Start by marking “Mooring Against the Tide: Writing Fiction and Poetry” as Want to Read:
Mooring Against the Tide: Writing Fiction and Poetry

Mooring Against the Tide: Writing Fiction and Poetry

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  5 reviews
This guide to creative writing explores the two genres of poetry and fiction, and defines the basic elements of each. It offers a hands-on approach to writing, and includes essays from noted authors that enable readers to witness the creative evolution of poems and stories. Clearly written and organized, it also contains student writing samples and an easy-to-use guide to ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 396 pages
Published January 30th 2005 by Prentice Hall (first published July 7th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mooring Against the Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mooring Against the Tide

Giles
Dec 07, 2007 Giles rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Aspiring Writers
I am reading this for my Creative Writing class. I really like it because it's down to earth, upbeat, and has very strong but simple instructions on how to improve my writing.

Overall, this is a good book, but you can get the same instruction for less than half the price. It's a textbook, but the exact same lessons have been printed in how-to writing books for years.
Alan Gerstle
I have taught creative writing on the college level, and this is the only book that I have found can contribute to helping students understand what 'creative writing' is and actually helps them with their own writing. Without elaborating too much on why I think this is a good book, I would say that it combines excellent examples of fiction and poetry that are accessible and at the same time worthy of their genre. There is an absence of lingo and didactic admonishments, and most of all I get the ...more
Chi
quite a good start for any beginners to creative writing. Yet the structure of some poems should have been edited more carefully. Some of them were not even separated in stanzas. Overall, it presented steps by steps of writing poems and short stories plus provided some good thought-provoking works from amateurish to professional writers.
Josie Muehlhausen
Phenomenal! I have read Jeff Knorr's Room Service, which was well written. Tim Schell is my mentor/professor and my favorite at that! Well written by both men, easy to understand plenty of examples; it also contains great poems and short stories; A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings stands out the most.
Kathleen
What we talk about when we talk about love. Amazing. Dislike a lot of the poems, but that is okay.
Danielle Stevens
Danielle Stevens is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2015
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Kadijah Shoultz
Kadijah Shoultz marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2013
Ameya Gore
Ameya Gore marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2013
Domonique
Domonique marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Tafari Plummer
Tafari Plummer is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2013
Molly
Molly added it
Dec 06, 2012
An Introduction to Poetry: The River Sings Keeper The Third Body Standing Up to the Day Como ser más agradable: Y hacer amigos