Start by marking “Living Low Carb: Controlled-Carbohydrate Eating for Long-Term Weight Loss” as Want to Read:
Living Low Carb: Controlled-Carbohydrate Eating for Long-Term Weight Loss

Living Low Carb: Controlled-Carbohydrate Eating for Long-Term Weight Loss

Living low carb just gets better and better! This thorough revision of Jonny Bowden’s comprehensive guide includes all the newest data that support the long-term health benefits of a contemporary low-carbohydrate eating plan.

Bowden explains how low-carb diets work, and helps readers choose and customize the program that’s best for their own long-term weight-loss and optima
Published January 5th 2010 by Sterling (first published December 20th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Living Low Carb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Low Carb

Linh Pham
Sep 10, 2014 Linh Pham rated it really liked it
The main reason why I chose this book to read is not for the purpose of losing weight, but just to see what's really behind low-carb method.

The first thing I love about this book is how the author explains the myths that we've been automatically seen as truths for a long time. For example, you ever heard that high cholesterol is bad? Well there are different kinds of cholesterol, some of which are not bad at all. And to find out all the details behind cholesterol (as well as insulin, saturated
Raechelle Thomas
Aug 08, 2012 Raechelle Thomas rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. Jonny Bowden makes so much sense. He makes it so easy to understand the effects of carbs on everything from hormones and insulin, to fat burning, cholesterol and triglycerides. I'm only on page 42, but realise we already eat fairly low carb-and now I'm glad of it after learning how carbs truly affect the body. If you read only one book on the above subjects, read this one. Jonny Bowden really spells it out for all of us to understand.
Helen
Sep 25, 2011 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Amazing book under unpretentious cover: comprehensive review of the history and available now low carbohydrates diets. Including the history of fallacy of the high carbohydrates and low fat diet.

Well supported, but not overburdened, short, clear, to the point. Emotional, humorous, tense, very informative. Especially at the beginning, history section. When reviewing popular diets, author is being rather diplomatic and polite without compromising essentials.

Written for a mass reader, it doesn't t
Debbie
Feb 22, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who thinks they may be a carb addict.
Although it was overwhelming.(he explains so much and describes and reviews twelve low carb diets), I learned so much. the key to me maintaining a lower weight has got to be from low carbs. But how low is the question. I don/t know if I can give up fruits!! I don't think weight watchers is structured enough for me, although I'm hanging in there with it.
Of particular interest was the Dukan Diet. I went on his website to look into the oat-bran pancake.
Bowden is a real advocate not only for low car
Peter Greenwell
Oct 17, 2016 Peter Greenwell rated it really liked it
Gives a broad and comprehensive insight into the low-carb and paleo phenomena, including a review of the various low-carb and paleo/caveman diets out there. It's not all pro though, the author does mention a few cons about the dietary style, which does set him apart from many others of his ilk who'll ram down your throat their way is the only way, no dissent accepted.

All up, it made for some very good reading, though he does refer you to his website to buy stuff, which is a corollary of this ki
Apr 30, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People interested in good health
Recommended to Jennifer by: Amazon
No wonder our country is gaining in girth. The low-fat diet is making us fat. The food pyramid is all wrong.

This book convincingly explains why so many Americans are overweight and unhealthy. Insulin makes us fat; eating sugar and starches produces insulin. This is the cause of heart problems and possibly other health conditions, including cancer. Eating low-carb foods and choosing high quality foods will produce weight loss and improved health. The right kinds of fat can help us lose weight. Ev
Marilee
This is one of the best, most informative and non-dogmatic explanations for why reducing our carb intake is the wisest dietetic course for health and weight management. This isn't a diet book per se, but a thorough explanation of the latest science and nutritional information. The days of the low-fat, high carb diet as the standard is finally being shown for the fraud it was. Dietary fat [in moderation] and protein are not the bad guys. If you want finger pointing at bad health and obesity culpr ...more
Kristen
Jul 21, 2014 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good information. A lot I had heard before--insulin causes fat storage, lowering insulin levels leads to fat loss, etc. I learned a lot too--mostly about the effects of different fats on the body and about inflammation. That chapter was a lightbulb moment for me. I suddenly understood all the hype about salmon and omega-3s. I was disappointed that he never addressed an issue particular to me (and I'm sure others): food allergies that are NOT typically addressed by low carb diets. In my c ...more
Ashleigh Mattern
Aug 22, 2016 Ashleigh Mattern rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two months ago, I began eating low-carb. I felt mildly ill for two weeks as my body adjusted, but since then, I've felt better than ever. I didn't know it was possible to have this much energy. Although I'd researched low-carb eating online before starting, this book taught me so much more. The book delves deep into biochemistry, reviews the most popular low-carb diets, gives a detailed overview of the scientific studies, and explains how and why so much controversy has built up around a way of ...more
Suzyn
Sep 16, 2012 Suzyn rated it it was amazing
This is a nerd's dream diet book- Not only does it contain the usual science for low carb eating and lots of general advice, it compares 38 different low carb diets and tells you what they have in common and how they differ. My favorite thing about the book is that the author clearly knows most of the authors of the other books and considers them friends. He seems to go out of his way to be nice to everybody who isn't a total quack. I picked it up expected the usual "my diet or the highway" and ...more
Jodi
Mar 09, 2012 Jodi rated it liked it
Shelves: health-books
As a long-time convert to the 'bread and pasta are NOT health foods' idea, and someone who has read a fair few books on this subject, I was surprised that I learned as much from this book as I did. While I didn't agree with all of the author's conclusions, it's a really interesting read.

A lot of the focus is on weight loss, but there is also a fair bit of information about the health effects of a controlled carb diet plan, as well as diets such as the paleo diet.

This book would be a great introd
Mai-ana
Sep 10, 2015 Mai-ana rated it it was amazing
Really easy read on low-carbing. First part of the book explains why carbs are bad mmmkay, then he has a sections reviewing some of the low-carb diets that are out there, there is a FAQ section as well and then even a little bit at the back so that you could adapt and create your own low-carb diet to fit into your lifestyle and life.
As it is non-fiction book you can skip around and read the bits that interest you and go forwards and backwards. Sometimes he does assume you have done that and rep
Tasha
May 04, 2012 Tasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found the book to be beneficial because of the author's examination of other popular healthy diets. When paired with Atkins, The Schwarzbein Principle, and or the Zone diet (all which I have read on and tried) "Living the Low Carb" life can help educate diet conscious eaters who combat cravings and suffer from low blood sugar. Can I avoid bread as a result of the read? Not always; At least now I recognize the consequences of my actions and limit those carb intakes.

[The book is packed with res
Jim
Aug 21, 2007 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a sensible weight loss program
Bowden is a certified nutritionist and trainer who gives sensible advice. He tells why low carb diets work physiologically and reviews the leading low carb diet plans on the market. This is the place to start if you are thinking about trying out South Beach or the Zone or a similar plan. Bowden also gives detailed reviews on what supplements are helpful for low carb dieting, especially those supplements that will give an extra boost to your metabolism. This is good advice from a level headed nut ...more
Wanda
May 26, 2013 Wanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2013
How did he get all that information in a few hundred (well, four) pages? In addition to a rundown of the advantages of lower carbs over low fat, there's an overview of 38 plans and 5 fitness books, FAQ's, a chapter on supplements and diet drugs, low carb mythbusters, and 50 + tips for making low carb work for you. But wait! there's more - you also get a sizable list of resources and support including web links and end notes citing all the books and studies referenced in this very readable book. ...more
Kimberly
Jan 19, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to learn about popular low carb diets from an informative perspective to help make the best decision for someone who might need to reduce carbs in their diet. My conclusion was to explore either Atkins or South Beach Diet after reading it. However, there were several other diets detailed and for sure there has to be one that works for you- author breaks it by lifestyle, economics, etc. Finally, hopefully like me you'll feel that you were able to make in an informed decision ...more
Chris
Feb 20, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good overview of the low carb lifestyle. The author does a great job of describing the diet in all of it's variations. He even goes so far as to review upwards of 24 or 25 other popular books on low carb and other popular diets. I really liked this book. I listened to it via audiobook. Not a boring listen in the least. My only qualm is that I wish I had the print version to use for reference.
Sue Trav
Mar 16, 2013 Sue Trav rated it it was amazing
I have read a lot of diet and low carb books lately and this one is the best by far. I folded over so many pages to go back and look at again after my first read through. He covers all the diets, general nutrition, talks about excess insulin and what it does to our bodies and tells us what supplements we should be taking. I borrowed this from the library but there is so much information in here I am gong to buy a copy!
James
Jul 29, 2015 James rated it really liked it
I'm not a huge low carb fan since it doesn't particularly work for me, but I do believe in restricting sugar intake and avoiding junk carbs (as well as junk proteins and fats). Bowden does a good job in explaining the most popular of the low carb diets and providing a solid, common sense approach to crafting one's diet to maximize health.
Megan
May 23, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it
This guy really knows his stuff! New to the low carb lifestyle, I appreciated learning from a credible source the pros and cons of the diets on the market. I found the history of low carb diets AMAZING and so very very interesting. I felt that I learned something on a topic that I already thought I knew everything about.
loafingcactus
Jan 03, 2011 loafingcactus rated it it was amazing
The tone of the book is very collegial and kind as Bowden praises some diet authors, erm, more than others. The book is solid and grasps the few worthwhile ideas from each of the other books. I had read Bernstein first, amongst other things, so I had a good background in what was being discussed. Otherwise it may be a bit too note-like to follow easily.
Arizonagirl
Feb 08, 2014 Arizonagirl rated it liked it
I have been educating myself on the science of low carb diets. There are several low carb diet books out there, but this one is different since the author briefly describes many of the popular low carb diet books out there. There is also a FAQ section and the chapters are designed to be read in any order. It would be a good low carb reference book to keep on hand.
Louanne Sluiter White
May 02, 2016 Louanne Sluiter White rated it it was ok
Shelves: informational
The author gives a good argument for the trendy low carb, high protein, high fat diet but I'm not buying it. Why? Because, his argument against The China Study fell short for me AND because there is too much science and thousands of success stories for the opposite diet. I believe this will prove to be a dangerous diet.
Barbara
Jun 07, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are thinking about going on a diet, but don't know where to start, make sure you read this very informative book. It details the most popular diets and whether they are safe and worthwhile to attempt. Lots of great information!
David Davies
Jun 07, 2013 David Davies rated it really liked it
Really interesting research and information. Johnny clearly explains why low fat diets do not work. This book is a very good reference for how to change your long term eating habits and lose weight without feeling hungry.
Barbra
Feb 27, 2013 Barbra added it
This book falls in the category of Wheat Belly and Good Calories, Bad Calories. The science behind what the author says is very interesting and makes a lot of sense. The author also writes in a way that makes the information very accessible.
Jessica
Feb 11, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good explanation of biochemistry involved with insulin resistance and diabetes. Learned a lot about vitamin and mineral supplements, as well as a very simple breakdown of the popular low carb diets.
Karie
Oct 14, 2013 Karie rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent overview of low carb eating, the various low carb plans out there, and the many compelling reasons for switching to a low carb way of life.
Les Gehman
Mar 13, 2010 Les Gehman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
This was the book I used to review the various low-carb diets and decide which one was right for me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The UltraMetabolism Cookbook: 200 Delicious Recipes that Will Turn on Your Fat-Burning DNA
  • Knockout: Interviews with Doctors Who Are Curing Cancer and How To Prevent Getting it in the First Place
  • Fat Chance: Losing the Weight, Gaining My Worth
  • Beat Sugar Addiction Now!
  • Coach Yourself Thin: Five Steps to Retrain Your Mind, Reclaim Your Power, and Lose the Weight for Good
  • Superlife
  • Quantum Wellness Cleanse: The 21-Day Essential Guide to Healing Your Mind, Body and Spirit
  • The Fat Flush Plan
  • The Beck Diet Solution
  • The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health
  • Off Balance: Getting Beyond the Work-Life Balance Myth to Personal and Professional Satisfaction
  • The New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great
  • The Wild Diet: Get Back to Your Roots, Burn Fat, and Drop Up to 20 Pounds in 40 Days
  • Bob Greene's Total Body Makeover
  • The Belly Fat Cure: No Dieting with the NEW Sugar/Carb Approved Foods
  • The Sonoma Diet: Trimmer Waist, Better Health in Just 10 Days!
  • The Diabetes Diet: Dr. Bernstein's Low-Carbohydrate Solution
  • Mariel Hemingway's Healthy Living from the Inside Out: Every Woman's Guide to Real Beauty, Renewed Energy, and a Radiant Life
Jonny Bowden, PhD, CNS, also known as “THE ROGUE NUTRITIONIST” is a board-certified nutritionist with a master’s degree in psychology and the best-selling author of thirteen books including “The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth”, “Living Low Carb”, and “The Most Effective Natural Cures on Earth”. He has appeared on Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, NBC, and CBS and Dr. Oz’s XM Radio and television shows as ...more
More about Jonny Bowden...