Start by marking “De stilte van de hel (Smoky Barret, #1)” as Want to Read:
De stilte van de hel (Smoky Barret, #1)

De stilte van de hel (Smoky Barrett #1)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  8,165 Ratings  ·  678 Reviews
Smoky Barett is een jonge, maar ervaren FBI-agente die de leiding heeft over een speciale eenheid die op seriemoordenaars jaagt. Ze is tijdelijk met verlof nadat haar man en dochtertje zijn vermoord door de man achter wie zij aanzat. Dan wordt het levenloze lichaam gevonden van Smoky's beste vriendin Annie. Smoky neemt de leiding in deze moordzaak op zich en ontfermt zich ...more
Published November 2007 by A.W. Bruna (first published June 13th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about De stilte van de hel, please sign up.

Bert Really depends on where you pick it up - ya know?

Jan
One of the most scary, intense, mess with your mind, psychological thriller's I've ever read!

This book was recommended to me well over a year ago, and while I went and purchased the book right away, it quickly became lost amongst the other patient books waiting to be read.
When my favorite buddy reader suggested we tackle another one, this book was hands down our first pick. The reviews were strong, and with the recommendation in my mind, I took this one on with high expectations. Apparently the
Christine
Jun 18, 2016 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: Sue2, Terri B, Jonetta all 5
Shelves: favorites
Five stars vastly underrates this book. I give the brilliant Shadow Man 10 stars. Easily. Cory McFadyen’s Shadow Man is the best thriller I have read. In my life. Ever.

By the time I reached the 5% mark, I knew this book was going to be special. I paused long enough to race over to Amazon to order the other 3 books in the series. I was instantly transfixed in chapter one, and the book did not lessen its grip on me from that point on. The last 25% of the book was simply unputdownable. Truly.

Shado
Stephanie
Horrifying, gripping, edge of your seat thriller!

WOW, what a ride Shadow Man is.... This is book 1 of Cody McFadyen's Smoky Barrett series -- and I will definitely be reading the rest!

Smoky Barrett is one of the top FBI serial killer hunters -- but at the start of the book is reeling from the loss of her husband and daughter, as well as her own wounds at the hands of a madman. Will she be able to get back to her FBI job and lead her team to catch a new serial killer who is personally threateni
Mary Beth
Feb 25, 2016 Mary Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this book. This book isn't for everyone. It was definitely for me! This book is very horrifying! Its not for the faint of heart. I had to put it down a couple of times because in some parts I just could not handle it. It is an excellent book. The author writes so well! It is very suspenseful. Its so hard for me to say what its about because I don't want to spoil it. Also I can not put in words the justice that this book deserves. I can tell you that if you are a fan of Karin Slaught ...more
Brenda
Jan 12, 2016 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, a warning. Future readers should be aware that there is an abundance of gore, depravity, and evil in this book, and it is not left to the imagination! It is also countered with love and hope and loyalty.

By the end of the first chapter, I was completely hooked by this book. For me, it was very emotional. I melded myself with everything Smoky was feeling: fear, sorrow, depression, suicidal. And a few chapters later, I loved her team as she did. The cast of characters in this book are just f
Sherri
Sep 24, 2012 Sherri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Today on Cooking With Plagiarism, we're going to work on a little recipe called "Shadow Man." This is a pretty spicy dish, and will be too hot for those of you who are sensitive to too much gore and pretty much unpalatable to those of you who like your plots without holes. For the rest of you, let's get started. First, when cooking with plagiarism its important to start of right. Pull your very COVER from another source to give your audience a head's up on what to expect. Don't be too blatant th ...more
David Staniforth
Not one for the squeamish!

This is the kind of book that makes me glad I joined Goodreads and that I have friends whose recommendations I trust, for without that I would never have read "Shadow Man". The cover wouldn't have drawn me in and I'd never heard of the author, so not something I would have selected while casually browsing in the library.

Brilliant writing style that gripped me from the opening paragraph and never let go. Fantastic character development. Intense action. Perfect pacing and
Krystin Rachel
This is the kind of story I love, unashamedly.

A super tough female heroine, with a traumatized past, who has became the main target of a twisted serial killer's bloody game that gives you lots of gore. I mean sure, it's a tale as old as time in this genre. It's been done to death, but when it's done well? Who gives a fuck? It's a wild, tense, dark and twisty ride.

I have a hard time believing this is the first novel ever written by Cody McFadyen but that's the line I'm being fed, so sure, ok, M
Jean
Apr 01, 2016 Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
George Eliot, Isak Dinesen, J. D. Robb…Cody McFadyen? I truly mean this as the highest compliment, Mr. McFadyen. As I read the opening pages of your spectacular thriller, Shadow Man, I had to look back to see your name again. Yes, I had read it correctly; I simply could not believe that the emotions and sensations that were emanating from my Kindle had come from the psyche of a man. I know that I am not the first reviewer to say this, but this was my overwhelming first impression, and I was awes ...more
Susan
This book was recommended to me by a reading buddy because she loved it and because she knows I like Karen Slaughter books. It is the beginning of a series that is not at all light reading. A brutal tale with all the suspense and twists that make up a good crime thriller. On to the next book, I hope the series gets better as it goes.
Janet
Mar 17, 2016 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came to this not having had heard of the author before but on very high recommendations from trusted reading friends. I did some research; discovered that the author seems to have disappeared from the public writing arena (which is mysterious in itself) and that there are four books written in this particular series. So in I went and came away mostly happy - mostly! It was wasn't perfect, but here's what I thought.

It's clear from early on that McFadyen can write. His writing reads well with el
Diana
Dec 04, 2016 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow ... extremely dark! I can't really add anything else for a review that others haven't covered already. It is dark, complex and suspenseful ... I raced through it and was surprised at the end which I always enjoy that. If you like Angela Marsons books then this will be right up your alley. Not for the faint of heart ... definitely for dark suspense fans! Don't pass this one up!
Angela DeSilva
This is a very good serial killer fiction book. I loved Smoky Barrett! This is a very talented author. Just excellent writing. Author is well versed in forensics and profiling. I'm starting the second in the series straight away,The Face of Death!
Linda Strong
Dec 08, 2015 Linda Strong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
SHADOW MAN (FBI AGENT SMOKEY BARRETT, BK 1) by CODY MCFADYEN

This was probably the third or fourth time I've read this book, and this entire series of four books. It is possibly one of the best series I have ever read. YES! It is that good!

Shadow Man introduces Smokey Barrett 6 months after a brutally traumatic experience. A killer she had been chasing breaks into her home, rapes and tortures her, leaving her with horrific facial scars. He also kills her husband young daughter.

Six months later an
Mary
May 01, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Melissa
Apr 15, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melissa by: Christine
Shadow Man was recommended to me by a trusted Goodreads thriller fan friend (Thanks Christine), who gave it an easy 10 (YES 10) stars! How could I resist immediately getting this book and reading it! Although I don’t completely agree with her 10 star assessment, it was still an extremely entertaining, thrilling read!

Smoky Barrett was a top FBI agent hunting serial killers until one night her and her family were terrorised by one. Her husband and daughter were killed, leaving Smokey alone and dea
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Wow, well that was intense. Right at the beginning, it does not shy away from anything does it? I had to take a break from the book now and then. Yeah, there's a lot of moments where you're like, what is going on and OMG and great, thanks for that. Yeah this book is weird.

And yet, you like some of the characters and want Smokey to get it together. Good thing she has support from her team. Near the end, I was like ohhh I knew it!

This was an intense start to a new mystery series. After catching u
Amy
TEN SHINY, "bleeping" STARS.

I know that is inappropriate, but my dear God. This book is terrifying. It's basically a psychological warfare on one's mind that things like this actually happen. People can be plain, old psychopaths. There is no cure for that and what is worse, there's more of them than we imagine.

I can't believe this was a debut novel. It is well written, gripping and the most twisted book I have ever read. Not that I am a library of knowledge, but I know what a great book reads
Lisa
Jan 10, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow this is a fast paced book about Special Agent Smoky Barrett and her team. They hunt serial killers and they have a whopper of a case this time. Smoky is a dark and intense character out to get the bad guys. She seems to be close to the edge. I think it is a fine line for her as to do her job she gets inside the minds of the serial killers she goes after.
Franzis Bücherseelen
Ein schreckliches , schreckliches Buch ... ich liebe es und will mehr! :D "Todeskünstler" ich komme! :D
Ken Heard
Dec 18, 2007 Ken Heard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This could have been a typical "investigator was nearly killed in previous case by serial killer, hunts similar serial killer after recovery" novel, but Cody McFadyen turns this into a brilliant look at psychology, personal fears, loss of love, isolation and rebound.

The villian is also the most depraved, sadistic person I've ever come across in fiction. The killer's tormenting the various FBI agents and attacking their personal fears is very unsettling.

The only problem is that, if you are payin
Kaisu
Jun 13, 2016 Kaisu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trotz reread, Spannung pur!
Spoiler-Free Review

Are you a fan of the often very dark and edgy show "Criminal Minds"?
The show about the Behavioral Analysis Unit at the FBI (read: profilers)?
I haven't watched the show in years (for reasons having nothing to do with the quality of the show), so I don't know if it has changed since then, but, for me, the tone of Cody McFadyen's first Smoky Barrett novel is very reminiscent of that show that I remember.

So, what did I love about Shadow Man?

I loved the depiction of camaraderie a
K.
I got very emotionally invested in this book very quickly. Smoky's grief was intense and painful to be a part of, but her story sucked me right in.

Now that I have a little distance from it (a whole twelve hours!) I can see the things that didn't work - the sudden! sex! with a character who was just introduced as a ~protector~ was the worst, I think. It just seems like a skewed view of the grieving process. Suicide was barely off the table for Smoky at that point.

I had a hard time sleeping after
Michele
Jun 06, 2009 Michele rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-shelf
I have no idea why this got such great reviews. It's dreadul, boring and slow. The author threw is as many gross, disturbing, and bizarre deatils simply for shock factor it seems. I don't think I'll be reading the next 2 in the series.
Tanya
Jun 21, 2016 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2016
Brilliant book!! I was engrossed the entire time. Can't wait to read the next book of the series.
lenaireen
Ein gelungener Thriller und spannender Anfang der Smoky Barrett-Reihe! Daumen hoch!
Marycat
Sep 23, 2016 Marycat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was für ein Buch :o Ich muss das Ganze jetzt erstmal sacken lassen.
Terri
I LOVE SMOKY BARRET!! She's the most appealing character; honest, open, accepting & real. She's the type of person I'd pick for a friend if she were real. Add to her the members of her team & you have group of characters you can't help but root for. Before you think this is another group of F.B.I agents swooping in to save the day, finish Chapter 1. The realism McFadyen uses to describe the terror that Barrett underwent to kick off the series is alarmingly real. The pain she lives throu ...more
Sunsy
Jun 10, 2016 Sunsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
ReRead der Smoky Barret-Reihe: Fast beinah hätte ich nachgegeben und meine ursprüngliche Bewertung von 11/10 Punkten auch nach dem Lesen beibehalten. Denn ja, ich bin begeistert. Wieder. Und das, obwohl ich mich an wirklich Vieles erinnere. Es gibt kein Aber. Darum auf jeden Fall die volle Punktzahl :)

• Abgeschnitten
  • The Executioner (Robert Hunter, #2)
  • The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)
  • Todesfrist (Maarten S. Sneijder, #1)
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • The Calling of the Grave (David Hunter, #4)
  • Retribution (C.J. Townsend #1)
  • 14 (Taylor Jackson, #2)
  • Schnitt
  • Die Reinheit des Todes (Julius Kern, #1)
  • Das Wesen
Cody McFadyen is an international bestselling author of six thrillers. Five of those thrillers are centered around FBI special agent Smoky Barrett, who hunts serial killers. In 2011 his stand alone thriller Der Menschenmacher was published in Germany with no English translation. Before releasing book five in the Smoky Barrett series in 2016, McFadyen took four years off to care for his ailing pare ...more
More about Cody McFadyen...

Smoky Barrett (5 books)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barrett, #3)
  • Abandoned (Smoky Barrett #4)
  • Die Stille vor dem Tod (Smoky Barrett, #5)

“She doesn't speak, and I say nothing more. We just stare at each other, letting the tears roll down our cheeks. That's what tears are for, after all. A way for the soul to bleed.” 37 likes
“Life is smoke, plain and simple; we just fool ourselves that it’s otherwise. All it takes is one good gust and we float away and disappear, leaving behind only the scent of our passing in the form of memories.” 6 likes