Living Low Carb: Controlled-Carbohydrate Eating for Long-Term Weight Loss

Living Low Carb: Controlled-Carbohydrate Eating for Long-Term Weight Loss

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Living low carb just gets better and better! This thorough revision of Jonny Bowden’s comprehensive guide includes all the newest data that support the long-term health benefits of a contemporary low-carbohydrate eating plan.

Bowden explains how low-carb diets work, and helps readers choose and customize the program that’s best for their own long-term weight-loss and optima...more
Published January 5th 2010 by Sterling (first published December 20th 2003)

Raechelle Thomas
I absolutely love this book. Jonny Bowden makes so much sense. He makes it so easy to understand the effects of carbs on everything from hormones and insulin, to fat burning, cholesterol and triglycerides. I'm only on page 42, but realise we already eat fairly low carb-and now I'm glad of it after learning how carbs truly affect the body. If you read only one book on the above subjects, read this one. Jonny Bowden really spells it out for all of us to understand.
Kristen
Lots of good information. A lot I had heard before--insulin causes fat storage, lowering insulin levels leads to fat loss, etc. I learned a lot too--mostly about the effects of different fats on the body and about inflammation. That chapter was a lightbulb moment for me. I suddenly understood all the hype about salmon and omega-3s. I was disappointed that he never addressed an issue particular to me (and I'm sure others): food allergies that are NOT typically addressed by low carb diets. In my c...more
Helen
Amazing book under unpretentious cover: comprehensive review of the history and available now low carbohydrates diets. Including the history of fallacy of the high carbohydrates and low fat diet.

Well supported, but not overburdened, short, clear, to the point. Emotional, humorous, tense, very informative. Especially at the beginning, history section. When reviewing popular diets, author is being rather diplomatic and polite without compromising essentials.

Written for a mass reader, it doesn't t...more
May 08, 2011 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in good health
Recommended to Jennifer by: Amazon
No wonder our country is gaining in girth. The low-fat diet is making us fat. The food pyramid is all wrong.

This book convincingly explains why so many Americans are overweight and unhealthy. Insulin makes us fat; eating sugar and starches produces insulin. This is the cause of heart problems and possibly other health conditions, including cancer. Eating low-carb foods and choosing high quality foods will produce weight loss and improved health. The right kinds of fat can help us lose weight. Ev...more
Arizonagirl
I have been educating myself on the science of low carb diets. There are several low carb diet books out there, but this one is different since the author briefly describes many of the popular low carb diet books out there. There is also a FAQ section and the chapters are designed to be read in any order. It would be a good low carb reference book to keep on hand.
Suzyn
This is a nerd's dream diet book- Not only does it contain the usual science for low carb eating and lots of general advice, it compares 38 different low carb diets and tells you what they have in common and how they differ. My favorite thing about the book is that the author clearly knows most of the authors of the other books and considers them friends. He seems to go out of his way to be nice to everybody who isn't a total quack. I picked it up expected the usual "my diet or the highway" and...more
Jodi
As a long-time convert to the 'bread and pasta are NOT health foods' idea, and someone who has read a fair few books on this subject, I was surprised that I learned as much from this book as I did. While I didn't agree with all of the author's conclusions, it's a really interesting read.

A lot of the focus is on weight loss, but there is also a fair bit of information about the health effects of a controlled carb diet plan, as well as diets such as the paleo diet.

This book would be a great introd...more
Wanda
How did he get all that information in a few hundred (well, four) pages? In addition to a rundown of the advantages of lower carbs over low fat, there's an overview of 38 plans and 5 fitness books, FAQ's, a chapter on supplements and diet drugs, low carb mythbusters, and 50 + tips for making low carb work for you. But wait! there's more - you also get a sizable list of resources and support including web links and end notes citing all the books and studies referenced in this very readable book....more
Tasha
I found the book to be beneficial because of the author's examination of other popular healthy diets. When paired with Atkins, The Schwarzbein Principle, and or the Zone diet (all which I have read on and tried) "Living the Low Carb" life can help educate diet conscious eaters who combat cravings and suffer from low blood sugar. Can I avoid bread as a result of the read? Not always; At least now I recognize the consequences of my actions and limit those carb intakes.

[The book is packed with res...more
Kimberly
This is a great book to learn about popular low carb diets from an informative perspective to help make the best decision for someone who might need to reduce carbs in their diet. My conclusion was to explore either Atkins or South Beach Diet after reading it. However, there were several other diets detailed and for sure there has to be one that works for you- author breaks it by lifestyle, economics, etc. Finally, hopefully like me you'll feel that you were able to make in an informed decision...more
Jim
Aug 21, 2007 Jim rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a sensible weight loss program
Bowden is a certified nutritionist and trainer who gives sensible advice. He tells why low carb diets work physiologically and reviews the leading low carb diet plans on the market. This is the place to start if you are thinking about trying out South Beach or the Zone or a similar plan. Bowden also gives detailed reviews on what supplements are helpful for low carb dieting, especially those supplements that will give an extra boost to your metabolism. This is good advice from a level headed nut...more
Sue Trav
I have read a lot of diet and low carb books lately and this one is the best by far. I folded over so many pages to go back and look at again after my first read through. He covers all the diets, general nutrition, talks about excess insulin and what it does to our bodies and tells us what supplements we should be taking. I borrowed this from the library but there is so much information in here I am gong to buy a copy!
loafingcactus
The tone of the book is very collegial and kind as Bowden praises some diet authors, erm, more than others. The book is solid and grasps the few worthwhile ideas from each of the other books. I had read Bernstein first, amongst other things, so I had a good background in what was being discussed. Otherwise it may be a bit too note-like to follow easily.
Barbra
Feb 27, 2013 Barbra added it
This book falls in the category of Wheat Belly and Good Calories, Bad Calories. The science behind what the author says is very interesting and makes a lot of sense. The author also writes in a way that makes the information very accessible.
David Davies
Really interesting research and information. Johnny clearly explains why low fat diets do not work. This book is a very good reference for how to change your long term eating habits and lose weight without feeling hungry.
Caridad
This book was extremely informative. It explains a few diets that follow the low carb style and his added comments for each diet and who would benefit from it. I loved the supplement chapter.
Allison Severson
I will continue to use this book as a reference. Bowden details many specific low carb diets and writes about his opinions on each- good, bad, and why it may or may not be a good choice for you.
This book cuts to the chase on all the differenct low carb diets out there. You can read up on each one to see what might work for you. Low carbing is definitely the way to go!!
Lynneth
a good reference for those interested in low carb way of life. Helps one choose from the current low-carb plans or has tips in the back of the book for starting out on your own.
Karie
This was an excellent overview of low carb eating, the various low carb plans out there, and the many compelling reasons for switching to a low carb way of life.
Kimberly Chapman
Basically, a brief rehash of Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories.

Also includes a comparison of popular low-carb/paleo eating plans.
Les Gehman
This was the book I used to review the various low-carb diets and decide which one was right for me.
Elizabeth
Nicely sums up and rates various low carb plans -- very helpful.
Julie
Very interesting with great scientific/medical explanations.
John Kaess
Lots of comparisons and evaluations of various low carb type plans.
Sally
Very good information on the world of low carb eating.
Jonny Bowden, PhD, CNS, also known as “THE ROGUE NUTRITIONIST” is a board-certified nutritionist with a master’s degree in psychology and the best-selling author of thirteen books including “The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth”, “Living Low Carb”, and “The Most Effective Natural Cures on Earth”. He has appeared on Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, and CBS and Dr. Oz’s XM Radio and television shows as...more
More about Jonny Bowden...
The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth about What You Should Eat and Why The Great Cholesterol Myth: Why Lowering Your Cholesterol Won't Prevent Heart Disease-and the Statin-Free Plan That Will The 150 Most Effective Ways to Boost Your Energy: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth About Using Nutrition, Exercise, Supplements, Stress Relief, and Personal Empowerment to Stay Energized All Day Most Effective Natural Cures on Earth: The Surprising Unbiased Truth about What Treatments Work and Why Healthiest Meals on Earth: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth About What Meals to Eat and Why