Start by marking “The Farfield Curse (Bran Hambric, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Farfield Curse (Bran Hambric, #1)

The Farfield Curse (Bran Hambric #1)

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  1,113 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
The Farfield Curse brims with mystery, magic, and fun. Kaleb Nation's wry sense of humor kept me smiling, even while the mystical sparks flew.
Get ready for lots of surprises and watch out for gnomes
D.J. MacHale, Author of the Pendragon Series In a bustling metropolis where magic is outlawed, a six-year-old child is found inside a locked bank vault. A scrap of paper rev
Published September 9th 2009 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Farfield Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Farfield Curse

Aug 07, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is a great example of what Christopher Paolini SHOULD have done...written the book when he was 13 and then spend 6 years editing it so that it's actually well-written! :) (Of course, Paolini has sold so many copies, who am I to judge?!)

Anyways, onto Bran Hambric....The start of the story didn't really grip me. I waded through and was really glad I did! Nation did a great job building the suspense, hitting a climax, and setting us up for the next one (well, next 4, but only one at a time).

I
Madison Mcgraw
Sep 12, 2009 Madison Mcgraw rated it did not like it
Horrible. Poor Imitation of Harry Potter. Even the cover is a rip off. This is getting good/press reviews b/c the author built a loyal following of Twilight lovers - Kaleb Nation even went so far as to write a "press release" that he would play new Edward Cullen in the new Twilight movies.

This book is a testament to the fact that blind consumers will buy anything associated with Twilight and Harry Potter.

Flat writing/boring characters, and "magic elements" straight out of Harry Potter.
Sam
May 26, 2010 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
A book for Harry Potter readers that isn't quite Harry Potter. Okay, you can't help but draw out the similarities (boy who happens to be a magician living with people who don't want him to be around but who ends up being super important in the whole magic world). Outside of that, there aren't a whole lot of similarities; this is a self contained book that I don't really see anything else arising out of. That is unfortunately one of its weak points as well; young author Kaleb Nation took a great ...more
Lauren
Jul 24, 2009 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: own
After reading that the author of this, Kaleb Nation, had started Bran Hambric when he was 14 and continued it throughout his teen years, I was solidly impressed. Sadly enough that while his dedication to his book payed off by having an interesting and partly unique story filled with some great characters, I was at most times bored with the actual plot at hand since it mostly lacked in action and suspense.

Bran was a character that I enjoyed reading about and could sympathize with his feeling of
Erica
Oct 15, 2009 Erica rated it did not like it
Never finished....
Julie
Sep 08, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: HP fans, 8- to 12-year-olds
Recommended to Julie by: Kaleb Nation
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2010
(This book is aimed for 8-12 but would be fine for the young adult crowd, in my opinion... the main character is 14.)

I got interested in this after reading Kaleb Nation's Twilight Guy website. Kaleb's writing is entertaining and intelligent, and I've been looking forward to reading his book for some time.

I bought it the day it came out, but hadn't gotten around to it until now (if you saw my bookcases, you'd see why). From the moment I picked it up, though, I was entertained and amused.

Bran Hamb
LilyCat (Agent of SHIELD)
I read this a while ago, but I still remember a fair amount of the plot elements.

Although today I'd probably give it a lower ranking, when I read this about three or four years ago, I thought it was a little cliched, but surprisingly original in worldbuilding and setup. Today, I'm quite impressed the author started on this book at age 14.

Anyway, the worldbuilding and background is original and pretty weird. In the place where the book is set, magic is outlawed, and other magical people
Jessica
Aug 31, 2009 Jessica rated it did not like it
This book was very hard for me to get through. It gets better as you go along, but I foudn the beginning so slow that I literally had to force myself to read this. I even enjoyed Great Expectations better than this book. Nation's sense of humor is much better than Dickens, though.

The first part introduces the family and that's about it. It's long, repetative, and nothing really happens. The second part is slightly better, but not much. The third and fourth parts contain most of the action and pl
Feb 17, 2010 Laura rated it did not like it
Shelves: dropped, bookclub, ya, sf-f
I knew nothing about this book going in. Someone had chosen it for a book club so I went along.

I read the prologue and then had to flip to the about the author to see if it was even written by an adult. I was both gratified to see it wasn't and glad to not be a creative writing teacher and have to constantly read this level of writing.

I went on to read the first chapter and skim the second and then I could do no more. There were honestly some good ideas. If the book had been shelved as Mr. Natio
Amelia Loken
Aug 14, 2011 Amelia Loken rated it it was ok
Shelves: tween, adventure
Couldn't finish it. And I was listening to it on Audio as I painted. Maybe, because I've been reading so many books on editing, I wanted to 'cut to the chase' and get the story started. There were soooo many details about Bran's foster family. I get it already. They are self-important boors who are obsessed with keeping up with the Joneses...reminds me too much of Harry Potter but without the humor and too much of the Dursleys. Come On, I want the magic and the Hogwarts or whatever it is with th ...more
Carmen
Jun 18, 2010 Carmen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just couldn't finish this book. I don't find it appealing at all, which is very sad, since I follow Kaleb Nation (the author)s blog and youtubevideos, so I really did expect something much greater. But I didn't like it. Especially not the characters. I guess you just have to have english as your first-language to understand the humor of the book, 'cause I just didn't find the characters funny, I found them weird. Didn't want to finish the book, sorry...
Bri  Ahearn
Aug 01, 2009 Bri Ahearn rated it really liked it
When he was six years old, a child was found in a locked bank vault in the city of Dunce. He's suffering from amnesia and only a small scrap of paper offers a clue: his name, Bran Hambric. His parents' whereabouts are unknown, and so according to Dunce law, whoever found him is responsible for his welfare. The task is entrusted to Sewey and Mabel Wilomas. But nobody, not even Bran, realizes how important the boy's survival is, and his connection to the titular Farfield Curse.

Reading Bran Hambric
Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)
What Kaleb Nation has done with Bran Hambric is what all aspiring authors should aim for. The Farfield Curse is interesting, enthralling, and extremely well-written. Nation infuses his characters with so much life and heart that they leap off the pages.

Bran instantly draws readers in with the mystery behind his story – who is he and why doesn’t he remember anything from his childhood? He’s intelligent and sarcastic and is surrounded by an insane family. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the Wil
Chloe
Mar 28, 2009 Chloe rated it it was amazing
Kaleb Nation is a fresh, funny voice in YA fiction. While his debut novel Bran Hambric: The Farfield Curse shares some elements with other series such as Harry Potter, it also manages to be unique and entertaining in its own right. The plot is engaging and (mostly) fast-paced, mixed in with hilarity, whimsy, and adventure. Bran is an interesting protagonist who is easy to care about, and his emotions and reactions are all quite believable and well-written. The majority of the supporting characte ...more
Evan
Apr 15, 2010 Evan rated it liked it
It's not BAD, but it's not good either. This story acts as an introduction to Bran's story, and frankly, has a lighter tone than its sequel. The story is very straightforward and follows many cliches found in the fantasy genre, however, it has the spirit in it. It's full of self-parody and puns, things Jo Rowling was incredibly fond of. There's some clever jokes, and the story takes on a nice tone.

The characters are too straightforward, Bran being a very simple character, while the other charact
Jax
Oct 30, 2014 Jax rated it did not like it
Let me save you some time... Think of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Remember that one - The really slow, murky one. Now, imagine that the first 3/4 of the book is just Harry and the Dursleys. Now, imagine that the Dursleys aren't at all funny - Just dull and petty. And the final 1/4 of the book is just the bit where they end up at the Ministry of Magic, but make sure you leave out any bits that actually stop and explain anything. Got that? Now, give the text to a year 7 creative wri ...more
Brooke
Jun 18, 2012 Brooke rated it liked it
Orphaned Fourteen-year-old Bran lives upstairs in the attic of the Wheezer household. Surviving on the kindness of the housekeeper Rosie, good-natured Bran does what he is told clean-up after the kidlets, climb up on the roof to stop the thief . . . until strange things happen and he realizes he might be a mage - which is strictly forbidden in his town of Dunce.

Very much influenced by Harry Potter, but not bad for the author who wrote most of it as a teen.
Young teens and older children should e
Emma
Aug 12, 2010 Emma rated it really liked it
Bran Hambric has a well-crafted plot, with excitement and action present throughout, giving a positive vibe to a novel with its basis grounded within fantasy – Nation writes with a talent that is hard to find, bringing together humour and creativity at just the right degree, creating a novel that is truly a pleasure to read.

I think the series can only get better with the characters being continuously developed and enhanced in meaningful and interesting way – a novel that leaves you wanting more
Miranda
Dec 08, 2009 Miranda rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Harry Potter Fan's
Recommended to Miranda by: No one
I was very unsure if to buy this book or not because I just thought 'He's just the Twilight Guy'. In the end I bought it. The book reminded me a lot of Harry Potter and that annoyed me a little. Kaleb is good at descriptions and has created and interesting story. I would be interesting in seeing a sequel. Lets see if Kaleb Nation can show that Bram Hambric is not just another new Harry Potter series
Elizabeth
Sep 26, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Holy crap! This book is fantastic. I love it, so very much. There were some random capitalization of letters/words and maybe a few grammatical errors here and there (very very few). The story is told flawlessly. I loved the melodramatics of some of the characters. Sewey cracked me up. And Rosie's line about heroes was very Spiderman-esque. Oh dear, I just can't tell you how amazing this book is. It's the cure to my Post-Potter Depression!
Jake
May 24, 2012 Jake rated it really liked it
So far I'm liking it- only just at the beginning. Listening to it on my way to Utah and back and forth to work. Its got a Harry Potter type comic relief, and so far a pretty catching plot.

UPDATE:

I finished the book. LOVED IT. It was very well written, good story development, consistently funny, good characters, and kept my attention.
Ryan Burt
For some reason I could not get into this book. Even on parts where I should hav ebeen invested in the well being of the main character nothing was there. I gave it 50 pages but gave up on this book. No reason really. Just wasnt working for me.
Melodee
Sep 21, 2011 Melodee rated it it was ok
This could've been much better, but there wasn't enough back story to really know what was going on. I kept waiting for things to be explained, but to no avail, so it left me disinterested. It was like trying to read the second book in a series without ever having read the first book.
Melissa
Aug 31, 2009 Melissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade
I've been trying to get through this book for about 3 weeks, and it's just not doing it for me. It hasn't captivated me at all. I have no desire to pick it up and keep reading. I think it's time for me to move on to another book!
Haley
Sep 22, 2010 Haley rated it it was amazing
amazing book. amazing characters. amazing plot. amazing author. i also like how when i was reading the other reviews and they were all saying that it was a rip-off of Harry Potter. *laughs* Kaleb JUST started reading Harry Potter.
Penny
Nov 12, 2009 Penny rated it did not like it
This book is total nonsense! It's a bunch of jabberwocky words that totally interrupt the flow of the story! I know it's for 9year olds and up, but please! But... I. will. finish. this. book.
Steven
Jul 02, 2014 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
No gnomes. No mages. Etcetera. Such is the motto of the city of Dunce, a calm and peaceful city that takes great pride in ridding its streets of all forms of magic. Like any other city, it has a bank, and running the bank is a man named Sewey, and Sewey has a family of four — one son and a daughter — and he has one “adopted” son named Bran Hambric, a boy of fourteen who mysteriously arrived in Sewey’s bank vault eight years earlier with a note in his hand. No one knows how Bran got there. Some s ...more
JilltheOWL
I don't always like comparing one book to another, but in this case it works. If you've enjoyed the Harry Potter books, and you're looking for another series that has magic, mystery and suspense, you need to try this book.

The plot starts out with a bang with Sewey (the man forced to adopt Bran after finding him in a bank vault) and Bran on the roof of the house trying to catch a thief. Instead they are attacked by some sort of creature that seems to want Bran. That starts Bran down the path to l
Aelvana
Dec 30, 2014 Aelvana rated it it was ok
Bran Hambric doesn't remember anything from before the morning when he woke up inside a bank vault. Magic, people whispered, but no one in Dunce does magic. Life since then has been more or less ordinary, but lately strange things have been happening. A burglar, men in black vans, and hints of magic haunt Bran. In the end, the answers may be more than he can handle...

This story is rather schizophrenic. The serious side, where ordinary Bran hunts down the secrets of his not-so-ordinary mom, provi
Kaylan
Nov 21, 2011 Kaylan rated it liked it
Bran Hambric: The Farfield Curse is one of those books you just can't decide whether to like it or not. My expectations were almost met, but the story line is old, and I was hoping for a new kind of adventure. There are plenty of things to say about this book, both good and bad.
The story takes place in a city called Dunce where gnomes and magic are prohibited. The main character, Bran Hambric, is a 14 year-old boy who is found in a bank safe at six years old. The "finders keepers" law regardin
  • Mokee Joe Is Coming (Mokee Joe, #1)
  • Knightley Academy (Knightley Academy, #1)
  • Quest for Merlin's Map (Jumper Chronicles, #1)
  • The Ever Breath
  • Walt Disney World Trivia Book: Secrets, History & Fun Facts Behind the Magic: Volume 1
  • The Resisters (The Resisters, #1)
  • Guardian Angel (Aramov, #2)
  • The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls
  • Falcon in the Glass
  • The Seer (Truesight, #2)
  • Magical Mischief
  • Zombie Tag
  • Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror (Falcon Quinn, #1)
  • Alvor
  • Awakening on Orbis 4 (The Softwire #4)
  • The Pyramid of Souls (Magickeepers, #2)
  • Popular Vote
  • The Midnight Charter
KALEB NATION is a producer and Internet personality. With the help of an online army known as the Nationeers, his writing and videos have been seen over 50 million times. A black belt in taekwondo, Kaleb lives in California with a cantankerous chinchilla named Chilla.
More about Kaleb Nation...

Bran Hambric (2 books)
  • The Specter Key (Bran Hambric, #2)