Start by marking “The Shifting Sands (Deltora Quest, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Shifting Sands (Deltora Quest, #4)

The Shifting Sands (Deltora Quest #4)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,231 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
When the seven gems of the magic Belt of Deltora were stolen, the evil Shadow Lord invaded the kingdom and enslaved its people. Determined to rid their land of the tyrant, Lief, Barda, and Jasmine are on a perilous journey to find the lost gems, which are hidden in fearsome places throughout the kingdom.

They have found three gems. Now they must seek the fourth, hidden in t
Mass Market Paperback, 120 pages
Published July 24th 2000 by Scholastic (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Shifting Sands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shifting Sands

Sarah Eagle
Like the third book, I felt that this installation in the Deltora Quest series took the whole thing away from the "Adventure" part. But halfway through "The Riftwere Games", which took at LEAST half of the book, I wanted the book to go back to the adventure. Surely the reason why the focus was so little placed on the gemstone and so much on this weird competition full of characters we don't know or get to care about much in a place that is entirely unfamiliar with stakes that are entirely trivia ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Shifting Sands (Deltora Quest #4), Emily Rodda
عنوان: شنهای روان؛ نویسنده: امیلی رودا؛ مترجم: محبوبه نجف خانی؛ تهران، قدیانی، 1382؛ در 160 ص، مصور، نقشه؛ فروست: در جستجوی دلتورا؛ رمان نوجوانان؛ شابک: 978964176790؛ چاپ چهارم 1386؛ چاپ پنجم 1388؛ چاپ ششم 1389؛ موضوع: جادوگری - داستانهای کودکان و نوجوانان از نویسندگان امریکایی قرن 20 م
David prieto
Jun 03, 2015 David prieto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The shifting sands is one book book a a series .It starts out as three companions the flaming city of rats but there escape route is a un forgiving desert that has no water . Buy as they continue there escape they come across wise fish that save one of the companions life by shielding him from an evil bird.But as they continue they come across the games Wich they can win one million coins and as Luke finds them they win but as they are trying to get out of the city because they were warned that ...more
Marchel
Jan 25, 2011 Marchel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cerita keempat tentang petualangan Lief, Barda, n Jasmine dalam menemukan 7 permata Deltora yg direbut Raja Bayangan dan disebar serta disembunyikan di 7 tempat paling menyeramkan di tanah Deltora.

Di cerita ini, kita mengenal daerah tengah ke utara dari negeri Deltora. Kota Rithmere yg mereka datangi ternyata sedang mengadakan Sayembara Rithmere. Mendapatkan sekutu tak terduga, dan hasil Sayembara yg tak disangka.

Bunda Brightly yg begitu mereka percayai ternyata merupakan anak buah Raja Bayangan
McKenzie Richardson
A great continuation of the series. While the characters get a little irriating as they often seem almost hopelessly clueless as to what to do next (at one point, Kree,the bird has to advise them because they couldn't figure out a simple solution for themselves), but the writing is good and I love the story. A great adventure book for young readers. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series as the companions venture to find the last three gems.
Sebastian
Sep 15, 2014 Sebastian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great book because it has action it is suspenseful and the plot is amazing he has to find all of the gems before the shadow lord finds the heir to the city of deltora and kills him if the shadow lords does find him then deltora and the rest of the world will be doomed and each gem has a power to help him on his way like the opal gives a glimpse to the future if you touch the ruby pales in the presence of evil and also cures venom.Overall i think this is a great book i recommend pe ...more
Amanda Logo
May 05, 2013 Amanda Logo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great installment! Seth and I have been having a blast reading these books together! Man! What other amazing children's fantasy/fiction stories did I miss out on because I never found a love for reading when I "had" to read!?!!?!!!?! Just another reason to be thankful to my children! Another curse-turned-blessing! Not only did I develop a love for reading when I was "forced" to help my first child with his reading, but now that it is fully developed, I can enjoy reading with all four of ...more
Stacy
Another read aloud. This one I snuck out of the boys room last night after reading chapter five to them so I could finish it on the couch. :)

I really like these books. In this, the fourth book, the three companions are fleeing the burning City of Rats and soon find themselves on the road to Rithmere. Desperately in need of supplies and coin, they travel to the city when they hear that contestant are swarming to the town to win 1.000 pieces of gold in a contest.

With pockets empty, they decide to
Ellison Huang
Sep 09, 2015 Ellison Huang rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves adventure
Recommended to Ellison by: A friend
Shelves: assingment, pleasure
I think this book is great, it is book #4 in the wonderful Deltora Quest Series, about a wild orphaned girl named Jasmine, a boy called Lief, and a old palace guard named barda, and their adventures to save the city of deltora.
Monika
Mar 21, 2014 Monika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Journey continues and in this part I didn't find anything special or very exciting. It was well written. Some chapters more interesting than others. A bit struggle to finish but in overall quite decent.
Emma
Mar 31, 2016 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lief, Barda and Jasmine continue their quest for the gems to put on the Deltora Belt, to save the realm from darkness. Their adventure in this book continues in the desert of the shifting sands... what happens next?
Janeen-san
The "evil" Shadow Lord of the Darklands of Deltora is on a rampage! This time he did the unthinklabe:
He stole the magical gems from the Belt of Deltora and hid them all over the univirse.
Leif, Barda, and Jasmine have re-discovered three of the gems, and now they are looking for the fourth.
They must journey into the dessert of the Shifting Sands...can they survive ten-bellied crab-spiders, sand storms, AND assains?
I thought this book was just as chessy as the rest of them. The characters were for
Katie W
I thought this one was the most intense and adventurous book of the series so far. My kids really enjoyed it (I read it aloud) and wanted to read more and more each night. The creative characters and situations really lead to some fun imaginings and discussions. Looking forward to the next book!
Richard
Jun 24, 2016 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deltora Quest is a wonderful series for both girls and boys. Rodda has a wonderful turn of phrase that keeps you coming back for more.
Lucky Lion
This book was my least favourite of all the books, because I found it disturbing, and I didn't like how easily they gained the fourth gem.
Iri
May 30, 2015 Iri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deltora
Reread 30. 5. 2015

Čím víc dílů znovu čtu, tím víc vidím, jak je postava Bardy nedotažená. Jasmína se dá, ta je prostě ta divoká holka, co se s ničím nemaže, zvířátka jsou roztomilý, chytrý bonus, který zjemňuje Jasmíninu náturu. Lief je jednoduše hlavní postavou, na kterou dopadá největší podíl z vyprávění. Ale Barda se zdá být jen nepříliš dospěle uvažujicím podržtaškou s horou svalů, zachraňující zbytek, když je situace pořádně nahnutá.
A k příběhu - vymyslet si ženskou, co je zároveň "úlem",
Shannon
May 05, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Emily rodda. What isn't good about that? How did I miss these as a kid? Rectifying this situation now and I'm loving it.
Ilga
Jul 25, 2016 Ilga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-liana
The quest for stones continues, still enjoying this series (see my review of the first book).
Diane
May 20, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens-ya
Must son thought this one was amazing. And indeed it was very, very good.
Dilan
In this book they leave the rat city. Now Lief and his friends go towards rithmere. In Rithmere they play a game so that they could win money. Jasmine plays and finds her skill.

I connect this book to me because when i play a game i find something about myself. I find my skill and special ability's. That is why i can connect to this part of the book. I'm sure that other people can relate as well.

Like the last book i didn't get so into the book. I barely finished it. The first book was the best.
Hilarie
May 24, 2016 Hilarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My kids love this series so much. A great read aloud for kids.
Arian
Aug 25, 2012 Arian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the seven gems of magic Belt of Deltora where stolen, the evil Shadow Lord invaded the kingdom and enslaved its people. Determined to rid their land of tyrant, Lief, Barda and Jasmine are on a dangerous quest to find the lost gems which are hidden in fearsome places throughout the kingdom. They have found three gems. Now they must seek the fourth, hidden in a shimmering barren waste, kept jealously by an unknown guardian. Separation, confusion, and strange, terrible enemies await Lief, Bard ...more
Johnny Bennett
Apr 15, 2013 Johnny Bennett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the things I like about this series, despite being written to a formula, the ending is in random spots in the story. They are looking for jewels scattered across the map. so basic formula, they leave the region of the last jewel run into trouble finding the new jewel, overcome that jewel, and recoup for the next leg. But the author sometimes has leaving the region at the beginning of a book or the end of the previous book. Sometimes they find the jewel and the story ends. Sometimes they f ...more
Alonika
I should have read this when I was a kid.
Jesse
Sep 16, 2014 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cool story it's a lot like Legend of Zelda
Brad
Jun 16, 2010 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary age kids and their parents
Wow, best of the series so far. Maybe because I really like fighting tournaments in my books? I also liked that there were three different conmen, as those types of characters are often interesting. Lastly, the creatures in the sand (like on the cover and the guardian of the stone) are very cool conceptually; moreso than previous guardians.

Rating: PG for some action / fantasy violence.

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

The sand itself as a living creature? It treasures things that are slow to corrode or decay.
Telisha
Mar 17, 2016 Telisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Great for ages 8-12.
Questing and adventure.
Fantasy Nebula
Sep 19, 2014 Fantasy Nebula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is the best!
Saeed dourandish
lif , barda va jasmin , 3hamsafari hastand ke tanha noghteye moshtarakeshan , nefrat az doshmani vahed ast. anha baraye peyda kardane 7 gohare jadoiie kamarband nacharand dast be jost o johaye khatar naki bezanand
zira tanha zamani ke kamarband kamel shavad arbabe saye ha sarnegoon mishavad.
anha 3 gohar ra peyda kardeand va hala be donbale be dast avardane 4 gohar hastand ke dar biabani barahoot penhan shode ast.
jodaii , ashoftegi va doshmanani vahshatnak da azmone sakhte shenhaye ravan be enteza
Rebecca
  • Master of the Books
  • The Wizard's Statue (Circle of Magic #3)
  • Night of the Shifter's Moon (Unicorns of Balinor, #7)
  • Soltra The Stone Charmer (Beast Quest, #9)
  • White Crane (Samurai Kids, #1)
  • Clovermead: In the Shadow of the Bear
  • Sticky Beak
  • Hazel Green
  • Dragon Secrets (OutCast, #2)
  • The Mask of Maliban (The Secrets of Droon, #13)
  • Team Rocket Blasts Off! (Pokemon Chapter Books #5)
  • The World's Worst Fairy Godmother
Emily Rodda (real name Jennifer Rowe) was born in Sydney, Australia and graduated from the University of Sydney in 1973 with an MA (Hons) in English Literature. Moving into a publishing career, first as a book editor, and finally as a publisher at Angus & Robertson, Rodda's first book was published in 1984.
More about Emily Rodda...

Deltora Quest (8 books)
  • The Forests of Silence (Deltora Quest #1)
  • The Lake of Tears (Deltora Quest, #2)
  • City of the Rats (Deltora Quest, #3)
  • Dread Mountain (Deltora Quest, #5)
  • The Maze of the Beast (Deltora Quest, #6)
  • The Valley of the Lost (Deltora Quest, #7)
  • Return to Del (Deltora Quest, #8)