Start by marking “Plague Zone (Plague, #3)” as Want to Read:
Plague Zone (Plague, #3)

Plague Zone (Plague #3)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  361 ratings  ·  23 reviews
First Earth was devastated by the machine plague, a runaway nanotechnology that devoured all warm-blooded organisms below altitudes of ten thousand feet. Then the remnants of humankind turned on one another, provoking a brief, furious world war and the invasion of North America. Now Russia and Chinese armies hold California against the battered forces of the U.S.-Canadian ...more
Published November 24th 2009 by Ace (first published October 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Plague Zone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plague Zone

David
I think it's safe to say that if you enjoyed the first two books in this series, you'll enjoy this one. Jeff Carlson exercises his completely unique storytelling abilities to good effect in this final volume.

I am left impressed with the scope and detail of the series as a whole. I believe the near future is incredibly difficult to write in a convincing way - particularly when it concerns huge, world-changing events. I've read plenty of apocalyptic stories. And don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed
Audrey
I love post-apocalyptic fiction, the darker the better. The first two books in Jeff Carlson's trilogy didn't disappoint, both were great reads chronicling the epic struggle of a world in the after math of a machine plague. I was anxious to start Plague Zone but life kept intruding. When I was finally able to open the book, I couldn't put it down. It can easily be enjoyed as a stand-alone story but you'll be missing out if you don't read Plague War and Plague Year.

Three years after a nanotech pla
Gregoire
Feb 14, 2015 Gregoire rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
j'ai lu avec intérêt le t1 trouvant la psychologie des personnages et la description du monde ravagé très prenante et plutôt crédible Il n'est pas impossible qu'une catastrophe planétaire due à une manipulation de virus ou de nouvelle technologie nous guette ..Malheureusement, les deux séquelles ( Plague War /Plague Zone) ne m'ont pas convaincu Je n'ai pas adhéré à cette guerre des états survivants (US versus Russie Versus Chine) alors justement que la survie en tant qu'espèce même est en danger ...more
Wow. What an excellent ending to an excellent trilogy! Jeff Carlson’s Plague Year books were probably the best I’ve read in the last twelve months, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the final instalment, Plague Zone, was the strongest book in the trilogy. Not only was it as tense and exciting as the others, it also managed to be a satisfying conclusion, which is no mean feat.

In the aftermath of the nanotech plague Ruth Goldman, Cam Navarjo, and their small band of survivors have s
Dirk
Third book in this series about the world after a nanomachine plague has wiped out most of the life on earth. I liked the first one and the second was ok, but I just didn’t get into this one too much. Ended up skimming it a lot.
L.
In some ways "Plague Zone" is less of a third book in a trilogy and more of a stand-alone from the first two books. We find all of the same characters carrying on as you'd expect after "Plague War" but the real plot comes from a new direction. It grows naturally from the situation developed in the first two books but Carlson introduces enough new characters and scenarios that "Plague Zone" has a unique feel. This book feels bigger than the others and in fact it's longer. The mix of favorite char ...more
Grampy
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

"Plague Zone" by uber-talented Jeff Carlson is a brilliant conclusion to the "Plague" trilogy. These three works of art will make a much more complete story if read in order. In a pinch any of them will work as a stand-alone. However, without knowing who the characters are, or what their history is, you will be short-changing yourself.

In "Plague Zone" our lead characters have embarked on an ambitious program to establish a p
Erika
In Plague Zone, Jeff Carlson uses the last few pages of the first chapter to revisit what’s happened in the previous two books. Usually, these kind of summaries bother me, but in this case I was glad. It’d been so long since I read Plague War that I’d forgotten exactly what happened. Plague Zone not only filled in the gaps, but delivered where I felt the previous two were lacking. Having stopped the widespread distribution of yet another evolution of the machine plague that first ravaged across ...more
Andrew
Ok I found it! And now finished it. This was the last in the trilogy and to be honest the easiest and quickest to read. The book is really one long scene played over many of the remaining characters you are introduced to in earlier books. Where as the first two volumes had long treks and journeys where characters were introduced, developed and set in place for some further storyline (which appears to have been all focused on this book), this volume really is one long final confrontation. I could ...more
Felicia A
Third installment in this series....another win. The writing is excellent, the plot is fantastic, and the characters are well drawn and real. I don't know if the nanotech science is real (not saying it isn't, I just don't enough about nanotech to know if it is), but it's totally believeable, and the author has done some amazing research.

This series is depressing. The world Mr. Carlson has created through the three books is appallingly dismal. The entire world is in an upheaval, people have died
Gendou
Overly violent, like the second book, but also rich in creative use and description of nanotechnology. By now, the main characters are pretty clear, and this reader was very invested in them. What I appreciate most in Carlson's writing is that technology isn't a substitute for magic, but instead, has practical limitations, while still being of central importance to the plot.

Though I'm not sure about the speed at which the Plague nanotechnology acts on its hosts... Wouldn't it take hours to multi
Santiago Granados
Esta tercera entrega de la saga a todas luces sobra. No solo aporta poco a la historia global, partiendo de que la segunda entrega ya nos brinda un final coherente y suficiente, sino que además presenta incoherencias sustanciales con el resto de la historia. Por poner un ejemplo, la plaga de nanobots, que en las dos primeras entregas, causa consecuencias por igual en todos los seres humanos que entran en contacto con la misma, en esta nueva entrega la plaga parece haberse vuelto selectiva y su c ...more
Mike Cavosie
Can "apocalypse" be plural?
LadyCroft86
This book was as exciting and good as the other two. However, I was really disappointed with the ending. It didn't feel like it ended. I have no idea what even happened at the end. It didn't seem that anything was resolved with the nanotech or between Ruth and Cam. Still a good book, just would have been better if the ending made sense and closed up some stuff.
Doug
Dave
Excellent finale to the Plague trilogy. Faster paced than the previous two, this wraps up the series very well. The characters stay true to form, and there are a few surprises on the way. The Chinese as the 'baddies' make believable reading and the final fight scene is very well done. Great book, great series.
Greg Collver
The review I read made it sound better than it actually was. It was not so bad that I didn't finish it. Short on science, long on fiction, lots of monkey talk, it got tiresome. Maybe this, maybe that, maybe this other thing, it got really tiresome.
Brad
Jul 27, 2010 Brad added it
Shelves: scifi
Unlikeable characters, false emotions. Just not very good or interesting. It get's two stars for at least being in the post apocaluptic genre and for being fast paced. Otherwise, you can skip this series.
Pat Toth-Smith
This is the third in a series of a science fiction human caused disaster that pushes civilized society to the brink.. loved it..
Chrystine
great continuation of story, but needed a more satisfying end, as it is a trilogy.
Autumn
Excellent finish to the trilogy. I didn't care much for how it ended but I don't know how else it could have gone.
Aaron Spiegel
disappointed, not nearly as good as first two
Evan B
Zombies? Really?
Ben Gilman
Ben Gilman is currently reading it
May 23, 2015
Umur Duman
Umur Duman marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
  • Dying to Live: Last Rites (Dying to Live, #3)
  • Apocalypse End: Reign of the Dead
  • Afterage
  • Long Voyage Back
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • Kings of the Dead
  • The Last Gasp
  • Autumn: Purification
  • Renewal
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
  • Mutated  (Dead World, #4)
  • The Last Mailman: Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Zombies
  • The Miocene Arrow (Greatwinter Trilogy #2)
  • Quarantined
  • Twilight of the Dead
  • Deluge of the Dead  (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #3)
  • Mad Swine: The Beginning
  • Directive 51
Jeff Carlson is the international bestselling author of "Plague Year," "Interrupt" and "The Frozen Sky." To date, his work has been translated into sixteen languages worldwide. His new novel is "Frozen Sky 2: Betrayed."

Readers can find free fiction, contests, videos and more on his web site at http://www.jverse.com
More about Jeff Carlson...

Plague (3 books)
  • Plague Year (Plague, #1)
  • Plague War (Plague, #2)
Plague Year (Plague, #1) The Frozen Sky: The Novel Plague War (Plague, #2) Interrupt Frozen Sky 2: Betrayed