Start by marking “Pandora Project: Runaway Star” as Want to Read:
Pandora Project: Runaway Star

Pandora Project: Runaway Star

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  202 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Elios Campbell is working on a top-secret project: translating messages from the Pandora, an alien spaceship on the edge of human territory. A favor from his mentor drops Elios into the arms of Sender Kinnison, a pilot who seems like everything Elios has ever wanted.

Their attraction is immediate and threatens to lead to more in a hurry. Even Elios' wary heart and Sender's
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition
Published January 28th 2009 by Torquere Press

To ask other readers questions about Pandora Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pandora Project

My Fair Captain by J.L. LangleyThe Englor Affair by J.L. LangleyBroken Boundaries by Evangeline AndersonAn Uncommon Whore by Belinda McBrideOutcast Mine by Jamie Craig
Best Gay Spacemen
85th out of 174 books — 324 voters
I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal RoseLatakia by J.F.  SmithSpecial Forces by Aleksandr VoinovStrength of the Pack by Kendall McKennaCut & Run by Madeleine Urban
Best Gay Military
117th out of 201 books — 422 voters

More lists with this book...

Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews
I really liked the characters and their struggles with their religion and duties, family, love and happiness. Even if the story takes place in the future (with nice world-building and an authentic feeling), the problems addressed are relevant in our time and give the story depth. I felt the sympathy I had for the characters made me like them and feel for them, even when their decision hurt others. I knew where the decisions came from, could understand the why and love the way the outfall was dea ...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I enjoyed this one a lot. The world is extremely fascinating as well as the conflict between the characters and their duties but this was one book I didn't want to put down.

I loved how broken both these characters are. Elios, an important linguist, is afraid to get into a relationship because of how hurt he still is over his last lover leaving him for someone else right when they were supposed to start a family. Sender, a pilot, is ashamed of his desire for other men since it's against his relig
Shira Anthony
Apr 01, 2011 Shira Anthony rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-slash, fantasy, sci-fi
I've read several other books by this talented pair of authors, "Tatterdemalion" and "One Real Thing," both of which I really loved. Although this book was a good, solid read (hence the title of my review), it was not the duo's best. Yes, the editing is excellent and the writing/narrative is strong, but it left me feeling a bit disappointed.

(view spoiler)
Vivian
Oct 01, 2013 Vivian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, romance-scifi
Not what I expected from this author. The science fiction elements weren't very strong and the societies were based on ancient Rome and Early Christian communities. The story was character driven and revolved around a highly skilled linguist, Elios, and his interactions with a conservatively-reared fighter pilot, Sender. The main conflict is Sender's internal crisis of faith caused by his desires.

While I appreciate this is a big issue for many individuals marginalized by religion due to non-het
Sue
May 19, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
I did enjoy this sci-fi story, set some time in the quite distant future where Earth has a number of colonies which are widely different from each other.
I was fascinated by Luna, where most of the action occurs, and Elios' Roman religion. I wasn't sure how it came about that early gods were being worshipped in this setting, and would like to have seen more of the religion and how it's part of society: it's intriguing. Other religions were mentioned too, and I hope to see more of these cultures
Mandapanda
3.25 stars. A moving romance coupled with a fascinating setting lift this story above the rest.

This story had an amazing amount of depth for its length. Elios is a linguist working on deciphering the alien language coming from an enormous (but deserted) space vessel on the outreaches of the galaxy. Sender is the leader of a small team of space pilots competing with other teams for the chance to accompany the five-year research trip to investigate this mysterious vessel (called Pandora).

Both men
Kassa
Aug 15, 2009 Kassa rated it really liked it
Elios Campbell and Sender Kinnison are part of a top secret government project that was formed when messages from an alien spaceship where heard with a sense of urgency and warning. The appropriate response of course is to build a similar spaceship to go meet the aliens and see what they’ve been saying. While the premise sounds like a cliché gambit, don’t worry; the authors have delivered a superbly written story filled with engaging characters and enough hints of the project to grab interest wi ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Religions and cultures collide when Elios and Sender meet. Sender is from a conservative planet which is in poverty. Leaving the planet was the only way for him to have a better life and give his parents a chance to have another child. As a pilot in the military on Luna, Sender has it made. If only he could find a person to marry and be with for the rest of his life. The problem? He's gay and extrapolating from context clues we learn this is a bad thing based on how he's raised.

This story gives
Rosie
Mar 10, 2015 Rosie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hope there is a sequel. The world the authors set up has left me wanting more. I want to know more about Pandora especially, and I'd also love to read more about Elios and Sender and their life together, how Aric reacts to Elios' new family, and I'd love for Macy to get some happiness of his own too.
Theresa
Jul 02, 2015 Theresa rated it did not like it
This book did not match its new title of Escaped Velocity. It was slow and draggy immediately after the MCs hooked up and fell instantly in love at the beginning of the book. I forced myself to skim through the boring stuff to the abrupt ending. For dragging so much for the majority of the book, the story line did not flush out the details of the big reunion finale after the separation phase. It dealt with each individual going through his own self-realization process, or rather getting his shit ...more
Theresa
Jul 02, 2015 Theresa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book did not match its new title of Escaped Velocity. It was slow and draggy immediately after the MCs hooked up and fell instantly in love at the beginning of the book. I forced myself to skim through the boring stuff to the abrupt ending. For dragging so much for the majority of the book, the story line did not flush out the details of the MCs finally reuniting, or rather getting their shit together. It dealt with each individual going through their own self-realization process, but not w ...more
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
I don't know why but I didn't enjoy this. I've enjoyed other Anah Crow so because of that I finished Escape Velocity. Three days later I can't honestly remember what it was about.
It really wasn't very science fictiony.
Trent
Apr 23, 2015 Trent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book over a long period of time with a lot of other books being read in the meantime. I would read this whenever I wanted something fun, light-hearted, and sexy, which is why I read all M/M romance novels. In that context it certainly doesn't disappoint. The beginning of the book is a fun, slightly angsty romp through getting to know the characters and them getting to know each other. The book takes a surprisingly serious turn near the end but it handles it well and the last few chap ...more
Charming
Not nearly enough science fiction. The book ended just as it was about to get interesting.
❣✐❃ Michaelle ❃✐❣
4.5 Stars

A M/M Romance Group Team Spin Spellapalooza Challenge read. (Go Team 6 - Living In Spin!!!)

I am a sucker for a scifi romance and this was amazingly well-told. I loved the alternate reality vision of what Earth might have evolved into, the space exploration. It had some elements of BSG that I loved - the differing colonies, the poly families (well, that was more prevalent on the show Caprica), the desire for some to escape the lives their parents' beliefs & backgrounds limited them
Kerry  sullivan
This is the summary off the back of the book.
Linguist Elios Campbell is thrilled to be granted flight time in a Colonial Guard fighter jet, until he catches sight of his pilot. Spending time with Sender Kinnison holds even more appeal than the flight itself.

Sender's desire for other men is forbidden by his faith and his family. He tries to resist his attraction to Elios, who is unlike anyone he's ever known. When he fails, the incredible sex quickly leads to something deeper, forcing Sender t
Alex
Overall
I went into Escape Velocity with extremely high hopes, previously having enjoyed Crow and Fox's One Real Thing. However, my initial read left me disappointed and flummoxed on how the writing could feel so weak compared to ORT. By the end, I was enjoying the story more and was left overall satisfied (althought still disappointed). I wrote a review reflecting that, put it aside and read some other books, then came back to Escape Velocity.

While it didn't transform into an amazing novel betwe
Josephine Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
First published as Runaway Star and recently revised by it's authors, Escape Velocity was an impulse its-on-sale! purchase. Concerning a colony on the cusp of breaking the strange musical language of the Pandorans. Elios is a top governmental linguist and is hard at work trying to figure out what is up with those ships that are just on the horizon of their sensor scans. On this almost-Utopian colony, there isn't very much budgeted for defense, yeah, I know, and this is causing unrest as long as ...more
Marissa
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; SEPT 2013
Narrator: Charles Carr

I only bought this because of Charles Carr. It's a pity the story couldn't match Carr's narrating skills and I also couldn't help the impression that he wasn't all that impressed with the book either. If you really want to experience Carr's skill with characterization, listen to The Hardest Thing by James Lear. Not just the sample - it's too short to be useful - but the entire book.

I've enjoyed this writing duo's books before but this one fell
Keri123179
Jan 22, 2013 Keri123179 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved-it
I really debated on whether or not to even read this book.
After reading the reviews on this book along with my misgivings about reading space-related books, I was unsure if I would even like this book.

I am so glad that I chose to read this anyway.

Even though the background was somewhat confusing, I felt like I was missing a previous book with the information I needed to know what the goals in space were.

I found that the story itself was great, I loved the relationship development between the tw
Erica
Jun 16, 2015 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler)
Nik
The book started off quite solidly. Elios and Sen and their slow build relationship- I loved.So, I continued to read along and then I got to the angsty portion of the story. I don't know exactly what about it that was off putting for me...it almost felt too short, or unfinished in some way. I mean there was defined angst and situations but it was visited so briefly it was like blink and you missed it. For it to be the pivotal point...you made the turn fast.

Over all a really good story. I hope t
Holly
May 21, 2015 Holly marked it as didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, m-m, scribd
DNF at 25%.
Meggie
Jan 05, 2012 Meggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, romance
The story was interesting and pulling enough.
Sender was a strange silent character. His ideas about living his life in a sin were old fetched and only shown us how weak as a character he was. He was boring with his doubts and silent sadness. I rather read about strong willed characters who are not full of self doubts.
On other hand, Elios was warm, tragic character and as a reader I felt pity for him, even if was stronger one in this relationship.
At least we got an HEA ending, which was realis
Danyele Johnson
My reaction after finishing and looking for the sequel:

description

I really liked both characters! And the setting of the story was so interesting! I was eagerly soaking in every chapter. The one thing is, after I was done I was eagerly looking for the next book in the series. I can only hope there is to be one sometime in the future! Great job, Diane and Anah!
clear skies
Oct 29, 2014 clear skies rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, sci-fi, kids, m-m
Meh.

I was told not shown.
Ani
Sep 23, 2013 Ani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, ebook, 2013
A handful of cliches in a fantastic setting that sets the tone for this sci-fi romance. The religious themes were handled well and I found both Elios and Sender to be wonderful characters. I wish we got to see more of how Katy reacted to Elios and Sender, but it isn't a very long book. The ending was interesting, open ended, but left me wanting a bit more. Still, I'm satisfied. 4/5 stars.
Zuyuan
Jul 23, 2011 Zuyuan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It has good elements but all coming unbalance. The first half are too slow and too much about sex. Problems solved too easily in a few sentences. Even I expected a si-fi and found that it's not (just happened in some AU world that pp lived in space and story opened like some of si-fi but it's really not the one), I still want to like it but really can't.
Ingrid
Feb 10, 2010 Ingrid rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I should give it 3,5 star. There are a few things that I like about this book and few things that I like less. It's a sci-fi ( dystopian) and I very much like the world they have built and most of the story. It was too mushy in places for my taste.
  • Spice ‘n’ Solace (Galactic Alliance #1)
  • Dark Edge of Honor
  • Outcast Mine
  • Off World (Off World, #1)
  • Gravitational Attraction
  • Sky Riders (Skybound, #1)
  • Lover & Commander
  • Turbulence (Turbulence #1)
  • Teacher Plus Two (In the Eyes, #2)
  • Storms and Stars
  • The Usual Apocalypse (The Society #2)
  • Starfall
  • 18% Gray (Task Force Iota, #1)
  • Kidnapped (The Infinitum Government, #1)
  • Different Senses
  • Blind Space
  • Knight Errant (Knight Errant, #1)
  • Healing in His Wings (Healing #1)
Under Construction!

F.A.Q.

Do you want to participate in Generic_Author_Event?
Drop me a line, please! If you're looking for a book for donation or a blog post from me, I'm usually cool with that.
Are you going to write a sequel to Some_Book_You_Wrote?
The up front answer is no, unless the book cover indicates that it's part of a series. If there's going to be a sequel to a book, you'll know once I'
More about Anah Crow...