Start by marking “The Wild Baby” as Want to Read:
The Wild Baby

The Wild Baby

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Bebins framfart är värre än det mesta. Det värsta är att han gömmer sig för mamman hela tiden. Fast då och då hittar hon honom. Lite puss och kram och sen iväg på nya farligheter.

En oumbärlig bok för alla som är, har eller har varit bebisar!
Published January 1st 1980 by Scholatic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild Baby

Mari
I'm 30 now and I still have this book memorized - my all-time favorite children's book! I wish it was still in print so I could give it to my friends as they become parents!
Robin Criscuolo
One of my favorites as a tiny child. (I tended to gravitate to a theme of an untamable child who is loved just the same. One of my other favorites was The Elephant and the Bad Baby by Elfrida Vipont The Elephant and the Bad Baby (Picture Puffin) by Elfrida Vipont)

The author of the Wild Baby, Barbro Lindgren, received the 2014 Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award, a respected children's literature prize.
What I found in perusing the internet for information on these dear Swedish authors was that in 1964 Barbro Lindgren had sent her very first manuscript to the Sw
Mckinley
I am not sure if reading this puts ideas in our heads or makes us shy away from doing such things.
Laura Morrigan
"Mama loved her baby Ben, her small and precious child,but he always disobeyed her, he was reckless, loud and wild."

This was a childhood favourite. I loved the absurd adventures the baby got into, such as getting lost, being licked by a wolf and licking it back, falling into the toilet, hiding in a clock, and running away while wearing a big blue bag. This is one of those childhood books you never forget!
Regina
I have such fond memories of this book from when my daughter was little! We would check it out from the library often in the late 80s. I love Jack Prelutsky's translation of Baby Ben's antics and his mama's fears she'll lose him forever. Many years later, I still have much of the book memorized. "Mama loved her baby Ben, her small and precious child, but he always disobeyed her, he was reckless, loud and wild." I just bought a copy on eBay to read to my new granddaughter. I'm looking forward to ...more
Cecily
I looooooooooooooooved this book as a child!!!!! My mother still calls me "Wilde Babatjie" (Wild Baby in Afrikaans) at times :)
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
By: Babaro Lingren
Illustrations By: Eva Eriksson
Grade Levels: K-2
DRA, Lexile Measure, GLE: n/a
Reviewed By: Aaron Carter

This is among my children's favorite books. It combines a hilarious storyline with vivid, comical illustrations. Essentially, baby "Ben" gets into everything, and he never listens to his mother, so he finds himself in many potentially dangerous situations that his mother has to rescue him from. The extensive use of rhyme, with sentences two and four always ending with rhyming wo
Mirian
Jul 28, 2009 Mirian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and Children at Heart
Shelves: wish-list
This was the best garage sale purchase of my life. I cannot recall when 25 cents brought me more enjoyment.

"The Wild Baby" is a narrative poem about Baby Ben, a boy who has the nerve to do all the things I was too afraid to try as a child. All the while his loving mother worries and does her best to care for her wild child. One of my favorite childhood storybooks! Comical illustration!
Deborah
Mama loved her baby Ben, her small and precious child,but he always disobeyed her, he was reckless, loud and wild....
25 years later (my boys are 30 and 28 these days), I still have this precious book memorized. It was out all-time favorite and a merry testament to a mother's love.
Roy
Adorable. If you have a free spirited child who does not yet comprehend the concept of sitting still, this book will delight. Wild Baby gets a Puppy, which I suppose you could call a sequel to this book, was unfortunately not nearly as charming as this gem.
Ashleigh
Nov 29, 2008 Ashleigh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who has a sense of humor
Recommended to Ashleigh by: my Aunt Jane used to read this to me
Absolute hilarity in a child's book! I like to compare it to Pixar's "The Incredibles"; funny for both the adult and child reader. Baby Ben is the most pessimistic yet dryly funny toddler I have ever encountered, fictional or not. A classic must read.
Lynne
One of the best children's books EVER! I can still recite the entire book 25+ years later, which came in very handy while trying to entertain a cranky child in the backseat of a car while stuck in traffic. I can't believe it's not still in print. :(
Cara
This was cute. I would be exceedingly stressed out if I was the mom in this book, but it was cute to read.
Adrienne
Feb 25, 2008 Adrienne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids around the age of 4
I loved it when my mom read this book to us. The illustrations are hilarious and now that I'm a mom, I wish I could find this in print. I have vague feelings of empathy with the lovable harried mother of that book.
Anne
Jan 11, 2008 Anne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moms who like to read to their children
Shelves: favorites
Written in verse, this delightful tale of the adventures of a naughty baby is a joy to read aloud over and over again. The illustrations and rhyme made a favorite of my children.
Brittany Lentz
Absolutely in love with this book. If anyone finds it at a garage or library sale can you please get it for me??? I want to have a copy of this again so badly!!
Danica Midlil
I absolutely loved this book when I was small. No matter what that rotten child did, his mother still loved him.
Owen
It was funny. I like it. It was so funny I laughed the whole book.
Robin-Ann
One of our favorite children's books. :)
Natalia Romero
Natalia Romero marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
A Dreamer's Hope
A Dreamer's Hope marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Sacha Frenger
Sacha Frenger marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Erendira
Erendira marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Barbro Enskog was born in Bromma, Stockholm. She graduated from art school in 1958 and has been writing books for publication since 1965. Her style has exerted a major influence on Swedish children's literature. Located between realism and surrealism, her works are humorous and imaginative, and her books for children treat important issues to be taken seriously and treated for children.
Early in
More about Barbro Lindgren...
Sam's Cookie Benny and the Binky Loranga : del 1 & 2 Sam's Ball Sam's Potty