Start by marking “Chaosbound (Runelords, #8)” as Want to Read:
Chaosbound (Runelords, #8)

Chaosbound (The Runelords #8)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,149 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
The world of the Runelords has been combined by magic with another parallel world to form a new one, the beginning of a process that may unify all worlds into the one true world.

This story picks up after the events of The Wyrmling Horde and follows two of Farlandâs well-known heroes, Borenson and Myrrima, on a quest to save their devastated land and the people of the new
Published October 13th 2009 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Chaosbound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chaosbound

Rich
Apr 20, 2010 Rich rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This book should have been feathered into the previous title, The Wyrmling Horde, which is what Farland usually does. While the Wyrmling Horde was one of the three best books I read in 2008, this book ranks up with Brotherhood of the Wolf as the weakest of the series.

This story follows Sir Borenson, now merged with someone on the new world, and his wife Myrrima. They are called back into the battles they thought they had left behind.

This is long on action and moves swiftly, but the rich philos
Chris Pacheco
Jan 27, 2014 Chris Pacheco rated it it was amazing
fuck.
for the last three books i felt that DF/W was losing his touch, and maybe he was. Now though, i am proven wrong. Chaosbound is a motherfucking maelstrom of fuck yeah and heartache. DF/W mustve been going through some rough shit when he wrote this. The things that Borenson goes through are so fucked, that it hurts to read sometimes. Yet theres also so much fucking awesome shit that it all balances out into a seriously awesome fucking book.
The next and last book is to come out this year, from
Gorlon
Jan 24, 2012 Gorlon rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic
This book made me realize that Sir Borrenson is basically the main character of the entire series. While reading this I felt pained at the fact that after the binding of the worlds his own family began to distance themselves from him. In the previous book his daughter Talon had the same effects cast upon her, While she was accepted and welcomed by her companions (Fillion,Jax,and Kirissa) while her father was considered to have become a monster by his own wife and children. It made me sad to rea ...more
Eric Moreno
Sep 30, 2010 Eric Moreno rated it really liked it
B.C. Crow
May 12, 2015 B.C. Crow rated it really liked it
I've never read anything by David before, but on a whim, I thought I'd give it a chance. I should have read the books before this one in this series, but he does such a good job at writing, that I didn't feel lost at all. I plan on trying some of his other books in the future.

I'd rate it a strong PG-13 for Violence. I could have given that a R, but felt that the tone of the rest of the book didn't deserve it. Sexual content was PG-13 because while nothing was explained, it was surely hinted at.
Jacob
Mar 16, 2011 Jacob rated it did not like it
(Repost from http://drying-ink.blogspot.com/2010/1... )
Yes, it's taken a while! But before my review, a quick apology - Chaosbound is not the last book in the Runelords series, which I had previously thought it was. Unfortunately, I won't be reading further into this series - a pity, since I loved the first four books and would highly recommend them to anybody in search of an epic fantasy with some morally grey areas as well.

Chaosbound backtracks from the plot of the previous novels of the Runel
Marshall Boyd
Feb 27, 2014 Marshall Boyd rated it it was ok
This is a story that didn't need to be told, at least not as a full novel. It doesn't advance the main plot and is a side story or a follow up tale told after the main protagonists' story is completed. It feels very forced and the story drags.

I've come to expect poor story telling from Farland, so this book is not exactly disappointing except that it's not the last and I just want to know the end.
Lana
Jun 19, 2015 Lana rated it it was amazing
just finished reading this book, the 8th in this magnificent series and for sure this book too does not disappoint, its full of thrills and adventure and keeps the reader on their toes at times with the doings of the new hero but the series does not end with this book and i do not have the 9th and probably the final book to this series!!! hate it when this happens!!
Bernard Doddema Jr
Dec 22, 2010 Bernard Doddema Jr rated it liked it
Recommended to Bernard by: Maclain Austin
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I was excited to hear that this book would star my favorite warrior, Borenson and his wife. It was great seeing him enjoy the retired life. He was content and finally at peace. Then that crappy world collided with ours and he merged with a "true human", turning him into a monster.

He became the warrior of old and so much more. My problem was when the two merged, I had hoped that Borenson would remain dominant. Nope, not so much as a whimper. One positive is this guy reminds me of Wolverine in bes
Powder River Rose
Dec 24, 2014 Powder River Rose rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the story, the author seems to have his groove back and of course the narrator is fantastic.

However, I'm left feeling quite cheated....such is the way of life though. I understand there is or was a Book 9 but it's been pulled from publication and the story can't have ended where it did, but it has; I believe there is enough left hanging in the story for 2 more books which would allow for an epic ending similar to that in the first 4 books. I have a feeling we will be left in ch
Kyra
Jul 05, 2016 Kyra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had some of the excitement of the earlier volumes in the series.
I don't understand why this book wasn't integrated into the last book though. The Borenson storyline was alot better than the Fallion one, so it would've lifted the last one up. The book was enjoyable and I'm very curious about the end of the series. I hope part 9 will still be published at some point!
Jesse
Aug 06, 2011 Jesse rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Overall I was very disappointed in this book. A slow moving read, that leaves you wishing you'd started a different series. This book felt like it could have been two or three long chapters in a great book as opposed to the entire piece of a mediocre novel. I gave this book 3 stars because I do enjoy the concept of the entire series, and the characters, while flat in this book are exciting throughout the entire series... I guess in the end I gave the book 3 stars in part because of the author's ...more
Cheryl
Feb 05, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better written than the last few runelord books but still lacking. I have noted repetitive storylines right the way through the series but this book moved away from that in some of its plot. I agree with another review suggesting that book 8 should have been feathered into book 7. Not only would that have led to a more cohesive story but editing would have cut out some of the repetition and perhaps styled the book better by removing chunks of poorly written dross. I gave this a 3 simply bec ...more
Gene Concannon
Jun 19, 2014 Gene Concannon rated it really liked it
Diverts from the previous story to follow other characters. While I enjoyed the story quiet a bit, I feel like it didn't need to be its own story. The other books have done a good job of integrating the multiple story lines into one thread. I feel like this could have been done the same way
Byron Smith
Mar 08, 2011 Byron Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the Runelords series very much. I must say that this installment seems more of a section in another book. There is only a single plot in this book. This is very uncharacteristic for this series. The action is tremendous and there is gore aplenty! It is very enjoyable, but greatly lacks any deep thinks that marks the previous books. As a whole, the series can be depressing, but I always hold out for a happy ending to match the best "chick flick." I am beginning to wonder "is there such a ...more
Robert Kaul
Nov 22, 2015 Robert Kaul rated it really liked it
Very good read,hope book 9 to be printed again soon.

Ginn
Mar 14, 2011 Ginn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Definitely better than the last instalment, but perhaps that's because it's centered around my favorite character, Borenson. Of course, in this book, he becomes Aaath Ulber, but he's alright too.

I found it interesting that once he gains endowments of wit, he regains some of his Borenson personality.

I didn't like how it ended. I know it's an ongoing series, but I'd like to have proof that the story doesn't end here. Is there another one coming out eventually? Why do authors (and their publishers
Marklandman
Dec 20, 2014 Marklandman rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Another good one. Plenty of Runelords fighting and a bit of plot as well.
Dianne
Feb 19, 2015 Dianne added it
It was good just getting to the good part and then it is over. The ninth book is not in print yet. So have to wait to see what happens.
Amelia
I really like the runelord series. The system of magic is very unique and intriguing. In the earlier books I had wondered what had happened to Borenson and Myrrimma, so it was nice to follow their stories here. I must admit, I was a little disapponted not to find out anything else about Fallion and his story. My guess is that we needed to learn about Borenson because he is going to play a major and important role with Fallion in the binding of the rest of the worlds. I'm excited for the next one ...more
Louis-simon
J'ai beaucoup aimé ce huitième livre de cette série. Le début est un peu lent mais ça se comprend étant donné le changement de protagoniste par rapport aux derniers livres. Un point que je trouve un peu répétitif est la fin de l'histoire où, comme dans la plus part de livres précédents, ça se résume en la création de puissant seigneurs de runes pour contrer ceux des ennemis... Mais je suppose que c'est un peu innévitable avec un monde comme l'a créé David Farland.
Phil
Oct 01, 2011 Phil rated it really liked it
David Farland gets back to the root of the series in its eighth installment. People taking endowments. People killing each other for endowments. Warriors debating the morals of saving the Dedicates or slaughtering them in an effort to hamstring their opponents.

The book moves the overall storyline along, but with only one final book left, I wonder if the author can pull everything together and tie up all the loose ends.
Jessica Pesic
May 01, 2011 Jessica Pesic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I love David Farlands Runelord series, and this was another excellent story. My only criticism, is that although you learned new and interesting facts about the story and its characters, it still ended pretty much in the same place the previous book ended. There was no advancement. I felt that Borensons storyline could have been a little less detailed, allowing it to be combined with the previous novel.
Drew B.
Mar 23, 2011 Drew B. rated it really liked it
Of all the post-Gaborn books in the series, this is the one that is the most touching. It has compelling characters who experience real, relatable emotions and make some sort of emotional progress during the plot. Of course, it still has plenty of adventure. My one quibble has to do with the odds faced by the hero—it strained even my generous suspension of disbelief.
Michele
Aug 19, 2013 Michele rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This was okay, but bugged me in that it didn't further the plot of the series AT ALL! Instead it backtracks and shows us what takes place with Borenson and Myrrima during the time that Fallion is dealing with Lord Despair. Interesting background info, but not really worthy of it's own book IMHO.
Jason Lutovsky
Oct 11, 2012 Jason Lutovsky rated it really liked it
I thought, going into this book, that I was ready for the series to be over already. Farland developed the story in such a way that the end of the book caught me by surprise. On the last sentence, I thought "Wait... it's OVER???" I am now glad there is more.
Heather
Dec 18, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
Loved all of the books in this series. So sad that the author's son was in a serious accident. So, the continuation of this tale is on indefinite hold. Thank you David Farland for creating a world I could get lost in. Blessings to your family.
Dean
Probably the best of the second Runelord series so far, but like the rest this part of the series this is a very weak "I Liked It" rating. I still haven't connected with the characters or really cared for the new, bound world.
Morgan Schreffler
Jul 24, 2015 Morgan Schreffler rated it really liked it
Maybe I'm weird, but I enjoyed this book and the previous one WAY more than Worldbinder. I'm really looking forward to the final installment of this series, whenever that may actually happen.
Aaron Anderson
Sep 13, 2011 Aaron Anderson rated it liked it
Shelves: 5-fantasy
As usual for Runelords, it wasn't horrible, it wasn't amazing. There's supposed to be one more final book. I think that I read it comes out in 2012.
  • Initiate's Trial (Wars of Light and Shadow, #9; Arc 4 - Sword of the Canon, #1)
  • Wizard of the Winds (Tales of the Timuras, #1)
  • The Captal's Tower (Exiles, #3)
  • Servant of a Dark God
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • Lord of the Silent Kingdom (Instrumentalities of the Night, #2)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • The Changing (Blood and Brotherhood, #3)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Arms-Commander (The Saga of Recluse, #16)
  • The Bear (Corona: Saga of the First King, #4)
  • Dragonseed (Dragon Age, #3)
  • The Twisted Citadel (DarkGlass Mountain, #2)
David Farland is the author of the bestselling Runelords series, including Chaosbound, The Wyrmling Horde and Worldbinder. He also writes science-fiction as David Wolverton. He won the 1987 Writers of the Future contest, and has been nominated for a Nebula Award and a Hugo Award. Farland also works as a video game designer, and has taught writing seminars around the U.S. and Canada. He lives in Sa ...more
More about David Farland...

The Runelords (9 books)
  • The Runelords (Runelords #1)
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2)
  • Wizardborn (Runelords, #3)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)
  • Worldbinder (Runelords, #6)
  • The Wyrmling Horde (Runelords, #7)
  • A Tale of Tales (Runelords, #9)