Start by marking “People Who Walk in Darkness” as Want to Read:
People Who Walk in Darkness

People Who Walk in Darkness (Porfiry Rostnikov #15)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  24 reviews

After a very long absence, Forge is delighted to be bringing back one of Edgar-Award winning Stuart Kaminsky’s best loved characters, Inspector Porfiry Petrovich Rostnikov.Rostnikov is a Russian bear of a man, an honest policeman in a very dishonest post-Soviet Russia.Known as “The Washtub,” Rostnikov is one of the most engaging and relevant characters in crime fiction,
Published April 27th 2009 by Forge (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about People Who Walk in Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People Who Walk in Darkness

Rob Kitchin
People Who Walk in Darkness has a fast paced plot involving many threads. The plot and characters hold much potential, but the narrative failed to deliver in many ways. The storytelling felt workman-like and rushed, with not enough attention to detail. My suspicion is it was written to a formula, by an old hand who has a track record of churning out a couple of books a year – others of which are much more finely honed. The result is flat prose, under-developed characters and scenes, and a lack o ...more
Nadine
Rosnikov is a great character and the setting of present-day Russia is fascinating, but don't start with this book. The earlier ones are better and worth a try if you read mysteries for setting.
Andrew
There is apparently a diamond smuggling ring operating in post-Soviet Russia – not surprisingly, it is a murderous diamond smuggling ring. Inspector Rostnikov has been sent to a small, old diamond mine in Siberia to investigate – where he also encounters an issue of a more personal nature. Meanwhile, his colleagues are following up leads in Moscow and in Kiev, involving sahdy diamond merchants suffering from DeBeers Envy and cover models and Botswanian nationals and organized crime. All the whil ...more
Stephanie
By my count, this is the last book that prolific writer and Northwestern University Professor, Stuart Kaminsky, published before his death to hepatitis in October 2009 (A Whisper to the Living was published posthumously in 2010). Although People who Walk in Darkness (a reference to both the criminally minded and diamond miners--both the subject of this book) is not Kaminsky's best work, it does not disappoint. Kaminsky had an amazing gift for sentence construction, and his insight into the Russi ...more
Kat
This is a v. popular book with great reviews. Not as good as the excellent Child 44, last summer's mystery set in Russia. I guess there must be one each summer... :) It was OK, but I didn't like the v. frequent (every 3-5 pages) action shifts between the mine in Siberia, Moscow, Kiev and London. It made it seem more like a script for a thriller movie than a novel. The mystery is almost irrelevant as the focus seems to be on the very quirky characters (main hero talks to his wooden leg and visits ...more
Carolyn J. Rose
Keeping track of multi-syllable names in another language is always a challenge for my already challenged brain, but I stuck with it and enjoyed this tale of diamond smuggling from Siberia. The twists and turns kept me hanging, but I wanted a little more explanation at the end.
This was, however, the first book I'd read in this series, so the fault for that could be mine for not "doing my homework" and starting with book I.
Sheila
I love Stuart Kaminsky - his melancholy characters struggling to retain an ethical core AND a sense of humour. I always worry that maybe this is his last book because he's written about a million. Rostnikov is good, as usual, and there are the usual twists and turns coming together in a more and more improbable way, but one we're happy to follow.
Jimmy Tarlau
I enjoy these Russian mystery stories (as in Martin Cruz Smith). At first I didn't like the Kaminsky books as much but I've changed my opinion of them. Post Communist Russia is as dark and brooding as it was during the socialist regimes. The plots aren't that great but the atmosphere makes the book compelling.
Taunya Harvill
I read a review that gave this author a hard time for inaccuracies regarding names and places in the former U.S.S.R. I have read a few Russian authors and the details in these books never tarnished the thrill. I really love this series.
Eddie
This is the 16th Inspector Rostnikov book. Always a good read. Rostinikov survived bureaucracy in the Soviet days and continues to solve crimes in the post-soviet environment. Interesting take on immigration in the new Russia.
Lynn
Kaminsky probably should have stopped the Rostnikov series with this book, which more or less wraps up most of the character storylines in ways that are consistent with the characters' histories and personalities.
Tom O'Connor
I really enjoyed this book, always like the Rosnikov books. Just a classic mystery, with the characters from the series continuing to be fleshed out. I heard a rumor that the author has died, don't know if it is true?
Judith
I found this very disappointing. I had a difficult time following the characters due to the Russian names. There was no one with whom I could relate or that I respected. The plot was also disappointing.
Sandi
Finally, after a seven year gap, another Rostnikov adventure. I like all of Kaminksy's series but this is my favorite and hope that he writes another sooner rather than later.
Sharron
Porfiry is a fabulous character but Kaminsky has written better stories. that said, I enjoyed this.
Fred
The trade of illicit diamonds is inter-continental by nature and world-wide in scale.
Andrea
I like the Rostnikov character, but this particular book was only okay.
Elise Hamilton
A predictable but well-written cop novel with a twist: the setting is Russia.
Jaci
Kaminsky could publish his grocery list and I'd like it. And I love Rostnikov.
Franny
Okay in a pinch. Russian names difficult to 'pronounce.'
Leslie Ferrari
Another great Rostnikov novel, like visiting an old friend.
Bradley
Inspector Rostnikov heads to Siberia
Jeanoc
Another good one fromthis series
Alison C.
Alison C. marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Natalie Lowe
Natalie Lowe marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Maigret Afraid
  • That Day the Rabbi Left Town
  • Death of a Village (Hamish Macbeth, #19)
  • The Doctrines That Divide: A Fresh Look at the Historic Doctrines That Separate Christians
  • Pronghorns of the Third Reich (MysteriousPress.com Bibliomystery)
  • Rizzo's War (Joe Rizzo, #1)
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Blue Religion: New Stories about Cops, Criminals, and the Chase
  • The Long Ball: The Summer of '75 -- Spaceman, Catfish, Charlie Hustle, and the Greatest World Series Ever Played
  • Elementary, My Dear Watkins (Smart Chick Mysteries, Book 3)
  • Capitol Conspiracy (Ben Kincaid, #16)
  • Trotsky: A Graphic Biography
  • Serpent Gate (Kevin Kerney, #3)
  • Heart Failure
  • Trial Run
  • Somebody Owes Me Money (Hard Case Crime #44)
  • The Betrayal (Precinct 11, #2)
  • Stalin's Ghost (Arkady Renko, #6)
  • A Blind Goddess (Billy Boyle World War II, #8)
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2007.

Stuart M. Kaminsky is author of 50 published novels, 5 biographies, 4 textbooks and 35 short stories. He also has screenwriting credits on four produced films including ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, ENEMY TERRITORY, A WOMAN IN THE WIND and HIDDEN FEARS. He is a past president of the Mystery Writers of America and has been nomi
More about Stuart M. Kaminsky...
Death of a Dissident (Porfiry Rostnikov, #1) A Cold Red Sunrise (Porfiry Rostnikov, #5) Murder on the Yellow Brick Road (Toby Peters, #2) Bullet for a Star (Toby Peters, #1) Dead of Winter (CSI: New York, #1)