Start by marking “Sons of Dorn” as Want to Read:
Sons of Dorn

Sons of Dorn (Warhammer 40,000)

Sons of Dorn is a thrilling new Imperial Fists novel featuring a memorable cast of characters and intergalactic action. Original.
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published December 29th 2009 by Games Workshop (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sons of Dorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sons of Dorn

Jeff
Jan 04, 2010 Jeff rated it it was ok
Shelves: military, sci-fi
It's a familiar tale: enemy warriors fighting a desperate battle only to be snatched up and put through a grueling series of tests and implantations to become Astartes. Eventually they learn to be a team and work together (or die) as scouts, neophytes, etc. If you've read the Space Wolves Omnibus (specifically Space Wolf) by William King then you know the story. Honestly, if you're a Space marine fan of any sort you likely are familiar with the story already. That's all there is to know, right?

W
Student Teacher
Feb 25, 2011 Student Teacher rated it it was ok
This book by Chris Roberson tells the tale of some Imperial Fists as they go from being "regular" humans through their induction into the Fists, their time as scouts and their eventual elevation to full battle brothers.

This book is interesting because in the book Heroes of the Space Marines which was published a year or so ago, we see the main characters in the short story Gauntlet Run. So this first story falls somewhere in the timeline of the novel, but isn't really discussed.

This wasn't a bad
Max
Mar 03, 2010 Max rated it it was ok
If you're a fan of the setting, add a star.
Jimmy
Sep 30, 2010 Jimmy rated it it was ok
Shelves: 40k
Andrew Ziegler
Aug 04, 2011 Andrew Ziegler rated it liked it
When I saw that this book was coming down the pike I was instantly drawn to it. The BL has been consistently putting out awesome 40K fiction over the last few years, and anything to do with the Marines is a draw for me. I did not care that I did not recognize the author, plus learning more about the Iron Fists beyond what the Heresy series had revealed was appealing to me. That being said, it took me 300 pages to actually care about anything that was going on. I really had a hard time with the c ...more
Trevor Vallender
Apr 17, 2011 Trevor Vallender rated it did not like it
I decided to read this ignoring the mostly negative reviews on Amazon and elsewhere. I regretted it.

Roberson's writing endlessly repeats things, patronising the reader beyond belief. He seems to believe if he doesn't restate who wants to kill who on each page we might get confused, and forget. The story is overlong and simplistic, the emotion heavy-handed.

There are a few redeeming factors - for a 40K nerd reading the details of the transition into a Space Marine is interesting, and at times the
Joshtafari
Feb 18, 2010 Joshtafari rated it did not like it
Shelves: tbb-2010
Even if your yardstick is other Warhammer novels, this one doesn't measure up. Disappointing, because I've liked what I've read of Roberson's original work. Skip it.
Michael Borunda
Aug 08, 2012 Michael Borunda rated it it was amazing
Another one that will bring tears to your eyes. Dying for your brothers selflessly is an example we all should follow.
Scooter
Aug 11, 2011 Scooter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad read, although I thought the storyline cut a little to similar to the novel Space Marine by Ian Watson.
Pauline Rhodes
Sep 08, 2015 Pauline Rhodes rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book if you wish to know about the Imperial fists space-marines and the way you build a chapter in in. Warhammer Universe.

Thomas Zakrzewski
Sep 10, 2011 Thomas Zakrzewski rated it really liked it
Shelves: black-library
An awesome book. My 2nd Black Library book. It really gives you the feeling of becoming a space marine of the 7th Founding chapter, The Emperor's Imperial Fists. It was a good read.
Tony Wallace
Tony Wallace rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2013
Marc Jones
Marc Jones rated it did not like it
Dec 29, 2014
Werner
Werner rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2012
August Teofanov
August Teofanov rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2011
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Fırat Koçyiğit
Fırat Koçyiğit rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Efti
Efti rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Kirk Wells
Kirk Wells rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Clyde Wolfe
Clyde Wolfe rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Hriczó Gábor
Hriczó Gábor rated it did not like it
Mar 16, 2016
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
Jonas
Jonas rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Joshua
Joshua rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Steve Pettifer
Steve Pettifer rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2015
Bjarne Mortensen
Bjarne Mortensen rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Jim Persson
Jim Persson rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2011
G1336
G1336 rated it did not like it
Mar 21, 2013
Mike Barbour
Mike Barbour rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Chapter War (Soul Drinkers, #4)
  • Salamander
  • Sons of Fenris
  • Legends of the Space Marines
  • Lord of the Night
  • Farseer
Chris Roberson is a science fiction author and publisher based in Austin, Texas, best known for alternate history novels and short stories.
More about Chris Roberson...

Warhammer 40,000 (1 - 10 of 880 books)
  • Horus Rising (The Horus Heresy, #1)
  • False Gods