Start by marking “Chaosbound (Runelords, #8)” as Want to Read:
Chaosbound (Runelords, #8)

Chaosbound (The Runelords #8)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  826 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The world of the Runelords has been combined by magic with another parallel world to form a new one, the beginning of a process that may unify all worlds into the one true world.

This story picks up after the events of The Wyrmling Horde and follows two of Farland�s well-known heroes, Borenson and Myrrima, on a quest to save their devastated land and the people of the n
Published October 13th 2009 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Chaosbound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chaosbound

Rich
This book should have been feathered into the previous title, The Wyrmling Horde, which is what Farland usually does. While the Wyrmling Horde was one of the three best books I read in 2008, this book ranks up with Brotherhood of the Wolf as the weakest of the series.

This story follows Sir Borenson, now merged with someone on the new world, and his wife Myrrima. They are called back into the battles they thought they had left behind.

This is long on action and moves swiftly, but the rich philos...more
Gorlon
This book made me realize that Sir Borrenson is basically the main character of the entire series. While reading this I felt pained at the fact that after the binding of the worlds his own family began to distance themselves from him. In the previous book his daughter Talon had the same effects cast upon her, While she was accepted and welcomed by her companions (Fillion,Jax,and Kirissa) while her father was considered to have become a monster by his own wife and children. It made me sad to rea...more
Eric Moreno
Jacob
(Repost from http://drying-ink.blogspot.com/2010/1... )
Yes, it's taken a while! But before my review, a quick apology - Chaosbound is not the last book in the Runelords series, which I had previously thought it was. Unfortunately, I won't be reading further into this series - a pity, since I loved the first four books and would highly recommend them to anybody in search of an epic fantasy with some morally grey areas as well.

Chaosbound backtracks from the plot of the previous novels of the Runel...more
Marshall Boyd
This is a story that didn't need to be told, at least not as a full novel. It doesn't advance the main plot and is a side story or a follow up tale told after the main protagonists' story is completed. It feels very forced and the story drags.

I've come to expect poor story telling from Farland, so this book is not exactly disappointing except that it's not the last and I just want to know the end.
Bernard Doddema Jr
Dec 22, 2010 Bernard Doddema Jr rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bernard by: Maclain Austin
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I was excited to hear that this book would star my favorite warrior, Borenson and his wife. It was great seeing him enjoy the retired life. He was content and finally at peace. Then that crappy world collided with ours and he merged with a "true human", turning him into a monster.

He became the warrior of old and so much more. My problem was when the two merged, I had hoped that Borenson would remain dominant. Nope, not so much as a whimper. One positive is this guy reminds me of Wolverine in bes...more
Chris Pacheco
fuck.
for the last three books i felt that DF/W was losing his touch, and maybe he was. Now though, i am proven wrong. Chaosbound is a motherfucking maelstrom of fuck yeah and heartache. DF/W mustve been going through some rough shit when he wrote this. The things that Borenson goes through are so fucked, that it hurts to read sometimes. Yet theres also so much fucking awesome shit that it all balances out into a seriously awesome fucking book.
The next and last book is to come out this year, from...more
Jesse
Overall I was very disappointed in this book. A slow moving read, that leaves you wishing you'd started a different series. This book felt like it could have been two or three long chapters in a great book as opposed to the entire piece of a mediocre novel. I gave this book 3 stars because I do enjoy the concept of the entire series, and the characters, while flat in this book are exciting throughout the entire series... I guess in the end I gave the book 3 stars in part because of the author's...more
Cheryl
Much better written than the last few runelord books but still lacking. I have noted repetitive storylines right the way through the series but this book moved away from that in some of its plot. I agree with another review suggesting that book 8 should have been feathered into book 7. Not only would that have led to a more cohesive story but editing would have cut out some of the repetition and perhaps styled the book better by removing chunks of poorly written dross. I gave this a 3 simply bec...more
Gene Concannon
Diverts from the previous story to follow other characters. While I enjoyed the story quiet a bit, I feel like it didn't need to be its own story. The other books have done a good job of integrating the multiple story lines into one thread. I feel like this could have been done the same way
Byron Smith
I enjoy the Runelords series very much. I must say that this installment seems more of a section in another book. There is only a single plot in this book. This is very uncharacteristic for this series. The action is tremendous and there is gore aplenty! It is very enjoyable, but greatly lacks any deep thinks that marks the previous books. As a whole, the series can be depressing, but I always hold out for a happy ending to match the best "chick flick." I am beginning to wonder "is there such a...more
Ginn
Definitely better than the last instalment, but perhaps that's because it's centered around my favorite character, Borenson. Of course, in this book, he becomes Aaath Ulber, but he's alright too.

I found it interesting that once he gains endowments of wit, he regains some of his Borenson personality.

I didn't like how it ended. I know it's an ongoing series, but I'd like to have proof that the story doesn't end here. Is there another one coming out eventually? Why do authors (and their publishers...more
Amelia
I really like the runelord series. The system of magic is very unique and intriguing. In the earlier books I had wondered what had happened to Borenson and Myrrimma, so it was nice to follow their stories here. I must admit, I was a little disapponted not to find out anything else about Fallion and his story. My guess is that we needed to learn about Borenson because he is going to play a major and important role with Fallion in the binding of the rest of the worlds. I'm excited for the next one...more
Phil
David Farland gets back to the root of the series in its eighth installment. People taking endowments. People killing each other for endowments. Warriors debating the morals of saving the Dedicates or slaughtering them in an effort to hamstring their opponents.

The book moves the overall storyline along, but with only one final book left, I wonder if the author can pull everything together and tie up all the loose ends.
Jessica Pesic
I love David Farlands Runelord series, and this was another excellent story. My only criticism, is that although you learned new and interesting facts about the story and its characters, it still ended pretty much in the same place the previous book ended. There was no advancement. I felt that Borensons storyline could have been a little less detailed, allowing it to be combined with the previous novel.
Drew B.
Of all the post-Gaborn books in the series, this is the one that is the most touching. It has compelling characters who experience real, relatable emotions and make some sort of emotional progress during the plot. Of course, it still has plenty of adventure. My one quibble has to do with the odds faced by the hero—it strained even my generous suspension of disbelief.
Michele
This was okay, but bugged me in that it didn't further the plot of the series AT ALL! Instead it backtracks and shows us what takes place with Borenson and Myrrima during the time that Fallion is dealing with Lord Despair. Interesting background info, but not really worthy of it's own book IMHO.
Jason Lutovsky
I thought, going into this book, that I was ready for the series to be over already. Farland developed the story in such a way that the end of the book caught me by surprise. On the last sentence, I thought "Wait... it's OVER???" I am now glad there is more.
Aaron Anderson
As usual for Runelords, it wasn't horrible, it wasn't amazing. There's supposed to be one more final book. I think that I read it comes out in 2012.
Chris Morgan
Not the best in the series, but not awful either. If you are a trusty fan of the runelord series then you will enjoy this latest installment.
Phil
Finished and I still can't figure out where in the timeline this fits with book 7...

Book the book was pretty good once you got into it.
Neil Choinski
by far not the best in this series. Seems to be stretching a bit. Not sure if I will continue with the rest of the series at this point
Ken
Fast paced. This series is coming to a swift and exciting conclusion. (One book after this one.)
Maggie
Feb 04, 2010 Maggie added it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
My only complaint about this book is that it wasn't long enough.
Dan Rosenthal
Very enjoyable read, left me wanting to read the next one..

Cassie
Loved it! Can't wait for the next one.
Darren Varney
Want the next one!!!
BQ
3.5 stars.
Roshni Agarwal
Roshni Agarwal marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
  • Lord of the Silent Kingdom
  • Mage-Guard of Hamor (Saga of Recluce, #15)
  • Initiate's Trial (Wars of Light & Shadow #9; Arc 4 - Sword of the Canon, #1)
  • Wizard of the Winds (Tales of the Timuras, #1)
  • The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages, #6)
  • The Bear (Corona: Saga of the First King, #4)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
David Farland is the author of the bestselling Runelords series, including Chaosbound, The Wyrmling Horde and Worldbinder. He also writes science-fiction as David Wolverton. He won the 1987 Writers of the Future contest, and has been nominated for a Nebula Award and a Hugo Award. Farland also works as a video game designer, and has taught writing seminars around the U.S. and Canada. He lives in Sa...more
More about David Farland...
The Sum of All Men (Runelords #1) Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2) Wizardborn (Runelords, #3) The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4) Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)