Start by marking “The Year of the Boat: Beauty, Imperfection, and the Art of Doing It Yourself” as Want to Read:
The Year of the Boat: Beauty, Imperfection, and the Art of Doing It Yourself

The Year of the Boat: Beauty, Imperfection, and the Art of Doing It Yourself

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  6 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Lawrence Cheek decided that he had to build a boat. Not just any boat, but a beautiful wooden sailboat. This despite the fact that he barely knew how to sail and that he was the master of so few woodworking skills that it was frightening. The Year of the Boat is a memoir about what when on in that suburban garage—a roiling process of measuring, cutting, gluing ...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Sasquatch Books

To ask other readers questions about The Year of the Boat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year of the Boat

Steve
Jan 21, 2015 Steve rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book more than I did. It was recommended to me by a classmate in a course on boatbuilding that I took at the WoodenBoat School in Brooklin Maine in September 2014. He loved the book and said that it was inspiring. He also described it as funny.

My experience of the book was quite different, and although time does not permit me to engage in the level of reflection necessary to understand quite why I did not like the book, I can throw out a number of things.

First, and perhaps
Barbara
Apr 10, 2010 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
A self-proclaimed klutz spent a year (and a half) building a wooden sailboat in his garage. His musings on the whys and hows of this process form this charming short volume. I know next to nothing about sailboats and building even after completing the book, but he makes a case for pursuing craftsmanship and quality in any of life's endeavors. It is somewhat strange that he did not even know how to sail at the onset of the project and the first sailing trip he does try is not so inspiring. I ...more
Bern J
Sep 09, 2012 Bern J rated it it was amazing
I found a lot of wisdom in this book. Like Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is so much more than just about fixing your bike, this book is a lot more than building a day sailer but it's infinitely more accessible to the reader.At least this one.
It deals with the same themes: quality, craftsmanship, art and care.
I highly recommend it.
Craig Illman
Craig Illman rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2011
Sean Samuelson
Sean Samuelson rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Faith Mittman
Faith Mittman marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015