Start by marking “Near Death in the Desert: True Stories of Disaster and Survival (Vintage Departures)” as Want to Read:

“The night was heavy with foreboding. The rain, which had been spitting down on us during the late afternoon, grew heavier. It hurled into our faces, borne by a wind that was now gusting between the dunes at full force. . . . It was the worst storm we had encountered and Ned was out in it alone.” —Justin Marozzi, South from BarbaryCecil Kuhne's newest anthology gathers the ...more
Published July 14th 2009 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about Near Death in the Desert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Near Death in the Desert

Bob Roller
Apr 14, 2010 Bob Roller rated it liked it
"Near Death" is an overstatment. A more appropriate title would be "The Desert is Hot and Made me Thirsty." It's an interesting but uneventful read.
Blue Jello Elf
Aug 07, 2010 Blue Jello Elf rated it did not like it
This book did not impress me from the very first essay, in which the editor's postscript stated that "Michael Asher was the first to [spoiler]," which completely discounted the fact that Michael Asher's wife was along on the whole trip. That just seemed kind of... not cool. For the most part, the stories in the book were pretty dull.
Adam
Jul 15, 2015 Adam rated it liked it
I was expecting a selection of stories of disasters in the desert and the people who survived them, but got instead tales of desert adventure. Most were good, some were less good, and it was not what I had wanted going in, but still a pretty fun read about the cultures of the desert.
Manintheboat
Jun 15, 2010 Manintheboat rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
I quit halfway through but feel I need to give myself full credit for sticking around for that long. A difficult boring slog. It is often impossible to tell if the characters are camels or people.
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was ok
Sep 08, 2010
Sallie Rivera
Sallie Rivera rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2014
Missy
Missy rated it it was ok
Oct 19, 2009
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2009
Gary Witte
Gary Witte rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2013
Geoff G
Geoff G rated it did not like it
Jul 09, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Derrick
Derrick marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2009
Jess
Jess added it
Aug 17, 2009
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2010
Lg
Lg added it
Dec 27, 2011
Oxford Exchange
Oxford Exchange marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2012
Sherilyn Renee
Sherilyn Renee marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
miss molly
miss molly marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
C.
C. marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Connie
Connie is currently reading it
Jan 25, 2016
Leslie Woodman
Leslie Woodman marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Edward
Edward marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014