Wolf Cry

Wolf Cry

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Freydis has been left for dead following a raid by pirates on her father's Viking stronghold. Her brother has been kidnapped - and Freydis's father is hell-bent on revenge. But this is a volatile man who loathes his daughter and is driven by love of his son.
Published August 6th 2009 by Oxford University Press

Leeanna
This review originally appeared on my blog, Leeanna.me.

==

THE SILVER SEA is a book I enjoyed while reading. It’s a story of Viking adventure, featuring a sister and brother who overcome different challenges.

Freydis is the unwanted daughter of Ohthere, one of the king’s men. He believes his daughter is illegitimate, and puts her down at every turn. The apple of Ohthere’s eye is his son, Toki. Toki doesn’t share his father’s dislike of Freydis; when pirates attack their village, he hides Freydis....more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
First thing, which really does not matter at all, is that I cannot figure out why they changed the name of the book. The new name, Silver Sea, does not really have any correlation to the story. Yes, they spend a lot of time sailing on the waters, which are probably silver sometimes when the light shines off of them the right way, but there is actually a prophecy in the story referred to as 'Wolf Cry.' Pointless change is pointless.

Last year, I read my first book by Julia Golding: Dragonfly. Alth...more
Mackenzie (Oh, For the Love of Books!)
Review originally posted on: Oh, For the Love of Books!

After Freydis’ village is attacked while her father is away, she is injured and her brother is taken captive. Upon her father’s return Freydis and her newly bought slave Enno embark on a journey to save Toki. On this journey they learn about friendship, family, love and overcoming their differences.

Freydis may seem fragile but she has a quiet strength, something I came to love. She was resourceful, admirable and had spirit, especially when...more
Susan
“The world is filled with unlikely heroes.”

Norway, 880 A.D.
Sixteen-year-old Freydis and her older brother, Toki are awaiting the arrival of their Viking leader father, Ohthere after being away for almost a year. Unbeknownst to them, he will be leaving immediately to hunt down Sulke the Pirate, with whom he holds a blood grudge against. But before Ohthere’s arrival home, Sulke attacks the stronghold. After being wounded in the upper leg, Freydis is hidden by Toki in the new privy hole during the...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Freydis's father has never warmed to her. Still, his anger shocks her when he returns home to find their village destroyed and his daughter the only survivor. Never mind that Freydis is badly hurt. She takes her father's words bravely, but it breaks her heart.

She doesn't know what happened to her brother. Her father will take to the seas searching for him. At first, he wants to leave her behind, but Blue Man, the slave he bought her, convinces him...more
Lia Marcoux
Melissa
Rebecca
Although this book is aimed at young teenagers I was hooked from the start. The characters are so strong and she introduces a side to the Viking's I've never seen before in historical fiction and that is the many feuds they have between each other as individual raiders and leaders, the cost of family blood feuds over generations and also the little known impact Norse raiders had on the natives of Africa and the beginnings of the slave trade in black people.
The over all tale is truly captivating...more
ephrielle
The book was very engaging. I loved that it was about Vikings. This doesn't area of the world doesn't seem to have been milked dry yet. There was so much diversity in cultures. Enno was a great character. He was trying to learn to live with his lot in life yet not accepting it at all. Then he meets Freydis and things begin to get interesting. Now Freydis is quite the frail little thing. Or perhaps we shouldn't judge someone by what is on the outside. In the end she proved that it is the strength...more
Naomi Schmidt
Julia Golding has quite respectable range, and I found this historical Viking novel just as engrossing as her Companions Quartet and Cat Royal mysteries. I did find some of the descriptions a tad bit over the top and adjective-heavy, but overall a very enjoyable read, with strong characterization, suspense, and a bit of sword fighting. (I wouldn't have minded a bit more detail on that front, but I suppose that would have been just too much to hope for.) I even cried at the end (but I won't say w...more
Ellen
I'm a big Golding fan, and while this wasn't one of my favorites of hers, I still really enjoyed it. The combination of Freydis' issues as a girl struggling in male-dominated Viking society, and Enno's search for independence despite his enslavement added new, but not unbelievable elements to a period that I'm always surprised doesn't receive more attention in juvenile fiction. Maybe with the popularity of the Cressida books, we'll get more. In the meantime, this title, US-version, "The Silver S...more
Sarah Tilatitsky
I feel really sad and happy in this book. Really, it talks about denial and how women are worthless (women are NOT worthless!) in the eyes of some men. Yet, it talks about a famous theme: don't judge a book by its cover. Yeah, yeah, but it's told in such a better way that it makes you feel that yiou should go do it, and that sacrificing is for the sake of others and other things. But, all's well ends well. You should go read this book.
Jeanie555
Carol
YA book set in the Viking world. Interesting characters, great setting with lots of historical details (including about tribes of northern Europe like the Sami), full of action. For whatever reason I just couldn't get into it, but don't think it was the book's fault. Worth a look if you're in the mood for some action that doesn't involve vampires or other supernatural creatures.
KJ Grace
This is by far one of my favorite books now! Enno is the character I fell in love with, he is the essence of Protection. The way Golding wove deaths in was so beautiful. It didn't leave me in grief like many books do and for that I am grateful. This book was woven by caring and thoughtful hands. It was a joy to read "The Silver Sea."
Kate
I really enjoyed reading about the Vikings and the "blue man" among them. It was an enjoyable read, and I was stunned at the ending. Now, I get why it wasn't in first person POV. My only complaint was that the romance blossomed without building up like I would have liked.
Nata Sainz

I still cant believe it...
She finally got a chance to be happy and then she just...
OMG!!!
I loved it but at the same time i kinda hated it shes like the most important person in the story
And then she just DIESS!!
I still cant get it through my head.
Whitney Whiting
The vikings of history create a fascinating setting and plot for the teenaged main character and her family.
I enjoy the Cat Royal series also by Julia Golding, so when I found this book I was happy to find another well thought out and researched story.
Frezanda
It's an excellent book. I just thought the author is a bit cruel to make us falling in love with the character but end the story with such a tragedy. Really... I read the last few pages several times to check because I can't believe it happened.
Giulia
Different to what I was used to, so that was nice, but a little strange. I couldn't follow it too well and ended up liking the brother better than Freydis. Maybe her Dragonfly (the first book I read off her) has set too high a standard.
MJ
Historical fiction

Freydis is the ignored youngest child of an important Viking chief. Her village is destroyed, her brother kidnapped, her father away on a voyage. She sets everything right in the end, but at great cost.
Cory
I loved this book. The author obviously did a lot of research on the culture of vikings. And your heart just goes out to each character who suffers. The ending practically had me in tears on the floor of the school hallway.
Anna
Historical novel based in Norway/Vikings. A disabled heroine fight to save her clan. Great read no real subtext but well paced. Some detail on the battle injuries and violence. Good read for this age group 11/12-14
Julie
I really wanted to like this book. The story was actually a great idea, but it just dragged on to much. I was struggling reading it and then when I accidentally found out the ending :( I just gave up.
Pamela
I just started this yesterday about a young girl who's village is raided by vikings.Her brother is taken hostage as a slave and she sets out to rescue him. It is cool! Can't wait to read the rest.
Heather
The story was good enough, but not as good as Golding's Dragonfly or the Cat Royal series. I was a bit disappointed, as I was expecting something as good as those.
Tawnya
This book was really good, I absolutely loved the characters. Kirsten, I even almost cried at the end so I guess you can take that to mean that it is kind of sad, but really good.
Tara
It. Was. Awful. HOW DO YOU MAKE THE MAIN CHARACTER DIE IN THAT AWFUL CRUEL WAY?! Just when Enno saved her too! This bum.....have fun gettin' hit by axes Freydis?!
Cynthia
It was really good! If you read it, make sure you are really into it without any distractions or else you yell at the book instead of cry. It was amazing!
Rachel
The End 1 2 Oct 06, 2013 05:41PM
  • Liebe geht durch alle Zeiten (Edelstein Trilogie, #1 - #3)
  • Daughter of Fire and Ice
  • Lifesaving for Beginners
  • Rowan the Strange (Ivy, #3)
  • And by the Way… (Butterfly, #1)
  • Amelia Grey's Fireside Dream
  • King of Ithaka
  • Der König der purpurnen Stadt
  • Dinner at Rose's
  • The Haunting of Charles Dickens
  • A Mourning Wedding (Daisy Dalrymple, #13)
  • Extraterrestre... ou presque! (Le journal d'Aurélie Laflamme, #1)
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • Spy for the Queen of Scots
  • Proxy (Avalon, #0.5)
  • Shadow Spell
  • Das siebte Kreuz
  • Dragon Seer
Julia Golding grew up on the edge of Epping Forest. After reading English at Cambridge, she joined the Foreign Office and served in Poland.

On leaving Poland, she exchanged diplomacy for academia and took a doctorate in the literature of the English Romantic Period at Oxford. She then joined Oxfam as a lobbyist on conflict issues, campaigning at the UN and with governments to lessen the impact of c...more
More about Julia Golding...
Dragonfly Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1) The Diamond of Drury Lane (Cat Royal, #1) The Gorgon's Gaze (The Companions Quartet, #2) Mines of the Minotaur (The Companions Quartet, #3)