a good book for beginners of IA. It doesn't go over your head. It explains things well enough to comprehend and implement efficiently.
Enrique
Its a welcome addition to my UX toolkit. It's a useful reference. It's not a perfect reference, but as far as I know that doesn't exist yet.
Yosef Waysman
Very thorough breakdown of user experience design process. Mostly describes agencies' work, but creates a good framework for all UX designers.
Jeff Stern
Great guide to UX Design. I read it prior to starting my first UX internship and it helped me feel very prepared.
Emily
A great step-by-step guide to web development from proposal through wire framing to testing and launch.
Tom
As a new student in a field partly overlapping with UX design, this book was really very helpful.
Stacey Lynn
Boring. A required text for our Information Architecture class. Very dry read.
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • Undercover User Experience: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Designing Web Navigation
  • Measuring the User Experience: Collecting, Analyzing, and Presenting Usability Metrics
  • Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
Russ Unger is the director of experience planning for Draftfcb, the largest advertising/marketing agency in the Midwest. He has been involved in the information architecture of large-scale public-facing sites for such companies as Oprah.com and United Airlines. He has taught courses in Web and interactive design and contributes to Boxes and Arrows. He also serves on the board of the Information Ar ...more
More about Russ Unger...
Designing the Conversation: Techniques for Successful Facilitation Speaker Camp: A Self-paced Workshop for Planning, Pitching, Preparing, and Presenting at Conferences Guerrilla UX Research Methods: Thrifty, Fast, and Effective User Experience Research Techniques