Start by marking “George Washington's Breakfast” as Want to Read:
George Washington's Breakfast

George Washington's Breakfast

George Washington Allen, a boy who never gives up until he finds out what he wants to know, is determined to learn all there is to know about his namesake?including what the first president ate for breakfast!?The sprightly, humorous story and likable colored illustrations bring history alive and make research meaningful.? --Booklist?A delightful book?The plot combines hist ...more
Published February 2nd 1998 by Puffin Books (first published February 22nd 1969)

To ask other readers questions about George Washington's Breakfast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Washington's Breakfast

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This book is outdated, but I love it anyway. A boy wants to find out what George Washington ate for breakfast, so that he can have the same thing. It's a wonderful story for introducing the research process to children. I wish it could be updated to include researching online. Still, a nice place to start.
Nicole
Sep 12, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for humanizing George Washington. You learn obscure details about George Washington including his shoe size, the names of his 10 hunting dogs, and that his famously ruined teeth got that way by using them to crack walnuts when he was young.

The ending makes for an easy mini-lesson on inferences.
Am.Aversa
This book tells the life of George Washington through the eyes of a young boy. The young boy was named George, after Washington and shared the same birthday as the former president.
Genre: Historical Fiction
Samantha Meyer
Apr 20, 2012 Samantha Meyer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eced-221
Summary
George Washington's Breakfast by Jean Fritz is about a young boy named George W. Allen who is "...proud of two things. His name and his birthday." George feels connected to George Washington because he shares the same name and they share the same birthday. Ever since he realized that, he wanted to find out everything he could about George Washington. He begins to find out obscure facts like the names of President Washington's dogs and horses. He found out that they both like to count thin
Autumn Miller
This story is about a boy named George Washington Allen who thinks he's practically related to George Washington because they have to same name and birthday. The boy knows everything about George Washington but the main thing he wanted to know is what George Washington ate for breakfast. So his grandmother promises him that if he finds out that she'll make it for the boy. So the boy searches everywhere for George Washingtons breakfast. From the library to all the way to Washington, D.C. He gets ...more
Jennifer Tarmann
Feb 12, 2017 Jennifer Tarmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read along with our study of the Revolutionary War. Fritz does a great job of weaving Washington's life story in with the story of a modern-day little boy. My kids enjoyed it and remember much more about Washington than they might have otherwise.
Laura Verret
A little piece of fiction from the author of And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?, Will You Sign Here, John Hancock?, and Can’t You Make Them Behave, King George?

The Story.

George W. Allen was named after George Washington – the George Washington. So naturally, he took a great interest in the fellow.

He knew some things about George Washington – like when he was born and that he was a war general and later a president. He knew about Washington’s horses and dogs and that he was over six feet tall.
Jared Little
This book, though actually a story about a young boy whose name is George Washington, reads like a biography of the man himself. George Washington Allen is a boy who obviously shares a namesake with the famous first president. He seeks to find out everything there is to know about his hero. The book chronicles the life of the famous soldier and politician from Virginia and tells it through the eyes of our protagonist. The book gives examples of how students can do research to find answers to que ...more
I did not think much of this short, somewhat dated book by children's history writer Jean Fritz. But then the third grade teacher with whom I was student teaching "enriched" my appreciation for the novel by preparing breakfast for our students and having them dress in "colonial" attire. The kids had a blast and many of them began to look into other Jean Fritz works thus expanding their knowledge of American history. Just goes to show what a little nudge can do for a book. (Granted, our hoecakes ...more
Heather
This wasn't my favorite of the books we've read about Washington. We didm however, learn a few things we hadn't known before.

I thought the Grandma exceptionally cranky and I sure wouldn't want her for my grandma. I also didn't appreciate how the son yelled at his parents when he was angry.

One of my sons really enjoyed it and is telling everyone what a great book it is. I'm not sure if we'll read it again. It's a quick read though....
Etta Mcquade
Did you know George Washington ate breakfast "about seven o'clock on three small Indian hoe cakes and as many dishes of tea?" That's what George W. Allen, learned about the man whom he was named for because the two were born on the same day. Not only that, the curious young lad also learned other incidentals about our first president, such as, he had 10 hunting dogs, all named, and he liked to count things. A delightful book, and nicely illustrated, too.
Amy
I felt this was a really creative take on the subject. As a homeschooler that tends to follow the interest of my child, I could really relate to this story as the family tries many tacts to answer the son's question. Would love to have followed up the read with a visit to Mt. Vernon too!. Someday.

We did make hoecakes though (sans hoe.)
Sharyn L.
Not quite a chapter book, but longer than a picture book. My second graders love this story. One "historical" fact- the boy in the story uses a card catalog to look for books- no online search for books. Includes a picture of a card catalog. We read this book in February, along with other books about Lincoln and Washington. Genre: Realistic fiction.
Penny
This is a great book to read to children about discovering their own answers to their questions about famous people by using the library system and reference librarians, visiting historical sites, and engaging the whole family in research. Not to mention is does tell you what George Washington ate for breakfast!
Marilyn
I adore Jean Fritz. Darling story. I was itching to know with George the main character!
Nancy
May 17, 2015 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a child. I've read it over and over to my students.
Caren
A simple read aloud choice for younger grades that would open up discussions on reaching and Washington.
Could serve hoecakes.
Monicaaa
Jan 08, 2013 Monicaaa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, history
Don't judge me, I read kids books at work sometimes. If they make me laugh or keep me entertained, they get a few stars. *shrugs*
Matt
May 04, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With original cover art by Paul Galdone, mine was paperback
Art
Simple and fun to read. Very informative. enjoyable.
Melissa
Jan 23, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great work of historical fiction set as an adventure by a young boy wanting to find the answer to a simple question.
Gina Buccellato
Aug 14, 2016 Gina Buccellato rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite kids books from when I was little! So cute and different!
Delona
Jan 19, 2009 Delona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book. Didn't learn much important but I did learn that George Washington ate Indian hoecakes for breakfast.
Bree
Jul 13, 2012 Bree rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-history
Notes:
kid named GW has things in common with the first pres
a bunch of random fun-facts
didn't like it
Rebecca Snodgrass
I didn't really like this book, and I don't think my kids will either. The pictures are a bit boring, but you get to see into Washington's life.
Karen
May 23, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: jacob
Jacob read for his 15min Read-Aloud challenge...May 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Adrian Valentin
Adrian Valentin rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Carson
Carson rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Susan B.
Susan B. rated it liked it
May 13, 2016
  • If You Lived At The Time Of The American Revolution
  • Meet George Washington
  • Charlie the Ranch Dog
  • Fred Stays With Me!
Jean Fritz is a children’s author who has a fascination with writing historical fictions. She was born on November 16, 1915, in Hankow, China to missionary parents. After living in China for 13 years, Fritz and her family moved back to the United States. Beginning her career with an English degree, Fritz became an award-winning and respected author. She has received an honor for every book that sh ...more
More about Jean Fritz...