Start by marking “One Forbidden Evening (Grantham, #2)” as Want to Read:
One Forbidden Evening (Grantham, #2)

One Forbidden Evening (Grantham #2)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  361 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
As a masked ball reaches its fever pitch, Cybelline Caldwell surrenders to the embrace of a midnight lover, a stranger who seals her fate. By morning the wanton seductress has been replaced by a determinedly sensible woman preparing to leave Londonâand its memories. Yet temptation follows. For Christopher Hollins, Earl of Ferrin, the notorious rake she so brazenly challeng ...more
Published September 12th 2006 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about One Forbidden Evening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Forbidden Evening

Fani
Cybelline is a widowed mother whose husband commited suicide some time ago. She's still not over it and plagued with grief. However, "she's a woman with woman's needs" by her own words, and soon realizes she misses the physical intimacies she used to share with her husband. In a masquerade ball, she's given the chance to finally indulge her need, while keeping her identity hidden. The man she chooses is the Earl of Ferrin, a handsome man with the reputation of a rake, which suits her just fine, ...more
Ivonne
a diferencia del primer libro creo que este paso mas rapido, cada escena tuvo su tiempo y momento y no alargo mucho la cuestion (en quedarse en una misma escena pagina por pagina)
al principio no entendi muy bien ya que en el libro anterior habiamos conocido a este personaje pense que volveriamos al principio pero me equivoque la autora nos planteo otras circunstancias que hicieron que todo cambiara.
Cybelline, es una viuda que es fuerte pero despues de lo que paso su caracter su personalidad ha i
SidneyKay
Maura
Estara
Apr 18, 2010 Estara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2010
well we had a heroine tstl for half the book, but she settled down nicely after all. The hero was lovely if too perfect (beta disguised as alpha) and knowing a lot of recent historical villain plots the villain was known by the half of the book, although I didn't suspect his accomplice. She's done much better in Never Love a Lawman (5 stars) and The Price of Desire (4 stars).
Evieb
Oct 10, 2014 Evieb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books I'll never lend it to anyone but I recommend it to everyone. It is a wonderful book.
Cruth
Author: Jo Goodman
First published: 2006
Length: 5996 locations, 436 pages
Setting: London and rural England, 1817
Sex: Frequent and explicit - approx once per chapter.
Hero: Puts out that he's a rake (view spoiler).
Heroine: Widow with child. Her husband committed suicide. Has withdrawn from society since his death.

A good story of working to make an HEA. Cybelline does everything she can to keep Ferrin at arms length. But he do
Blackjack
Dec 13, 2013 Blackjack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
One Forbidden Evening , Jo Goodman - This novel is a follow-up or second book in the Grantham series after A Season to Be Sinful and right before the excellent If His Kiss Is Wicked. Characters from the entire series play significant roles in this story as well. I enjoyed reading this one very much, as it offers both a very romantic story as well as an interesting mystery. As with other Goodman's heroes, the hero, Ferrin, is what many would call a "beta" hero. He is very smitten with Cybelline, ...more
Agatha
Apr 07, 2015 Agatha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice historical romance, tender, with interesting story and characters. Ferrin was just perfect! The language was also good, the feeling of the book was of a genuine historical novel not a pretend-to-be-historical-modern-romance.
Kim
Oct 06, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
D
Jan 11, 2013 D rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of lady warriors with flaming red hair, passionate back-stair kisses
Shelves: romance
literate buddies, if you need a bodice ripper, this one is surprisingly good. its plot and devices are nothing new to bodice rippers, but it paints that well-known scene with so much more art and subtlety than is usually the case. there are plenty of quivering members and heaving bosoms, and through it all jo goodman mostly does not make me feel like an idiot for having paid money for this.

BY THE BY: i admit i'd never heard of boudica before reading this. now i think of her every october when pu
Karen Wilson
The tone is rather mellow and wordy. It reminds me of Mary Balogh's books. I like Ferrin, of course as I am fond of geeks. I like the way he analyses and the deductive conversations.

The story itself is not mind-blowing or exceptionally memorable, hence the 3 stars.

I would have liked the epilogue to include a bit more interaction between Cybelline's servants and Ferrin as well as his family members and Cybelline and Ferrin together.
Jackie
Oct 30, 2010 Jackie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie
Feb 23, 2012 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid romance novel. It has been a while since I've ready anything like this, but a good friend recommended it. I had forgotten how enjoyable a good old-fashioned romance novel could be.
Susan
Jul 22, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vc-library
Wndrfl prose, widw~mom Cyb & Cnt Ferrin, mystry id @ masqrd, letters frm late husb 2 hs lvr, threats; vry diff conclsn than most
Terri
May 10, 2012 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
Started a little slow for me, and the chemistry built really slow, but ultimately I found it a good read.
Mindy
Witty banter, engaging plot, wonderful twist at the end...couldn't ask for a better read!
Sharon Sherman
Oct 09, 2011 Sharon Sherman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting read. Great creativity.
Chemnut
Jan 02, 2010 Chemnut rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Good, but man is she mean to her characters
Dec 02, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I just like her newer, darker books better.
Nath
Apr 01, 2012 Nath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5 (B-)
Sylvia
Sep 25, 2009 Sylvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Regency
Bobbi Johnson
Bobbi Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Irmaria
Irmaria marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Grace F.
Grace F. marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Daphne Wigger
Daphne Wigger marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Boki1309
Boki1309 rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Paaat
Paaat marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Beth Barnard
Beth Barnard marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
  • Indiscreet
  • The Summer of You (The Blue Raven #2)
  • Dreaming
  • The Bride Price
  • A Rake's Guide To Pleasure (Somerhart, #2)
  • Just One Touch
  • A View to a Kiss (The Bow St. Agents: Spies in Love, #1)
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • Written on Your Skin
  • Wicked All Day (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #5)
  • Flawless (The Christies, #1)
  • Midsummer Moon
  • Rules of an Engagement (Adventurers’ Club, #3)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Never Marry a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #3)
  • The Runaway Heiress (Harlequin Historical, #811)
  • Simply Scandalous
  • The Courtesan's Daughter (The Courtesan Chronicles, #1)
To find characters to illustrate my first family saga, I cut out models from the Sears catalogue. I was in fourth grade, but it was a start. In seventh grade I wrote a melodrama about two orphan sisters, one of whom was pregnant. There was also a story about a runaway girl with the unlikely name of Strawberry and one about mistaken identities and an evil blind date. My supportive, but vaguely conc ...more
More about Jo Goodman...

Grantham (3 books)
  • A Season to Be Sinful (Grantham, #1)
  • If His Kiss Is Wicked (Grantham, #3)