Start by marking “This Book Is Not Good for You (Secret, #3)” as Want to Read:
This Book Is Not Good for You (Secret, #3)

This Book Is Not Good for You (Secret #3)

4.29  ·  Rating Details ·  17,302 Ratings  ·  626 Reviews
Between the pages of this book lies the secret to the best-tasting chocolate in all the world. I promise, your taste buds will tingle. Your palette will sing! Oh no, have I accidentally tempted you to read this book? I will warn you, however, the most delicious things are never good for you...and this story is particularly scrumptious!

In this tooth-rotting adventure, Cass'
Published September 1st 2009 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about This Book Is Not Good for You, please sign up.

Zanye Yes, the main character is the brother of Max-Ernest, and there are other characters from the Secret Series. The third book is supposed to answer a…moreYes, the main character is the brother of Max-Ernest, and there are other characters from the Secret Series. The third book is supposed to answer a lot of the questions of the Secret Series.(less)
Eileen ' The Name of This Book Is Secret (Secret, #1) ' and ' If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2) '

Carly
Feb 18, 2010 Carly rated it really liked it
I'm not really sure how a person could possibly not love this book. For one, it's about secret spy kids. For another, it's awesome and hilarious. And finally (as if that weren't enough), it's about chocolate. Need I say more?

I also would like to add that I am pretty sure Pseudonymous Bosch and I are soul mates. It seems from reading this book that his love of dark chocolate is nearly as passionate as mine (from Q&A in the book's appendix: "Q: What is dark chocolate?" "A: Heaven on Earth."),
Siddharth Chakravarthy
May 30, 2016 Siddharth Chakravarthy rated it it was amazing
This series is just getting better and better.
This book is an absolute no nonsense book. Funny,Witty,Mysterious,Thrilling ...damn what more could a reader ask for. Dear Pseudonymous, you just earned a fan here !
Drew Ransom
Oct 26, 2014 Drew Ransom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drew-s-shelf
In the story This Book Is Not Good For You by Pseudonymous Bosch, Cass and Max-Ernest, two friends fond of adventure and full of curiosity, set off on their third adventure. In this book, Cass, Max-Ernest, and a new friend they made in their last adventure, Yo Yoji, search for the Tuning Fork, a magical tool used to make the most plain substance, like water, into something delicious, like chocolate. These three are sent on their adventure not knowing any information, but knowing that their enem ...more
Nerissa
Nov 30, 2015 Nerissa rated it really liked it
I agree! This book isn't good for you. It's REALLY GOOD for you! ;)
Sydney Wilson
Sep 16, 2010 Sydney Wilson rated it really liked it
This is a great book series for young adults (10-18) who like intriguing books without having adult themes (sex, drug use, mature language.) My daughter (11) is already reading at a high school/college level, and it's hard to find appropriate books for her. This author is hilarious.
Jailyn709
Sep 21, 2010 Jailyn709 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book!!! You never know what is going to happen next so it makes you want to just keep reading! But the ending sucks! They don't tell you the answer to the big problem, they leave you hanging but that was the last book in that series!!!
(ha)Ley
Jun 16, 2014 (ha)Ley rated it it was amazing
Summary: In this delicious third installment of the amazing Secret Series, Cassandra and Max-Ernest have to beat an evil chef, rescue enslaved kids from a chocolate plantation, and find a mythical tool known as the Tuning Fork.

My thoughts: This book is the third book in one of my all-time favorite series!! And it has chocolate!! With awesome characters, an interesting adventure and chocolate, this is an excellent combination!
Tiffany
Sep 19, 2009 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
I really enjoy this author (whoever they really are!) Just make sure you have some chocolate to eat while you read it because it talks all about chocolate!
Mangrii
Dec 20, 2016 Mangrii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Por fin he podido degustar (y nunca mejor dicho en esta ocasión) la tercera pieza de La colección secreta de Pseudonymous Bosch, una serie de cinco libros en los que cada uno versa sobre un sentido y en los que se esconde un Secreto muy grande. Ya hemos visitado el olfato y el odio en los dos primeros volúmenes, y en esta ocasión llego el turno del gusto. En esta nueva aventura nuestro querido narrador nos contará como la madre de Cas ha sido secuestrada por el siniestro chocolatero el Señor Hug ...more
Kara
Dec 06, 2010 Kara rated it it was amazing
Once again the Secret Series did not fail to deliver. This book was a great read. Pseudonymous Bosch has a funny way of placing chapters out of order. The first chapter is actually chapter fifteen (I think.) This is interesting because it is like watching one of those movies where they start out with the climax and you get really intrigued, but then it goes back to the beginning and explains how they got to that climactic moment.

Anyhow, in this book Cassandra's mother is kidnapped and Cass, Max
Lilli
Aug 17, 2011 Lilli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This Book Is Not Good for You is about 3 people, Cass, Max-Ernest, and Yo-Yoji, who are brought into this dangerous adventure of getting Cass's mother back from the evil chocolatier Hugo. She is kept at a hidden chocolate plantation at the Wild World zoo in Africa where the Midnight Sun has held Cass's mother as a hostage. Soon they will find themselves caught in a trap, putting their own friendships at stake.

I gave This Book Is Not Good for You 5 stars because it's a great mystery book and is t
Alyssa
Mar 23, 2017 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
I loved this book more than the last one! Not only was a big problem solved but an even bigger problem was started! When I get home I am going to start reading the 4th book.
Nicole
Feb 13, 2017 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In diesem zahnschmelzzerstörenden Abenteuer wird die Mutter unserer Heldin Kassandra entführt: von einem unheimlichen Gourmet- Koch und Chokolatier, dem blinden Senor Hugo. Nur gegen die legendäre magische Stimmgabel will er sein Opfer wieder freigeben. Werden Kass und Max-Ernest das sagenumwobene Instrument finden, bevor es zu spät ist? Und werden sie das schreckliche Geheimnis lüften, das den Erfolg der berühmten Schokolade von Senor Hugo begründet?

Selbst bei dieser lustigen Kinderbuch-Reihe h
Rachel Choi
Oct 07, 2014 Rachel Choi rated it really liked it
Adair
Sep 30, 2012 Adair rated it liked it

This Book is Not Good for You, Pseudonymous Bosch

This Book is Not Good for You is the third puzzle-filled book in The Secret Series, in which Cass and Max-Ernest, two brave 11-year olds, set out to fulfill some very perplexing—and dangerous—missions.

What’s the ‘secret’ this time? I’m not allowed to tell, but it has to do with the most delicious chocolate in the entire world. And it gets better from there. Once her suspicions are aroused, Cass discovers the dastardly Ms. Mauvais is masquerading a
Olivia-Savannah Roach
Dec 06, 2015 Olivia-Savannah Roach rated it it was amazing
This is the third in a series and a really quick read, mostly aimed for kids about 9-12. But I still enjoyed reading it myself because it’s something light, playful and a pretty good mystery/detective story as well.

This one continues to follow the story of Cassandra, Yo-Yoji and Max-Ernest. I won’t tell you much, seeing as the content of this book is highly secret (^^) but I will say it has something to do with a cursed Aztec artifact, an evil and deranged chef, a secret lair of cocoa-crazed mon
Grady M
Sep 29, 2014 Grady M rated it it was amazing
This Book Is Not Good For You

This book is like a race against time. Because something happened to Cass’s mom. I think this book is really good because like I stated earlier this book is like a race against time. Cass, Max Ernest and Yo-Yoji has to save Cass’s mom before time runs out. I think this book is suspenseful be this book is all about suspense and mystery. This book is a part of a series called the secret series. I would recommend this book to my friend from my old school because he lo
Alyssa
Jan 16, 2016 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
This book was SO GOOD. All the books in this series so far have just sucked me in 100%. These books are so unique, each one has a different twist and a different feel. I think this one gave some great character development for Cass and Max-Earnest. Yo-Yoji still has room to grow, but I'm sure that will come in the next two books! Every thing about this book was wonderful and I personally think it was better than the previous book. Can't wait until the next book!
Faith (-;
Oct 13, 2014 Faith (-; rated it it was amazing
It was mysterious and I always want to read it to find out what's next. I like how the author always chimes into the book, and talks about how he doesn't know about something, or if he wants to put his opinion. I recommend this to all of u guys its a really good series. But dont start with this one other ys it doesnt make sense.
Cristi-Lael
May 22, 2016 Cristi-Lael rated it liked it
Shelves: own, middle-grade
Cute addition to this series. As usual with the middle book in a series, it was not quite as good as the books before it, but I have hope for the rest of the series. And, really, it wasn't bad in any way. It just wasn't quite as good as the last book.
Eli Bruess
Sep 23, 2014 Eli Bruess rated it it was amazing
The book, This Book Is Not Good for You is about three kids Max-Ernest Cassandra and Yo-Yoji that go on an adventure to try and find the Tecres Society. This book is good and I think everyone should read it.
Alkyoni Kotsis
Jan 19, 2017 Alkyoni Kotsis rated it it was amazing
Fantastic series.....
Dave
Feb 21, 2017 Dave rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-read
If you enjoyed the series of unfortunate events books by Lemony Snicket, you will probably enjoy this book.
Rachael
Aug 23, 2015 Rachael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can find my review on my blog here (& below):

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST TWO BOOKS IN THIS SERIES

'This Book is Not Good for You' is the third book in the young adult 'Secrets Series' by Pseudonymous Bosch.

The previous book ended with Cass, Max-Ernest and their new friend Yo-Yogi, once again thwarting the plans of the Midnight Sun and keeping the Secret safe. This book picks up a little while later. Cass is working in her grandfather
Charlyn
Jul 28, 2010 Charlyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Gr. 5 and up
Well, I’ve done what I recommend students not do: begin a series with a book other than #1. I have not read the first two books, but I picked up this one because it was the most recent…and—ok-- I really didn’t realize it was a series. So, starting off with that deficiency, I still had no difficulty getting into the book. The Midnight Sun, the enemy, is trying to figure out a Secret that the Terces Society is trying to prevent them from getting. Cassandra is at the center of the Secret, but she ...more
Samantha Diaz
Nov 12, 2014 Samantha Diaz rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: my friends
Recommended to Samantha by: nobody
The book that I just finished is called "This book is not good for you." My opinion about this chocolate book is that it is an delicious and and adventurous book. Why you say? Well to start of Cass lost her mother in a dark restaurant by Senor Hugo. So Cass made a promise with him and her friends couldn’t know about this. This book has some kind of twists that goes with this. It had times like when these kids took a risk there lives to save her mother inside a jungle. This book makes you jump an ...more
Vinz Agdipa
Feb 11, 2017 Vinz Agdipa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm addicted to this book like PseuDONymous Bosch is addicted to chocolates.

And to you, yes you, that title's a LIE. This book is definitely good for you.
Kaylee Mejia
Dec 01, 2014 Kaylee Mejia rated it it was amazing
In the third book "This Book Is Not Good For You", Cassandra and Max-Ernest face another difficult, yet exciting new adventure. As far as I am in this wonderful series, this book, by far has the most action. The book includes a kidnapping, chocolate, and more characters with unique abilities. This book has three parts to it, but don't worry they're not three other books, Pseudonymous Bosch just has a unique way of writing his books. Of course, you will also see more of the Midnight Sun and thei ...more
Carol Yu
Jan 25, 2011 Carol Yu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book to me is really one of a kind. I remeber reading one of his books about a year ago. It's addicting and ive been waiting for more of his series to come out ever since. It takes about a year for one of his books to come out so yea...
This genre most likely fit in to adventure and mystery. i usually dont like adventurous books but the way the author write this book using humor, pictures really caught my attention alot.
One of the theme that i can relate to is staying strong and never give
Michelle Thibaut
Jan 04, 2016 Michelle Thibaut rated it it was amazing
This book is a fun twist on writing and makes you never want to put it down. Saying this book is superb would be an understatement and if you love dark chocolate it is even better. The anonymous author Pseudonymous Bosch uses himself as a narrator so it makes the book much more interesting and amazing. The author uses your senses to pull you in and the other appealing thing is that it is based on a secret but is not the same as other mystery books because the secret is not revealed, (or at least ...more
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Please add page count 13 23 Feb 14, 2017 02:03PM
This book is not good for you; Book discussion. 6 28 Aug 29, 2014 07:36PM
Word game starting on a word from the book!! 7 23 Jan 06, 2013 06:02AM
What's The Name o...: Dystopian Chocolate [s] 9 74 Dec 17, 2012 03:13PM
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • Scumble (Savvy, #2)
  • A Catastrophe of Nerdish Proportions (Nerd Girls, #2)
  • Another Whole Nother Story (A Whole Nother Story)
  • The Candymakers
  • The Everafter War (The Sisters Grimm, #7)
  • The Calder Game (Chasing Vermeer, #3)
  • School of Fear (School of Fear, #1)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf (Sammy Keyes, #4)
  • The Puzzling World of Winston Breen (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #1)
  • The Empress's Tomb (Kiki Strike, #2)
  • Gilda Joyce: The Dead Drop (Gilda Joyce, #4)
  • Horton Halfpott; or, The Fiendish Mystery of Smugwick Manor; or, The Loosening of M’Lady Luggertuck’s Corset
  • We Are Not Eaten by Yaks (An Accidental Adventure, #1)
  • The Wyverns’ Treasure (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #3)
  • Till Death Do Us Bark (43 Old Cemetery Road, #3)
  • Look Into My Eyes (Ruby Redfort, #1)
Pseudonymous Bosch is the infamously anonymous author of the New York Times bestselling Secret Series and the Bad Books. Despite rumors to the contrary, his books are not actually written by his pet rabbit, Quiche; the rabbit is merely his typist.
More about Pseudonymous Bosch...

Secret (7 books)
  • The Name of This Book Is Secret (Secret, #1)
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
  • This Isn't What It Looks Like (Secret, #4)
  • You Have to Stop This (Secret, #5)
  • Write This Book: A Do-It-Yourself Mystery
  • The Secret Series Complete Collection

“You know, people always warn children about taking candy from strange adults. But they never warn us adults about taking candy from strange children.
All those sweet-looking kids who sell boxes of candy bars on the street to help pay for schooling - how do we know what's in those bars? And don't even get me stated on that nefarious institution designed to lure unsuspecting customers into buying mysterious frosted goodies: the bake sale.
Adults, be warned: if a child wanted to poison you it would be a piece of cake! Literally a piece of cake.”
80 likes