Start by marking “True Discipleship” as Want to Read:
True Discipleship

True Discipleship

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Foreword: "This booklet is an attempt to set forth some principles of New Testament discipleship. Some of us have seen these principles in the Word for years, but somehow concluded that they were too extreme and impractical for the complicated age in which we live. And so we surrendered to the chill of our spiritual environment.

"Then we met a group of young believers who s
Published 1962 by Walterick Publishers

To ask other readers questions about True Discipleship, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Discipleship

Davina W.
What a challenging read.
I just flipped through it for a seminary, but with a lot of additional bible study and questions, so I really explored its themes deeply. But I will read it again, when I have more time, because this book is full of topics I have to re-evaluate my whole life.
'True Discipleship' will challenge your way of life and your commitment to Jesus. Please read it, but beware: you might get angry at first when you do read it. It can be hard to accept the Lord's claim to our life. S
Florian
May 16, 2015 Florian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discipleship
Was a good read.
The content was precise and minimalistic, straight to the point.
Huge parts of the book dealt with the disciple's relation to money and wealth.
This was also the most challenging part.

William MacDonald's simple straight to the point writing style is his strength and at the same time, sometimes his weakness.
Depending on what type of person you are. Sometimes I just don't want short answers on complex issues, because sometimes short answers are just not enough.
And sometimes that just
Anthony
May 22, 2012 Anthony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a powerful book that will help shape a person's mindset to being far more Christ-like. There are sections I disagree with quite strongly, but even there my faith has been expanded as I have explored the biblical basis for my contrary view. The study guide section is a simple but effective tool for turning this into a great group work-book. Buy it! Read it! Apply it! See the kingdom grow.
Eric T.
Aug 24, 2009 Eric T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
If you read one book on Christian living, prayerfully consider making it this one.
Joseph
Dec 03, 2011 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I have very mixed feelings about this book, but the positives make it crucial enough to be worth reading.

In short, the thesis of the book is that, as God's servants, it is really important to use our wealth and resources to serve his kingdom. This should not be done in a vague sort of way, but in a way that manifests itself in our every day lives. Being sold out to God, our disposable income should be used not for luxury items, but for His kingdom. For many American Christians, this means a radi
Alina Lupsa
Feb 25, 2015 Alina Lupsa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
”De fapt, credința este ceva foarte rațional. Ce este oare mai rațional ca o creatură să se încreadă în Creatorul ei? Este oare nebunie să crezi în Cineva care nu poate nici minți, nici greși, nici să Se înșele? Încrederea în Dumnezeue este cel mai rațional, mai inteligent și mai înțelept lucru pe care îl poateface omul.”
Nicholas Ming
Oct 17, 2014 Nicholas Ming rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-books
Life impacting book on Discipleship
Brett Fuglsby
Mar 17, 2016 Brett Fuglsby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title says it all.
Dan
Dec 14, 2007 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Believers
I have read this book 10+ times, both alone and with groups. Following Christ with a whole heart really starts with counting the cost. William MacDonald has stated both the costs and the surpassing value of Christ in such a simple yet profound way that it challenges my commitment every time I read it.
J'pkorir Rose
Heroic following is what Jesus/my Faith calls for, this book page after page reminded me of heroic following and that He is Emmanuel - God with us
John
Aug 20, 2012 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!! One of the most soul convicting books I have ever read. A spiritual smack upside the head!
James Njoroge
Aug 14, 2013 James Njoroge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is life transforming...counting the cost
Jeff
Jul 09, 2009 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Kitty
Kitty rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Sylvia Moran
Sylvia Moran marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Nathan Wells
Nathan Wells rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Patrick Nagle
Patrick Nagle marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Chelsea Nelson
Chelsea Nelson rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Thomas G Ray
Thomas G Ray marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Jeanie
Jeanie marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Charlie
Charlie rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Jaime Wong
Jaime Wong rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Matthew Gillette
Matthew Gillette rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Ram
Ram marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
  • Hell's Best Kept Secret
  • The Power of Prayer: And the Prayer of Power
  • Prophets and Personal Prophecy
  • Fool's Gold?: Discerning Truth in an Age of Error
William MacDonald (1917-2007) had, for more than forty years, written directly about the key issues of Christianity. Leaving a promising business career as an employed investment analyst with First National Bank of Boston "at the foot of the Cross", he had traveled worldwide, proclaiming the unsearchable riches of Christ.

His more than over eighty-four works published in North America are characte
More about William MacDonald...

“God pours out his choicest blessings on those who are anxious that nothing shall stick to their hands. Individuals who value the rainy day above the present agony of the world will get no blessing from God.” 5 likes
“The life of faith does not follow automatically when a person becomes a Christian. It requires deliberate action on his part. This is especially true in affluent society. The believer must put himself in a position where he is compelled to trust God...It is only as he gets rid of his reserves and other false supports that he can truly launch out into the deep.” 3 likes