Start by marking “Dar: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary, Volume One” as Want to Read:
Dar: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary, Volume One

Dar: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary, Volume One (Dar! #1)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  20 reviews
As seen online at DarComic.com, DAR! chronicles the six year long autobiographical story of Erika Moen, a lost 20-year-old lesbian artist-wannabe in college who falls in love with a boy in England and the evolution that her sexual identity undergoes before winding up marrying him as a queer 26-year-old full-time cartoonist. Along the way there are many vignettes about sex,...more
Published April 2009 by Erika Moen

To ask other readers questions about Dar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dar

xkcd by Randall MunroeHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellGirl Genius, Vol. 1 by Phil FoglioWorm by wildbow
Best of the Web
58th out of 163 books — 162 voters
Teahouse, Chapter 1 by EmirainThe Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal Volume 1 by E.K. WeaverThe Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal Volume 2 by E.K. WeaverFun Home by Alison BechdelTeahouse, Chapter 2 by Emirain
Graphic Novels Featuring LGBTQ Themes
27th out of 151 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Eloise
This book makes me have feeeeelings. I first read Dar online in 2011 when I was going through a sexual identity crisis. Having met a guy, and fearing the LUG label, this comic fell into my life at exactly the perfect time to help me realize that human sexuality is both simpler and more complex than I had given it credit for.

Plus, fart and poop jokes.
Gayle Francis Moffet
Honest, funny, sexy, embarrassing, and cute as hell. Erika Moen has a natural talent for knowing which parts of her life are the best to share, even if those parts aren't the ones you think she'd tell you.

As it's a series of strips, there's not much to say about the ongoing narrative except that there is one, and it's very sweet and fun and sometimes it hurts a little, but the honesty Erika Moen gives in her work makes it all lovely.
Jennifer Hendzlik
I sat down with this as a much needed break from committee reading as it was a recent gift that had a lot of meaning behind it.

DAR is a honest and intimate look at a woman who is super funny, crass and finds herself in complete confusion when she gets a lady boner(omg, I could not write this without putting that in here) for a guy when she identifies as a lesbian. You know how people say how important it is to see self-representation in this life? I've felt that as a woman, I've felt that as a...more
SA
Oh, Erika Moen, you wonderful creature.

This and Volume Two are a mixed collection of Moen's autobio comics over a number of years. I never read Dar when it was active online, so it was fun to go back and read this for the first time. There were a couple in there that just made my heart squeeze; but knowing how happy she is now makes the darkness here all the more remarkable because you know what's happening next. (Moen and her husband reside in Portland and are regular figures on the comics sce...more
Raina
Love this. Moen wrote a regular webcomic for years and they are compiled in this book. I met her at a PLA gathering and we chatted for quite a while. So she signed my copy. It's a meandering story, which doesn't necessarily follow a set plot as it's just a regular autobio comic. However, she deals with being a lesbian who falls in love with a man, minutae of life, and other dramas of a young twentysomething coming to age. Great stuff, I can't wait for her next stuff.
Audacia Ray
Moen's approach to gender and sexuality is light and cute, and I definitely enjoyed the read.

I'm not a regular reader of her comics though, and this piece on the Bitch Magazine blog was pointed out to me, about a strip in which Erica fetishizes trans men http://www.bitchmagazine.org/post/rad...

Complex stuff, but basically - just because it's light and cute doesn't mean it isn't also transphobic and damaging.
Jody
I picked this up at TCAF without having read Erika Moen's stuff. I'm sort of glad I hadn't, because I would have made such an idiot fangirl out of myself had I read this first. Not to mention, within the first few pages I discovered we both had the same birthday and also studied in Aix-en-Provence. We should totally be friends!

I laughed out loud and was compelled to share these with friends. Can't wait to read volume 2.
Melody
I picked it up at my library and started reading it before my class. It was a little uncomfortable to be reading in public, though, what with the graphic nature of several of the pictures. So I took it home and finished it. It put me in mind of Ariel Schrag with its unflinching honesty and nakedness. Interesting stuff.
Jamie R
I adore her work. It's funny, honest, and doesn't flinch away from talking about sex and gender.

Her explorations of her identity as a lesbian who fell in love with a man aren't exactly topics you come across often, even in the feminist community, and I appreciate Erika sharing her voice and story with us.
Batz4books
Semi-biographical comics from a 20-something who thought she was a lesbian until she fell in love with and married a dude. Funny, irreverent, sophomoric, insightful, offers some interesting and humorous insight into bisexuality and some challenges society imposes, in comic format.
Rachel
I liked this a lot! It's a fun autobiographical story about a queer girl. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a more real-life, adult oriented comic. Please note however that it is intended for adults so it does have nudity and sexual situations in it.
Besha
May 03, 2011 Besha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I don’t particularly like diary comics, but this was recommended to me. Amidst the O I AM SO WHIMSICAL! MY LIFE IS SO QUIRKY! LOOK AT THIS CUTE THING THAT HAPPENED! I found a few strips that I read and reread and reread again because they touched a nerve. So.
Janet
Autobiographical comic by a young woman who lives in Portland. She posts DAR on-line, and this is the collection of it from when it "stopped sucking" until recently. It's well drawn and very funny. She's at turns vulgar, sexy, and heartfelt.
Christian Lipski
Moen is very very honest and funny about what she likes, what she doesn't, and everything in between. You want to know how a lesbian falls in love with a man? How a cartoonist makes end meet? Here it is. Dar! is full of laughs and love and farts.
Abbey
Nov 23, 2009 Abbey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comix
autobiographical webcomic now released in book form. erika's grapples with her changing identity in a hilarious, honest way. not afraid to poke fun at herself, and others.

enjoyable. 3.5 stars, if possible.
Angela Boyle
I literally laughed so hard I almost threw up. It took me about 5 minutes to calm down enough to set the book down. One of the funniest books I have read in a long time. If you like sex jokes. :)
Emily
Erika is hilarious. This is not at ALL a safe comic to read in public, and don't read the web version at work, unless your job is cool with sexybits.
Green
this girl is gross, annoying, repetitive, and over the top. Not for me, i suppose.
Kathy
Reading Dar always makes me happy!
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Kenny Kruse
Kenny Kruse marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Eva
Eva added it
Oct 12, 2014
Michelle D
Michelle D marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Deepanjali
Deepanjali marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
  • Kiss and Tell: A Romantic Résumé, Ages 0 to 22
  • The Infinite Wait and Other Stories
  • Will You Still Love Me If I Wet the Bed?
  • Tangles : a story about Alzheimer's, my mother, and me
  • Lucille
  • Blue Pills:  A Positive Love Story
  • Little Fish: A Memoir from a Different Kind of Year
  • Oglaf Book One
Erika Moen is a freelance cartoonist born June 25, 1983 and graduated with an Illustrated Storytelling self-designed degree from Pitzer College in 2006. She lives in Portland, Oregon where she has been a member of Periscope Studio since 2008. Having created comics for well over a decade, her work has been published by Dark Horse, Image, Villard and Scholastic, among many others. In addition to cre...more
More about Erika Moen...
Dar! Volume 2 Drawn to You: A conversation comic The Letter Q: Queer Writers' Notes to their Younger Selves Flight, Vol. 1 (Flight, #1) Smut Peddler