Start by marking “The Pumpkin Patch” as Want to Read:
The Pumpkin Patch

The Pumpkin Patch

Text and photographs describe the activities in a pumpkin patch, as pink-colored seeds become fat pumpkins, ready to be carved into jack-o'-lanterns.
Published September 1st 1996 by Puffin (first published September 6th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Pumpkin Patch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pumpkin Patch

Hailey
Mar 28, 2016 Hailey rated it liked it
Shelves: child-lit
This book is about how pumpkins grow on farms and what farmers do with them to make them grow and how they are used after they sprout. It tells about how the farmers start planting in July and the pumpkins sprout from vines with yellow flowers on them. Around September farmers begin to decorate their pumpkin patches for Halloween so customers will buy them and turn them into jackolantorns or decorate their houses.
I liked this book because it shows some parts about pumpkin patches I didn't reali
Ashlynn Armstrong
Jan 24, 2016 Ashlynn Armstrong rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book explained the life span of how pumpkins start off as just seeds and their life span. I learned several interesting facts about pumpkins while reading this book. Pumpkins start off just as small seeds, but they are coated with a pink dust so underground insects do not eat them while they are under the ground. They then grow up to be orange pumpkins that anyone can pick out and take them home with them.

I enjoyed this book in the sense that I could relate to some of the things I was readi
Shelby Haltom
Mar 31, 2016 Shelby Haltom rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book really gets the reader ready for pumpkin picking, that is for sure. This book is great, and the photographs really bring it to life. King does a great job of using voice within her nonfiction book.
I like this book, and it certainly makes me wish it were fall instead of spring. This book would be great to read before a field trip to the pumpkin patch with a class or a family.
I would love to read this book in my class.
Maddie Taylor
Mar 31, 2016 Maddie Taylor rated it really liked it
The Pumpkin Patch is a cute little book that shows the growth of a pumpkin seed and its entire life cycle. I thought It was neat to be able to gain more knowledge on pumpkins and how creative you can be with them through a small book. I love that the illustrations are photographs!! I feel like they draw a child’s attention and help bring the words to life! I would definitely use this book in my classroom!
I think this would be great to use in a science lesson or for discussing Fall!
Melanie
Fun book to check out from the library and read before or after you head to the pumpkin patch. You learn about how a pumpkin comes to be up to carving it for your own jack 'o lantern. Potentially scary photo of witch at pumpkin patch inside the book. For similar story, but better read try "Pumpkins" by Ken Robbins.
Jennifer Oaks
This book is very simple and describes the life cycle of a pumpkin. It would be great to use in a science lesson or for Fall. The illustrations are photographics which makes the book so realistic and attractive to children.
Audrey Harlan
Nov 25, 2010 Audrey Harlan rated it really liked it
This is a non-fiction book about pumpkins and the pumpkin patch. I used this book during a lesson about fact and opinion. The book was full of facts and allowed students to build off of their prior knowledge.
Maren Prestegaard
Nov 16, 2013 Maren Prestegaard rated it liked it
Shelves: fall
I prefer Pumpkin Circle myself.
Jake Reynolds
Jake Reynolds rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2011
Erica Flory
Erica Flory rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2008
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2011
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Keely Shannon
Keely Shannon rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Lisa Hanson
Lisa Hanson rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Chloe
Chloe rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2010
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Molly
Molly rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Christie Angleton
Christie Angleton rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Oscar
Oscar rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Roxy
Roxy rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2010
Jenny
Jenny added it
Jul 12, 2009
Kivette
Kivette marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2010
Caitlyn Zajac
Caitlyn Zajac marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2010
Erin
Erin added it
Jul 25, 2011
Sarahi
Sarahi added it
Oct 13, 2011
Destinee
Destinee marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013
Toby
Toby added it
Nov 10, 2013
Hazara Tul
Hazara Tul marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Misty
Misty added it
Jul 26, 2014
Carolyn Bronk
Carolyn Bronk marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Sarah added it
Oct 26, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
WCNS
WCNS marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015