Start by marking “The Time Book: A Brief History from Lunar Calendars to Atomic Clocks” as Want to Read:
The Time Book: A Brief History from Lunar Calendars to Atomic Clocks

The Time Book: A Brief History from Lunar Calendars to Atomic Clocks

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  8 reviews
It’s about time! A fascinating primer explores what it means and how it has been measured, from the waggles of a honeybee to the workings of an atomic clock.

What is time? Why does it fl y when we’re having fun? When did we start keeping track of it — and why do we measure it in such bizarre ways? Explore these and many other timely questions, such as how the first calendar
Published May 12th 2009 by Candlewick Press (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Time Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Time Book

Robin
The illustrations which combine photos with drawings on differing colored pages draw you to this book on the history of time. Many of the illustrations combine humor like a flying clock, with supporting details for the text on that page. The text also plays along with the illustrations by taking on the shape of a planet or pyramid or copying a shape in the illustration. The text is divided up into 10 chapters, each with a slightly different topic but the chapters are not titled and the topic of ...more
Lashaunda Brown
The Time Book A Brief History from Lunar Calendars to Atomic Clocks
Overview: This book details ways in which time has been counted among different cultures and time periods.

W.4.2 Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
RI.4.5 Describe the overall structure (e.g., chronology, comparison, cause/effect, problem/solution) of events, ideas, concepts, or information in a text or part of a text.

Focus: Compare and Contrast

Step-by-Step:
1. Introduce
Ginger
Who knew a book on time could be so interesting? a detailed description of how time has been measured over time, which was very clear in the beginning but became muddier as time went on, in spite of the fact that the author claims the measurement of time has become incredibly accurate.
Terry
May 12, 2009 Terry added it
Shelves: non-fiction
The information in this book is excellent. However, I fear the illustrations in this chapter book will not draw a child into it.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Margie
Dec 13, 2011 Margie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: lars
This is one of those books that I know was fabulous because I keep thinking about it. I'm getting it again from the library so boy #1 can read it. It has a lot of text - set up in chapters, but still a picture book format.
Marianna
I found this book to be fascinating. Time is something that is always on the mind, but not something that I had ever though much about as having a history. It's interesting to discover how time developed through the ages.
Heather
So it's a pretty brief introduction to time and calendars and time-telling devices throughout history, but it is a very interesting one.
Sam Bloom
I really enjoyed this - very interesting, of course, but I especially love Richard Holland's illustrations (he also did the Museum Book).
Biswapriyo Nath
Biswapriyo Nath marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Marcia
Marcia marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Syed salman ahmed
Syed salman ahmed marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
Jolene
Jolene marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Mary Lynn
Mary Lynn marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Wednesday
Wednesday marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Abhisek Halder
Abhisek Halder marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
Fred Hughes
Fred Hughes marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2012
Katharine
Katharine marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2011
Timothy Hinkle
Timothy Hinkle marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2010
Daniel Moore
Daniel Moore marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2010
Luann
Luann marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2010
Martin Jenkins, a conservation biologist, has written several nonfiction books for children, including Ape, Grandma Elephant’s in Charge, The Emperor’s Egg, and Chameleons Are Cool. He lives in Cambridge, England.
More about Martin Jenkins...
Can We Save the Tiger? The Emperor's Egg Ape Titanic Jonathan Swift's Gulliver