Start by marking “Gods at War: Shotgun Takeovers, Government by Deal, and the Private Equity Implosion” as Want to Read:

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
An engaging exploration of modern-day deals and deal-making "Gods at War" details the recent deals and events that have forever changed the world of billion-dollar deal-making. This book is a whirlwind tour of the players determining the destiny of corporate America, including the government, private equity, strategic buyers, hedge funds, and sovereign wealth funds.

It not
Published October 1st 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Gods at War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gods at War

Marty
Dec 09, 2009 Marty rated it it was ok
Shelves: financial
I had high expectations for this book and ended up mildly disappointed.
I think the book suffers from a too-narrow focus and a lack of historical or interdisciplinary context. Also, it is not as well written as I would have expected given Davidoff's pedigree. (His alter-ego is that of the "Deal Professor," the author of a widely-read New York Times blog.)

The book could have used a harsher editor. Part of the problem is that the book seems to be a reiteration of a handful of Davidoff's previous ar
Kevin Gryp
Apr 12, 2015 Kevin Gryp rated it liked it
Although this book is incredibly dry and hard to get through, it offers some important and topical lessons for anyone in the industry. The title is very misleading - consider this book a collection of somewhat related academic essays on the different legal aspects of deal making.
B. Rule
This book is related to my work and I thought it sounded interesting, too. However, it is dry as toast and so, so boring. I had to put it down about 50 pages in. Maybe I'll revisit in the future.
Michael
Nov 30, 2010 Michael rated it it was ok
Good thing I didn't go to law school. This took me forever to get through and I found myself finding all sorts of reasons to not pick it up. but I finally got through it. Now on to some fun fiction!
Hillary
Nov 21, 2009 Hillary added it
Shelves: library
three chapters in and I've already learned from this book. be advised it's somewhat technical (and looks like it gets more technical).
AllInStride
Mar 17, 2013 AllInStride rated it it was ok
Shelves: politics
Very detailed and technical .. a little to dry for me.
Creed
Creed marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Zachary
Zachary marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Jessie Cran
Jessie Cran marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Amenyo Setordzie
Amenyo Setordzie is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2016
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Cat Colwell
Cat Colwell marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Johannes
Johannes rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Saa
Saa marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Imran
Imran rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Will Black
Will Black rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Shiny
Shiny marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Ryan Birch
Ryan Birch marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
M Sz
M Sz added it
Feb 03, 2016
Thanh Tu
Thanh Tu marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Steven Lessard
Steven Lessard rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Nadia
Nadia added it
Jan 15, 2016
Jiri Uherek
Jiri Uherek marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Pradeep B Rajalingappa
Pradeep B Rajalingappa marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Beat
Beat added it
Jan 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Confidence Game: How Hedge Fund Manager Bill Ackman Called Wall Street's Bluff
  • Fatal Risk: A Cautionary Tale of AIG's Corporate Suicide
  • King of Capital: The Remarkable Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of Steve Schwarzman and Blackstone
  • Stolen World: A Tale of Reptiles, Smugglers, and Skulduggery
  • Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business
  • Where Keynes Went Wrong: And Why World Governments Keep Creating Inflation, Bubbles, and Busts
  • In Fashion: From Runway to Retail, Everything You Need to Know to Break Into the Fashion Industry
  • High Steel: The Daring Men Who Built the World's Greatest Skyline
  • Butterfly's Shadow
  • Money and Power: How Goldman Sachs Came to Rule the World
  • Dear Mr. Buffett: What an Investor Learns 1,269 Miles from Wall Street
  • Ulysses S. Grant
  • It Takes a Pillage: Behind the Bailouts, Bonuses, and Backroom Deals from Washington to Wall Street
  • The Monster: How a Gang of Predatory Lenders and Wall Street Bankers Fleeced America--and Spawned a Global Crisis