Start by marking “The Twelth Day of July” as Want to Read:
The Twelth Day of July

The Twelth Day of July (Kevin and Sadie #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  380 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Tommy and Sadie Jackson are already looking forward to the 12th day of July which is a Protestant celebration day. Meanwhile, Catholic Kevin McCoy is out causing trouble in the Protestant part of town. What will happen when Sadie and Kevin meet? Can they become friends when everyone else in Northern Ireland is so full of hatred against the other religion?
Published 1995 by Puffin (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelth Day of July, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelth Day of July

Spiral-python Schnzrpunk
This novel really moved me. I first read it as a 13 year old, and it's still in my main bookshelf. The romance between Kevin and Sadie led me to investigations of Catholicism and wider Protestantism than my family's Anglican background. I'm a sucker for hard fought love set against violent backdrops... The first three Kevin and Sadie novels were intensely memorable. They got a bit dreary and bleak after their escape to grey old England. But the story inspired me to a lifelong interest in Ireland ...more
Georgie
a fascinating insight into the Troubles in Northern Ireland, written at the time when it was still happening. 'The Twelfth Day of July' tells the story of the conflict from the point of view of two teenagers - Kevin, a Catholic, and Sadie, a Protestant. Both are fiercely loyal to their respective sides, and engage in raids/attacks on the other side - graffiti, house breaking, and eventually violence. As much as the book is about the larger scale conflict between the two religious groups, it's al ...more
CLM
Like many other teens, I was captivated by this five book series about a Catholic boy and Protestant girl in Belfast who fall in love, thus upsetting their families.

Lingard's website describes the book thus:

It all began with a dare. The idea of sneaking into the Protestant area to daub slogans under the mural of King Billy seems thrilling and exciting to Kevin and his Catholic friends. But feelings run high in Belfast and in the end paint-splashing turns into something far more dangerous. The on
Nicola
It's been quite a few years since I first encountered Kevin and Sadie. This book was written early in 'The Troubles' and I was reading these books as they were coming to an end. Their story did have an impact on me in my early teens. Often it can be quite disappointing to revisit childhood books - they sometimes just don't live up to our memories of them but rereading this as an adult I still think it is brilliant. It's well written and manages to cope with a tricky subject matter fanstically. T ...more
☆Ciara☆
*Still working on.*
I sort of think that anyone who's trying to write a story about star-crossed lovers seriously needs to read these books. This is how it's done. I know Kevin and Sadie aren't together in this first book, but it's a part of the story of their romance, which is practical and not too lovey-dovey while remaining realistic and touching. The series shows the realities of loving someone from a group you've been taught to hate all your life, the self-doubt, the distrust, the clashes. T
Matti Karjalainen
Aug 13, 2014 Matti Karjalainen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pohjois-Irlannista ja 70-luvun nuortenkirjoista kiinnostuneille
Joan Lingardin "Heinäkuun kahdestoista" (Otava, 1974) on lapsille ja nuorille suunnattu romaani, jossa käsitellään Pohjois-Irlannin konfliktia alle viisitoistavuotiaiden lasten ja nuorten näkökulmasta. Se on samalla Kevinista ja Sadiesta kertovan viisiosaisen romaanisarjan ensimmäinen osa, joskin suomeksi kyseistä sarjaa julkaistiin vain kaksi kolme osaa.

Tarina on itsessään melko perinteinen: katolinen ja protestanttinen tyttö tapaavat Boynen taistelun vuosipäivää edeltävän oranialaismarssin all
Lari Don
It can be very risky rereading a book you remember from your childhood. I've been rereading my Diana Wynne Jones books regularly for years, and I know they can cope with the passage of time because they are mostly set out of time. But it was a bit of a risk to reread what I remembered as a shocking, gripping, highly contemporary, highly political book which I first read in the 1970s. But I'm really glad I did! The Twelfth Day of July is about the political and religious situation in Northern Ire ...more
F23+1
Part Two (see F23 for part one :-)

Personally, I preferred BREAKFAST ON PLUTO. Although, both of these books don’t fall in to the range of books that I would normally read. I normally read thrillers or crime fiction. However, once I got into both of the books I did enjoy them; as a result I think that I might try to source some more of Patrick McCabe’s books. To be completely honest, to start off with, I did find THE TWELFTH DAY OF JULY quite dull. Nonetheless, I did try to follow it in class and
Kay (Sophie) Cairns
Garland
I read this when I was 12 years old... My first set text for high school.
I was never much of a reader in my childhood years. Whenever I read, I would immediately lose interest. I guess I just hadn't found the power of text, or seem to even understand what books were trying to say to me.

But this book was somehow the first book I managed to finish reading... and really enjoy it. Yes, it was a school text set for purposes for education. But I found myself visiting my new high school library and bor
Maria
I read this many,many moons ago, at 13 year of age and loved it! Great teen read
Sally906
The twelfth day of July is an important date in the Irish Protestant calendar and teenage Sadie and her community are preparing for the celebrations when for a bit of fun a young Catholic lad, Kevin, sneaks over and writes anti Protestant slogans on a wall near Sadie's house. This starts a series of tit for tat reprisals and someone ends up getting hurt.

Set in the 1970s the book takes a look at the troubles in Ireland in an impartial way. It is the first in a series of books that Kevin and Sadie
Dina
I read this for school and actually really liked it. Review will most probably be coming in a few weeks...
David
Oct 31, 2011 David rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in other cultures.
I had to read this at school - many years ago now - so I don't remember much about it. I remember I enjoyed it. I've never forgotten the book so it must have made an impression on me. I think it was a quite realistic look at life in Northern Ireland back in the day. Not that the country seems that much different today.
Maria M. Elmvang
The interactions of Protestants and Catholics in Belfast around the 12th of July. Again quite enjoyable. However, Joan's books are aimed at a younger audience than me, and for both of them I think, I would have enjoyed them more if I'd read them as an early teen and now reread them, so I had the nostalgic bonus to 'boost' them.
Sam
Admittedly I read this book after Across the Barricades when it is in fact the first book in the Kevin and Sadie story. Again this book addresses the overall situation with appropriate subtly and consideration without condoning or promoting the beliefs or behaviour that is a principle part of the story.
Neil
Thinking about doing this with my 6th graders. The language is probably a bit too easy for them, but it's a good story well told. I'd be interested to see how someone who hadn't grown up in Northern Ireland decoded some of the slang...
Graceanne
I first read this book in high school back in 1985. It made such an impact on me as a 12 year old that I just had to read it again as an adult. It was hard to find, but I managed to get a copy. Very easy read.
Sally
I ate this series up when I was about 14 or 15! It was the first time I'd really heard anything of the troubles in Northern Ireland and I did find them to be quite fascinating.
penelopewanders
Had read the second in this series first, by accident. Decided to check this one out for a class, and have now ordered it. Nice step towards approaching the conflicts in Ireland.
Fredin
I read this book when I was twelve years old. It was such a great read had to read it again. I am currently reading it on my Kindle.
Patricia Samms
Loved this book. Read this in school and taught me all about the Troubles in Northern Ireland.
Deirdriu Mcquaid
Great to re-read this first book in Joan lingard series.
Charlotte Lawlor
Read this as a child and loved it. Really stayed with me x
Najmeh
unfortunately, i had to read that book in the school.
M. K. Hoggerl
I think, it was too short...
Sasha
Really good book to read
  • Sarah's Story (Quantock Quartet, #1)
  • Ten Stories about Smoking
  • In the Beginning: A New Interpretation of Genesis
  • The Haunting
  • Half of the Human Race
  • The Story of Spain: The Dramatic History of Europe's Most Fascinating Country
  • Caesars' Wives: The Women Who Shaped the History of Rome
  • Belfast Confidential
  • Fields of Home (Children of the Famine)
  • Democracy: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Woman Reader
  • The Blessing
  • The Demon Headmaster
  • The Uses and Abuses of History
  • The Diddakoi
  • The Last Witchfinder
  • The Switch
  • The Tunnel Behind the Waterfall (The Magician's House Quartet, #3)
Lingard has written novels for both adults and children. She is probably most famous for the teenage-aimed Kevin and Sadie series, which have sold over one million copies and have been reprinted many times since.

Her first novel Liam's Daughter was an adult-orientated novel published in 1963. Her first children's novel was The Twelfth Day of July (the first of the five Kevin and Sadie books) in 197
More about Joan Lingard...
Across the Barricades (Kevin and Sadie, #2) Into Exile (Kevin and Sadie, #3) A Proper Place (Kevin and Sadie, #4) Hostages to Fortune (Kevin and Sadie, #5) Natasha's Will