Start by marking “Ramona the Brave (Ramona Quimby)” as Want to Read:
Ramona the Brave (Ramona Quimby)

Ramona the Brave (Ramona Quimby #3)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  41,051 Ratings  ·  528 Reviews
Read by Stockard Channing
2 cassettes / 2 hours 26 mins.

The summer before first grade sure isn't an easy one for Ramona.  There are a lot of changes going on at the Quimby house and Ramona's not sure she likes them one bit.  She has a new bedroom that terrifies her, and she's positive that something is hiding under her bed.  And to make matters worse, her mother gets a job
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published March 14th 2000 by Listening Library (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Ramona the Brave, please sign up.

Angela Might be a little young for 5th grade. In this book in the series, Ramona is in 1st grade.

ABC
Mar 01, 2013 ABC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Cleary really knows the way kids think. She nails it on the head.

The million dollar question is: Did Susan really copy or was it just some sort of freaky coincidence? I often wondered this when I was a kid, but now rereading it I think Cleary implies that Susan probably did copy.

As a kid, I thought that Ramona must have grown up in an extremely tame household if she did not know any truly bad words. Still, it was pretty funny.

On another note, I think this book is where Cleary breaks away
Skylar Burris
Jul 02, 2010 Skylar Burris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I recall loving the Ramona books as a child (I think I was about 9 when I read them), but I really appreciated re-reading this one as an adult and as the mother of a child of my own. Beverly Cleary knows how to climb inside the head of a six-year-old girl, a six-year-old girl that in many way resembles my own six-year-old girl. Reading Ramona the Brave reminded me for a moment of what it’s like to be a child, of how dramatic little things seem, of how little adults seem to understand and appreci ...more
Ciara
May 04, 2014 Ciara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
one of my favorite things about this book is the way it kind of shows its age with mrs. quimby's job. she starts working as a receptionist in a doctor's office to help pay for the new addition the quimbys have put on their house (a third bedroom so beezus & ramona don't have to share anymore). the girls are kind of dazzled by the idea of their mother working. beezus even says, "you're going to be a liberated woman." hahaha!

i also wonder if this book is the source of my life-long antipathy to
Cristi-Lael
Mar 12, 2014 Cristi-Lael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, own
Re-read December 2015: This was adorable, as expected. Cleary really explains well how a child's mind works.
Lili's Bookshelf
(3.5 stars)
Blake
“Ramona the Brave” by Beverly Cleary is a children’s novel and is the third book in the Ramona series. Ramona Quimby is the youngest in her family, and desperately wants to grow up. One day, Ramona decides to stick up for her older sister, Beatrice Quimby. A bunch of boys were picking on Beatrice and calling her names like “Beezus Jesus.” Ramona thought Beatrice would be happy that she stood up for her, but instead Beatrice was upset and embarrassed. She was more upset at Ramona for standing up ...more
Michelle
May 30, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramona Quimby is the best and Beverly Cleary is the best and I love them both with my whole heart. What I love best about Ramona (and this is true throughout the Ramona books): She has so many feelings but because she's young, she doesn't know how to express them all the time in the best manner. And her family is so wonderful about it. Not babying her, but trying to understand her. So real! So endearing! From the chapter 'Ramona Says a Bad Word':

After a moment Mrs. Quimby said quietly, "Go ahead
Irene
Nov 18, 2012 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Up until now, we've been reading Ramona books illustrated by Tracy Dockray. I really like her drawings because they do such a great job of conveying the emotions of each character - from elation to concern to anger. Illustrations definitely add to the story, helping Isabelle to put a greater context around the words being read.

Since we're going through the series by borrowing books from the library, we read whatever editions are available. With this book, for the first time, we encountered a dif
2017charlottec
Nov 03, 2014 2017charlottec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramona the Brave, by Beverly Cleary is a really good book for those who tries to act brave. This book is mainly about a first grader named Ramona. She likes to think that she's brave and never afraid, but it turns out that sometimes people think she's just plain embarrassing, followed by her older sister Beezus, who gets more

There were a lot of times when she was humiliated, such as when Ramona embarrased her sister in the park and when she told everyone that someone chopped a hole in her hou
Darlene
Jun 09, 2011 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I read this book aloud to my daughters.

In the third book of the Ramona Quimby series, Ramona has entered first grade. She realizes that it is much different than kindergarten, and she finds it a little bit frightening and misses her kindergarten teacher, Miss Binney.

Although initially excited at having her very own bedroom, Ramona finds that her room can be a scary place at night. I had to laugh as I remembered doing the exact same thing when I was a child: Standing in the doorway and turning of
Connie
Aug 22, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Cleary has a real gift. Although her books span a period of decades, they all read as though they were written today. There's a few odd details in some of them, but mostly they rely on good storytelling and... well, very real-seeming children.

This is the story of Ramona's first grade year. Her struggles sound authentically, well, first grade. She has to deal with a copycat neighbor... and then she has to deal with the fallout of acting without thinking. She doesn't think her teacher LIKE
Sujatha Sankaran
Mar 01, 2016 Sujatha Sankaran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My four and a half year old daughter Maya and I had a blast reading this together! I was at turns astonished by the timelessness of Beverly Cleary's descriptions of childhood and nostalgic at the simplicity of the kids' lives (when compared to the over-scheduled, smartphone- and social media-infested current reality). This book is so fun...Maya and I both let out an audible gasp when Ramona called Susan stinky in front of the whole class, then both burst out laughing. Some parts feel outmoded (l ...more
Sam
Dec 17, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my friends
Recommended to Sam by: my mom
When Ramona was in the room with Beezus, she did not feel scared because she was with somebody. But when she got a new room, she was scared because she wasn't with somebody. I thought I would do that, too, if I were in a room alone. Sometimes I get nervous in my room when it's dark and I'm alone. Probably when my brother and I are in rooms together, I will feel safer.

There was also a big dog in the story that Ramona faced. She took off her shoe and threw it at the dog. She also threw her lunch b
Elaine
Feb 05, 2013 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I liked this one a lot. I liked seeing how a first grader might think and be misunderstood, and it's helping me to see things from Erin's point of view. I kinda wish she would've talked to her parents or her teacher about how she felt, rather than keeping it all to herself, because so many problems can be solved by just communication. I can see why a little girl might not want to, out of embarrassment or pride, so it has made me be more proactive is asking the kids what they are feeling. Erin sa ...more
Nadine Keels
Oct 13, 2010 Nadine Keels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rereading this more than two decades after I first read it as a child, I can see why this would've been a "4 star" read to my younger self, even as much as I loved the Ramona Quimby books. The woes of a new first grade teacher who apparently doesn't like you and sleeping alone in your new room when you're scared of the dark--woes indeed for Ramona! And I do remember that it made for a teensy bit of a gloomier read for me back then, especially with the Dell Yearling book cover hinting at somethin ...more
Aubree Bowling
Aug 27, 2016 Aubree Bowling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My kids loved this book. They were intrigued by Howie Kemp and Ramona playing brick factory and their favorite chapter was #8 when Ramona says a bad word that she thinks is a swear, but isn't and the results are pretty hilarious. I used it as a teachable moment, suggesting that if they are frustrated and lose their temper, use Ramona's word instead of any real swear words! we all 3 cannot wait to read more in this series, and Henry Huggins, too.
Megan
This one is probably my favorite of the series, I have no idea why though. I remember thinking when I was younger how creative Ramona was to pretend that the closet of her new room was an elevator and how she made the slipper out of papertowels from the school's bathroom. I just love these books and I never want to grow up lol.
Alanna
Oct 08, 2011 Alanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just re-read this. Wow, I know I liked these books as a kid, but I LOVE them now. How did Cleary remember so well what it was like to be a kid? As I read them, I think to myself, "Ah, yes, I remember feeling like that!" But I never could have remembered it on my own in order to write it down. Genius.
Carrie
Mar 11, 2008 Carrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I love Beverly Cleary. No wands, no Starstuff, no dragons. Yet she somehow makes the life of an everyday first-grader compelling.

It's been a long time since I've ready her other books, but I read every one I could find when I was a kid, and I liked them all. I'm happy to report that though my tastes have undoubtedly changed, I still like them.
Ethan
Jan 23, 2016 Ethan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramona thinks that her big sister, Beezus, has got it all, that is, until Ramona moves to the same big grown-up school as Beezus. But first grade is not at all what she thought it would be. Her craft for parents night is copied, she is attacked by a huge dog and has to wear a paper shoe to school.
Kym
Jul 20, 2016 Kym rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading these with my daughter. The first two we listened to on CD and this one I read aloud to her. Ramona is so creative and spunky. I think this was my daughter's favorite so far because she is a six year old about to begin first grade, just like Ramona in this installment.
Andrea
Dec 03, 2010 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: school-age kids
This is the Ramona book I remember best. As a kid I secretly hoped I would lose a shoe at school so I could staple one out of paper towels just like Ramona. While she and her sister don't always have a model relationship, I think that is one of the reasons kids like this book so much.
Carolyn
I've been re-reading the Ramona books lately. There's still a part of me that can relate to Ramona Quimby.

September 2016. Re-read again via an audio book. Story read by Stockard Channing. She did a nice job with the different characters' voices.
Rachel Boothby
Aug 22, 2015 Rachel Boothby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-read-aloud
How can I even review a Beverly Cleary book? They are all the stories of my childhood, each story and interaction brings back memories and joy. I consider myself beyond blessed to be able to share these books with my kids.
May 12, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ramona continues to be a treat no matter my age. I poured over these books as a child and they still take me back today as I read them to my young daughter. Beverly Cleary is a genius who made the ordinary struggles of growing up relatable, funny, and universally appealing.
Tara
Mar 12, 2016 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidsbooks
I may be a grad student in my mid-twenties, but most days, I still feel like Ramona in the 1st grade.
Liam Murphy
This book is good almost every body in my reading group hated but I liked it sought of I want to make paper owls
Christina
Read out loud to my kids (both boys) and they liked it well enough. Their favorite chapter? Ramona Says a Bad Word.
Nate
The chapter "Ramona Says a Bad Word" had my 4 year-old and 11 year-old spellbound and then rolling on the floor laughing. So awesome.
  • Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge #2)
  • Anastasia at Your Service (Anastasia Krupnik, #3)
  • Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • Henry & Ramona
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #3)
  • How to Eat Fried Worms
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • More Adventures of the Great Brain (Great Brain #2)
  • Clementine, Friend of the Week (Clementine, #4)
  • Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2)
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At
More about Beverly Cleary...

Ramona Quimby (9 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona, #5)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona's World (Ramona, #8)
  • The Ramona Quimby Audio Collection