Start by marking “After Modern Art, 1945-2000” as Want to Read:
After Modern Art, 1945-2000

After Modern Art, 1945-2000

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,431 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Modern and contemporary art can be both baffling and beautiful; it can also be innovative, political, and disturbing. This book sets out to provide the first concise interpretation of the period as a whole, clarifying the artists and their works along the way. Closely informed by new critical approaches, it concentrates on the relationship between American and European art ...more
Published November 26th 2000 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published September 14th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about After Modern Art, 1945-2000, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Modern Art, 1945-2000

Rebecca
Sep 05, 2007 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who don't understand modern art
Anyone who has ever looked at a weird piece of modern art and wondered what was going through the artist's mind should read this book. It gives a general overview of modern art up until the present day and is written in a really enlivening style. The author puts every major work of modern and contemporary art in its proper artistic and historical context so that even the most pedestrian art viewer can understand the importance and meaning of each piece.
Witch'sCat
Jan 02, 2014 Witch'sCat rated it really liked it
As an art history student, this book proved immensely useful as this is the type of knowledge that is expected of me. Of course, this doesn't mean that I have to like everything I read and learnt from the book, but I am obliged to understand it. My decision to buy After Modern Art was partly influenced by my wanting to give modern and postmodern art a second chance since neither have impressed me very much in the past. Hopkins pleasantly surprised me quite a few times throughout the book with hi ...more
Carl
Feb 21, 2011 Carl rated it really liked it
Well, if you have a strong background in Art History this book will build on that knowledge. Not really recommended if you are new to contemporary art. It feels at times like you need to be on the inside circle to understand all references being made in the book.
Kay
Aug 13, 2015 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The perfect introduction to art history. An excellent survey for students and lay readers alike. Thorough and not patronizing. Well illustrated. Read it!
Courtney
Jun 24, 2009 Courtney rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I'm just starting this book to begin my own personal Contemporary Art 101 class, and it's really well-written thus far. I like that it has Matthew Barney on the cover, even if he is a pretentious douchebag married to Bjork, as his Cremaster Cycle 1 is perhaps the most amazing thing I've ever seen on film. Hopefully this book will school me on what I need to know about les artistes et leurs ouevres. Heh heh!Update to follow.

Update: this book is great, albeit a bit scholarly for a "bus read." None
Kate
Mar 07, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-history
There are so few introductions to contemporary art, that you almost have to give any book written five stars just by virtue of its being published. To understand what is currently in art galleries, it helps to have the background of what has gone on since World War II in art culture. This book tends to be focused on the western art world, but a good introduction to that.
Stephen
May 03, 2010 Stephen rated it really liked it
Again, I like these Oxford History of Art. A great survey to understand how the art world has come to be how it is.
Barry
Jan 03, 2008 Barry rated it it was ok
Shelves: art-stuff
A pretty good broad overview of the art of the times.

It's the text for a contemporary art course that I am teaching.
Curt Bozif
Oct 26, 2007 Curt Bozif rated it liked it
Recommends it for: My students
Shelves: art
Hopkins kind of gives up after about 1985. See work by Lane Relyea if you're curious what's been happening since then.
Nativeabuse
Jun 20, 2012 Nativeabuse rated it liked it
Interesting book, not well written, but the art displayed inside is a good selection.
Luisa
Jul 01, 2008 Luisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
The author was my professor at the University of Glasgow. He is a genius.
Safoura
Feb 09, 2009 Safoura rated it it was amazing
Was a good help for me figuring out the modern art
Susan
Dec 26, 2007 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: art
Good reference book about contemporary art movements.
Marvin Arevalo
Jul 23, 2012 Marvin Arevalo rated it it was amazing
Read and re-read
Nick Konstantatos
Nick Konstantatos marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Claire N
Claire N marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Rosemeire Silva
Rosemeire Silva marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Hammad.Abdullah.965
Hammad.Abdullah.965 rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
S.Hgh
S.Hgh marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Kayo Lu
Kayo Lu marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Tristan Bella
Tristan Bella rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Lucy Reavill
Lucy Reavill marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Sarah Muscalu
Sarah Muscalu rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
M. Mikhael
M. Mikhael rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Gamze Serbest
Gamze Serbest marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Adid Roman
Adid Roman marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Gabriel Bielawski
Gabriel Bielawski rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
  • Theories and Documents of Contemporary Art: A Sourcebook of Artists' Writings
  • Matthew Barney: The Cremaster Cycle
  • Conceptual Art (Phaidon Art and Ideas)
  • The Art of Art History: A Critical Anthology
  • Art History
  • Pictures of Nothing: Abstract Art Since Pollock
  • Art in Theory 1900 - 2000: An Anthology of Changing Ideas
  • Art in Renaissance Italy: 1350-1500
  • The Voices of Silence: Man and His Art. (Abridged from the Psychology of Art)
  • After the End of Art: Contemporary Art and the Pale of History
  • The Artist's Reality: Philosophies of Art
  • The Photograph as Contemporary Art (World of Art)

More about David Hopkins...